Dual-boot Puppy and Xubuntu on the Same Partition: 2 Methods

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
johnywhy

Dual-boot Puppy and Xubuntu on the Same Partition: 2 Methods

#1 Post by johnywhy »

hi

Here are some methods for dual/multi -booting Puppy with Xubuntu.

Method 1 is based on Grub2. It involves creating and editing configuration files manually. So far, i've only gotten this to work with 1 frugal puppy + Xubuntu.

Method 2 is based on Grub4Dos. It's simpler/better for people who don't want to deal with the command-line. Also, this method works with any number of puppies + Xubuntu.

Peeps please add other methods you know of. Also, plz report what other distros besides Xubuntu work with these recipes.

cheers!
Last edited by johnywhy on Tue 26 May 2015, 07:27, edited 6 times in total.
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

johnywhy

Method 1: Grub 2

#2 Post by johnywhy »

Method 1: Grub2

This method starts with the Xubuntu Grub2 installer, and then inserts Puppy into the Grub2 booter.

Works with: Only tested with Xubuntu, but i'm guessing it will work with any grub2 distro.

Xubuntu installs by way of grub2, a newer and more complex version of grub4dos (the bootloader built into puppy). grub2 does not seem to provide an easy built-in way to dual-boot xubuntu and puppy. however, this relatively simple recipe will dual boot puppy and xubuntu. love the simplicity of this recipe! my version of this recipe adds a couple steps that can save you time and ensure the process works the first time. also, i've only tested with xubuntu so far, but i think would work with any grub2 distro.
http://blog.kreatx.com/2011/12/16/dual- ... th-ubuntu/

Steps:

- you start by launching the xubuntu live cd.

- then install xubuntu using its built-in installer. Be sure to pick the right partition. Install to / of your desired partition.

- here's my extra step: after install, open /boot/grub/grub.cfg in a text viewer. Copy the "set root" line to your clipboard, and close the file. There's more than one ocurrence of set root, but they are apparently identical. Mine says:

Code: Select all

set root='hd0,msdos1'
- make a new folder called /puppy on boot partition.

- mount the puppy iso (i used xslacko, but i believe should work with any puppy).

- drag copy all files from xslacko iso into the /puppy folder you created on the boot partition.

- Create a new file called 07_puppy in /etc/grub.d/ with these commands:

cd /etc/grub.d/
sudo cp 40_custom 07_puppy
- in a text editor, append these lines to the file you just created, /etc/grub.d/07_puppy.

menuentry 'Puppy Linux' --class puppy --class gnu-linux --class os {
  set root=(hd0,msdos8)
  linux /puppy/vmlinuz
  initrd /puppy/initrd.gz
}
- (part 2 of my extra step): replace the set root line with the one you copied from grub.cfg.

- close and save the 07_puppy file.

- Update the grub config with this command: sudo update-grub

- Reboot. On reboot, when you see the countdown screen, press your ESCAPE key-- this part is not obvious! Now pick the OS you want to boot.

DONE.

Note:
- on boot, If you hit enter or spacebar instead of escape, you'll go right into puppy. if you wait for the countdown, you'll go right into puppy. There are actually two countdowns-- escape during either countdown to get to xubuntu. Apparently, this recipe will make puppy the default OS.

Unanswered questions:

- Perhaps someone else here can add instructions for how to:

-- make it go into the grub2 menu without pressing escape.

-- add more puppies to this multiboot system.

-- add more grub2 distros to this multiboot system.

-- change the two countdowns.
Last edited by johnywhy on Fri 22 May 2015, 06:14, edited 3 times in total.

johnywhy

Method 2: Grub4Dos

#3 Post by johnywhy »

Method 2: Grub4Dos.

Method 2 starts with Puppy Linux and Grub4Dos, and then 'inserts' Xubuntu into the grub4dos booter. It is more drag-and-drop, user-friendly. Works with multiple puppies + 1 Xubuntu.

Works with: Only tested with Xubuntu, but i'm guessing it will work with any distro that can be detected by grub4dos.

It so happens that Grub4Dos can detect Xubuntu and other distros (maybe because that's it's function :)

Steps:

- If you have no frugal puppies installed, then do these steps. Otherwise, if puppy is already installed, then skip to the step marked "SKIP TO HERE".

---- Do a manual grub4dos Puppy install as follows (or just use Puppy Universal Installer):

---- boot into a Puppy live CD.

---- Find and mount your desired Puppy ISO's, and copy all files into separate folders on your desired boot partition. (eg, you might have an xSlacko folder, and a Vlina folder). OR, use the puppy universal installer and install a frugal puppy. When this step done, you'll be able to boot into a standard grub/puppy boot menu.

(SKIP TO HERE:)

- Boot the Xubuntu live cd.

- Install Xubuntu using built-in installer.

- Reboot as directed.

- You'll again find yourself at the grub/puppy boot menu. Load a puppy.

- In puppy, run grub4dos. It will detect your Puppies and your Xubuntu installation, and create grub entries for all.

- Reboot. Now you'll have your Puppies and your Xubuntu at the grub boot menu.

Enjoy!
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]