mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
lugili

#511 Post by lugili »

It would be sad, if this was a dead pup ... it has a lot going for it. :(

Dynobot,
what is your suggested alternative for the last 20% of sq on an alix board? Back to voyage mpd where I came from?

lugili

#512 Post by lugili »

It would be sad, if this was a dead pup ... it has a lot going for it. :(

Dynobot,
what is your suggested alternative for the last 20% of sq on an alix board? Back to voyage mpd where I came from?

DenisP

#513 Post by DenisP »

I got an E-MU 0404 USB "sound card" for testing, which is used as external DAC, and I need to get it working with mpdPup.

It works (kind of) - the problem is that it does NOT swich sample rates automatically: I need to use "alsamixer" and manually set "Clock rate", where e.g. 100% is used for hi-res 24/192 sample rates, and if I turn it off completely, then it's good for playing 16/41... So, for every track that uses different sample rate, I should change clock rate in alsamixer manually :(

If I use wrong sample rate ("Clock rate") while playing track with a different sample rate (e.g. when I use a 100% setting in alsamixer for a track which has 16/41 rate), I get horribly distorted, tinny sound.

On other newer Linux distros this DAC/sound card seems to be working OK (i.e. sample rate is switched/changed automatically, without the need for "manual" intervention).

Anyone has any idea what could be done to solve this in mpdPup - i.e. to handle the sample rate (clock rate) automatically?
Attachments
alsamix-emu0404.jpg
alsamixer E-MU 0404 USB
(34.9 KiB) Downloaded 3447 times

wlowes

any ideas how to upgrade?

#514 Post by wlowes »

Looks like Ildose is busy or taking a well deserved break.

Does anyone know how to upgrade MPDPUP to use MPD 18?

DenisP

#515 Post by DenisP »

Well, further to my problem with E-MU 0404 USB DAC:
- I tried compiling newer alsa (alsa-driver, alsa-firmware, etc.), but to no avail: the compiled alsa-driver throws errors when used (and I seem to be missing "alsamixer"), so I gave that up :(

But, since this is Linux we're dealing with, I realized that there's more ways to skin a cat :)
If I can't make this DAC "behave" properly, I could do a "manual" change of DAC sample rate on every track change - and automate it!

I'm working on a bash script that will take output from

Code: Select all

cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0 | grep Momentary
where the output of the above command looks like this:

Momentary freq = 44098 Hz (0x5.8320)
and, taking just the first two digits after the equal sign, see which sample rate the track uses, compare it to currently active DAC sample rate, and change it accordingly if it differs... It should all be done during the first half a second of the new track, so that there's no audible "glitches"...

Easier said than done.... I'm still struggling (never did any bash scripting to speak of), but I'm getting close...

Unless anyone has a better idea?

willemoes

Re: any ideas how to upgrade?

#516 Post by willemoes »

wlowes wrote:Looks like Ildose is busy or taking a well deserved break.
- second that.

Hope everything is well, Idolse -

- enjoying the fruit of your work almost daily

DenisP

Re: any ideas how to upgrade?

#517 Post by DenisP »

willemoes wrote:
- second that.

Hope everything is well, Idolse -

- enjoying the fruit of your work almost daily
We haven't heard from Idolse in a while, I sure do hope he's OK..

Likewise, I am enjoying his work on mpdPup on a daily basis :)

And, Idolse, please contact me at
denple AT gmail.com

- I promised you a hardware donation, which is still waiting for you :)

DenisP

#518 Post by DenisP »

And, BTW, I solved my problems with E-MU 0404 USB and mpdPup - by using a bash script which I cobbled together somehow. Now the E-MU 0404 USB works on all sample rates.

If anyone's interested, I can post the script here, primitive as it is :)

Smithy

#519 Post by Smithy »

Yes if you can post it Denis P that would be good to have a look at the Emu chip.

If you could get that analogue input pin going even better, :) I don't think the Alsa people have quite finished the job on the Emu chip, but it is pretty good when used with Jack and audio programs. Up to 192khz available (if anyone can spot the difference between 88.2khz+192khz).

DenisP

#520 Post by DenisP »

Smithy wrote:Yes if you can post it Denis P that would be good to have a look at the Emu chip.
Well, here's the script. Perhaps I should not post such ugly hacks, but, hey - it works :)

Unfortunately, I had to return the E-MU 0404 device - I just had to make it work for someone else. Hopefully, the owner will be satisfied...

Anyway, here's the script:

#!/bin/bash

# if this is the first run, EMU-rate does not exist,create it
if [ ! -f /dev/shm/EMU-rate ]; then 	# file does not exist
    echo "00" > /dev/shm/EMU-rate
fi

while : ; do
	mpc idle
	# stuff below executes when mpc is not idle

sleep 0.4 # wait for actual track to start playing (fist 0,4 sec., to determine the sample rate)
	old_rate=$(cat /dev/shm/EMU-rate)
	# echo "old rate:$old_rate"
	sRateStr=$(cat /proc/asound/card1/stream0 | grep Momentary)
	# echo "full line: " $sRateStr
	cur_rate=${sRateStr:21:2} # here we get just the first two digits (44, 48, 96, etc.)
	# echo "cur rate:$cur_rate"
	# if $cur_rate is empty, next iteration ("continue")
	if [ -z "$cur_rate" ] # string is empty
	then
	  # echo "No song playing"
	  continue  # $cur_rate is null/empty, nothing to do, wait for next iteration
	fi

# echo "Track sample rate: $cur_rate"
	if [ "$old_rate" = "$cur_rate" ]
	then
	  # echo "The rates are the same"
	  continue # rates are the same, nothing to do, wait for next iteration
	fi

# here we actually compare rates and take appropriate action (change EMU clock rate using "amixer")
	# E-MU 0404 is visible as "card 1" on my system, i.e. it needs switch "-c1" for manipulation

case $cur_rate in
	44)
	amixer -c1 set 'Clock rate Selector' 0
	echo "$cur_rate" > /dev/shm/EMU-rate
	continue
	;;
	48)
	amixer -c1 set 'Clock rate Selector' 1
	continue
	;;
	88)
	amixer -c1 set 'Clock rate Selector' 2
	continue
	;;
	96)
	amixer -c1 set 'Clock rate Selector' 3
	continue
	;;
	17)
	amixer -c1 set 'Clock rate Selector' 4
	continue
	;;
	19)
	amixer -c1 set 'Clock rate Selector' 5
	continue
	;;
	esac 	

done
I've left the comments there, in hope it will be easier to understand... I hacked it together from several other scripts I found online: I never did any bash scripting before (except twiddling other people's scripts a bit...), so be lenient :)

Smithy

#521 Post by Smithy »

Looks alright to me Denis P, especially as it did the job!
Just wondering,
did you think that it was possible to add 16khz and 22khz or does the first zero switch mean that the lowest it would go was 44.1 khz?
I know it may be difficult to answer because you have returned the emu.

DenisP

#522 Post by DenisP »

Smithy wrote:Looks alright to me Denis P, especially as it did the job!
Just wondering,
did you think that it was possible to add 16khz and 22khz or does the first zero switch mean that the lowest it would go was 44.1 khz?
The reason is simple: "00" (two zeros) are intentionally WRONG - so that any sample rate that the E-MU "wakes up" with when it's turned on will show that the sample rates (of the currently playing song and the one written as "previous" in the E-MU sample rate file under /dev/shm) are always different, and the rest of the script (automatic adjustment) is always invoked... I think I had some problems without that solution...

So, it's just something I thought would take care of the situation when "/dev/shm/EMU-rate" file does not yet exist (when the computer is turned on), and the first song is e.g. in 24/192 (I think that the E-MU "wakes up" with sample rate 16/48 by default....).

As for other sample rates, the guy using it does not have any tracks with sample rates below 16/41, and in general does not listen to MP3 tracks (and those are usually in 320Kbps) - so there was no need to add any other sample rates.

The E-MU supports the following rates (with corresponding settings in alsamixer "Clock rate Selector"):

Clock rate      Sample rate    "/dev/shm/EMU-rate" 
  setting                          shorthand code
    0               44100                44
    1               48000                48
    2               88200                88
    3               96000                96
    4              176400                17
    5              192000                19

Dynobot

#523 Post by Dynobot »

wlowes

Still enjoying it

#524 Post by wlowes »

For the record, I continue to enjoy this version of mpdpup.

I will likely need to move on to get to newer release, but as of this day, still enjoying it.

Thanks Ildose..

lugili

#525 Post by lugili »

So do I. With my Alix 1, SOTM USB card and two linear power supplies I still think it is among the best quality music server out there. And I listened to many others including some that are sold for big bucks ...

Anyone out there who knows how to compile an upgraded version with latest alsa and mpd versions? I would be game to create that, but I am missing a bit of detailed knowledge on how to tackle something like that..

ToineBles

mpdpup

#526 Post by ToineBles »

Here's another great fan and user of mpdpup! Sad to see there is no development anymore. I hope idolse is ok and in good health!? He has made a terrific piece of software. Together with the app mpad it's the best i know. It has given me many many hours of musical pleasure!

Douwe01nl

stepped over to Runeaudio

#527 Post by Douwe01nl »

Hi Walter, good to 'hear' from you! This spring I stepped over to Raspberry Pi and Runeaudio. In my setup this bested atom-mpdpup.
Now i'm tinkering with Hummingboard-Volumio (but didn't yet succeed to mount the NAS).
I'm looking out to a real digital DIY kit like
http://hifimediy.com/amplifiers/ready-m ... -amplifier
It would be great to go from I2S to analogue in 1 step (no USB, no SPDIF, no DAC, just I2s to analogue in 1 chip!)
Have fun, all!
Douwe

kocozze

Mpdpuppy and Brutefir

#528 Post by kocozze »

Hi all,
I am very sad that we have not seen Idolse in last months.
I have a problem but I think that it is very unlikely that I will find a solution.
There's anybody, please :( , that can guide me step by step in Brutefir installation and configuration with mpdpup?
I hope...

multiblitz

#529 Post by multiblitz »

I have to say, I just tested volumio against mpdpuppy...Maybe it is the Software, maybe the different Hardware, but my Alix / USB-Card Combo has beaten the hell out of the raspberry / volumio Combo...all with the same High-End Dac and Amps.

kocozze

Help help help

#530 Post by kocozze »

I know that this distro is dead far long time ago...bit is the best player i've heard!!!
I only Need to integrate brutefir in It!!! Can anyone help me with a step by step guide for newbye???