pEqualizer - graphical EQ

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
hughtmccullough

#16 Post by hughtmccullough »

This is a really useful feature. However, I don't want to use it all the time. I have a high quality USB DAC that I use for audio and when I have good quality recordings I want to be able to send the music file directly to the USB audio without going through the equalizer or any mixers etc. Is it possible to switch the equalizer off and on so that I can either use it or completely bypass it (and any other devices that could modify the audio signal or resample it)?

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

When pequalizer is not running the equalizer backend is switched off. However, since it is integrated with Pmusic, when Pmusic is running so too is the equalizer backend.

The reason for this is that when alsaequal is running it conflicts with arecord and some alsa functions. I do realise that any software equalizer can only degrade signal.

HTH
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Dromeno

Balance slider

#18 Post by Dromeno »

Request: I would like to have a balance slider in the pEqualizer. Weird but it is not in Alsa Mixer or Retrovol. And not on my external speaker set either.

or,even better, is it possible to split the equalizer in two, one equalizer for each speaker?

zigbert

#19 Post by zigbert »

pMusic has builtin balance slider (But not in the default frontend). I plan to include volume/balance with the in the external equalizer window.

BUT, if Mick finds it more suitable to include it into pEqualizer, I will of course skip it.

Sigmund

hughtmccullough

#20 Post by hughtmccullough »

Mick

Thanks for the reply to my earlier post about turning pequalizer on and off. I have been playing around with things since and may have come up with a solution. If I select my sound card in Pmusic: Preferences > Playback instead of the default "auto" setting, it says that this disables the equalizer. Therefore, my reasoning is that I should be able to use this setting to bypass the equalizer and, hopefully, any other processes that would modify the sound. Then if I want to use pequalizer, I can set it back to auto. Am I right or have I got this all wrong?

Hogweed

Re: Balance slider

#21 Post by Hogweed »

Dromeno wrote:Request: I would like to have a balance slider in the pEqualizer. Weird but it is not in Alsa Mixer or Retrovol. And not on my external speaker set either.
Click the speaker icon in the tray then press the control or shift key as you adjust the volume. CTRL is right channel. SHIFT is left. Took me ages to find that first time. Works in retrovol full window as well.

zigbert

#22 Post by zigbert »

hughtmccullough wrote:Mick

Thanks for the reply to my earlier post about turning pequalizer on and off. I have been playing around with things since and may have come up with a solution. If I select my sound card in Pmusic: Preferences > Playback instead of the default "auto" setting, it says that this disables the equalizer. Therefore, my reasoning is that I should be able to use this setting to bypass the equalizer and, hopefully, any other processes that would modify the sound. Then if I want to use pequalizer, I can set it back to auto. Am I right or have I got this all wrong?
The sound card setting in pMusic will override global alsa settings. That means, pEqualizer won't work in pMusic, while it should work for other apps using the default alsa setting. The main purpose by selecting sound card in pMusic is to allow multiple targets: Play with pMusic on your headphones while the local radio plays in the livingroom using another app...

Sigmund

xanad

#23 Post by xanad »

Hi 01micko and Zigbert,

- pequalizer-0.9.0-x86_64.pet
https://copy.com/strQUivPJyJ3rIpt
[url]http://www.xanad.tk[/url] Html5 Parallax

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Micko & Zigbert.

Brilliant little app. I use it all the time, along with rcrsn51's pEasyMP3. Gives ace sound quality through earbuds on my ancient Dell lappie.

I have a query (and it it's a 'trade' secret' :lol: , fair enough..!) The GUI opens centrally on the desktop, yes? I know it can be positioned manually, but I would like to be able to set it to open on the left side of the screen. Looking through the script, all I can find is the reference to '$GUI EMBEDDED'.....i.e., no geometry values, or anything like that.

How could I do this, please?

Mike. :wink:

zigbert

#25 Post by zigbert »

Mike Walsh
There is no code to center the gui, but follows the normal window placement.

You can do this tweak to the last line in the executable to define placement

Code: Select all

</window>' | gtkdialog -s -G +100+100

Mike Walsh

#26 Post by Mike Walsh »

zigbert wrote:Mike Walsh
There is no code to center the gui, but follows the normal window placement.

You can do this tweak to the last line in the executable to define placement

Code: Select all

</window>' | gtkdialog -s -G +100+100
Hi, zigbert.

Thanks for that. I followed your directions (nearly got it wrong, by accidentally leaving a space between the first number and the second '+'!); and following a bit of a 'tweaking' session, now have both it and pEasyMP3 opening exactly where I want them.

http://i.imgur.com/KqClVfc.png

That's a useful 'tweak', too. I've inspected various apps config files before now, and spotted this same dialog here & there....but never quite knew what it was for, or what it did.

Many thanks. I'll have to remember this for future reference. Another bit of the Linux 'puzzle' under my belt.

Cheers! Appreciated.

Mike. :wink: