Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.2

Please post any bugs you have found
pemasu

#406 Post by pemasu »

Sage. You have:
Manufacturer=Ralink
Product=802.11 n WLAN
VendorID=148f ProductID=2870 KERNEL-DRIVER(builtin)=(none) > should show kernel driver info here.

...which means the kernel included rt2800usb is the driver for it. But you have problems with connections.
The needed firmware 2870.bin has been included.

Next....I didnt see any rt2800usb loading attempt in kernel messages. Because there is no attempt to load it, I cant see if there is any errors with loading...or is it problem with wpa/wpa2 connection. You have possibly blacklisted or disabled it other way. Could you reverse your blacklisting or load the module manually:
Again in console: modprobe rt2800usb
And then again provide that pmodemdiag tarball.

There is possibility for proprietary rt2870sta driver provided by Ralink. Which should support your 2870 chip.

Also I understood that there is still some unsupported features with rt2800usb which might explain your problems.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 16 Dec 2012, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#407 Post by Sage »

I tried several things, including loading all four available rt28xxusb modules, for which the attached pertains. Results seems to be the same in all cases - no detection - but I can select any particular option you suggest. This dongle does get detected on some Puppies (can't remember which) but never connects. It does connect on other distros, but I'd need to confirm which ones during a protracted re-testing regime.It is very valuable to have this detailed information; the downloads of my attachment suggests that there are others wishing to know the outcome, also (presuming the idiot fringe has now disappeared).

Jasper

#408 Post by Jasper »

Sage,

Think, before you write.

pemasu

#409 Post by pemasu »

Sage. Now we get to somewhere.
From kernel messages:
Feb 25 15:48:47 puppypc14330 user.info kernel: [ 10.270561] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2800usb
Feb 25 15:48:47 puppypc14330 user.info kernel: [ 10.436800] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt73usb
Feb 25 15:48:47 puppypc14330 user.info kernel: [ 10.511336] usbcore: registered new interface driver rt2500usb

You seem to have rt73usb, rt2500usb and rt2800usb loaded which leads to conflicting situation and possibly failed network connection due to 3 loaded wireless driver. This need to be eliminated first.

You can install the attached pet, which has updated /etc/rc.d/MODULESCONFIG where the preference of rt73usb and rt2800usb has been created for the favor of rt2800usb, rt73usb and rt2500usb has been blacklisted and rt2800usb will be loaded as forced. If you install the pet you need to reboot and check how it goes and post once again pmmodemdiag tarball.

EDIT. I saw that you posted that you had loaded 4 different wireless drivers. Dont try now on anything other than rt2800usb so that pmodemdiag tarball diagnostic data does not have obscuring trials.

This pet is only to test Sage`s problem, not generic fix for all Precise users.
Attachments
rt2800usb-preference-fix.pet
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 794 times

rerwin

More diagnostics

#410 Post by rerwin »

pemasu, sage,
I am one of the downloaders of the preference fix package, to see what it contains. I do not want to interfere with Pemasu's efforts, but may have something that might help.

It would be useful to get the diagnostics of a clean setup (with or without the preference fix) that has all of the modules-of-interest installed but not forced to load. But first, be sure that, once they are installed, the 'depmod' command is run to ensure the modules can recognize the hardware (if they can). Reboot, to get the benefit of the depmod during bootup.

Then use my brand-new, super diagnostic collector, attached. It is used the same way as pmodemdiag, but is named "pdiag", since it is intended to be all-purpose. It now captures the modules.alias file, so we can see what the modules think they support, and can update the preference items as appropriate.

Note that when a module is forced to load, preferences are ignored, since the user "knows what he/she is doing".
Richard

Update 12/26/2012: Re-uploaded package to add minor changes after download 13. No need to replace an already-downloaded version.

Update 12/28/2012: Re-uploaded package to correct the archive directory from tmp/pdiag... to pdiag... after download number 17, but with no functional change.

Update 12/30/2012: Uploaded package to remove collection of potentially sensitive wireless connection data related to the network wizard, after download number 19.

Update 1/17/2013: Uploaded package to add splash messages when run within the new frisbee-1.0, after download #38.

Update 1/23/2013: Uploaded internationalized version that uses dialog windows and control over saving of potentially sensitive WPA files.
Attachments
pdiag-20130123.pet
Super diagnostic collector internationalized, with GUI and control of sensitive WPA file capture.
(4.38 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 23 Jan 2013, 20:26, edited 7 times in total.

pemasu

#411 Post by pemasu »

Rerwin. Hah :D
My secret intent was to wake up other more competent people to study this case.
So far I have just wanted to get diagnostic information about what happens when just rt2800usb has been loaded. That was the only reason for that preference change. To be sure that rt2800usb has been loaded and only that one.
I think that rt2800usb is the right module, but there probably is something buggy with it`s usage.

Please, interfere as much as you desire. I am sure it helps a lot.
Cheers.

EDIT. Yup. I didnt know that force loading means also that preferences list will be ignored. How about blacklisting in MODULESCONFIG. Is it still effective ?

rerwin

#412 Post by rerwin »

pemasu wrote:I didnt know that force loading means also that preferences list will be ignored. How about blacklisting in MODULESCONFIG. Is it still effective ?
The preference list is ignored when performing the forced load only. Other competitors not in the ADDLIST are subject to the preference list. However, blacklisting is set up before loading from the ADDLIST, making the added modules subject to blacklisting, themselves (if they are in both the SKIPLIST and ADDLIST).

I guess my offering is more for the long-term solution for preferences. I hope you are able to find the combination of patches to rt2800usb, to help sage. (But I wanted an excuse to give you the pdiag tool for upup and dpup.)
Richard

pemasu

#413 Post by pemasu »

Rerwin. Pdiag will be surely in Upup Precise. It has nice additions...like the whole bunch of network diagnostics.

Sage

#414 Post by Sage »

Extremely grateful for your most constructive and helpful advice, fellas. I was diverted to the crowning of our Tour de France Olympian on TV last night and out most of today. Will get back to biz tomorrow (Tues). Will try to find another spare HD to run up a 'clean' install as recommended.
Wondering if you have another customer over on FD64, namely gnomic with a 3G dongle?

Later.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#415 Post by BarryK »

Precise 5.4.3 is released, feedback is in a different thread:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 888#671888

A note about SKIPLIST, which is being discussed above. All along, we have had "nouveau" in it, but Precise Puppy now uses the Nouveau driver, or is supposed to, as it is now deemed to be mature.
Curious that some people have reported the Nouveau Xorg driver works, even though the nouveau kernel module was blacklisted.
Anyway, 5.4.3 has removed "nouveau" from SKIPLIST.
This issue was reported by pemasu.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

rodin.s

powerapplet_tray in Compaq 6910p

#416 Post by rodin.s »

I got HP Compaq 6910p for testing. I am running Precise-5.4.2 (my Russian remastered version) on it. I do not touch local hard drive, booting from CD and saving to USB-flash. Installed Wine and running "Cossacks back to war" and "IL2-Shturmovick" on it. Works well. One small problem: powerapplet_tray always the same in it's initial state and doesn't reflect the state of the battery. I managed to fix it.
This laptop has two batteries and only one is present:

Code: Select all

# ls /proc/acpi/battery/
C23A  C23B

Code: Select all

# cat /proc/acpi/battery/C23A/info 
present:                 no
# cat /proc/acpi/battery/C23B/info 
present:                 yes
design capacity:         3886 mAh
last full capacity:      3886 mAh
battery technology:      rechargeable
design voltage:          10800 mV
design capacity warning: 195 mAh
design capacity low:     39 mAh
cycle count:		  0
capacity granularity 1:  100 mAh
capacity granularity 2:  100 mAh
model number:            Primary
serial number:           51064 2007/10/08
battery type:            LIon
OEM info:                Hewlett-Packard
Powerapplet_tray was fooled by first not present battery and never managed to find second one. I added function "check_present" to powerapplet_tray which in case if "present: no" keeps on searching. Maybe it's not the best solution but at least it works here and battery status is shown.
Attachments
powerapplet_tray_dir.tar.gz
source and binary
(7.58 KiB) Downloaded 694 times

gilloraymondo

ACER 7715Z precise 543

#417 Post by gilloraymondo »

Hi,

Trying to install precise 543 on my ACER aspire 7715Z I have a problem : I see the first window, and then severals Grub lines.
The last line I see is "loading kernel modules" and then I have a black screen. The only thing I can do then is to press on/off to shutdown this way.....

With the same ISO, no problem with another computer.

Anyone has an idea on what to do ?

Friendly yours.

gilloraymondo

#418 Post by gilloraymondo »

Hi,
I go on to try to understand the problem
If I use another screen with a cable linked to my ACER aspire 7715z, it works perfectly well on the other screen.
In fact, on the acer aspire 7715z screen, the puppy desktop is there but it is nearly impossible to see something.
On Internet, I have seen than all people with this computer have the same problem with this new kernel with ubuntu too
I read on Internet that the problem could be the graphic card driver Nvidia. I don't know if it's right.
But if it is, the best think to do should be to install another driver (the one used before on the previous kernel, I don't know what is its name...) and to remove the Nvidia.

Thank you if you can help me

Hogweed

#419 Post by Hogweed »

Try the Retro build of Precise Puppy 5.4.3. It uses the older nvidia driver. See info at http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00070 - (Make sure you grab the Retro build)
and http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... README.htm ("Note, if you have nVidia graphics hardware, in some cases the 'nouveau' X.org driver (in the "normal" Precise Puppy) may not work. In that case, you may find find success with the older and simpler 'nv' driver in the "retro" Precise Puppy.")

By the way you are in the wrong old topic thread. You should be posting in this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 61&t=82092 for 5.4.3

That's the current thread people are watching.

don570

#420 Post by don570 »

While using Precise 5.4.90 I came across a small error while
choosing to 'reboot'. The shutdown message says that there will be an
automatic shutdown after 240 seconds. By chance I waited the full
240 seconds and nothing happened except the yellow window
went away. I tested on a second machine and the same thing
happened. It's not important but I thought I'd let you know.
The button in window does work to create a pupsave file.

Test setup: IBM desktops , frugal install and no pupsave,
therefore this was the first shutdown procedure.

By the way your improved report-video now works on my machine.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#421 Post by BarryK »

don570,
This is an old, dead, thread that you have posted in.

Note to forum moderator: please remove this thread from "sticky".
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

linuxbear

#422 Post by linuxbear »

James C wrote:Torrent working here fine....... :)

I'll seed a while too.
I got precise much faster using the "downthemall" extension on Firefox

Pelo

Precise 5.4.3 and exaile

#423 Post by Pelo »

Precise 5.4.3 and exaile : it works well (Not sure to find many puppies that can so easily play exaile
Download it from the PPM

audacious-3.2.3-2|audacious|3.2.3-2||Multimedia|8868K||audacious-3.2.3-2.pet||Listen to music|ubuntu|lucid||

exaile-3.2.2_precice|exaile|3.2.2_precice||Multimedia|76501K||exaile-3.2.2_precice.pet||Listen to, explore, or manage your audio collection, pet created by 666philb|ubuntu|precise||

YaRock-0.49|YaRock|0.49||Multimedia|2004K||YaRock-0.49.pet||Play your music collection|ubuntu|lucid||
Attachments
bluebird.jpg
Bluebird is not a Nightingale.
(60.38 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

Pelo

YaRock has no audio

#424 Post by Pelo »

YaRock has no audio, that is a 'No Go Item' for a Jukebox :!:
About Precise Puppy 5.4.
Don't be jealous of people having installed newer versions, it's not sure they can run as many applications as you.
Our nice ToOpPy Two is based on Precise 5.4.3 but neither YaRock nor Exaile start.
I decided to go one step backward with Puppies 'ubuntu' 6.0.XX, FFmpeg being omitted as default.
I take a glance at bugs, because Help on the forum has gone on install of Xenialpup.