forward compatibility of dotpups

Using applications, configuring, problems
Walt H

forward compatibility of dotpups

#1 Post by Walt H »

While I'm in the midst of my posting frenzy :), I was wondering about the extent to which dotpups are forward compatible. In other words, will a dotpup created around the time of Puppy 1.0.5 work with Puppy 1.0.9CE? If the answer is no or not always, is there somewhere a list of those dotpups that do play nice with 1.0.9CE? Thanks again.
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

MU

#2 Post by MU »

Almost all should work.
A very few could conflict with newer ones, for examplle there once was a Dotpup with some games, that included old SDL-libs incompatible with all the new game-dotpups.
So we repackaged it.

If you find one that will not work, report it please.
Mark

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

I haven't found any incompatible dotpup.

Incompatibilities usually arise from library updates and usually does come from kernel updates.

The kernel in Puppy has been quite stable.

The only thing to consider is that old DotPups that inserted themselves to the menu will not show in the 109 menu as the 'markers' they used to position themselves are no longer there.

The exception are the DotPups created with MU's DotPup creator utility. Well, that's the advantage of the standards, even the informal ones ;)

For applications that should show in the menu, dotpup developers should include a .desktop file. Meanwhile if the user wants to show the app in the menu, he/she must create a .desktop file using one of the current ones as an example (/usr/share/applications)
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to