Precise NOP 5.4.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gray

Precise NOP 5.4.3

#1 Post by gray »

Nearly Office Pup is an XFCE based puplet, so called because it is a no frills pup without office apps. The idea being that you install to USB pendrive and add an SFS file of the office package.

This release is based on Precise Puppy - remastered to add xfce 4.10 desktop in place of jwm / rox and replacing Seamonkey with Opera.
Other packages such as xsane, libphoto2, abiword, gnumeric, homebank, osmo, planner, geany, notecase, & more have been removed but can easily be added back using the PPM.

get preciseNOP-5.4.3.iso (137 Mb) from http://download.tuxfamily.org/nop

13 Jan 13 - Updated to v5.4.3
Barry's bug fixes since 5.4.1.1

25 Nov 12 - Updated to revision 1 (r1):
Upgraded Opera to 12.11
Added video thumbnailer
Included Service pack 5.4.1.1 (hope I haven't been premature)

Known problems:

If you install a gtk3 app I think it could screw things up
Last edited by gray on Sun 13 Jan 2013, 06:03, edited 2 times in total.

Ray MK

#2 Post by Ray MK »

Thank you gray - excellent as always - nice to have an xfce / opera Precise.
Very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.

Henry

Successful upgrade from RacyNop

#3 Post by Henry »

Good to see that Nop keeps up with puppy development!

I'm using the excellent RacyNop-5.3.2, which got rid of some unionfs problems in RacyNop-5.2.2r1.

I just renamed a racysave to precisesave and it upgraded with apparently no problems, except that some of my desktop files/menus need to be tidied up here and there.

Another nice thing is it finally got rid of the reboot lockup in RacyNop. (I always had to shutdown instead of reboot.) Looks like Precise fixed another Racy problem. But I think I'll let Precise mature a bit more before committing to it.

EDIT: That didn't take long. It does everything I need at least as well as before. Reading through the Precise-5.4.1 topic, it seems to have come out as well as any new release. And gray's integration of the NEW XFCE, with it's handy new features is very welcome, bringing us Nop users up to date.

Not everyone will like the confirmation required for "Permanently remove," but it's arguably a better choice.
EDIT: Whiie I can't delete /tmp, I can permanently remove its contents.

I have no intention to go back to any of the previous Nops - this is so much better.
Last edited by Henry on Sat 13 Apr 2013, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Precise NOP 5.4.1

#4 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.
I installed the proprietary nvidia driver and configured it to use two
monitors.
It's working well so far.
Attachments
monitor1.jpg
(66.9 KiB) Downloaded 8560 times
monitor2.jpg
(35.41 KiB) Downloaded 8426 times

Marv

#5 Post by Marv »

Henry wrote: EDIT:

Not everyone will like the confirmation required for "Permanently remove," but it's arguably a better choice. I don't understand why I can't delete /tmp. Probably there's a good conservative reason?

Hi Henry,

I change the Permanently remove command (In Thunar, Edit, Configure custom actions) to suit my suicidal nature. Make the command rm -rf %F, change conditions so everything is included, and give it a suitably scary icon. Agreed, xfce4.10 is the cats pajamas.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Henry

#6 Post by Henry »

Thanks, Marv!

LinuxUser531700

#7 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

First off, I've been waiting for this particular Puppy to come out. I was very happy to see it finally available.

I downloaded last night and tried to connect to the internet by wireless without luck. The WL module automatically loads, the wifi light on my laptop is on, I am able to scan for wireless, which I am able to locate my connection. I just can't connect successfully.

I had been using LXpup which has been working great for me. I checked the wireless module that is used and it is the B43.

I tried to unload all the modules in Precise, then load the B43 but got a message saying that if could not find an interface.

When I unloaded the WL module, I was asked if i wanted it blacklisted and I chose yes before trying to load the B43.

Anyone with any ideas how to get my wireless internet working?
Last edited by LinuxUser531700 on Sun 18 Nov 2012, 23:16, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

Wireless connection

#8 Post by Marv »

Linuxuser,

What type of key do you use? Probably not the case, but if WEP. in precise you need to preface the key with s: I'd kind of gotten out of the habit of doing so using Saluki/Carolina so it caught me for a bit.

Other than that, pretty smooth install on a Dell D610, a Dothan Pentium based laptop with intel Pro wireless and integrated intil i855 video. Sound, video driver and resolution fine. I'm an operaguy so that's fine.

Only real hitch I had was that I enabled the compositor, set panels to transparent and they were fine, then moved some items from the top panel to the bottom and at some point lost the transparency for the panel backgrounds and couldn't get it back. Checked and the compositor was working for other items, restarted X, the compositor, the panels, still only solid color bkground for the panels.

Won't be my daily driver as my main laptops are non-PAE but it's a pretty good do-over of precise in my humble.

Gray, if you see this. After quite a number of years my first choice for many of my rescue systems is STILL a tweaked and loved boxpup (4.12 based). Hard to beat for simplicity and justworks. :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

LinuxUser531700

#9 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

Marv,

Thanks for the reply....I am using a WEP key and I tried the prefix you mentioned....didn't work. As I mentioned previously, I am also using LXPup which is also a precise pup. The wireless connection works fine and I use no prefix.

Henry

PreciseNop brings relief from RacyNop's problems!

#10 Post by Henry »

For the past six months since RacyNop came out and I adopted it, leaving the troublefree QuirkyNop, I've been bothering myself and quite a few others with several problems, well documented in several discussion topics.

I will not repeat them here but to say they involved shutdown/logout/reboot problems and intermittent working of desktop drive icons. .

Precise 5.4.1 finally fixed the former, and replacing unionfs with aufs earlier in Racy fixed the latter.

Note that these were "puppy" problems, not "Nop" problems as such. I'm glad Barry caught them! Now I can stop complaining . . .

BTW my Atheros wireless, which had always been flaky in the Acer netbook is rock solid now - aufs?

Marv

Wireless

#11 Post by Marv »

Linuxuser,

Fuzzybrain me should have said alphanumeric WEP key. A HEX WEP key needs no suffix anywhere. Tried it again and my alpha key would connect with s: prefix, not without in PreciseNOP whereas in the Racy based Saluki/Lina neither needs a suffix. Sorry for the red herring.

Billtoo

Precise NOP 5.4.1

#12 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to the hard drive on an hp desktop pc.
I installed the proprietary nvidia driver and configured it to use two
monitors.
Report Video 1.4-Sun18Nov2012 on Precise Puppy 5.4.1 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
0.0VGAcompatiblecontroller:NVIDIACorporationGF108[GeForceGT430](reva1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF108 Board - 1071v0p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nvidia

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (524x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (382x302 millimeters)
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GT 430/PCIe/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version 4.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19
Direct Rendering Yes
Computer
Processor 6x AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1045T Processor
Memory 8310MB (296MB used)
I've installed several applications from ppm,vlc,kdegames,and geany.
It's working well so far.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(44.87 KiB) Downloaded 8055 times

rerwin

#13 Post by rerwin »

LinuxUser531700 wrote:I downloaded last night and tried to connect to the internet by wireless without luck. The WL module automatically loads, the wifi light on my laptop is on, I am able to scan for wireless, which I am able to locate my connection. I just can't connect successfully.

I had been using LXpup which has been working great for me. I checked the wireless module that is used and it is the B43.

I tried to unload all the modules in Precise, then load the B43 but got a message saying that if could not find an interface.

When I unloaded the WL module, I was asked if i wanted it blacklisted and I chose yes before trying to load the B43.

Anyone with any ideas how to get my wireless internet working?
Thanks for reporting your wifi issue. I am the person responsible for the recent update of the Broadcom-wifi support used in precise 5.4.1, so have an interest in understanding and solving your problem connecting. I would like to begin with your gathering some diagnostic data for me to analyze.

Please start with a pfix=ram bootup and go as far as you can to connect. Then, in a console, run pmodemdiag and post or PM the tar.gz file it creates. (Ignore that it is called pmodem... -- that is how it started but has been augmented.)

Then, use the BootManager to blacklist wl and reboot. That should start b43 and work as well as you are accustomed to. If it doesn't, please get another diag file (after renaming the first a bit).

Also, I see that LXpup comes in a precise version (vs. Slacko). Is that what you are comparing to? If not, could you try it, to see if it has the same problem?
Richard

LinuxUser531700

#14 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

Thank you Rerwin...blacklisting the WL module worked. I did PM you the pmodemdiag results.

On another note, I just tried downloading and installing Firefox from the PPM. Something went wrong, my icons and the letters are now all screwed up. I think that I must have broke something in my attempt to add Firefox.

Anyone know what may have happened?

01micko

#15 Post by 01micko »

LinuxUser531700

I need to ask you a few questions:

1. What type of install do you have? (full, frugal, usb, other)?

2. By "screwed up" what exactly do you mean? Being an XFCE based puppy the results will be somewhat different than a rox/jwm based pup. Any chance of a screen capture or photo?

There is an issue with full installs in Precise based pups when installing some stuff from the PPM. See here

Thanks
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

LinuxUser531700

#16 Post by LinuxUser531700 »

01micko

I have a full install.

I looked at the thread through the link you provided. It's pretty much the same issue....desktop icons disappear...words change to little boxes or funny little characters that don't make sense.

Sorry, no screenshots.

I'm curious, as I had mentioned with another issue, I had been using LXpup which is also a Precise Pup. I've downloaded and installed multiple software programs with their dependencies without any issues, including Firefox. I wonder why the difference.

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

LinuxUser531700 wrote: I'm curious, as I had mentioned with another issue, I had been using LXpup which is also a Precise Pup. I've downloaded and installed multiple software programs with their dependencies without any issues, including Firefox. I wonder why the difference.
Good question, but perhaps Jejy69 uses my approach as in Slacko. He first started LXpup dev on slacko-533. Maybe worth a post over there?

The possible cause is located in a script, /etc/rc.d/rc.update.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Billtoo

Precise NOP 5.4.1

#18 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to the hard drive.
Installed proprietary nvidia driver and configured it for two monitors.

Report Video 1.4-Mon19Nov2012 on Precise Puppy 5.4.1 - Linux 3.2.29 i686

Chip description:
0.0 VGAcompatiblecontroller:NVIDIACorporationG84[GeForce8600GT](reva1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver used: nvidia

X.Org version: 1.11.3
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (373x231 millimeters)
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (373x231 millimeters)
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce 8600 GT/PCIe/SSE2
Version 3.3.0 NVIDIA 310.19
Direct Rendering Yes
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
Memory 8310MB (165MB used)
I installed several applications using ppm.
It's working well.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(103.46 KiB) Downloaded 2317 times

papos

#19 Post by papos »

gongratulation for this
on puppy precise-5.4.1 I can't see the cursor when recording the desktop ( x11grab) with pavrecord or ffmpeg and different cursor
but pointer is ok with Nearly Office Pup :-)
I have installed openshoot and firefox 16
I look forward to have a videothumbnail in thunar 1.4
I compiled tumbler-0.1.25.tar.bz2 from http://archive.xfce.org/xfce/4.10/src and ffmpegthumbnailer-2.0.8.a.tar.gz
but have no succes to have video and raw thumbnails
have you a devx_precise_5.4.1.sfs for preciseNOP-5.4.1?

Henry

Keeping a Nop current as the base puppy changes

#20 Post by Henry »

Nops are remasters of a particular puppy version. When bugs are fixed or features are added in that puppy, how can the Nop version benefit from them?

We saw this in RacyNop when the bugs in 5.2.2 continued after they were fixed in Racy-5.3. (Some were fixed by ozsouth's hybrid of RacyNop-5.3.2.) What to do short of asking gray for a new remaster?

Barry already has a service pack for Precise-5.4.1:

http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00039

Is there a way for the non-technical user (me) to adapt changes such as this, or less radical pets?