'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elroy

Re: 'lina-lite - version 002

#91 Post by elroy »

Billtoo wrote:I started with a frugal install of the fixed 002.iso.
I tried the custom builder for the first time, created an iso and did
a frugal install of that iso on another pc.
All of the pets that I added were there but the ones that I had added
with ppm weren't, I've added them back plus installed the proprietary
nvidia driver etc.
Suspend works on this pc where it didn't on my original 002 frugal
install on the other pc.
The iso grew to 236.5 mb

EDIT:I used the following pets:
a52dec-0.7.4-i686.pet
a52dec_DEV-0.7.4-i686.pet
ffmpeg-1.0-i686.pet
ffmpeg_DEV-1.0-i686.pet
kernel_headers-3.2.13-c.pet
libgcrypt-1.5.0-i686.pet
libgcrypt_DEV-1.5.0-i686.pet
libgpg-error-1.10-i686.pet
libgpg-error_DEV-1.10-i686.pet
linux_headers_DEV-3.2.8-ski.pet
ltris-1.0.18-i686.pet
mplayer-export-2012-11-22-i686.pet
qt-everywhere-opensource-src-4.8.2-i686.pet
qt-everywhere-opensource-src_DEV-4.8.2-i686.pet
SDL-1.2.15-i686.pet
SDL_DEV-1.2.15-i686.pet
SDL_mixer-1.2.12-i686.pet
SDL_mixer_DEV-1.2.12-i686.pet
vlc-2.0.4-i686.pet
wavpack-4.60.1-i686.pet
wavpack_DEV-4.60.1-i686.pet
x264-snapshot-20121113-2245-i686.pet
x264-snapshot_DEV-20121113-2245-i686.pet
xine-lib-1.2.2-i686.pet
xine-lib_DEV-1.2.2-i686.pet
xine-ui-0.99.7-i686.pet
geany-1.22-i686.pet
geany_DEV-1.22-i686.pet
links-2.7-i686.pet
When using the custom-builder to build either a new adrive and/or a custom ISO file, the custom-builder will not include the pets installed on the host that you run the custom-builder from. The pets (and it can also use Sfs files) that you wish to include in the new build will need to be either downloaded from the repo manually using the download only option of the ppm, the web link to the repo, or an ftp client and then added to the build folder while running the custom-builder. Once the custom-builder is finished these pets will remain in that folder so that you may use them again for another build if you choose to do so at a later time.

Yes, depending on how many pets/sfs files you add, your custom ISO file will certainly grow proportionally. The beauty here is that it will only contain the packages that you find desirable.

During the custom-build it will give you the option of modifying the directory structure. It's there that you can do things like adding your custom wallpapers, adding the /root/.purple directory if you use Pidgin, or the /root/.mozilla and root/.thunderbird folder to keep your bookmarks and mail account settings intact if you use Firefox and Thunderbird. You can even copy the /usr/local/Frisbee directory to the adrive directory structure to store your internet settings on your new build if you'd like (of course you wouldn't want to do that if you're going to be giving your creation to the neighbors).

Billtoo

#92 Post by Billtoo »

elroy wrote: When using the custom-builder to build either a new adrive and/or a custom ISO file, the custom-builder will not include the pets installed on the host that you run the custom-builder from. The pets (and it can also use Sfs files) that you wish to include in the new build will need to be either downloaded from the repo manually using the download only option of the ppm, the web link to the repo, or an ftp client and then added to the build folder while running the custom-builder. Once the custom-builder is finished these pets will remain in that folder so that you may use them again for another build if you choose to do so at a later time.

Yes, depending on how many pets/sfs files you add, your custom ISO file will certainly grow proportionally. The beauty here is that it will only contain the packages that you find desirable.

During the custom-build it will give you the option of modifying the directory structure. It's there that you can do things like adding your custom wallpapers, adding the /root/.purple directory if you use Pidgin, or the /root/.mozilla and root/.thunderbird folder to keep your bookmarks and mail account settings intact if you use Firefox and Thunderbird. You can even copy the /usr/local/Frisbee directory to the adrive directory structure to store your internet settings on your new build if you'd like (of course you wouldn't want to do that if you're going to be giving your creation to the neighbors).
I've used the remaster script in other versions of puppy a few times, I didn't go through the one in lina-lite carefully enough but the iso it created is working nice just the same and I'm happy with the result :)

rg66

#93 Post by rg66 »

Thanks Marv and Elroy, I got the fixed distro specs in place. I think it would have been easier to dl the 24MB delta file, but I did learn a few things so it was worth the effort.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

sheldonisaac

#94 Post by sheldonisaac »

elroy wrote: 'lina-lite itself can be downloaded from here.
I downloaded -002 again.
Frugal installed.

Installed pmusic 3.01
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Can't play music from Internet streams.

Something about dependencies? libraries?
ffmpeg or gtkdialog ??

Any help will be much appreciated

elroy

#95 Post by elroy »

sheldonisaac wrote:
elroy wrote: 'lina-lite itself can be downloaded from here.
I downloaded -002 again.
Frugal installed.

Installed pmusic 3.01
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=31206

Can't play music from Internet streams.

Something about dependencies? libraries?
ffmpeg or gtkdialog ??

Any help will be much appreciated
Uninstall the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
Open the package manager and update the package lists.
Re-install the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
When you get to the following dialog...
...click 'Try to locate missing deps'. It will then download the ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5.pet (this one has the ability to do internet streaming. The gst-ffmpet-0.10.13-i486 does not). Ignore that it can't find gtkdialog - it's already installed. It will then download the pburn.pet. pMusic 3.0.1 should work (although not all of the stations will always work. You'll have to experiment to find working streams from the given choices). And be patient, pMusic is slow to load streams.

sheldonisaac

#96 Post by sheldonisaac »

(some snipping)
elroy wrote: Uninstall the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
Open the package manager and update the package lists.
Re-install the pmusic 3.0.1 pet.
... download the ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5.pet (this one has the ability to do internet streaming.

pMusic 3.0.1 should work (although not all of the stations will always work. You'll have to experiment to find working streams from the given choices). And be patient, pMusic is slow to load streams.
THANK YOU!!
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(11.65 KiB) Downloaded 1062 times

rg66

#97 Post by rg66 »

Replacing xfdesktop in /usr/bin with the one from saluki xfce-4.10.pet fixes the "dragging from the menu and dropping to the desktop removes the icon from the menu rather than copying it" problem.

Whether it changes anything else I'm not sure. I've only been using it for 10 min. so time will tell.

Edit: after 4 or 5 hours, no problems that I've noticed.

I've made a .pet to replace it and keep the old one as xfdesktop.bak just in case. Or dl the tar.gz and replace it manually.
You can get them here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... &start=420

Restart X after!

elroy

'lina-lite-003 is available

#98 Post by elroy »

'lina-lite-003 is available. See the first post on this thread for links.

New to version 0.0.3:

* You can now drag items from the main menu to the desktop to create a shortcut without the item being removed from the menu.

* The Notifications setting in the control panel now works.

* On first run in the Personal Preferences dialog, the firewall button now works correctly.

* When opening the package manager, if you are connected to the internet, the Carolina package list is automatically updated for you.

The 003 ISO is bigger than 001, but smaller than 002. The .delta file is tiny. If you know how to use .delta files to create an ISO, this would be the easiest way of obtaining 'lina-lite-003.

EDIT: forgot to mention that this includes the latest version of gtkdiaklog4 (latest version as of Nov 26, 2012). This version has added support for Glade.

Sage

#99 Post by Sage »

003: Might be nice to be greeted by a marginally more encouraging wall paper (dark blue works well) and/or re-offer the 'single' option in CP - but don't get hung up on it, it's far less important.
So far most things working just fine - that it boots satisfactorily is the main essential and it does. Tried to upload some packages I rarely use - they did, but I need to discover what extras, not only dependencies, needed for best deployment.
Later.
Tempting to give it a spin on a Cyrix300 using the cmov workaround that Linus and crew don't speak too highly of. Problem is my C300 didn't make it after my move, but there is a Puppy fan around that still has one functioning. Might have to resort to my very last K6-II and ttuuxx's new 2.14 ?! Unless of course el wants to push the boundary himself...
NB. prelim comments on Carolina004 thread, notably why is lite slower?

mavrothal

#100 Post by mavrothal »

lina-lite-003 has xfce4 settings (xfconf and xfwm4) in /root/.config in the base sfs and /root/.config/xfce4 in adrv.
Is there a reason for this?
The base sfs will fail to get to the desktop without the adrive in this setting.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

elroy

#101 Post by elroy »

mavrothal wrote:lina-lite-003 has xfce4 settings (xfconf and xfwm4) in /root/.config in the base sfs and /root/.config/xfce4 in adrv.
Is there a reason for this?
The base sfs will fail to get to the desktop without the adrive in this setting.
Yes, human error. I'll fix that in the next release. It is also the case with Carolina, too.

Peterm321

#102 Post by Peterm321 »

Experience of LINA_LITE_003 on a "Cedar Trail" Netbook

(Intel GMA 3600 / Realtek ALC272 sound)

On the plus side glxgears works, albeit slowly. I have tried Slacko and Swiftlinux: sound works on these but not glxgears.

The main difficulty with LINA LITE 003 is that the sound modules have been apparently compromised by the admittedly problematic cedar trail hardware in some way.

This is not limited to Lina, Saluki 009 works and Saluki 023 doesn't (neither did precise puppy) It may be related to the GMA500 drivers that produce an error in dmesg, in particular psb_gfx.ko produces a stack trace.

Most of the /dev/snd devices are not created, NB /dev/dsp is not created. The snd_intel_hda kernel modules get loaded. As far as the [other] kernels which do detect and load sound OK, in comparison it appears the right modules seem to get loaded in Lina except for the snd_realtek_codec that is not loaded.

Strace reveals that reloading alsa /etc/init.d/10alsa restart hangs on loading snd_seq_oss.ko and and snd_hda_intel.ko, the module state is held in a pending state and modprobe has to be manually killed off.

The Kernel does not allow forced removal of modules. snd_hda_intel refuses to unload.

The strace utility may be worth worth including in the Lina lite system.

Thanks

Marv

Standalone lina-lite-003

#103 Post by Marv »

Hi elroy,

Been remastering LL-002 as standalones, adding bugfixes, menus, themes... They have diverged quite a bit so for simplicity I started from scratch with 003, seeing what was the minimum I had to add to get a viable standalone SFS. I used the Nov 27 lina-xfce-4.10.pet as a base, fixed a couple of minor things, added in my panel and menu config files, made the Application Finder.desktop Toplevel so it could be merged, disabled firstrun by changing permissions otherwise it overwrote the panel config. Unsquashed the sfs, opened up group permissons, and manually added the 'pet'. I cannot get the tgz to upload. I know it's a good file.?? Anyway, a screenshot of the standalone is attached. SFS now 76MB. Everything else from here can be easily added by pet or sfs.

A couple of thoughts looking at the base SFS and the Nov 27 lina-xfce-4.20.pet:

1: The base SFS has the tumbler-1 symlink, no library file. The pet has the library file, no symlink. They are tiny, give both both.
2: The base has the correct and latest fstab rules in etc/udev/rules.d. The pet has the version with the separate cddetect-xfce script, but with the rules in /etc/rules.d. I put the latest version in /etc/udev/rules.d in my pet and eliminated the cddect-xfce script.
Attachments
Standalone.jpg
Standalone lina-lite-003 with slightly modified menu and panel
(54.97 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

Re: Standalone lina-lite-003

#104 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Hi elroy,

Been remastering LL-002 as standalones, adding bugfixes, menus, themes... They have diverged quite a bit so for simplicity I started from scratch with 003, seeing what was the minimum I had to add to get a viable standalone SFS. I used the Nov 27 lina-xfce-4.10.pet as a base, fixed a couple of minor things, added in my panel and menu config files, made the Application Finder.desktop Toplevel so it could be merged, disabled firstrun by changing permissions otherwise it overwrote the panel config. Unsquashed the sfs, opened up group permissons, and manually added the 'pet'. I cannot get the tgz to upload. I know it's a good file.?? Anyway, a screenshot of the standalone is attached. SFS now 76MB. Everything else from here can be easily added by pet or sfs.

A couple of thoughts looking at the base SFS and the Nov 27 lina-xfce-4.20.pet:

1: The base SFS has the tumbler-1 symlink, no library file. The pet has the library file, no symlink. They are tiny, give both both.
2: The base has the correct and latest fstab rules in etc/udev/rules.d. The pet has the version with the separate cddetect-xfce script, but with the rules in /etc/rules.d. I put the latest version in /etc/udev/rules.d in my pet and eliminated the cddect-xfce script.
Thanks for the info, Marv. Yeah, for the next version, I'm gonna have to revisit the xfce stuff. I wanted to make it more modular to allow someone to remove it if they'd like a different window manager, but it seems it'd be a better idea to place it in the base sfs. That way even with an empty adrive the desktop would still be there. I've got a few things to think about concerning that, and how to implement it cleanly. I'm guessing that there will be a few more bug-fix versions before a release candidate makes an appearance.

If you find anything else, please let me know, either here or by pm if applicable.

Marv

Standalone lina-lite-003

#105 Post by Marv »

Thanks for the info, Marv. Yeah, for the next version, I'm gonna have to revisit the xfce stuff. I wanted to make it more modular to allow someone to remove it if they'd like a different window manager, but it seems it'd be a better idea to place it in the base sfs. That way even with an empty adrive the desktop would still be there. I've got a few things to think about concerning that, and how to implement it cleanly. I'm guessing that there will be a few more bug-fix versions before a release candidate makes an appearance.
It really made life simpler having it separate with xfce moving from 4.80 to 4.10 and all the expected speedbumps. Once the xfce is settled down AND we're all more used to it, I like having it in the main sfs, but precious little else. I'm going to do a bit of theme pruning and then use the standalone as my daily.

Edited Nov 28: After pruning, main sfs size now 64.6MB. Using daily.

Thanks for supporting the lite sandbox for the tinkers.
Last edited by Marv on Thu 29 Nov 2012, 16:16, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

Re: Standalone lina-lite-003

#106 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:
It really made life simpler having it separate with xfce moving from 4.80 to 4.10 and all the expected speedbumps. Once the xfce is settled down AND we're all more used to it, I like having it in the main sfs, but precious little else. I'm going to do a bit of theme pruning and then use the standalone as my daily.

Thanks for supporting the lite sandbox for the tinkers.
Well, to be honest the reason I did lite is due to a bit of selfishness. This is what I would have wanted in a puppy distro, and that's why I pursued it. I honestly didn't expect that there would be any interest in it, It's encouraging to know that others feel as I do about lite. It's what I use for my daily, too.

If in the future if I move it to the main sfs, I could remove all of the themes 'cept for one.

rg66

#107 Post by rg66 »

Removed Pidgin and deps (gnutls, farsight). Restarted X, thunar takes 20 -30 sec to open. Played around a bit and it seems gnutls is causing issues when uninstalled.

Edit: gnutls and gvfs-smb share some libs, at least libgcrypt and libgpg-error. It seems that uninstalling gnutls leaves gvfs-smb without those giving me the slow thunar issues I had when using the Carolina gvfs-smb which was also missing those libs. I will assume that uninstalling gvfs-smb will also cause gnutls issues.

elroy

#108 Post by elroy »

Currently working on the lina-lite-004 prototype. If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Sage

#109 Post by Sage »

This is turning out to be a cracking release, el., and very popular amongst the natives.
Might it be possible to reduce the footprint even more as there is still some duplication between the standard Puppy menu entries and the Xfce control panel which is comprehensive? Maybe that might make it non-Puppy?! In which case, you really have inadvertently created a new project? May be able to squeeze in an opening text (text is 'cheap') panel (e.g. click here to get a basic browser? click here to d/l basic apps from the PPM? what else would help neophytes?) with some explanations and guidance, along with that misty wolfy-tree-thing wallpaper which is somewhat more welcoming? Sorry not able to offer tech. suggestions, only the user viewpoint. Recalling (again) that one of our greatest physicists/mathematicians felt that elegance of an LCD solution should be expressible in a single-line. Maybe it was Dirac? Probably the birth of the K.I.S.S. principle. Surely must apply to coding?

mavrothal

#110 Post by mavrothal »

Hi elroy,
lina-lite is aimed at "seasoned" users but I think the following would be nice.
After establishing a connection for first time (fist run or later) an app similar to "default apps" is coming up, but the drop down list for each category has the apps and (backend) links to the relevant pets in the repo.
Just the basic apps. Browsers, editors, movie- and music-players, document- and image-viewers and *maybe* business("office") apps and "utilities".
I would think that the PPM/adrive builder infrastructure can be used and the app just needs to make the calls. The fact that lina is using a single repo should make life easier.
Is probably too much since people that download it know what lina is, but still a nice addition to an "apps-free" pupplet.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==