mpdPup - Simplified MPD Music Server/Jukebox - v0.9.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jkoks

despotify

#16 Post by jkoks »

Idolse,

Thank you for the explenation. I have a premium account and the setup works and Mpad finds mpd.

Looking into despotify, do i understand correctly that it only works with the despotify client and not with regular mpd clients like mpad? Mpad doens't seems to search spotify and i can't get access to playlists

Thanks,

John

kocozze

cover art and poweroff

#17 Post by kocozze »

Hi Idolse,
a little question (rather two)...
a) My music library is stored in folders in a USB Hard disk with the following structure: GENRE/ARTIST/YEAR-ALBUM/File.wav
In any "YEAR-ALBUM" Folder there's a file "folder.jpg" (the cover art). When I access from MpdDroid (from my client) i can't view the cover art, while if the cover is stored in .flac file everything it's ok...What could be wrong?
b) How can I shut down mpdpup from client? Or How can I shut down from server power off button without command line?

Many thanks :roll:

bonalux

#18 Post by bonalux »

Tried several times using your script but no luck, any time after reboot have to unmute the waveio....frustrating. There is any way to check if the script is working as expected or not?
Another strange thing that happens, is that after sturtup, there is a very strong whistle coming from the speakers, it seem a larsen effect such as the sound (that isn't supposed to be there in theory) exiting the speakers returns to the microphones and the only solution was putting a 3,5mm jach in the hearphone plugs to disconnect the speaker, very strange...

ldolse

#19 Post by ldolse »

@jkoks, Glad you got it working. In one sense, you're correct - the other mpd clients don't have any special Spotify functions. That said, if you have favorite Spotify URLs, once you've found them from a browser you can play those using any client which will send MPD the spotify URL format I mentioned. You should then be able to save that as a playlist using any client, and re-load it at any time from any client by choosing it as a playlist. More integration would require work on the client developer's part - you could ask the MpAD developer and see if he's willing to add such functionality.

I'm thinking for a future release to create some functions in mpdPup which can search Spotify/Lastfm for information and let you load playlists that way, but that will need to wait til I'm in the right country with some spare time.

@kocozze, Did you change the url prefix per my changelog post: http://tunes.local/musiclibrary/ ?
I'm not sure if Android supports Avahi/Zeroconf - you may need to set your system up with a static IP and replace "tunes.local" with an IP. I'll double-check that all potential ways to set this up work correctly - it's working for me right now, but I'm using it with PHP enabled, can't remember if I did a final round of QA without PHP.

The flac behavior might be a red herring, perhaps mpDroid will search Amazon or some third party under certain situations.

Regarding shutdown, no mpdclient has the ability to actually shut down the machine - MPaD does have some extensibility there, but I've never dug into what would be required to leverage it. The system is designed so you can just power it down directly using the power button (just hold it down for a few seconds) or a switch on a power strip.

@Bonalux, Sorry you're still having trouble. You could add some debug statements to the unmute file, e.g.:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh 

unmute_audio(){ 
   CARDS=`aplay -l | grep card | cut -f 1 -d ':' | uniq | cut -f 2 -d ' '` 
   for card in $CARDS 
   do
      echo "Setting $card"
      CONTROLS=`amixer -c $card scontrols | cut -f 2 -d "'"` 
      for control in $CONTROLS 
      do 
         echo "Unmuting $control"
         amixer -c $card sset $control unmute >/dev/null 2>/dev/null 
         amixer -c $card sset $control 100% >/dev/null 2>/dev/null 
      done 
   done 

} 

unmute_audio 
Run the script manually by typing '/etc/init.d/unmute' at the CLI. If you see the debug statements and they make sense then it should be working. I forgot to mention, but after re-reading the old threads, you also have to type the following after unmuting

Code: Select all

alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store 
before using 'save2flash' or a full reboot.

The fact that it's not working could also be related to how you're powering down/rebooting the system as well - did you make any changes to this process based on what the posts I highlighted from the old thread?

So far no WaveIO users have chimed in here, it may be easier for you to get their attention on the diyaudio thread.

bonalux

#20 Post by bonalux »

AAAAAAHHH!!! Thanks for your support Idolse, the last command did the trick, tried three times and always worked, the WaveIo is now consistently unmuted at startup!! Tried also the "usbnrpacks" hack and there is a great improvement in sound opening and clarity, before the system didn't excited me too much, on the contrary, definitely a feature to be added as standard.

Now i'll go for an intense listening test ;)

Thank you very much and have a nice day!

ldolse

#21 Post by ldolse »

Glad to hear that worked! Now if I could only find a way to do it programmatically.

nrpacks is part of the wizard already - it gets set when you choose to use the 'recommended' settings instead of Linux defaults. If you go into the tweaks section or choose the advanced wizard you can specify what nrpack number you wish to use.

grunter

#22 Post by grunter »

ldolse wrote:Hi All, thanks for trying it out.

@grunter, Sounds like a rather strange problem - you used the wizard to test the sound output during the initial configuration, correct? Did the sound come out from the right place at that time? The only way I can see it changing is if the hardware did funny things where the internal and external cards swapped positions when the system initialized. Anyway glad you were able to resolve it. In the future you can always type 'mpdwizard' to get back to any options to make changes to the system.
Yes, it's very strange cause during te wiazrd I was able to hear the sound form my dac and, after rebooting even if everything remain the same, mpdpup doesn't use the dac but the internal soundcard.
Thank you for the suggestion of mpdwizard. You didd really a god job.

jrling

#23 Post by jrling »

I'm chiming in!
Just ran the 0.9.3 install wizards - excellent job, so much better than 0.9.2.

Did find the WaveIO muted but running the recommended CLI commands above and rebooting did the trick for me [Atom based D510 mobo].

Jonathan

jrling

#24 Post by jrling »

I have now run through the 0.9.3 install and found the following issues that prevented playback (with remote GMPC):

1. WaveIO muted - but that's to be expected and probably the WaveIO board's fault
2. In mpd.conf
a. in audio_output - the line device showed "" whereas it should read "hw:1,0" in my case. THe WaveIO had been recognised and configured so that is strange.
b. buffer_before_play I had set to be 100% in the wizard, but the line in mpd.conf read "100%%"

Hope the above were not caused by my finger trouble, but I try to be careful with these things.

Anyone else had the same?

Jonathan

jrling

#25 Post by jrling »

Idolse
Would be grateful for guidance on how to set SOX as the upsampler in mpdPup.

I see there is a section in mpd.conf for SOX output at the end with "enable=no" and my wizard entry for "176,400" correctly shown. Is it just a matter of "enable=yes"? Does one leave the main audio_output as is?

Many thanks
Jonathan

bonalux

#26 Post by bonalux »

ldolse wrote:Glad to hear that worked! Now if I could only find a way to do it programmatically.

nrpacks is part of the wizard already - it gets set when you choose to use the 'recommended' settings instead of Linux defaults. If you go into the tweaks section or choose the advanced wizard you can specify what nrpack number you wish to use.
For integrating i'm of no help, too noob :)
Did not find them in the wizard because for some reason it hangs and returns to the initial page when i try to select the recommended setting, so only choice was the default. Not a big problem now that i've done them manually.

ldolse

#27 Post by ldolse »

jrling wrote:Idolse

I see there is a section in mpd.conf for SOX output at the end with "enable=no" and my wizard entry for "176,400" correctly shown. Is it just a matter of "enable=yes"? Does one leave the main audio_output as is?

Many thanks
Jonathan
When you use the wizard you just choose advanced instead of basic. If you've already done the initial configuration then you just type 'mpdwizard', select 'sound' and you'll find the configuration in one of those sub-menus.

kocozze

cover art

#28 Post by kocozze »

Sorry Idolse,
I don't understand where and how I must change "tunes.local" with my IP static to view cover art... :? Can you explain me step by step? Thanks :mrgreen:

jrling

#29 Post by jrling »

I did choose the Advanced Wizard (great BTW) and gave my settings for SOX, and I got a new section at the end of mpd.conf for SOX.
However, I had assumed the "enable=no" in the SOX audio_output section meant that it was was not turned on?

SQ seems quite significantly better in my 0.9.3 set-up and apart from SOX which I am not sure is working, I chose the later version of MPD. Otherwise everything else was the same settings as 0.9.2.

I am certainly happy with that, but was curious as to why SQ improved!

Jonathan

PS Did you see my two reported wizard issues in an earlier posting? Don't know if they are of interest?
ldolse wrote:
jrling wrote:Idolse

Many thanks
Jonathan
When you use the wizard you just choose advanced instead of basic. If you've already done the initial configuration then you just type 'mpdwizard', select 'sound' and you'll find the configuration in one of those sub-menus.

ldolse

#30 Post by ldolse »

When you enable Sox a virtual sound device is created for each sample rate you choose. You need to use an MPD client which supports configuring the Audio Output (most do). You go into that section of the client, disable the primary audio output and enable one fo the Sox outputs.

Changing mpd.conf to enabled=yes is not really recommended - with that you'd probably be simultaneously enabling the default output + sox, and that could result in some weird behavior since both are trying to do different things on the same hardware interface. I wish MPD had a feature where you could tell it the underlying hardware for a sound card was the same across a set of cards so that it only allowed you to enable one, but it doesn't.

ldolse

#31 Post by ldolse »

Hi Jonathan,

I did miss your post regarding the wizard behavior, thanks for pointing it out.

Just use 100 in the wizard instead of 100%. There is supposed to be logic which detects that, but apparently I need to fix it.

For audio_output, how many different audio_output sections/devices did you see in mpd.conf? What was the name of the one that had device set incorrectly? It would help immensely if you could tell me exactly what path you took through the wizard to create the settings - this has always worked fine for me, so you problably chose a route through the configuration that I didn't think to test.

ldolse

Re: cover art

#32 Post by ldolse »

kocozze wrote:Sorry Idolse,
I don't understand where and how I must change "tunes.local" with my IP static to view cover art... :? Can you explain me step by step? Thanks :mrgreen:
Hi Kocozze, Sorry I missed this before - Looks to me like MPDroid works a bit differently than other MPD clients according to their Github page:
https://github.com/abarisain/dmix/wiki/Album-Art-on-your-LAN

If that page is correct you just need to find the settings in MPDroid and set the following two items:
Path to music: Should be 'musiclibrary' - no quotes, when using mpdPup
Cover filename: Whatever you name your Album art file - e.g. 'folder.jpg'

acvtre

#33 Post by acvtre »

Hi, I'm encountering several problems with the installation of mpdPup on my music-pc and it's strange since I had no problem on a virtualmachine.

I cannot get internet connection, even if it says that the DHCP connection has been established, I cannot configure a static IP and at the startup it says "making the filsystem usable...depomd failed".

ldolse

#34 Post by ldolse »

acvtre wrote:Hi, I'm encountering several problems with the installation of mpdPup on my music-pc and it's strange since I had no problem on a virtualmachine.

I cannot get internet connection, even if it says that the DHCP connection has been established, I cannot configure a static IP and at the startup it says "making the filsystem usable...depomd failed".
Sounds like the hardware may have some compatibility issues. What sort of hardware are you using?

acvtre

#35 Post by acvtre »

A mobo intel d945gsejt, with d-link dwa140 for wifi connection, external usb hdd and a soundcard onkyo se-200.

Puppy installed on a transcend 4gb CF linked via 44pin cable to the mobo.