How to Boot Ubuntu 12.04 Grub2 from Puppy Grub legacy

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
2byte

How to Boot Ubuntu 12.04 Grub2 from Puppy Grub legacy

#1 Post by 2byte »

Background:
I have several frugal installs of Puppy on a single SATA hard drive (sda). I wanted to install Ubuntu 12.04 but I did not want to take the chance of ruining my Puppy installs. So I used another hard drive installed as the master, disconnected my drive with Puppy on it, and installed Ubuntu to the new hard drive. When installing Ubuntu I chose the advanced button and had it install Grub2 to the MBR and Ubuntu to the first partition, formatted as ext3 not ext4.

Now I reconnected my Puppy drive as the master and the drive with Ubuntu on it as a slave. Now when the computer starts it uses Grub legacy from the Puppy drive and I wanted it to chainload the Ubuntu drive and boot it. Well, chainload +1 from Grub legacy to Grub2 does not work.

Solution:
There are a lot of complicated posts on the net that are very misleading.
This is the entry in Grub legacy's menu.lst that will boot Ubuntu in this situation:

Code: Select all

title Ubuntu 12.04
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/grub/core.img
boot
I hope this saves someone else the frustration I had.

2byte

rcrsn51

Re: How to Boot Ubuntu 12.04 Grub2 from Puppy Grub legacy

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

2byte wrote: Well, chainload +1 from Grub legacy to Grub2 does not work.
I believe it would have worked if you had instructed Ubuntu to install GRUB2 to the partition boot sector, not the MBR.

2byte

#3 Post by 2byte »

Perhaps. Judging from the number of help requests where it was installed to the partition, it makes me wonder. I had always believed that Grub legacy could chainload to any other type of boot loader, so I didn’t think twice about putting it in the MBR since it was the only hard drive in the system when Ubuntu was installed.

Anyway, the point of my post was to help anyone who finds themselves in the same situation. There is an easy way to boot it, as is.