completed save-session back to booted DVD. A hardware issue.

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
RandSec

#16 Post by RandSec »

After yet another day of trial-and-error, I have further insight:

1. Although the last part of the Fatdog64 booting information goes by on the screen quite quickly indeed, I believe I saw the save files being loaded. If so, that part was working as expected.

2. By mounting the DVD and examining the save files I was unable to find any saved Firefox state. In hard disk or USB flash drive configurations, that data might not be missed. If so, the implication would be that Fatdog64 backup files are incomplete. How was backup completeness tested?

3. An afternoon of DVD burning trials apparently has revealed some new data: I decided to burn a Lighthouse64 .iso to several DVD+R discs. When .iso discs are used to backup a live session (using the Save button), usually there are 2 multisession burns, one representing the previous DVD and another for the current file changes. However, in the DVD+R case, only the first succeeded, and savesession produced scary error messages. But by killing the savesession panel and hitting the Save button again, I got the final burn to occur, and apparently succeed. In one case, I took the savesession failure option of starting over with a blank DVD (again, DVD+R), and had to kill the savession panel TWICE, to get the necessary 3 multisession burns. It looks like this works. The resulting DVD+R does boot and does recover the current Firefox state.

4. I have been using Lighthouse64 daily for over a year. Lately I have removed xWine from the .iso and then I burn the result. I still have security reservations, however I have 3 serious Lighthouse64 usage issues:

4.1 Modern computers usually have several sound "card" outputs. Linux is set up to handle this with the "Multiple Sound Card Wizard," which runs, but one cannot tell if it works because it ends with: "x message Reboot for changes to take effect." Doing a Restart X is not enough. Needing a Reboot is rotten, because that leaves no way to check that the effect works before doing a costly and risky DVD Save. But I did it, and, In the event, if anything was set, it certainly was not recovered. Linux sound thus does not work on my new machine (but does work on my old one). A similar issue appears to affect both Lighthouse64 and Fatdog64: they are not doing or not saving sound configuration (and, probably, the volume settings) for subsequent sessions.

4.2 The Lighthouse64 ATI/AMD video driver is old, and does not handle modern AMD video. I can and do run without a driver, which is both slower and visibly squashed. Still, the modern Lighthouse64 ability to add a video driver without Reboot is fantastic. One could only hope that this be expanded to every kind of replaceable driver (such as audio).

4.3 Lighthouse64 also has the same AbiWord issues mentioned for Fatdog64: it cannot load the old WordPerfect .wpd files simply because that option was not included when compiled. Please give us a more complete version to use under Puppy. Thanks!

Q5sys

#17 Post by Q5sys »

RandSec wrote:4. I have been using Lighthouse64 daily for over a year. Lately I have removed xWine from the .iso and then I burn the result. I still have security reservations, however I have 3 serious Lighthouse64 usage issues:

4.1 Modern computers usually have several sound "card" outputs. Linux is set up to handle this with the "Multiple Sound Card Wizard," which runs, but one cannot tell if it works because it ends with: "x message Reboot for changes to take effect." Doing a Restart X is not enough. Needing a Reboot is rotten, because that leaves no way to check that the effect works before doing a costly and risky DVD Save. But I did it, and, In the event, if anything was set, it certainly was not recovered. Linux sound thus does not work on my new machine (but does work on my old one). A similar issue appears to affect both Lighthouse64 and Fatdog64: they are not doing or not saving sound configuration (and, probably, the volume settings) for subsequent sessions.

4.2 The Lighthouse64 ATI/AMD video driver is old, and does not handle modern AMD video. I can and do run without a driver, which is both slower and visibly squashed. Still, the modern Lighthouse64 ability to add a video driver without Reboot is fantastic. One could only hope that this be expanded to every kind of replaceable driver (such as audio).

4.3 Lighthouse64 also has the same AbiWord issues mentioned for Fatdog64: it cannot load the old WordPerfect .wpd files simply because that option was not included when compiled. Please give us a more complete version to use under Puppy. Thanks!
The current LH Release is a bit long in the tooth right now, and its replacement is under development now. I can't state how long it will take to be released, but you might want to drop a comment in the LHP thread so that those issues may be able to be addressed in the future versions. I dont know if TazOC will happen to find this thread.

Until there is a newer version of LHP, you're only option for your ATI problems would be to compile catalyst yourself. While I have an ATI system available, I simply do not have the time to build it, because of other projects im working on right now.

As for the Abiword issue in LHP, a newer version is not possible due to glibc version issues. So again until a newer LHP release comes out.. you're on your own. You could try meeki's sandbox approach by hacking the ./configure file from the abiword to point it to a newer glibc that you install somewhere else on your system.

hamoudoudou

DVD multisession French explanations

#18 Post by hamoudoudou »

DVD multisession Sujet expliqué en français