'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#46 Post by rg66 »

Pupsaveconfig isn't giving me the save interval option like it did in Carolina or Saluki.
Attachments
PupSave-Lite.png
(12.56 KiB) Downloaded 1323 times
PupSave-Carolina.png
(28.59 KiB) Downloaded 1342 times
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

elroy

#47 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Pupsaveconfig isn't giving me the save interval option like it did in Carolina or Saluki.
If you'll notice, the version numbers are different. Carolina-003 upgraded the PupSaveConfig to the latest version (at that time). However, since then Shinobar has posted that v.2.2.4 had a bug and has since released v.2.2.5. If you prefer the 2.2.2 version, you can download the pet here. However, you may want to try the v.2.2.5 as it works much the same as v.2.2.2. It'll be included in Carolina-004 when the time comes if a newer version isn't available by then.

rg66

#48 Post by rg66 »

Ya, I knew they were different versions. In Saluki or Carolina is doesn't matter which version, it gives me the interval option. In lite, no matter which version it doesn't.

Edit:

Boot without save file. Install v2.2.2, make save file. Reboot, no interval option.

Boot without save file. Install v2.2.5, make save file. Reboot, no interval option.

Geoffrey

#49 Post by Geoffrey »

rg66 wrote:Ya, I knew they were different versions. In Saluki or Carolina is doesn't matter which version, it gives me the interval option. In lite, no matter which version it doesn't.

Edit:

Boot without save file. Install v2.2.2, make save file. Reboot, no interval option.

Boot without save file. Install v2.2.5, make save file. Reboot, no interval option.
It's working for me in Carolina003 on usb, sounds as if it don't know what mode it's running in

this gives me mode 13

Code: Select all

PUPMODE=`cat /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE |head -n 1|cut -f2 -d=`;echo $PUPMODE
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

rg66

#50 Post by rg66 »

Thanks Geoffrey, it's was in mode 12. I'm using a sata frugal install, I changed isolinux.cfg to pmedia=ataflash and it's working now.

Marv

xfce4-panel-mounter

#51 Post by Marv »

I added CD support to the rules. In order to do so I had to create a script, cddetect_xfce and run it from the rules. Put it in /sbin with the other cddetect scripts. Data cds only shown on the panel mounter. Pet attached for testing (this is the lite and wild side). It has the rules for both USB and CD.

Edited: Runs ok on my remastered Saluki023 also. It would be interesting to see how it does on Grays latest xfce4.10 NOP. I'll try that eventually but it means retrieving my sole PAE laptop. Back up first or just ignore the nag about overwriting existing 60-fstabd.rules. No changes made to pmount, desktop mount, or thunar, only to fstab filling used by the xfce4 panel mount plugin.

Edited: No go with Precise based NOP. fstab and fstab support gone in Precise, so xfce panel mount shows only devices mounted via desktop or pmount. Pretty quick look and back to the OK corral.

Edited: updated to version 002. More reliable creation of /mnt/sr?

Edited: Implemented as pure UDEV rules, no script, same action. Arrached below.

Edited: Pure rules now version 004. same action as 003.
Attachments
UDEVrules_xfcemounter.pet
Version 004. Same CD and USB support. Cleaner in that everything is within the UDEV rules. No cddetect_xfce script
(638 Bytes) Downloaded 606 times
cddetect_xfce.pet
Version 002, CD and USB support for xfce4.10 panel mounter. Tested in 'lina=001 and Saluki023.
(735 Bytes) Downloaded 642 times
Last edited by Marv on Tue 20 Nov 2012, 01:21, edited 2 times in total.

elroy

#52 Post by elroy »

I've updated the lina_xfce-4.10.pet in the repo with this. It certainly works better than the rule-set that was included. It may not be perfect as of yet, but it is progress. Also, with the update, when building a new adrive via the custom-builder, the panel mount plugin should now display no error, and allow mounting as well as un-mounting. I've also added a re-compiled notifyd, so that notifications should be working.

Marv

#53 Post by Marv »

I'm done now. Had a lot of chilling out time with the dermatologists so... Version 002 and 003 should work identically. In one sense 003 is simpler as no extra script is needed, but it galled me to have to put cd detection routines in the rules in 003 but NO udev attributes distinguish disk/nodisk/data/audio and it's not friendly passing variables. UGH

Nice to be be back to Saluki/Carolina land after my brief visit to Precise, even a Grayed Precise. Polished!

PS. on blacklisting filesystems in the panel mounter, It won't do wildcards so the list has to be /dev/fd0 /dev/loop0 /dev/loop1 . .. up to loop5 for me.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#54 Post by rg66 »

Gvfs-smb seem to break something in thunar. After install and restart x, thunar takes over 20 seconds to open and network is missing from the side pane. Using go>network from the menu bar gives network error. After uninstall thunar remains broken, back up your save file first if you try it.

Gvfs-smb works in carolina-003 though, which I am assuming is using the same lina_xfce-4.10.

Marv

Main menu

#55 Post by Marv »

Noticed that Run Program... shows up both in the system menu body and in the Utilities menu. In my case I don't use either so I appended NoDisplay=true to the end of BOTH Run Program... desktop files in /usr/share/applications to hide them. Also moved Save to the main menu body since I run with an iconless desktop. Small'tings

And a big HURRAH for the non-nested main menu in 'lina vs the 'traditional' pup menu in precise etc. Can't think of anything offhand I can't get to faster with it.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

01micko

#56 Post by 01micko »

Hello elroy and Geoffrey,

Nice job in 'lina lite. I thought I'd give it a spin on my compaq-cq-60, intel cantiga graphics and it performs well from an USB install.

I didn't find a text editor.. (oh, you have MP) but I just think Leafpad would be a nice touch, or even MP with gtk. Of course I realise your goal is minimum apps so a user can customise. I guess you can ignore my request at will!

Just a slight OT, can you point me to the latest frisbee package you use please?

Thanks.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Geoffrey

#57 Post by Geoffrey »

01micko wrote: can you point me to the latest frisbee package you use please?

Thanks.
Hi 01micko,

Glad you like it, elroy will be pleased, I haven't even tried the lite myself yet :oops:

the frisbee used is http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packag ... beta-4.pet
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Marv

More panelmounter

#58 Post by Marv »

To be able to mount internal drives using the panel mounter that have not previously been mounted via thunar/desktop using pup-volume-monitor. use the following as the custom mount command in the xfce panel mounter:

sh -c '[ ! -d %m ] && mkdir -p %m ; mount %d'
Just creates a mountpoint. As with pup-volume-monitor, once created they are persistent until reboot.

As an aside, elroy, A reinstall of xfce4.10 using the lina version didn't get me thumbnails. I then installed xfce-4.10-i486 and had thumbnails. I uninstalled it (seemed completely stripped using terminal to look) and then reinstalled using lina_xfce-4.10 from the repository. Had backed my panel configuration and it came back correctly. I now have thumbnails. I infer from this that a clean install of the lina version works.

Edited: OOPS. Didn't survive a reboot. Back to nothumbnails.

Marv

rules.d location in lina_xfce-4.10.pet

#59 Post by Marv »

elroy, I was comparing this pet with the i486 one wrt thunar icons and noticed that the rules.d directory is directly in /etc. It should be /etc/udev/rules.d/60-fstabd.rules. Pure udev rules updated to version 004 in above attachment. All versions work the same.

elroy

Re: More panelmounter

#60 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:To be able to mount internal drives using the panel mounter that have not previously been mounted via thunar/desktop using pup-volume-monitor. use the following as the custom mount command in the xfce panel mounter:

sh -c '[ ! -d %m ] && mkdir -p %m ; mount %d'
Just creates a mountpoint. As with pup-volume-monitor, once created they are persistent until reboot.

As an aside, elroy, A reinstall of xfce4.10 using the lina version didn't get me thumbnails. I then installed xfce-4.10-i486 and had thumbnails. I uninstalled it (seemed completely stripped using terminal to look) and then reinstalled using lina_xfce-4.10 from the repository. Had backed my panel configuration and it came back correctly. I now have thumbnails. I infer from this that a clean install of the lina version works.

Edited: OOPS. Didn't survive a reboot. Back to nothumbnails.
Very good stuff as always, Marv, but I have to ask...what lite version are you running?

rg66

#61 Post by rg66 »

After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.

I've made a pet to add it or just dl the tar.gz and add it manually. You can get them here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 827#665827

Marv

lina-lite version

#62 Post by Marv »

Hi elroy,
Very good stuff as always, Marv, but I have to ask...what lite version are you running?
I'm running lina-lite0-001 from the link in the first post on this thread. Is there another version? Looks like rg66 has the thumbnails back. Havent tried his fix yet.

Marv

thunar thumbnails

#63 Post by Marv »

rg66 wrote:After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.
Works for me. THANKS rg66

elroy

#64 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.

I've made a pet to add it or just dl the tar.gz and add it manually. You can get them here http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 827#665827
Thanks for that, rg66. I'll use that for 002.

elroy

Re: lina-lite version

#65 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:Hi elroy,
I'm running lina-lite0-001 from the link in the first post on this thread. Is there another version? Looks like rg66 has the thumbnails back. Havent tried his fix yet.
No...you're using the version that I'd be using...just wanted to make sure it wasn't an older "light" version. I'm going to add this and your pm'd probepart4. It's good stuff, and I meant no disrespect by asking you what you're currently running int on...just had to be sure.