Window Manager Switcher Update

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
modih

Window Manager Switcher Update

#1 Post by modih »

Greetings

I have been using various puppy versions but i think puppy precise 5.4( for its speed and PPM dependencies search) is what will make me stick to this one

The issue i am facing is getting window mangers like compiz and xfce to work cleanly and the option to switch between say xfce, compiz and default jwm

i tried my luck with wm switcher for slacko but it didn't show the xfce option.

i am not savvy on the window manager thing ..but is it possible to have a wm switcher that shows the popular WMs as a switchable option as soon as i install them (at least enlightenment, compiz ) ?

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

welcome modih :)

plogout works for me, but adjustments for special cases are manually made (editing various things like .xinitrc, /root/Startup scripts and such). Some wms prefer their own background setting, so a rox pinboard may conflict and so on. Once it's done, the transition is convenient, quick and pretty much universal with all the wms I've tried (to be honest, I haven't tried compiz but it shouldn't be that different if it starts from a prompt). It's not automatic but most everything is fairly easily understood and editable using the basic structure and examples over a wide range of pups.

Jejy69 has a different take on his wm-switcher for lxpup (precise and slacko versions) - it dl's and installs wms, updates and so on for some select wms.

Don't worry, experience with window managers is an ongoing thing ;)

modih

Thanks `f00

#3 Post by modih »

Apologies 'f00 for the delayed response

Thanks a ton for pointing out the solution