Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 12:53
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 34 of 36 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 Next
PET-240

PostPosted: Wed 09 Oct 2013, 19:24    Post_subject:  

Yup, I use alix too. Have you anything else plugged in to the usb bus at the same time?
Just spitballing....perhaps a cmd for connected devices without it plugged in and one after it is plugged in? Not sure what it would be, one would think that it would be an sda1 being the only hdd.
Have you looked through the previous thread from 0.9.2a thread?
kocozze

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 05:07    Post_subject:  

I have another device usb connected, the hiface one, but she is recognized without any problem. Maybe the problem is that i partitioned the cf card? It was 8 gb, i create one partition for mpdpup (4 gb) and one partition empty.
PET-240

PostPosted: Thu 10 Oct 2013, 05:17    Post_subject:  

Been a while since I went through the wizard, does the local storage come up before or after the output? Perhaps unplug both and plug in whichever comes up first? Then leave it and plug the second in?
I dont know if the partition is an issue, I use an 8gb card straight up.
kocozze

PostPosted: Fri 11 Oct 2013, 10:20    Post_subject:  

I try all attempts, but...nothing Crying or Very sad
I think that i must give up the alix solutions... (so, it was not my!).
Thanks anyway
ToineBles

PostPosted: Sun 13 Oct 2013, 15:34    Post_subject: mpdpup
Sub_title: on alix with usb

Hi Kocozze, I work also with an Alix board for quitte some time with great succes, i iuse a nasdrive. Do you have a nas drive? I presume not because you are trying usb storage connecting the mpd pup. One of these days i will try to connect an external drive on my alix board and report you if i'm succesful or not. Maybe this will help!! Wink
Greeting Toine

mpdpup 0.93 on usb, mx on qnap nas, alix 3d3, m2tech young dac, mf v-link, edgar tube amp, magnepan 1.6, stax srs-4170
kocozze

PostPosted: Mon 14 Oct 2013, 11:25    Post_subject:  

Thanks if you will try then let me know...
ToineBles

PostPosted: Wed 16 Oct 2013, 04:22    Post_subject: mpdpup kocozze  

Hi Kocozze, This morning i've tried the cf-card and usb music storage without any problem on my alix board, operation was headless from another pc. Here's what i did: With the help of unetbootin and mpdpup 0.9.3 iso i prepared the cf-card, mind you not partioned!!

Then with the help of putty on another pc, i logged in at tunes.local with root and woofwoof. In the wizzard i could chose local storage, alltough i had only one usb drive connected, there were two options to choose from. After choosing "jukebox copy" on which my music is, i completed the wizzard. Just before the end of the wizzard, i saw two remarks coming along...... "cannot move library" and "no input files" so i thought this is not going well. But to my surprise, after a long wait (be patient it can take a quit long time) i started gmpc program on my pc and there was the music from the usb drive.

So it is possible, also for a Linux dummie like me Very Happy Now i'm only hoping you will succeed to! MPDpup is for me the best audiophile solution there is, i have tried Linn gear (sneaky), logitech touch, xxhigh end, but every time i had some trouble's be it network or control problems. MPDpup with mpad or mpod control is simply the best. Good luck with your'e efforts.
Toine

mpdpup 0.93 on usb or cf-card, mx on qnap nas or usbdrive, alix 3d3, m2tech young dac, mf v-link, edgar tube amp, magnepan 1.6, stax srs-4170
kocozze

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 02:11    Post_subject:  

Many thanks, i'll retry, maybe my cf card is too bad? A question: your drive usb how much capience is? Is formatted in ntfs?
ToineBles

PostPosted: Fri 18 Oct 2013, 04:25    Post_subject: mpdpup kocozze  

Hi Kocozze, I guess when the cf-card is prepared with unetbootin he should be ok.. Trying another one can't harm! Remember....try it with only one partition. My hard drive is 2 tb en ntfs formatted.

mpdpup 0.93 on usb or cf-card, mx on qnap nas or usbdrive, alix 3d3, m2tech young dac, mf v-link, edgar tube amp, magnepan 1.6, stax srs-4170
kocozze

PostPosted: Sat 19 Oct 2013, 12:23    Post_subject:  

...nothing to do Crying or Very sad ! I think I will return to the rightful owner the alix board!
Another question: cpu intel core duo 64 bit it's right for MPDpup?
ToineBles

PostPosted: Sun 20 Oct 2013, 13:16    Post_subject: mpdpup kocozze  

Sad to hear Kocozze. I think cpu intel core duo 64 should work with mpdpup but i'm no expert. Hopefully someone else will react!?
wlowes

PostPosted: Sat 09 Nov 2013, 12:48    Post_subject:  

Soli wrote:
Hi Idolse.

I am usually using MPD on Debian minimal. In the beginning I used a lot of time to toy around with all the usual tweaks, and also some of the more extreme ones. Writing scripts, tweaking the OS to my liking, it took quite a while to get the basics right. Nowadays, I usually spend time listening to music, but now and then I might try a new setting. I always had a separate a dirty linux install to do the experiments and compile, and to keep the clean install as light weight as possible.

Soli
Could you share some of the settings that got you great sound on Debian?
Perhaps we could duplicate on the mpdpup platform.
Soli

PostPosted: Mon 11 Nov 2013, 11:20    Post_subject:  

Nothing beyond the extraordinary, followed the guide from http://www.symphonic-net.com/kubotayo/articles/ + some added things like thread/cpu affinity and also stripped the kernel of almost ALL unneccesary drivers or features, and also compiled a realtime kernel. I use USB nrpacks=1 which just sounds better, but I see others use other values. (might be dependent on a powerful CPU and/or a RT kernel. I use Hpet instead of TSC. I use higher buffers than usual.
Also compiled MPD with the realtime patch (although not strictly neccesary since you can set the priorities and affinity of the MPD threads after starting MPD).
It only support USB DACS, the advantage is that the USB soundcard is automatically HW:0,0 so it is plug and plug whatever USB soundcard you plug in. Also patched the kernel with overlayfs to support booting from a USB stick while also copying everything to ram. (also supporting persistence so you dont have to rescan the library on every reboot) Also added support for Mytek and M2tech in the kernel. I dont have a M2tech/Mytek card, but it should work.

I disabled powerboost, and hyperthreading. Lastly using a 64bit kernel also sounds better than the 32bit. I believe it is the sum of all parts that makes the difference.

In the music folders I have subfolders named USB and NAS. USB obviously points to automounted usb mounts. I disabled automounting the Linux file systems from USB sticks since "nobody" uses those anyways. But exfat, fat, hfs(+), ntfs are all mounted automatically, and MPD automatically scans both NAS and external storage, unlike MPDpup which makes you choose.
lugili

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 17:04    Post_subject:  

Hi all,
it appears that there are now newer versions of MPD around (0.18.5) than the one used in the mpdpup version (0.17).
- Are these significantly better?
- Is it possible to upgrade/change without much hacking?

or

... is there a new mpdpup version around the corner ... Wink
Dynobot

PostPosted: Sun 08 Dec 2013, 19:58    Post_subject:  

lugili wrote:
Hi all,
it appears that there are now newer versions of MPD around (0.18.5) than the one used in the mpdpup version (0.17).
- Are these significantly better?
- Is it possible to upgrade/change without much hacking?

or

... is there a new mpdpup version around the corner ... Wink

New mpdpup around the corner? I doubt it.... This is a dead pup.

Easy to hack and install newer version? No

Does the newer version sound better? Yes

This was a great idea, which is now frozen in time. Its about 80% as good as mpd gets in terms of sq.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 34 of 36 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum