Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.2

Please post any bugs you have found
666philb

#91 Post by 666philb »

i made a .pet of exaile audio player for precise puppy http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81743
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

watchdog

#92 Post by watchdog »

algyzas wrote:Started 5.4 from USB, then while shutdowning it offered to save only into sdb1, USB stick, then I copied this save file from USB to HDD, now while starting precise cannot find this save file, precisesave.4fs, it is on D:\
Try this: copy from the USB to D:/ also vmlinuz, initrd.gz and isolinux.cfg. Open with geany isolinux.cfg on D:/ and change pmedia=cd with pmedia=atahd. Then boot from USB with option:
boot: puppy pmedia=atahd

666philb

#93 Post by 666philb »

the PPM lists 'libpq5_9.1.6' as installed when it actually isn't
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

rcrsn51

#94 Post by rcrsn51 »

algyzas wrote:Started 5.4 from USB, then while shutdowning it offered to save only into sdb1, USB stick, then I copied this save file from USB to HDD, now while starting precise cannot find this save file, precisesave.4fs, it is on D:\
Here is another way. Look on your USB drive for the file syslinux.cfg. Delete "pmedia=usbflash" from the end of the "append" line.

This will make Puppy look everywhere for its files and it should find the savefile on the hard drive.

oldyeller

#95 Post by oldyeller »

retroprecise-5.4 NON PAE

Can anyone download from the puppy-precise repo?

All I get is the option from a folder.

tlchost

No audio

#96 Post by tlchost »

No audio....went through all the steps, multi card, alsa settings

Slacko 533 and beta2 tells me I have a
Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller
VENDOR: 8086 DEVICE: 1e20

I get sound...Precise see the Panther Point, chip, but no sound. And hints on how to get sound output?

watchdog

Re: Precise Puppy 5.4

#97 Post by watchdog »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Here is another way. Look on your USB drive for the file syslinux.cfg. Delete "pmedia=usbflash" from the end of the "append" line.
I tried this way with an installation of other puppy on USB drive and a netbook. It fails if on netbook hd there is not initrd.gz and vmlinuz with savefile. Syslinux.cfg is used if the USB installation is obtained with universal installer. With unetbootin I think it remains isolinux.cfg. Best Regards.

rcrsn51

#98 Post by rcrsn51 »

watchdog wrote:I tried this way with an installation of other puppy on USB drive and a netbook. It fails if on netbook hd there is not initrd.gz and vmlinuz with savefile.
You're right. I looked at this again and my tests worked because Puppy found the other core files somewhere on the HDD partition. When I deleted them, it couldn't find the savefile.

Puppy does have a SAVEMARK option that lets you declare that the savefile is in another partition, but it only works if the file is on the SAME drive. Which doesn't apply here.

Brown Mouse

#99 Post by Brown Mouse »

I'm also seeing a black screen at boot but not every time.Once I restart x all is fine.

majorfoo

#100 Post by majorfoo »

oldyeller wrote:retroprecise-5.4 NON PAE

I just downloaded and created live cd. Posting from it now.

I used this link
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.4-retro/

Kinda slow, but it works

oldyeller

#101 Post by oldyeller »

majorfoo wrote:

I just downloaded and created live cd. Posting from it now.

I used this link
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precise-5.4-retro/

Kinda slow, but it works
Hi majorfoo,

I guess I should clarify a bit more. what I am talking about is the puppy-precies in the ppm can not download any pets, no other option but folder.

James C

#102 Post by James C »

No problem downloading/installing packages from the puppy-precise repo. Except for the fact that it's basically empty. :lol:

There's a few packages in "setup","multimedia","graphics" and "internet".

James C

#103 Post by James C »

Retro-Precise 5.4 on my trusty Athlon XP......... sound,internet and display all good on initial boot.No problems have really appeared yet.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: RetroPrecise Puppy, version 5.4

Chip description:
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
123 frames in 5.0 seconds = 24.446 FPS
146 frames in 5.0 seconds = 29.127 FPS
137 frames in 5.0 seconds = 27.329 FPS
146 frames in 5.0 seconds = 29.092 FPS
146 frames in 5.0 seconds = 29.176 FPS
148 frames in 5.0 seconds = 29.475 FPS
137 frames in 5.0 seconds = 27.255 FPS

Actually using the "nv" driver.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1034MB (209MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 26 Oct 2012 08:23:10 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on softpipe
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 3.2.32 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Wed Oct 24 10:24:58 GMT-8 2012
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.15 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Unknown distribution

slenkar

#104 Post by slenkar »

is this using a different version of xorg or intel drivers than slacko 5.3.3?

Precise works very well with my intel graphics card but slacko didnt

tallboy

#105 Post by tallboy »

I am not clever enough to be contributing to the development of puppy, but I hope it does not exclude me from having some comments/complaints about Precise Puppy 5.4, after running it live.
  • One of the most frequent questions in the forum is why the modem doesn't connect. I have a G3 ZTE MF636 USB modem, of the type that looks like a memory stick, and also contains memory, and it is a couple of years old by now. It does not connect.
    Why is it, that almost every new puppy have problems with registering and/or connecting this type of modems, neither as modems nor memory? Don't you developers read and register any of the forum posts about the problems regarding connecting these modems, and respond to them? Anyway, PP 5.4 does not find my modem, and does not find it as memory either. It was attached after bootup. In some puppy versions, the modem first registers as a disk drive, and has to be mounted/unmounted before registering as a memory stick/modem, but that did not happen here, either.
  • What is more serious, after failing to find the modem, it later also failed to find an ordinary memory stick, or my external 160 Gb USB harddisk. Running a manual mount did not help.
  • I agree with some earlier posts in this thread regarding appearance: I think the default theme and wallpaper are just plain ugly, fuzzy kindergarten looks that also hurt the eyes with it's brightness. I do not think it will win any new users from the other camps. I also think that some of the other alternatives supplied, are both ugly and outdated by now.
    After switching theme and icon set (Blue-Moon), not all icons changed; the folder icons in / remained the same.
  • I could not find any possible way to switch between 12 and 24 hour clocktype.
  • I know that I could have dived into the puppy's innards to try to correct some of these issues, but that should really not be necessary after so many puppy generations, especially if this puppy is intended for new puppy users. The PP 5.4 has a lot of news 'under the hood', but my impression is that it feels a bit unfinished, while it at the same time feels like a real old puppy, and that is not old as in 'good old'...
  • I know there has been done an absolutely fabulous effort in creating the 'woof' build system, it really deserves standing ovations. I am not familiar with 'woof' in detail, but my feeling is that perhaps there should be a 'bark' system for testing of the finished application builds, along similar lines as 'woof'?
There are most likely other issues too, and most certainly a lot of potentially positive experiences to be had, but after yet again being unable to make an internet connection - which really, really pissed me off this time, I just cut the trial short.
It may also have colored my first impression of Precise a little... :mrgreen:

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

cthisbear

#106 Post by cthisbear »

rerwin:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=75

" For now, please try the attached packages without Frisbee,
to see if there is any wireless improvement or impact "

:::::::::::::;

I used both of the Pets

firmware_linux_module_b43-20121024.pet

broadcom_sta-5.100.82.112-k3.2.29.pet

and I also installed Frisbee by peebee ,

and just restarted X-Server

instead of rebooting with a saved file

and my encrypted network shows up in Frisbee

and I am posting via Wireless on the Dell.

""""

I should also report that the Lan works as well
on a pristine first boot....before any pet fixes.

Ethernet controller:

NVIDIA Corporation MCP79 Ethernet (rev b1)

Great work....Chris

cthisbear

#107 Post by cthisbear »

One thing I hate.

Trying to cut and paste in Precise.

Like dealing with the invisible man....shocking.

The desktop wallpaper is OK in itself.
I loved Billtoo's??? little pic....aka pumpkins.

Chris.

rameshiyer

Precise Puppy 5.4

#108 Post by rameshiyer »

So far I have not faced any problem. Also like to inform you all that my Huawei 3G Modem working in both inbuilt connection manager as well as through Hauwei Mobile Partner Software (3rd party software). I am usually using 2G sim in 3Gmodem due to economical reasons. In mobile partner, the connection is quick and stable. More SPEED. I am now able to send SMS, USSD, etc.
Last edited by rameshiyer on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 03:35, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#109 Post by watchdog »

tallboy wrote: [*] One of the most frequent questions in the forum is why the modem doesn't connect. I have a G3 ZTE MF636 USB modem, of the type that looks like a memory stick, and also contains memory, and it is a couple of years old by now. It does not connect.
Have you tried first installing:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 2.4-up.pet

and

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 120815.pet

?

Sky Aisling

Precise Puppy 5.4

#110 Post by Sky Aisling »

Thank you Barry, for another swell Puppy!

So far, I've tried Precise-Puppy 5.4 on three machines and haven't been able to break the system.*
I've had no black-out X issues on bootup.
Network Wizard is connecting on all three machines.
Precise is flying on all of them. (well, the 13 year old Presario is a bit slow).
I am delighted to see Shinobar's SFS-Load on-the-fly program listed in the menu/setup.

However, try as I might, I cannot find the setting for the panel clock to set to 12 hour time.
Where is the panel setting for the 12 hour clock?
Where is the panel setting to change the icons of the panel?

Also, where is the 'home' button on Seamonkey-2.13.1 tool bar?

Suggestion: please include *Pfind* or similar application icon on the desktop. Thank you.

Kudos Barry! Looks like you've done it again.

*Machines running Precise-Puppy 5.4 from Live-CD:

Zareason Big Lap (Asus)
3 gigs RAM
Intel Celeron M CPU 410@1.46GHz

Dell Inspiron 5100
1 gig RAM
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz

Compaq Presario 1200US
128 mg RAM
Intel Coppermine
Last edited by Sky Aisling on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 07:26, edited 1 time in total.