109 has changed my pup file - now its messed up

Using applications, configuring, problems
cobelloy

109 has changed my pup file - now its messed up

#1 Post by cobelloy »

hi there, I just put my old cd-burner back in my computer (since my dvdrw has died) and Ive burned 109 for a try, first boot I chose option 1 and there was a huge long list of items scrolling past very fast that said

MOVING xxx/xxxx/xxxx/xxx/xxxx MOVED

or something similar, where the xxx's are items from my 108 pup file, when 109 started I had all my stuff, like kde, and some other stuff I have installed (remember that kde doesnt just need the usr_more.sfs, but also requires two dotpups to work)

anyway, I use seamonkey browser/email that I installed from a tar.gz and as per some instructions here in the forum, it is set to work when you start up mozilla.

well seamonley didnt work, neither did gaim - I got a message about ssl libraries.

so I rebooted 108, and now I have exactly the same with 108, I cannot open seamonkey and get my email and gaim wont work either

what has happened??

Dougal

#2 Post by Dougal »

That's a problem with upgrading Puppy- it gets rid of all the files added to /usr but not registered with Pupget. That is, all the files that don't appear in one of the ".files" files in /root/.packages
What's the ugliest part of your body?
Some say your nose
Some say your toes
But I think it's your mind

cobelloy

#3 Post by cobelloy »

so my emails are all gone for good then, or are they retreivable?

rarsa

#4 Post by rarsa »

The upgrade does not delete data. just applications that are not registered with pupget.

I don't use client side email so I cannot help you here, but most people do and I haven't seen any complaints so before yo udo anything that may compromise them just ask (as you are doing)
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

MU

#5 Post by MU »

That is an annoying "feature", though it makes sense to avoid version-conflicts of libraries, that could stop puppy from functioning.
------------------------
Email are in /root/Mail.
Personal settings (Passwords etc.) are in /root/.xxx
where xxx is the program like sylpheed-2.0

I usually start with a new pup001 when I use a new Puppy.
Then I mount the old one (renamed it before booting to pup001-old):

mkdir /root/mount
mount -o loop /mnt/home/pup001-old /root/mount

Then I copy /root/mount/Mail and /root/mount/.sylpheed-2.0 and /root/mount/.mozilla to /root.

You must enable the "show hidden"-icon in Rox, I personally use the XFE-filemanager to do it. Emelfm is also good for copying files.

I also created a folder on a second harddrive, where I stored the most important Dotpups.
So after 15 minutes, I have back my personal settings from scratch.
For me it is ok, as like this I quickly get rid of lots of "test-dotpups" without uninstalling them manually.
For beginners it will be quite annoying, and I think Puppy2 drops this behaviour.

Mark

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

I do pretty much the same as MU.

- Always start a new version with a new pup001 file
- Keep data in a different partition (or pupdata file)
- Keep all the important dotpups in a single folder outside pup001
- Keep track of the important configuration files (e.g. rc.local) so I can reapply my changes after upgrading
- Keep the large applications (OpenOffice, Java full install, Limewire, etc) installed outside the pup001 file.
- Reinstall all the dotpups after upgrading
- Reapply my changes to the configuration files
- Recreate the links to the applications installed outside pup001

It sounds ominious, but I think that MU was exagerating about the 15 minutes, it does not take me more than 5. ;)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

rarsa wrote: It sounds ominious, but I think that MU was exagerating about the 15 minutes, it does not take me more than 5. ;)
takes me 5 minutes too (my record is three)
Well cobelloy you still hankering after them emails eh . . . after all my advice on IRC (I suggesting taking drugs and forgetting about emails - am I bad . . .)

OK

backups pup001's to HD - in pre Puppy 2 use mnt/home/
in Puppy2 your HD is in mnt/hda or mnt/hdb (if you have two)
BUT you must mount them to make them visible

I know you are using CD but if using DVD then consider using Multi-session - some people are also backing up to CD
and maybe can refer you that info. Is there a video?
Last edited by Lobster on Thu 25 May 2006, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

MU

#8 Post by MU »

well 1 gigabyte of games take some time to install ;)
Mark

rarsa

#9 Post by rarsa »

MU wrote:well 1 gigabyte of games take some time to install ;)
Mark
And you still have time for games?

I thought tinkering with Puppy was fun enough.

MU

#10 Post by MU »

in the last 3 weeks I did not play at all, except some minutes to test new dotpups.
But I start getting unconcentrated in programming, and will play some quake again in the next days to relax :P
Unfortunately we have rain and it is cold, I would prefer going to the beach instead :?

Mark

stlchuck

The upgrade blues...

#11 Post by stlchuck »

My sister had the same thing happen when she went from 1.0.8r1 to 1.0.9CE Beta2 - result was one of what Nathan refered politely to as a "terse" PM. What we learned from that is to copy the pup001 file to another location while running in RAM only - a simple drag and drop between two drives mounted in MUT - then rename one of the files as something like pup001-backup. Guess you could call this one of several mildly annoying problems in the Puppy 1.x.x series some of which have been at least partly addressed in Puppy 2. Others have said that the learning curve in linux can be quite steep but the help here on the forum does ease it a lot.Thanks to all you more advanced guys who take the time to work with us newbies.

cobelloy

#12 Post by cobelloy »

yeah - I know I should've backed up, and luckily I did have a 3week old backup that I could go back to - but its just a bit strange that gaim was affected, since I didnt even install that, it was part of 108 when I started using it, as for seamonkey - well I installed that from a tar.gz so it wasnt registered with pupget, but did 109 have to remove all my emails aswell as the seamonkey suite? Perhaps for 1.10CE there could be some kind of backup script that allows you to backup your pup file to a HDD or a USB drive or something before it goes ahead and removes everything. I had assumed that if there was a pup001 already there then option 1 would just create a new pup file and leave pup001 alone, or at least ask if it should use it or not - since I hadnt actually wanted to use that pup file, I was planning on having a play with a new pup file.

Nathan F

#13 Post by Nathan F »

Your email should still be there, you just have to reinstall seamonkey. Mail for Mozilla applications is usually kept in the .mozilla folder, inside a profile folder. Seamonkey most likely used a different preference folder than mozilla, but I can't imagine that the upgrade script would have removed it since it's not in /usr at all.

So like I said, reinstall seamonkey (preferable with exactly the same package you used before), fire up seamonkey mail, and you old mails should be right there. If they aren't I'm going to burn all my computers and get a manual typewriter...

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

Seamonkey is a pupget package

click on install (desktop)
pupget package manager
restart jwm (start / shutdown / restart)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

cobelloy

#15 Post by cobelloy »

yes seamonkey is a pupget package.......now, but it wasnt when I put it in. I will reboot to the damaged pup and try reinstalling seamonkey the hard way - but there are many other 'glitches' too like the gaim problem, I dont think I am going to be able to fix it all.

rarsa

#16 Post by rarsa »

cobelloy wrote:but there are many other 'glitches' too like the gaim problem, I dont think I am going to be able to fix it all.
Follow the recommendation to start fresh. Really.

Then you just have to move your data.

That will be faster and more effective.