'lina-lite - version 005

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Marv

xfce4-panel-mounter

#16 Post by Marv »

elroy wrote:
Marv wrote:install (or reinstall) pup-volume-monitor-0.1.8-i486 from the repositor
No, it's not a reinstall. It wasn't included (although I may need to revisit that for 002). There is a newer version of the pup-volume-monitor in the repo - v.0.1.10.
Gotcha, thanks. installed the v.0.1.10. Played a bit more with the xfce4-panel-plugin-mounter. Indeed, it does take its drive info from the fstab in /etc, and pup-volume-monitor via its fstab rules and fstabd is entering sdb and not sdb1 into the fstab. Using pup-volume-monitor-admin --listen -d rv it appears that the volume monitor is reporting an add event for both sdb and sdb1 and then possibly a change event to sdb1 on USB insertion but only the sdb is entered into fstab. Stuck there for now. Brain smoking. Must like puzzles cause pmount works correctly and quickly now in the panel.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Marv

notifications

#17 Post by Marv »

Notifications (on save2flash or network setup for example) were not working at all on my 001 install. Installed xfce4-notifyd from the repo ( it said some files were installed but didn't show up in the control panel). Notifications then worked fine, set to default, removed notifyd, and they continue to work. Survived a reboot.

Like pup-volume-monitor, it's not small, but might save some bamboozlement if added in initially.

I can't really find much to eliminate in trade other than icons and fonts. I use hicolor and or Neu blue which are both quite a bit smaller than the Aw0ken_full and swap out the DejaVu for Bitstream Vera and Arial though that fontswap makes it much less international. Limiting icons to hicolor seems fair in a Lite version though.

Pretty minor bumps. Basically it flies as advertised. WELL!
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Sage

#18 Post by Sage »

Another hero rides to assist! Well done, M.
After banging on about size for a couple of years, it's extremely encouraging that el has taken up the cudgels, produced the goods and shown that there are multiple benefits from a reduced-fat .iso. So much more skill and insight than just adding an endless succession of libs & co. to placate the bleating hordes! The silent majority will come to realise the magnitude your significant contributions. This distro is seriously G-O-O-D.
Anyone for a 50M version.....

dawg

#19 Post by dawg »

Regarding the version numbering: why 001, and not 003, or is Lite so much different from the Carolina 003 ?
The thing is, it tends to add to the confusion, especially for newcomers, as now you have 3 distros of the same kind (Saluki, Carolina, Lina Lite -??), which, IMO, all could/should have been one. Is all this branching really necessary?
Just something to consider...

Anyhow, Lina Lite - excellent idea and much appreciated!
Thanks, elroy & everyone who contributes to it!
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

Billtoo

'lina-lite-001

#20 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to hard drive on emachines laptop.

VIDEO REPORT: lina-lite, version 001
Chip description:
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS690 01.00
Driver used by Xorg:
radeon
Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Memory 1812MB (164MB used)
Display
Resolution 1280x800 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.8-ski (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 12 16:42:30 EET 2012
OpenGL
Vendor Mesa Project
Renderer Software Rasterizer
Version 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3
Direct Rendering Yes
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY

VLC works with the radeon driver.
One problem that I have is that the internal dvd drive
isn't seen by pmount, I plugged in my usb cd/dvd drive and
it is seen and mounts no problem.
Lina-lite is working well apart from the dvd drive problem.

EDIT:Installing pup-volume-monitor in ppm fixed the dvd drive problem.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(54.02 KiB) Downloaded 1163 times

Sage

#21 Post by Sage »

Don't forget to restart X after installing pup-volume-monitor.

Marv

xfce4-panel-plugin-mount

#22 Post by Marv »

This is kind of for Geoffrey and any other very brave souls to try out. I have the xfce4 panel mounter working with my ide-flash and USB drives in 'lina-001. I see this as a pointer in the right direction possibly. The thunar, pmount and desktop mounting is not changed at all. It took 2 changes:

1. In the properties for the panel mount, blacklist the various /dev/loopx and /dev/fd0. Pretty simple, just a space delimited list.

2. I rewrote /etc/udev/rules.d/60-fstabd.rules so that it tests for the volume, not the disk. Probably many ways to skin this cat, but it works for all of my usb drives and is a starting point. I looked at the source for the panel mounter and indeed it does rely on fstab.

BACK UP the original 60-fstabd.rules, substitute these, and have a go at it. The USB drive when plugged in should now show as sdbx etc. in both /etc/fstab and /etc/fstab.d.

Edit: rules updated 11/13/2012 to add mount points if needed.
Attachments
60-fstabd.rules.gz
Updated rules for /etc/udev/rules.d Updated on 11/13/2012 to add mount points if needed. No cd or dvd support.
(199 Bytes) Downloaded 794 times
Last edited by Marv on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 01:05, edited 1 time in total.

rg66

#23 Post by rg66 »

Has anyone else noticed that Thunar doesn't show thumbnails even if it is checked in preferences? Also no thumbnails in Ristretto either.

A look in .packages adrive-installed-packages shows lina_xfce-4.10. I installed xfce-4.10-i486 from the repo over top and it seems to have fixed this. Although it did reset my panel and Bulk rename is missing from the menu.

Edit: Bulk rename's category was changed to "BuildingBlocks" in the desktop file. Changed to "FileSystem" fixed this.
Attachments
lina_xfce-4.10.png
(61.33 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
xfce-4.10-i486.png
(77.71 KiB) Downloaded 1000 times
Last edited by rg66 on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 02:27, edited 2 times in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Marv

dumb question

#24 Post by Marv »

In the repository pets, there are sometimes NLS and non-NLS versions. Aah what does NLS stand for?
Has anyone else noticed that Thunar doesn't show thumbnails even if it is checked in preferences? Also no thumbnails in Ristretto either.
No thumbnails here either. I'm too lazy to rebuild my panel for now so I'll live with it for a bit.

rg66

#25 Post by rg66 »

@ Marv

I've had no issues with USD drives being shown wrong.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(58.39 KiB) Downloaded 1031 times

Marv

USB drives

#26 Post by Marv »

I've had no issues with USD drives being shown wrong.
rg66,

They have always been fine on the desktop, in thunar, and in pmount. The struggle has been with the xfce mounter plugin for the xfce4 panel. It was ok prior to xfce 4.80 and since then it hasn't, at least for me. Do you use that?

Thanks,

rg66

#27 Post by rg66 »

Sorry Marv my bad, I misread the post. But it is 6 in the morning here, I should make another coffee. :shock:

I just tried the mounter plugin and it lists the USB drive ok but won't mount or unmount anything, just a failed error.
Last edited by rg66 on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 03:16, edited 1 time in total.

Marv

#28 Post by Marv »

But it is 6 in the morning here, I should make another coffee.
Yep, coffee is good, especially with no snowflakes in it.

Geoffrey

#29 Post by Geoffrey »

Thanks Marv, the mounter plugin works fine now for me, no trouble with mounting or unmounting, no apparent adverse effects from the code change, nice to get rid of the loops, looks a lot cleaner.

oops there are loops, not to worry, they are handy for unmounting sfs files :D
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Marv

xfce4-panel-plugin-mount

#30 Post by Marv »

Thanks Marv, the mounter plugin works fine now for me, no trouble with mounting or unmounting, no apparent adverse effects from the code change, nice to get rid of the loops, looks a lot cleaner.
Geoffrey,

I've been using it a bit more and found one oddity, probably not worth fixing, and one improvement. Plugging in more and more usb drives, when I got beyond the empty mount points created in /MNT with thunar or desktop, it wouldn't mount that drive. Once that drive had been mounted, the empty folder (/mnt/sde1 for example) is permanent and the panel mounter is fine. Probably can create a mount point within a rule but I'm not there yet.

I also plugged in a CF card in an adaptor with multiple partitions. My first set of rules wouldn't show the additional partitions on that card. Attached is a set of rules that will. Same drill and cautions apply.

Edited 11/13/2012. Rules updated to add mount points if needed.
Attachments
60-fstabd.rules.gz
Updated 11/13/2012 to add mount points if needed. No cd or dvd support.
(199 Bytes) Downloaded 774 times
Last edited by Marv on Wed 14 Nov 2012, 01:10, edited 1 time in total.

elroy

#31 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Has anyone else noticed that Thunar doesn't show thumbnails even if it is checked in preferences? Also no thumbnails in Ristretto either.
Yes, I think I'll need to revisit the Thunar plugins.
rg66 wrote:I installed xfce-4.10-i486 from the repo over top...
The only problem is that version of xfce includes some 4.8.0 stuff that jemimah had included to keep some of the panel applets working. While that certainly is an option, I'm trying to get away from 4.8.0 and use only the 4.10 applets.

elroy

Re: dumb question

#32 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:In the repository pets, there are sometimes NLS and non-NLS versions. Aah what does NLS stand for?
Native Language Support. It allows users that don't want to use the default language (English in this case) to use their own.

elroy

Re: USB drives

#33 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:They have always been fine on the desktop, in thunar, and in pmount. The struggle has been with the xfce mounter plugin for the xfce4 panel. It was ok prior to xfce 4.80 and since then it hasn't,
I've fixed the lina_xfce-4.10.pet in the repo to display notifications. It can be added as a pet (and if done so, ignore the file-clobber warnings and restart X-Windows), or it can be added to an adrive build.

I'm still working on the panel mount. I can unmount mounted devices, but it still won't display devices that are not mounted.

As a side note, it you're not using the pup-volume-monitor, the devices aren't shown on the thunar side panel, but they are accessible from /dev/mnt. Also, after installing the fixed lina_xfce-4.10 pet, if you go into thunar preferences and enable the hot plugging option, when mounting via pmount, thunar will automatically open displaying the contents of the device.

EDIT: Marv, I used your 1st 60-rule with the fixed lina_xfce-4.10.pet. I see that you've posted a newer version. I'll test that out and see if I have success, and if so incorporate that into the pet. Thanks for your help :D
Last edited by elroy on Tue 13 Nov 2012, 05:44, edited 2 times in total.

rg66

#34 Post by rg66 »

elroy wrote:
The only problem is that version of xfce includes some 4.8.0 stuff that jemimah had included to keep some of the panel applets working. While that certainly is an option, I'm trying to get away from 4.8.0 and use only the 4.10 applets.
I was just playing around with no save file to see if I could get it to show thumbnails. Maybe not the proper fix, but good enough until 002 comes out.

elroy

#35 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:
elroy wrote:
I was just playing around with no save file to see if I could get it to show thumbnails. Maybe not the proper fix, but good enough until 002 comes out.
Yes, and I'm certainly not 'spanking' you for doing so. If it works, then it's not wrong. Just explaining the rational. When moving to a new base there's bound to be a few glitches, and I do apologize for that.