mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
lugili

#256 Post by lugili »

Another question regarding the setup: the path on my nas to the musicfolders are /volume1/musicserver/mpd_music. What do I need to enter as share?
I think I was able to do it. Plays music now ... sounds better than my voyage mpd setup that I used so far. Atom D510 board with SOTM usb card and linear power supply into a dcs debussy.

Will listen and tweak a bit and report back in a few days.
Thanks again Idolse, great job. And all the others for support.

Magellan

#257 Post by Magellan »

I don´t think this has anthing to do with wierd letters. Fact is, I realise now, that I never get to the username/password section, because I am recected at the previous stage, After the validate server IP, share name and directory, I get the message the IP adress can´t be reached.

- Validate the server IP, share name, and directory are correct, press enter
- username password prompt comes up, enter them in, press enter

This is making me MAD. People passing on the street outside my house have to be careful because there will soon be a NAS coming flying out from my window. :evil:

Magellan

#258 Post by Magellan »

lugili wrote:
Hi Lugili, the problem is Synology never meant for you to use the root user for file sharing. You need to go into the Synology Web UI, clck 'Control panel', then click 'User'. Create a new User, and when you go through the prompts make sure they have access to the share with the music library. Then put this user/pass in the wizard.
For some weird reason I could not ssh into my synology nas despite the user setup like you described.
I found instructions on the internet on what to do on the Synology NAS:

edit /etc/passwd and replace /sbin/nologin with /bin/ash for users you want allow to SSH into your NAS.

Worked for me, now I can ssh into the NAS with all users. Weird ...

Another question regarding the setup: the path on my nas to the musicfolders are /volume1/musicserver/mpd_music. What do I need to enter as share?

Thanks all for your help.
I guesss you first logged in with SSH as root and changed the /etc/passwd ? My problem is I can´t even log in as root.

YES!!!! After several hours of trial and error and confusion I succeded to make it work at last. I think it was a combination of problems. I had in the end great help of both lugili and Idolse. I changed the passwords to only ascii, and then I could logon to the NAS as root over SSH. I could still not logon as user however, but after editing the etc/passwd I could logon as user also. It took me a while however, until I understod the editor on the nas was not vim or nano but vi. Then I reconfigured the MPD-wizard, and now the NAS did not reject MPD anymoore and I was transfered to the user/password settings. The rest was just easy going. Now beautiful music is streaming from my speakers. But now I must sleep. Thanks for helpful clues.

ldolse

#259 Post by ldolse »

Glad you were both able to get your Synology connected and have got music now! I think you'll find it easier to administer if you stick with their Web UI - all the required configuration can be done from there. SSH is more for hacking on the system.

lugili

#260 Post by lugili »

Glad you were both able to get your Synology connected and have got music now! I think you'll find it easier to administer if you stick with their Web UI - all the required configuration can be done from there. SSH is more for hacking on the system.
Fully agree with you there, but I was not able to do this with DSM 3.2 UI on the Synology. I am quite sure I did everything right there. Maybe a Synology bug ... or maybe I should have restarted the NAS at some point in time.

But glad it is all fine now :D

Magellan

#261 Post by Magellan »

ldolse wrote:Glad you were both able to get your Synology connected and have got music now! I think you'll find it easier to administer if you stick with their Web UI - all the required configuration can be done from there. SSH is more for hacking on the system.
I am not using SSH for configuring the NAS. I use it for MPDpup...BUT, I had to hack the NAS to be able to reach the NAS at all from MPDpup. I suspect there either is a bugg in MPDpup, which explains why the Synology NAS keep rejecting MPDpup, or there is a bugg in DSM.

Supersurfer

Unable to mount NFS share

#262 Post by Supersurfer »

Hi Idolse,

I am trying to get mpdpup running on my alix board. Going through the graphic interface on ssh works very nice for a linux novice like me.

I am now having trouble to mount to my nas share. I use a synology nas with latest software, nfs share is activated and permission is granted for the alix to access the nas.

When trying to make the connection it says: unable to mount.

I do not know what I am doing wrong. I am also running a raspberry pi that connects to the nas and that works fine.

I hope you can help me with this.

Kind regards,

ldolse

#263 Post by ldolse »

Hi Supersurfer, glad the UI is working well for you overall, hope we can solve the NAS issue. mpdPup only supports CIFS/SMB at this time, make sure that's enabled for the music share/user account and you should be good to go. Hopefully that's the root cause.

Supersurfer

#264 Post by Supersurfer »

Hi Idolse,

The graphical interface suddenly does not work anymore at new start up. It asks me to run xorgwizard to detemine video hardware but there is no video hardware because I am running through ssh.

Can you please tell me how to solve this?

I have adjusted some things in my nas to try to get cifs running, and I want to try it now.

Kind regards,

ldolse

#265 Post by ldolse »

Supersurfer wrote:Hi Idolse,

The graphical interface suddenly does not work anymore at new start up. It asks me to run xorgwizard to detemine video hardware but there is no video hardware because I am running through ssh.

Can you please tell me how to solve this?

I have adjusted some things in my nas to try to get cifs running, and I want to try it now.

Kind regards,
I'm not sure how exactly you're getting that xorg wizard, it was designed to only be displayed if it detects a monitor is attached. If a monitor is indeed attached it could display that wizard over the SSH session. Ctrl-C should break out of the xorg dialogue, then type mpdwizard to get back into the proper one.

It also sounds like you created a save file during your original session, overall it may go more smoothly to load the flash card in another machine and remove it (it's the .2fs file). This will set you back to defaults.

What specific Alix model do you have?

Supersurfer

#266 Post by Supersurfer »

Hi Idolse,

I am using the alix 2d2, this one has no video output. I have created a save file, I will try to reset and see if I can get the wizard on ssh working.

Kind regards,

multiblitz

#267 Post by multiblitz »

Has anyone tried mpdpup with even smaller boards than Alix ? Like Rasperry or cubieboard or similars ?

Best Regards

michele_p

Audiodg DI v3

#268 Post by michele_p »

I am experiencing some issues with mpdpup and audiogd DIv3.
My setup includes also a W4S DAC1 spdif to analog converter.
Basically I am able to play 44khz file but with 96khz no sound comes out from the W4S even if its display shows the correct sample rate.
After this happen I cannot play back 44khz data and in order to recover operation I have to unplug-plug the audiogd.
Any suggestion ?
Has anyone ever tried mpdpup operation with this device (audiogd DI)?

michele_p

Re: Audiodg DI v3

#269 Post by michele_p »

michele_p wrote:I am experiencing some issues with mpdpup and audiogd DIv3.
My setup includes also a W4S DAC1 spdif to analog converter.
Basically I am able to play 44khz file but with 96khz no sound comes out from the W4S even if its display shows the correct sample rate.
After this happen I cannot play back 44khz data and in order to recover operation I have to unplug-plug the audiogd.
Any suggestion ?
Has anyone ever tried mpdpup operation with this device (audiogd DI)?
Mpdpup is loaded on CF of Alix 3D2 board

ldolse

#270 Post by ldolse »

@multiblitz, mpdPup is x86 only, so boards like the Pi won't work.

@michele_p, I haven't seen any feedback from anyone on the audiogd. I see somewhat similar behavior in my home setup, but only for 176/192Khz. Basically I need to unplug/replug my USB to SPDIF converter to get 176/192Khz to work correctly, but after doing that it works fine until the next reboot - I leave my system on all the time so it's not a big deal.

After you unplug/replug will 96Khz and above work?

Other users with different hardware have reported no issues in this area, so it is definitely hardware specific, but something I still want to improve someday.

michele_p

#271 Post by michele_p »

Idolse,

even if I unplug the device the 96khz play is not possible.
When switching from a 44 to a 96khz tune no sound to the speakers and display of W4S show “44khz

ldolse

#272 Post by ldolse »

@michele_p, it sounds like a hardware/firmware issue to me with the audio_gd. The spec page claims it is supported, but I wouldn't put a lot of faith in the spec page. I found numerous Internet threads that indicate the chipset it uses does not properly implement USB Class II audio, and that it's broken on Linux. I saw one thread indicating that the 3.2 kernel should work, but upgrading to the latest kernel is low on my list of priorities at the moment. It actually sounds like you're lucky 44Khz is working based on some of the threads I saw.

michele_p

#273 Post by michele_p »

Idolse,

I completely agree with you regarding the “reality

ldolse

#274 Post by ldolse »

[quote="michele_p"]I completely agree with you regarding the “reality

Supersurfer

#275 Post by Supersurfer »

Hi Idolse,

I am still not able to mount to my NAS. I have deleted the .2fs file, this brings up the graphic interface on ssh so I can configure the settings.

I use a synology DS411+II nas with DSM 4.1. I have probably not made the right setting on the NAS, I hope you can help me with this.
I have done this:
-made a user: alix
-gave alix read and write access to the music folder.
-the nas has two volumes
-in mpdpup I put in alix as user

See attached screendump for the settings.

What an I doing wrong?

Kind regards,
Attachments
Document1.jpg
(87.81 KiB) Downloaded 1061 times