mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ldolse

#31 Post by ldolse »

Hi Jonathan,

I did miss your post regarding the wizard behavior, thanks for pointing it out.

Just use 100 in the wizard instead of 100%. There is supposed to be logic which detects that, but apparently I need to fix it.

For audio_output, how many different audio_output sections/devices did you see in mpd.conf? What was the name of the one that had device set incorrectly? It would help immensely if you could tell me exactly what path you took through the wizard to create the settings - this has always worked fine for me, so you problably chose a route through the configuration that I didn't think to test.

ldolse

Re: cover art

#32 Post by ldolse »

kocozze wrote:Sorry Idolse,
I don't understand where and how I must change "tunes.local" with my IP static to view cover art... :? Can you explain me step by step? Thanks :mrgreen:
Hi Kocozze, Sorry I missed this before - Looks to me like MPDroid works a bit differently than other MPD clients according to their Github page:
https://github.com/abarisain/dmix/wiki/Album-Art-on-your-LAN

If that page is correct you just need to find the settings in MPDroid and set the following two items:
Path to music: Should be 'musiclibrary' - no quotes, when using mpdPup
Cover filename: Whatever you name your Album art file - e.g. 'folder.jpg'

acvtre

#33 Post by acvtre »

Hi, I'm encountering several problems with the installation of mpdPup on my music-pc and it's strange since I had no problem on a virtualmachine.

I cannot get internet connection, even if it says that the DHCP connection has been established, I cannot configure a static IP and at the startup it says "making the filsystem usable...depomd failed".

ldolse

#34 Post by ldolse »

acvtre wrote:Hi, I'm encountering several problems with the installation of mpdPup on my music-pc and it's strange since I had no problem on a virtualmachine.

I cannot get internet connection, even if it says that the DHCP connection has been established, I cannot configure a static IP and at the startup it says "making the filsystem usable...depomd failed".
Sounds like the hardware may have some compatibility issues. What sort of hardware are you using?

acvtre

#35 Post by acvtre »

A mobo intel d945gsejt, with d-link dwa140 for wifi connection, external usb hdd and a soundcard onkyo se-200.

Puppy installed on a transcend 4gb CF linked via 44pin cable to the mobo.

ldolse

#36 Post by ldolse »

acvtre wrote:A mobo intel d945gsejt, with d-link dwa140 for wifi connection, external usb hdd and a soundcard onkyo se-200.

Puppy installed on a transcend 4gb CF linked via 44pin cable to the mobo.
Well the good news is it shouldn't be the motherboard, since I use the same board. That said none of the other components are common between us.
  • You probably need to do some research on each of the other components you chose and see if there are any Linux compatibility issues. Google is your friend.
  • Your Wifi card may have some conflicts with other drivers and somewhat poor linux compatibility - follow the blacklisting instructions here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6362, and/or here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1638334.
  • I haven't done any work around supporting Wifi from the MPD Wizards. Puppy Linux does have Wifi support, but you'll need to launch the Puppy Linux Network Wizard before you run the MPD wizards to set an IP and wireless settings. If you got DHCP to work you can stick with that and access the sytem by it's hostname - tunes.local. You just need bonjour/avahi/zeroconf/mdns (all words for the same thing) on your client system.
  • The Onkyo uses the same Chipset as the ESI Juli@, so it's probably ok, but it doesn't look like there are a lot of users out there using it with Linux

thisisvv

thanks for Murga linux

#37 Post by thisisvv »

idolse,

Long time lurker enjoying ur MPD a lot.....with my 30$ small PC from ebay .Just wanted to thank you for this new release i just want to thank you for this release.

Thanks
V

acvtre

#38 Post by acvtre »

ldolse wrote:Well the good news is it shouldn't be the motherboard, since I use the same board. That said none of the other components are common between us.
  • You probably need to do some research on each of the other components you chose and see if there are any Linux compatibility issues. Google is your friend.
  • Your Wifi card may have some conflicts with other drivers and somewhat poor linux compatibility - follow the blacklisting instructions here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=6362, and/or here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1638334.
  • I haven't done any work around supporting Wifi from the MPD Wizards. Puppy Linux does have Wifi support, but you'll need to launch the Puppy Linux Network Wizard before you run the MPD wizards to set an IP and wireless settings. If you got DHCP to work you can stick with that and access the sytem by it's hostname - tunes.local. You just need bonjour/avahi/zeroconf/mdns (all words for the same thing) on your client system.
  • The Onkyo uses the same Chipset as the ESI Juli@, so it's probably ok, but it doesn't look like there are a lot of users out there using it with Linux
I was using this same configuration on voyage and I had no problem, except that configuring voyage is a pain in the ass. :D

My client is a android phone, what do you suggest for it?
Is it possible that the problem is the CF? I had to reinstall puppy with unetbootin at least 10 times before having it working.

What other wifi card would you suggest? On voyage I simply had to install its drivers.

kocozze

Re: cover art

#39 Post by kocozze »

ldolse wrote:
kocozze wrote:Sorry Idolse,
I don't understand where and how I must change "tunes.local" with my IP static to view cover art... :? Can you explain me step by step? Thanks :mrgreen:
Hi Kocozze, Sorry I missed this before - Looks to me like MPDroid works a bit differently than other MPD clients according to their Github page:
https://github.com/abarisain/dmix/wiki/Album-Art-on-your-LAN

If that page is correct you just need to find the settings in MPDroid and set the following two items:
Path to music: Should be 'musiclibrary' - no quotes, when using mpdPup
Cover filename: Whatever you name your Album art file - e.g. 'folder.jpg'
Hi idolse, thank you very much...now it's work very fine!!! :!:

ldolse

#40 Post by ldolse »

acvtre wrote:I was using this same configuration on voyage and I had no problem, except that configuring voyage is a pain in the ass. :D

My client is a android phone, what do you suggest for it?
Is it possible that the problem is the CF? I had to reinstall puppy with unetbootin at least 10 times before having it working.

What other wifi card would you suggest? On voyage I simply had to install its drivers.
I doubt it's the CF card - Unetbootin has occasionally been problematic for me as well, but as it generally works it's been low on my priority list to investigate - there are some alternatives to it, not sure if one of the other projects is any better.

For Android I think MPDroid is the best game in town, though that's just based on what I've read/heard, not first-hand experience.

The depmod errors specifically relate to some sort of driver issue, so I would guess based on those links I gave you that the Wifi card is the most likely culprit. If you had it working on Voyage then you can definitely get it working on Puppy Linux as well, it's just that the two distributions get built in very different ways.

What drivers did you have to install on Voyage? If they're in the Debian package repo (which is what Voyage uses), then you should be able to install them on mpdPup with the Puppy Package Manager. What I'm distributing is generally the stock Linux kernel drivers - if the hardware vendor or some other team maintains their drivers outside of the kernel tree then I only fix those as people point them out to me.

I don't really have any recommendations regarding other Wifi hardware, I never use it with Linux, so can't comment.

acvtre

#41 Post by acvtre »

ldolse wrote:I doubt it's the CF card - Unetbootin has occasionally been problematic for me as well, but as it generally works it's been low on my priority list to investigate - there are some alternatives to it, not sure if one of the other projects is any better.

For Android I think MPDroid is the best game in town, though that's just based on what I've read/heard, not first-hand experience.

The depmod errors specifically relate to some sort of driver issue, so I would guess based on those links I gave you that the Wifi card is the most likely culprit. If you had it working on Voyage then you can definitely get it working on Puppy Linux as well, it's just that the two distributions get built in very different ways.

What drivers did you have to install on Voyage? If they're in the Debian package repo (which is what Voyage uses), then you should be able to install them on mpdPup with the Puppy Package Manager. What I'm distributing is generally the stock Linux kernel drivers - if the hardware vendor or some other team maintains their drivers outside of the kernel tree then I only fix those as people point them out to me.

I don't really have any recommendations regarding other Wifi hardware, I never use it with Linux, so can't comment.
Ok, thank you so much for the wonderul explanation and analysis of the problem.

I don't remember perfectly and I'm a noob with linux, but if I'm correct, I simply had to do something like:"apt-get install (name of the driver)" and that was all.
So, from what you have written above it seems like I have to do the same thing at the mpdpup startup, so "boot: apt-get install...", right?

ldolse

#42 Post by ldolse »

acvtre wrote:So, from what you have written above it seems like I have to do the same thing at the mpdpup startup, so "boot: apt-get install...", right?
No - apt-get is specific to Voyage/Debian. On Puppy you need to go into XWindows and launch the Puppy Package Manager; follow the instructions I wrote in this post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70052&start=457

Once you've done that you can search for the driver and install it. There is still a good chance you'll need to blacklist the other drivers per the links I gave you earlier.

multiblitz

#43 Post by multiblitz »

First of all I would like to give you my thanks and appreciation for your hard work. This is really a fantastic piece of work.

I installed it on my Alix 1 nachine - very easy, flawless. The new menues are really neat.

I am not sure sonically, but this version seems to be a bit "softer". A little less focussed, but at the same time, blacker, darker backround, more like a turntable.

Two surprises:

The bad one: spotify-support...well...I was expecting something which is of similar quality as Sonos...but for me this is with MPAD not really usable...what a petty.

I will check over the next weekends if the compatibility with newer boards has improved...

The good one: Sofar all hires-recodings worked without any hick-ups !!!! With the old version I got always at some point of time hickups....right now (may be it is only today, let's stay cautious)...perfect.

ldolse

#44 Post by ldolse »

Thanks multiblitz, appreciate the review. Glad to hear that Hi-Rez worked without hiccups. I didn't test it with the final revision, need to give it a go on my system.

Regarding Spotify support, not much I can do to fix that, I just compiled what the other developers built. I think the trick to using it would be to use the Spotify client in conjunction with an SSH session. You can copy Spotify links from the client per this blog post. Then paste them into the SSH session with MPC - I think unfortunately the spotify support wasn't written in a way to support the exact same link syntax, I think you need to change the native spotify link from this:

Code: Select all

spotify:artist:5lsC3H1vh9YSRQckyGv0Up
to this

spt://spotify:artist:5lsC3H1vh9YSRQckyGv0Up

Then use mpc to save the playlist. Saved playlists can then be played via MPaD.

Let me know if that's usable when managed that way. I've been considering trying to create a lightweight way to do this as part of the wizards, not sure if it's worth the effort. The Spotify code as a whole seems a bit hackish to me - it has annoying dependencies that aren't technically needed with MPD, and the MPD supported version is actually a fork. If it's really unusable for users I'd almost be inclined to remove the support altogether and get a little bit of the space back to keep the memory footprint as small as possible. Since I can't use Spotify myself I'm in the dark as to whether it's worth the effort.

The other thing to do with regard to improving the situation would be to petition MPD client developers to add better support from the UI side, or petition the Spotify team to support the Open Source world better (e.g. some sort of supported MPD integration for premium subscribers with the native clients).

wlowes

#45 Post by wlowes »

Idolse

Thank you for a fabulous upgrade!

Just saw it this afternoon and got it running on my Alix/WaveIO/tda1541a system. Really nice improvement in sound. As others have commented, darker quieter background. Generally more air and a more natural real sound across the spectrum. Lots more micro details. Very nice! I am even more motivated to get my tube amps finished to bring out all that this is capable system is capable of delivering.

Thank you for your hard work. This is a real treat for this system
Walter

clog

thank you, thank youi

#46 Post by clog »

After weeks of deliberation I bought an Alix 3D2 board to run my MPD server.
I downloaded Voyage Linux and tried to install it om the Alix. Well I'm not a complete newbie in Linux so I supposed it would be an easy job. To my disappointment it was not. Thanks to google I found your mdppup.
I must say it was a breeze to install and within half an hour it was running and playing. So thank you very much.

If you don't mind I seize the opportunity to ask you something.
The wizard puts "iocharset=utf8" on the fstab line that mounts my NAS. when I do mount -a that gives me this error "mount: Can not access a needed shared library". When I remove the iocharset item it mounts ok. Is this a problem ?

The Alix has no hwclock. So I wanted to install an ntp server to adjust the time at bootup. To install software I tried ppm but that gave me a bunch of errors.
Is there a CLI sw installer.

ldolse

#47 Post by ldolse »

clog wrote:After weeks of deliberation I bought an Alix 3D2 board to run my MPD server.
I downloaded Voyage Linux and tried to install it om the Alix. Well I'm not a complete newbie in Linux so I supposed it would be an easy job. To my disappointment it was not. Thanks to google I found your mdppup.
I must say it was a breeze to install and within half an hour it was running and playing. So thank you very much.

If you don't mind I seize the opportunity to ask you something.
The wizard puts "iocharset=utf8" on the fstab line that mounts my NAS. when I do mount -a that gives me this error "mount: Can not access a needed shared library". When I remove the iocharset item it mounts ok. Is this a problem ?

The Alix has no hwclock. So I wanted to install an ntp server to adjust the time at bootup. To install software I tried ppm but that gave me a bunch of errors.
Is there a CLI sw installer.
You can remove iocharset=utf8 - in very rare cases it has caused me problems too, but it doesn't always occur, so not reliably reproducible. I have a fair amount of non-ascii content and it works correctly when I use UTF-8 - for most users it would probably would work without it though, so feel free to delete it. Ideally I want the system to work equally well for non-english users, which is why I set UTF-8.

Regarding ppm/ntp, unfortunately ppm is designed to only work with XWindows, on the 3d2 there isn't any way to get it to work except via a remote X session. Odds are it would be easier to either a) compile the package yourself, or b) download the ntp package manually and extract/install it. The deb2pet script which is included with mpdPup can help you convert it to a more Puppy friendly package, but once you've converted it you still need to install it. After running deb2pet use this command to install

/usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh $FILE_NAME
where $FILE_NAME is the name of the pet package.

luisb

#48 Post by luisb »

Hi Idolse
Thanks for the new version, very easy to configure. Wireless network works very well. The only problem is that v0.9.3 doesn't recognize ethernet anymore, just wireless. Got back to v0.9.2 and everything is correct. Any idea how can i fix it?
Regards

ldolse

#49 Post by ldolse »

luisb wrote:Hi Idolse
Thanks for the new version, very easy to configure. Wireless network works very well. The only problem is that v0.9.3 doesn't recognize ethernet anymore, just wireless. Got back to v0.9.2 and everything is correct. Any idea how can i fix it?
Regards
Hi Luis, without knowing what type of hardware you have I don't have any idea how you might be able to fix it. Let me know the specific hardware model you have and preferably what network chipset and I can look into it.

To debug it go to the network wizard and check what driver it's reporting to use. You can use the 'load modules' button to try to change the driver. Finally you can get the output of 'dmesg' and attach it here as a text file.

@wlowes, thanks for the feedback, glad it's working well for you!

luisb

#50 Post by luisb »

I had an useless Acer aspire one A110 modded with a 30 Gb SSD, 1.5 Gb ram and a Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link AGN card. I install mpdpup there. Drivers for ethernet in windows are from realtek. As server i use Asus eeepc with windows 7. Just an experiment before getting a more powerfull server. Idolse you have a pm of the dmesg output