Puppy does not play well with optical drive units.

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
Redpoco

Puppy does not play well with optical drive units.

#1 Post by Redpoco »

:?: Have tried on and off for the past several months to get puppy to work properly
using multi-session. At shut down it did not like my CD burner. It also did not like
my original DVD ROM unit. After boot-up the HD on IDE1 was not available. Knoppix
had no problem seeing it. By swapping units discovered that it was the DVD ROM unit.
It was slave on IDE1 and the HD was master on IDE1. Swapped out the DVD ROM unit with
another one now Puppy sees both HDs. Was not able to get Puppy to save to the CD Burner
so replaceed it with a Memorex DVD burner. Booted up on the DVD burner and about
half thru the boot-up process shortly after pup001 was mounted, a mesg. on the monitor
said "unable to open Cd unit". I don't have a CD unit installed only a DVD ROM ang the DVD
burner which was the boot-up unit.......Knoppix has always reconized all optical units but
it appears Puppy has severe shortcomings in this area.
Big qwuestion, why is Puppy so finnicky about the optical drives when Knoppix has no
trouble at all...........
Guess I'll stick with Knoppix because it WORKS......