'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
RAC0902

#211 Post by RAC0902 »

Hi

I have been trying to run Lina-lite on a HP Neoware CA21 (E90) thin client from a USB pendrive but the boot process hangs when it gets to: Recognising Media Device - Optical Input

I guess this a hardware issue as I can boot lina-lite on my laptop using the same pen-driv e with no problems, however I don't have problem booting both Saluki & full Carolina on the thin client though Caorlina does run very slow. The thin client has a VIA Eden 800mhz processor + 1GB RAM.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any clues? Have been using Saluki on a couple of devices for the last year but would consider myself as an inexperienced linux user.

Rich

Marv

#212 Post by Marv »

RAC0902 wrote:Hi

I have been trying to run Lina-lite on a HP Neoware CA21 (E90) thin client from a USB pendrive but the boot process hangs when it gets to: Recognising Media Device - Optical Input

I guess this a hardware issue as I can boot lina-lite on my laptop using the same pen-driv e with no problems, however I don't have problem booting both Saluki & full Carolina on the thin client though Caorlina does run very slow. The thin client has a VIA Eden 800mhz processor + 1GB RAM.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, any clues? Have been using Saluki on a couple of devices for the last year but would consider myself as an inexperienced linux user.

Rich
Just an aside from a diehard lina-lite 005er. Don't have an answer on the optical hang, but have you run Carolina 1.1 with the adrive hidden (by renaming)? Basically on my Pentium M's, that or Carolite 1.1 are just about as fast as my well honed lite 005 and a bit more up to date wrt internal scripts, progs etc.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

RAC0902

#213 Post by RAC0902 »

Marv thanks for the reply. I'm a bit of a noob to linux and so the command line is still something of a mystery, but I will do a search on hiding the adrive to see if I can find a walk through.

Cheers

sheldonisaac

re adrive, zdrive, etc

#214 Post by sheldonisaac »

(SOME SNIPPAGE)
Marv wrote:adrive hidden (by renaming)? Basically on my Pentium M's, that or Carolite 1.1 are just about as fast as my well honed lite 005 and a bit more up to date wrt internal scripts, progs etc.
Thanks, Marv.
I just renamed the adrive in Carolite 1.1; boots fine on this Pentium M, a Dell D610 laptop.

Please excuse; where can I (an old newby) find an explanation of why to use adrive, zdrive, etc?

I had replaced the 'lina-lite files in my lina folder with those of Carolite 1.1, but haven't done much with it.

Thanks,
Sheldon
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P

rg66

#215 Post by rg66 »

RAC0902 wrote:Marv thanks for the reply. I'm a bit of a noob to linux and so the command line is still something of a mystery, but I will do a search on hiding the adrive to see if I can find a walk through.

Cheers
All you have to do is rename adrv_lina_xxx.sfs or remove it from your flash drive.
sheldonisaac wrote:Please excuse; where can I (an old newby) find an explanation of why to use adrive, zdrive, etc?

I had replaced the 'lina-lite files in my lina folder with those of Carolite 1.1, but haven't done much with it.
Basically adrive holds user apps and zdrive has the driver modules. Having them separate makes it a little easier to change apps and kernels. You can also boot without the adrive and have a functioning system minus the apps.

For Carolina-non-pae we basically swapped in the lina_lite zdrive along with vmlinuz and the initrd.gz and changed DISTRO_SPECS in /etc in the main sfs.

For Carolite it was the same we but also made a much smaller adrive and stripped a few things from the main sfs.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

#216 Post by Marv »

@RAC0902,

Sorry I wasn't more explicit about renaming, there is a rightclick to do that in the file manager. Another approach I use for 'hiding', particularly if there are several items in a directory such as /root/Startup or /etc/init.d that I don't want run at the present time is to make a directory called unused in those directories (another rightclick), and move the items I want to 'hide' into it using the file manager. That makes it easy to retrieve them if I've goofed. I often start out with no adrive, add the applications I really want using pets, debs, or manually, then at some point just start the system with pfix=ram, mount the savefile, check for junk, and convert it to an adrive. All good rightclick learning fun and so long as you have backup copy (or copies) of the savefile a pretty harmless way to learn. Then, everything I've done up to that time is in an adrive and I can start with an empty savefile. Lots of ways to walk that dog, that's my lazy approach.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

RAC0902

#217 Post by RAC0902 »

Marv & rg66 thank you for your patient replies. Now found the adrive file on the pendrive and so will rename it and see if lina-lite then loads.

Keep you posted

RAC0902

#218 Post by RAC0902 »

Tried again with lina-lite.005 last night but still couldn't get it to load as the boot always hangs at the same place.

Renamed the adrive on Carolina 1.1 and that loaded fine. Have only installed Firefox so far and it does seem a bit faster than before but I guess with only a VIA Eden 800mhz processor +1gb RAM it's never going to be quick.

inoxidabile

#219 Post by inoxidabile »

Hmm... it sounds like it happens to me some months ago.
It's nice... it was again a thin client (HP) that wasn't able to recognize only certain usb memory and not all external drive
I found an external "compatible" dvd drive it was ok but only with certain puppy versions.
The best was with 4.x and nothing to do with other (e.g. with 5).

I found some tricks but too difficult for me and I remember it was something about the "lack of wait for some peripherals" to be ready and/or to load some drivers.

To sum up: it's due to hw and there wasn't anything to do, in terms of sure+quick (+ simple...) solution, moreover iIt happened not only to me.

To the aim of have a frugal install I have had to boot with a certain version and to copy the needed files to internal HD from an other source.

rg66

#220 Post by rg66 »

RAC0902 wrote:Tried again with lina-lite.005 last night but still couldn't get it to load as the boot always hangs at the same place.

Renamed the adrive on Carolina 1.1 and that loaded fine. Have only installed Firefox so far and it does seem a bit faster than before but I guess with only a VIA Eden 800mhz processor +1gb RAM it's never going to be quick.
Renaming or removing the adrive wouldn't help anyway, there's nothing on it but user apps. The lina-lite adrive only has leafpad in it,

Carolite uses the same kernel as lina_lite so it will probably have the same problem.

If your going to run Carolina without the adrive, you should install Gconf and gnutls from the repo if you want to be able to browse network shares through thunar. This will be fixed in v1.2.

starhawk

#221 Post by starhawk »

@RAC0902 -- CaroLite 1.1 hangs in the same place on my somewhat modified Neoware CA19 ;) I've a post in that thread about that.

Marv

#222 Post by Marv »

RAC0902 wrote:Tried again with lina-lite.005 last night but still couldn't get it to load as the boot always hangs at the same place.

Don't know how you're booting, but since you are playing with it, have you tried passing --ignore-cd as a boot parameter? Below is my Grub4Dos entry for lina-lite. Just a flier.

Code: Select all

title LinaLite005, remaster2, has basics in main sfs @92Mb total glibc patched
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /LinaLite005_RM2/initrd.gz
  kernel /LinaLite005_RM2/vmlinuz   psubdir=LinaLite005_RM2 pmedia=ataflash pfix=copy ipv6.disable=1
  initrd /LinaLite005_RM2/initrd.gz

RAC0902

#223 Post by RAC0902 »

rg66 wrote:
Renaming or removing the adrive wouldn't help anyway, there's nothing on it but user apps. The lina-lite adrive only has leafpad in it,

Carolite uses the same kernel as lina_lite so it will probably have the same problem.

If your going to run Carolina without the adrive, you should install Gconf and gnutls from the repo if you want to be able to browse network shares through thunar. This will be fixed in v1.2.
Thought that would be the case but it was worth a try. There is a user 'starhawk' over on the Carolina 1.1 thread using a different Neoware thin client client with exactly the same problem as me, so I guess it's a hardware issue.

Will experiment with Gconf and gnutls as suggested, I am currently using Pnethood as my network is a mixture of windows & linux :)

rg66

#224 Post by rg66 »

RAC0902 wrote:Thought that would be the case but it was worth a try. There is a user 'starhawk' over on the Carolina 1.1 thread using a different Neoware thin client client with exactly the same problem as me, so I guess it's a hardware issue.
Looks as though your thinclient doesn't have an optical drive, I'm wondering if that's why it's failing to run. I've edited rc.sysinit to bypass detecting optical drives if you'd like to try it out.

Boot into Carolina and right click on the lina_lite puppy_lina_005.sfs and select repack-extract packages > Convert > SFS. It'll open thunar with the extracted sfs and replace /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit with the one below (extract it first). Click the build button > choose compression type (original is xz) and choose where to save it (current dir will overwrite the original). If it works, it should also work with Carolite and Carolina-non-pae as well.
Attachments
rc.sysinit.gz
(10.97 KiB) Downloaded 402 times

sszindian

movie flicker

#225 Post by sszindian »

When playing a 'Hulu' movie, I am experiencing a lot of 'Flickering' with black lines on both the minimal and full-screen play within the movie itself (not the entire screen) I have tried both the latest Firefox and Seamonkey browsers and it's the same. The graphics are great as well as the audio/video working together.

Appreciate any suggestions or a fix!

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

zagreb999

wps office on lina lite 005

#226 Post by zagreb999 »

MR.,
CAN YOU INSTALL
WPS-KINGSOFT OFFICE
ON LINA LITE 005?

REGARDS.