mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Jean-Louis P

Update : when ?

#316 Post by Jean-Louis P »

Hi Idolse

I am still with former version 0.9.2. without problem.
When approximately do you plan a 0.9.4, if I can spare the effort of two upgrades, I would be glad to :wink:

BR
Jean-Louis

DenisP

#317 Post by DenisP »

Hi Idolse,

Thanks a lot for your exhaustive and informative reply...

I'm sure I'll be able to make something with it.
OTOH, USB sticks aren't going to be swapped every 5 minutes, so even rebooting isn't that horrible...

BTW, where in mpdPup can I set up behaviour of the "power button" on the computer case? I'd like to set it up so that the long press on the power button does a normal "power off" (shut down) instead of just cutting power off.

TIA,
Denis

ldolse

Re: Boot problem

#318 Post by ldolse »

Renas wrote:When I said black desktop I meaned a black wallpaper with only a bar of shortcuts popping out on top when the mouse is there.

I did got before the desktop a sound setting menu, then a network share-is it for NAS hardrives?-then a file question-I choosed the folder where I put my EAC rips.

The volume control: I heard that many digital volumes controls where lowering the resolution below 16 bits when not set at maximum. The output data had a lower bitrate and was not bitperfect anymore. Secondly, bypassing a physical preamp with its contacts does eliminate a possible cause of information loss of the system. A poweramp plugged to a DAC sounded great the last time I heard it.
Hi Renas, the black desktop is expected in general, but it shouldn't hang there in the middle of running the wizard. Something you've selected has caused the wizard to hang - I still don't quite understand what you did though, I would need to know where your EAC rips are. Network share could be a NAS or a shared folder on another PC. Local storage is for a physically attached hard disk. The local storage support is not comprehensive because there are literally dozens of possible permutations of how local storage could be configured and supporting all of them is non-trivial. However I can't tell by your description which you've chosen and where the EAC rips folder is physically.

Regarding the volume control - that option is there because not all mpdPup users are hardcore audiophiles and just want a volume control that can be used from a MPD client - the software control is sufficient in this case. On the other hand some some audiophiles have high quality digital dithered volume controls with their sound hardware, the hardware volume is recommended for them. Neither volume control should be considered bit perfect, any digital volume adjustments by definition change the bits. If you want to guarantee bit perfect to the DAC then just choose the disabled option.

@Jean-Louis P, unfortunately professional and personal life have been conspiring against me lately, so I can't commit to any dates for the next release - it will come when it comes.

@DenisP, glad the info helped. Regarding the power button - the system is actually designed to be shut down gracelessly because the whole filesystem is mounted in RAM in a read-only mode - you can safely just power it off by holding the power switch or toggling the mains power. Supporting the power switch in the way you ask requires additional daemons and I don't have any interest in adding complexity/extra overhead in that area. THe only time you ever need to shut down gracefully is when you've actually made changes to the system configuration and haven't typed 'save2flash' to commit them, and in that situation you'd already be logged in to to type 'poweroff' or 'reboot'. This will save the configuration changes as it shuts down.
Last edited by ldolse on Mon 01 Apr 2013, 04:47, edited 1 time in total.

DenisP

#319 Post by DenisP »

Idolse, thanks for confirming the shutdown issue: this means I'm all set :)

Many thanks again for your kind help!

bonalux

lirc headache

#320 Post by bonalux »

Hi Idolse and all, i've tried hard to make lirc working with mpd but i've not found all the needed infos or either i'm to dumb to understand how to send the commands to mpd...(maybe it's too simple and i overlooked it :roll: )

I've created (or better i think so) the lircd.conf file for my samsung remote in the /etc/lirc directory, but i'm stuck at the point of telling mpd what to do (eg. skip track, stop, etc..). Info on the web tells to create a .licrc file in the /etc/lirc dir or in the home dir, but what to write in this file? Any advice or file to look at would be welcome.

Thank you.

ldolse

Re: lirc headache

#321 Post by ldolse »

bonalux wrote:Hi Idolse and all, i've tried hard to make lirc working with mpd but i've not found all the needed infos or either i'm to dumb to understand how to send the commands to mpd...(maybe it's too simple and i overlooked it :roll: )

I've created (or better i think so) the lircd.conf file for my samsung remote in the /etc/lirc directory, but i'm stuck at the point of telling mpd what to do (eg. skip track, stop, etc..). Info on the web tells to create a .licrc file in the /etc/lirc dir or in the home dir, but what to write in this file? Any advice or file to look at would be welcome.
You're actually delving into a very complicated area, especially if you're not very comfortable with Linux. I don't have firsthand experience with a raw IR remote/receiver - I went with the iMon options because they require less hacking from both a hardware and software perspective and there are several htpc case choices in that area. The drivers and LIRC framework are there for other remote technologies, but I haven't done anything to simplify anything other than iMon.

If you're googling for info on LIRC try using the advanced search to limit results to the past year or so - most of the info that comes up in Google searches about LIRC is out of date.

Anyway, if you really want to dig into this, you need a working RF receiver attached to your system first - you mention the remote but no receiver.

I believe you need to make sure the IR receiver driver is loaded along with the driver for your specific remote. I believe most of the LIRC code is in the kernel at this stage, and I think it should automatically convert remote input to keyboard commands - at that point you just need to make sure that the remote is always mapped to the same input device and configure /etc/empcd.conf to use that device. You then need to use empcd's debug features to figure out how LIRC maps your Samsung remote to keyboard commands - in many cases it may match what I've configured in empcd.conf, but it won't always. The empcd website has more info on this.

If you're searching Google for LIRC info be sure to use the advanced search to limit results to the last year or so - most info on the web regarding LIRC is old and out of date.

bonalux

#322 Post by bonalux »

empcd was the missing link :idea: thank you. I will tinkle a bit with the configs to see if something can be done.

I've not listed the ir receiver but it's already connected, i've to try to dump some ir codes to see if it's working correctly, then, if the only other config to be done it's in the empcd.conf file the trick is done, but i see that this file is referring to "eventdevice /dev/input/imon_remote", got to look even at it. Maybe lirc remote codes are sent to some input device (have no idea of what are event0, event1 ecc..), i'll try to find out...

ldolse

#323 Post by ldolse »

Yes - if the remote drivers are being correctly loaded I believe they should show up as /dev/input/eventX - not sure what the best way to determine which one it is other than trial and error. /dev/input/imon_remote is an alias created by a udev rule so that an iMon on any input device will always get mapped to the same path.

DenisP

#324 Post by DenisP »

bonalux wrote:empcd was the missing link :idea: thank you. I will tinkle a bit with the configs to see if something can be done.
Bonalux, please keep us posted of your progress...

Namely, lirc plus an infrared remote is one of my next steps...

After that, I'll also try to add a simple LCD display (16x2), connected to the parallel port. Hopefully, mpd will indeed show something on it...

Heck, since we're tinkering, we might as well go all the way :)

DenisP

Any recommendations for a USB WiFi card?

#325 Post by DenisP »

Any particular brands/models of USB WiFi cards I should look for to be used with mpdPup?

I prefer to have the machine running mpdPup connected by ethernet cable, but a friend asked if I could set up his machine with the USB WiFi card, like this one:

http://www.tp-link.us/resources/images/ ... 22N-01.jpg

He still needs to buy such a card, and asked me which one to buy. I'm not sure which one to recommend (haven't tried such WiFi cards on my box at home).

Any particular USB WiFi cards which are known to work "out of the box" on mpdPup?

ldolse

Re: Any recommendations for a USB WiFi card?

#326 Post by ldolse »

DenisP wrote:Any particular brands/models of USB WiFi cards I should look for to be used with mpdPup?
I'm not sure - any USB Wifi with decent Linux support should be fine - you may get more help on this particular topic in the rest of the Puppy Linux forum.

Note It's easiest to set up Wifi from X-Windows, the CLI wizards are lacking in this respect.

DenisP

#327 Post by DenisP »

ldolse wrote:'m not sure - any USB Wifi with decent Linux support should be fine - you may get more help on this particular topic in the rest of the Puppy Linux forum.
Thanks, Idolse, will try one or two I can lay my hands on :)

Another thing, perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can help:

I am trying to cram the installation to a 128mb (!) CF card, doing a frugal install. But, I've noticed that sometimes the system (MPD) doesn't recognize a new external USB disk with music, particularly one with lots of music (1TB size disk). I am guessing it's because mpd library database (on CF card) is being updated, and there's very little free space on CF card (about 9-10MB).
So, I'm thinking of reducing the size of .sfs save file (currently only 32MB!). However, when creating the first install, I only get about 50MB free space left on card, and the only offered option is to create a 32MB size sfs file... Can anything be done about this - or am I too optimistic trying to squeeze everything to a 128MB CF card?

One other thing, the external USB disk with music is usually using NTFS (Windows) file system, with folder and file names using Eastern European character set (Win CP1250): perhaps this could be the cause of problems with updating mpd music library database?

I have a couple of old thin client computers (600MHz VIA processor, 256MB RAM, 128MB CF card), and I am trying to make a "music appliance" out of them for some audiophile friends (who are not into Linux at all): I can install frugally to the CF card, but, like I said, sometimes when attaching external large USB HDD, the new library isn't always recognized - when using mpdwizard CLI command, I can't add new local library location (I can select local library, but the next screen with choice of folder doesn't open, but returns me back to the mpdwizard main screen....). Even the command for updating the library doesn't work ('mpc update')... seems like mpd isn't started at all (logical, since the wizard doesn't seem to update the local storage location).

Any ideas as to what is going wrong?
Would deleting the existing mpd library (i.e. database) help?

cmiu

#328 Post by cmiu »

DenisP wrote: Any ideas as to what is going wrong?
Would deleting the existing mpd library (i.e. database) help?
Hi denis,
try to start mpd like this:

1. stop mpd
mpd --kill

2. start mpd

mpd --no-daemon -v

start another session if you are using ssh, or change the console with alt + F1

About charset you should tweak the /etc/mpd.conf or retag files (musicbrainz picard should do it if the files are correctly tagged)
the output should give you an idea what is going on.

DenisP

#329 Post by DenisP »

cmiu wrote: try to start mpd like this:
Thanks for your help - will try your suggestions...

Perhaps for such users with all kinds of data scattered on external USB disks, it would also help to try to organize such a scattered music via symlinks in a separate music directory (not sure how symlinks work under NTFS, though...) - so that mpd does not have to index directories which contain other data or programs...

cmiu

#330 Post by cmiu »

DenisP wrote: Perhaps for such users with all kinds of data scattered on external USB disks, it would also help to try to organize such a scattered music via symlinks in a separate music directory (not sure how symlinks work under NTFS, though...) - so that mpd does not have to index directories which contain other data or programs...
I mount the shares from windows and because my music is scattered thru 2 computers I tried the following:

1. never tried to play music from USB directly. I think by this I throw another burden on usb controller and this is not what I have in mind, therefore I keep my music on my windows computers (hoping that one day I will have some time and update my NAS). I cannot tell you if the NTFS symlinks works on usb devices
2. I've tried to make symlinks in windows and export the shares, but his is not working. in linux the directories are empty.
3. The solution for me was to mount windows shares in another point (like /mnt/win1 win2 etc ..) and then make the symlinks in mpd library folder (like ln -s /mnt/win1/flac /mnt/music/1) and this is working just fine. The downside is that for this i had to modify fstab by hand and make a script to create the target folders and mount them.

luisb

#331 Post by luisb »

Hi cmiu
Is it possible to post your fstab changes and the script file, i have the same setup you have.
Regards

cmiu

#332 Post by cmiu »

luisb wrote:Hi cmiu
Is it possible to post your fstab changes and the script file, i have the same setup you have.
Regards
it's not pretty but it does the job
/etc/fstab

beware that if you run mpd configurator you need to manually remove the entry below hashes
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts gid=2,mode=620 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy auto noauto,rw 0 0
//192.168.2.100/d$ /mnt/htpc_d cifs username=xxxx,password=yyyyy,iocharset=utf8 0 0
//192.168.2.100/e$ /mnt/htpc_e cifs username=xxxx,password=yyyyy,iocharset=utf8 0 0
//192.168.2.101/g$ /mnt/games_g cifs username=xxxxx,password=yyyyy,iocharset=utf8 0 0
#MPD Config Wizard#######################################
# Any content beyond this line will be rewritten when the wizard is run##########
/etc/init.d/01.firstboot
add at the beginning

#! /bin/bash
mkdir /mnt/htpc_d
mkdir /mnt/htpc_e
mkdir /mnt/games_g

mount /mnt/htpc_d
mount /mnt/htpc_e
mount /mnt/games_g

ln -s /mnt/htpc_d/Music /mnt/music/htpc_d
ln -s /mnt/htpc_e/Music /mnt/music/htpc_e
ln -s /mnt/htpc_e/Clasica /mnt/music/htpc_e_cls
ln -s /mnt/htpc_e/torrents/hdd7 /mnt/music/htpc_e_torr
ln -s /mnt/games_g/_SACD /mnt/music/games_g

luisb

#333 Post by luisb »

Thanks cmiu
So you mount 3 drives. Added adicional symlinks to 3 directories in one drive........
I am going to digest all that and get back to you
thank you alot again
luis

cmiu

#334 Post by cmiu »

luisb wrote:So you mount 3 drives. Added adicional symlinks to 3 directories in one drive........
luis
I added the symlinks in /mnt/music, which is has no mount on top of it, but it is the default folder for mpd server. Usually on /mnt/music the share provided in mpdwizard is mounted.

You can start by figuring out the differences between original fstab and the ones that I've post.

DenisP

Ordinary LCD 16x2 (hd44780 compatible) works!

#335 Post by DenisP »

I can report that I successfully attached an LCD display (hd44780 compatible) to the parallel port, and using mpdlcd, it shows song info, etc.

There was some soldering involved on a spare LPT (printer) cable, and the whole shebang is temporarily wired through a breadboard, but the thing works! No extra packages required, nothing! Just edit the /etc/LCDd.conf file for the type of display and wiring (hd44789 and "winamp" wiring),start LCDd (LCDd -d hd44780), and start mpdlcd (just type "mpdlcd" on command line), and there it goes - showing info on the external 16x2 LCD :)
Now for some kind of DIY IR remote sensor, an old remote control, and that's it :)
Once again, thanks to Idolse for a very nice distro - you thought of everything :)
And I also learned a lot about puppy linux in general :)