Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.2

Please post any bugs you have found
otropogo

xorgwizard failures with Puppy 5.4

#226 Post by otropogo »

Have just spent several hours trying to configure the display in Puppy 5.4. Although I've had some problems with Quirky-120 in the last two days, and with Puppy 528 in the past, I've never been completely stumped before.

My adapter is a ATI X1550 w/256MB of RAM, in an Intel D865GLC motherboard. I've got two monitors attached via a Maxtor DualHead2Go adapter. One is a 21" Sun CRT converted to PC use, the other is a 17" LG Flatron L1710B LCD.

In Lupupluslibre 005-2, I'm able to run both monitors at 1600x1200@60Hz, or at 1280x1024@75Hz.

In Quirky, I can run both at 1600x1200, 1280x1024@60 (and 1024x768@75, if I can trust my notes). The CRT is getting old and dim, so I like to have it available, but prefer to use the LCD most of the time.

There's often a problem installing Linux, not just Puppy, initially with this setup as the probe generally wants to spread the display across the two monitors. In Puppy 528 this is fairly easy to fix, especially when the special Radeon driver is installed. In Quirky it was quite a bit of work to get it right, because xorgwizard keeps insisting on making the display 2560x1024x60 , and when I choose 1280x1024 insists on making it 85Hz, which the LG can't handle.

However, eventually I can get both monitors to display at the same time in at least two resolutions that fit in both Quirky and 528.

But in 5.4, I haven't been able to find anything except 2048x768@60 (spread across both monitors) that fits. With other configuration tried, the LG give an error message: "dsub input signal out of range". And some settings that work on both monitors elsewhere wont display on either in 5.4.

Right now I'm running Puppy 5.4 at 1600x1200 on the CRT, and I can't change it down to 1280x1024@60, xorgwizard just ignores the input.

I've also tried choosing the "Radeon" option in Xorgwizard, and that blacks out both monitors.

Very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Update: according to report-video, I'm only running in 1280x768 under lupu528, whereas the resolution changer reports 1280x1024

Under Puppy 5.4, report-video doesn't report any resolution, only the colour depth, whereas resolution changer reports 1600x1200 as being in effect (*).
Last edited by otropogo on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 16:52, edited 1 time in total.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

otropogo

adding wallpapers - how

#227 Post by otropogo »

Have gone another hour or two trying in vain to get a usable xorg configuration for my monitors in Puppy 5.4. I've got two choices, 2048x768 @ 60Hz, spread over two monitors (hideous and unwieldly), or the LCD monitor is disabled, and the 21' CRT displays at 1600x1200@60Hz - very uncomfortable for my viewing, plus I'm stumped if my CRT gives out.

So unless someone can talk me through another way of configuring, I'm stumped.

Meanwhile, I can't find any means of adding a new wallpaper to the selection provided. I've never had this issue before either.

James C

#228 Post by James C »

Another quick test of Precise 5.40 with a different Nvidia card. Sound,internet and display all correct on boot.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Precise Puppy, version 5.4

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: nv44 Board - p382h1 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Actually using "nouveau".

-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.00GHz
Memory : 1554MB (194MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Mon 05 Nov 2012 01:54:53 AM CST
-Display-
Resolution : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Gallium 0.4 on NV4A
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH - Intel 82801BA-ICH2
Audio Adapter : MPU-401 UART - MPU-401 UART

Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 05)
VGA compatible controller : NVIDIA Corporation NV44A [GeForce 6200] (rev a1) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
Ethernet controller : D-Link System Inc Gigabit Ethernet Adapter (rev 11

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
# glxgears
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 30
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 55
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 56
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 59
nvfx_screen_get_param:95 - Warning: unknown PIPE_CAP 58
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
2194 frames in 5.0 seconds = 438.672 FPS
3353 frames in 5.0 seconds = 670.486 FPS
3800 frames in 5.0 seconds = 759.843 FPS
3804 frames in 5.0 seconds = 760.669 FPS
3764 frames in 5.0 seconds = 752.799 FPS

666philb

Re: adding wallpapers - how

#229 Post by 666philb »

otropogo wrote:
Meanwhile, I can't find any means of adding a new wallpaper to the selection provided. I've never had this issue before either.
put your new background in /usr/share/backgrounds

or you could use don570's pet, which gives you an option to send a picture to the backgrounds folder by right clicking http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Precise Puppy 5.4

#230 Post by BarryK »

watchdog wrote:
tallboy wrote: [*] One of the most frequent questions in the forum is why the modem doesn't connect. I have a G3 ZTE MF636 USB modem, of the type that looks like a memory stick, and also contains memory, and it is a couple of years old by now. It does not connect.
Have you tried first installing:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 2.4-up.pet

and

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 120815.pet

?
Please don't do that. Precise Puppy 5.4 already has usb-modeswitch and usb-modeswitch-data. Every Puppy will have them.

If you are having problems with a USB 3G modem, do not blame Puppy. Go to the usb-modeswitch forum/mail-list and discuss it there, as it is a problem with that application.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#231 Post by BarryK »

emil wrote:Keyboard shortcuts for International characters
cannot be found
file:///usr/share/doc/shortcutkeys.htm is missing.
Thanks, I have removed that link from the Help page.

It relies upon "Zombie Keys" PET pkg being installed. It used to be in my pups, however it does not work with latest SeaMonkey.

Zombie Keys page:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/seamon ... mbie-keys/

BarryK
Puppy Master

#232 Post by BarryK »

666philb wrote:'libraw1394' is Marked as installed when it isn't
Yes it is.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#233 Post by BarryK »

James C wrote:Update...... just booted the non-pae Precise pfix=ram and now I'm also unable to download from the puppy precise repo.See screenie. No problem with Ubuntu repos though.
This will be fixed in the next Precise, 5.4.1.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#234 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Ok James, that sheds some light for me, I'll come up with a hot fix shortly.

(it's to do with the "retroprecise" prefix, 99% sure)

It just so happens that I have it on the usb stick on the lappy I'm using now..

EDIT

ok, here is the DIFF

Code: Select all

--- /usr/local/petget/downloadpkgs.sh.old	2012-10-29 10:18:55.192350888 +1000
+++ /usr/local/petget/downloadpkgs.sh	2012-10-29 10:08:30.000000000 +1000
@@ -57,6 +57,7 @@
  [ "$REPO_DEFAULT_SUBSUBDIR" == "noarch" ] && OFFICIAL_REPO='quirky' #120313
  [ "$REPO_DEFAULT_SUBSUBDIR" == "gap6" ] && OFFICIAL_REPO='quirky' #120515
  [ "$DISTRO_NAME" = "Precise Puppy" ] && OFFICIAL_REPO='quirky' #120908 see /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
+ [ "$DISTRO_NAME" = "RetroPrecise Puppy" ] && OFFICIAL_REPO='quirky' #120908 see /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
  [ "$DISTRO_NAME" = "Precise Arm Puppy" ] && OFFICIAL_REPO='quirky' #120908
  [ "$DISTRO_NAME" = "Wheezy Arm Raspbian Puppy" ] && OFFICIAL_REPO='quirky' #120908
  [ "$DISTRO_NAME" = "Squeezed Arm Puppy" ] && OFFICIAL_REPO='quirky' #120908
REMEMBER.. Barry did warn that retro is unofficial...
Recent changes to Woof have fixed the problem.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#235 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:rjbrewer reported here thet grubconfig is broken in the latest Slacko.

rcrsn51 found the cause and solution here

Precise suffers from the same bug, missing cp-FULL. Though I haven't tried it, it seems gubconfig is broken at the woof level.

# find / -name cp-FULL
# grep cp\-FULL `which grubconfig`
 cp-FULL -p /usr/share/grub/*/*stage* $BOOT/grub 2>$TMP/null
 cp-FULL -p /usr/local/share/grub/*/*stage* $BOOT/grub 2>$TMP/null
 cp-FULL -p /usr/lib/grub/*/*stage* $BOOT/grub 2>$TMP/null
Evidence that cp-FULL is not in Precise.
Thanks, fixed.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#236 Post by BarryK »

nubc wrote:Yes, I chose 'Examine dependencies' and installed all dependencies (67). After all dependencies were installed, however, VLC was not installed. Installing VLC required opening PPM again then installing it, which went smoothly. I then restarted the X server. When I got to Desktop again, I opened urxvt and entered "vlc", which returned "not a bash command."

EDIT: I tried installing again, this time with better results as 'VLC media player' is now in the menu tree under Multimedia.

# vlc
VLC media player 2.0.3 Twoflower (revision 2.0.2-93-g77aa89e)
[0x8053150] main libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
Unable to load library icui18n "Cannot load library icui18n: (libicui18n.so.48: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)" 
Works good now using 'Open with...' dialog, after I made an absolute link with vlc binary located /usr/bin
Unfortunately, there is a bug in the Ubuntu packages database. Package 'libicu48' is not always shown as a dependency, although it is needed. I reported on this on my blog, and manually added it as a dependency to the 'scribus' package.

But, you have found that 'vlc' also needs it.

Ubuntu users don't encounter this bug, as libicu48 would always be installed. But it isn't in our cut-down Puppy.

It is a very big pkg, which is why I don't want to just build it in, unless it is actually needed. However, to get around the shortcoming of the Ubuntu pkg deps database, I will add 'libicu48' to be builtin to the next release of Precise Puppy.

jmsmorais

#237 Post by jmsmorais »

Hello! I'm a bit of a newbie so bear with me... I have found the following issues with Precise Puppy 5.4:

1) When using PGPRS, i can't disconect, neither using CTRL+C, nor the "Disconnect from network" option in the network icon. I just found out that not disconecting when closing the terminal is a new feature but i don't know about the other 2.

2) As a workaround for the above i use the dialup modem wizard. Using this wizard only has one problem, the first connection ALWAYS fails, it always gives me an error, i believe it is something like: at+cpin=(my modem pin) bad init string. I then disconect and conect again and it starts working. Is this the normal behaviour? Is it supposed to give an error everytime i restart my pc and try to connect?

3) When installing the package WAKEONLAN through the ubuntu repos, when i try to run the app it gives an error. I then RE-install the PERL MODULES package, just this package without any other dependencies, and WAKEONLAN just starts working. Any ideas as to why? Is this supposed to happen?

4) When testing the linux firewall with Shields Up, connected with my 3G USB modem (not behind a router), it always reports that the 80 port is OPEN. I have never seen this happen with other firewalls.

5) In every single laptop i have tried precise puppy 5.4, i have to go to the alsa setup wizard and change the speakers volume as it is at 0. The box is thicked by default but the value is 0.

Thanks!
Last edited by jmsmorais on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 14:14, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: "Features" in Precise Puppy

#238 Post by BarryK »

minimalist wrote:After installing some packages from Ubuntu, like hpjjs (HP printer drivers) all desktop icons turn into "yield signs" (the triangle standing on its tip) and the icon text and text inside dialog boxes turns into rectangle characters. Can't read any text any more. The main menu remains intact.

Has anyone seen this? I did not install a different video driver, just regular built in 1200 X 1000 or whatever.

So, it is best for me to use Precise Puppy out of the box and not install any packages. This is also the idea of small and fast...
I have just been through the exercise, installed 'hpijs' and its deps via the ppm. No problem, everything works afterward. I even did a reboot, desktop text and icons still ok.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#239 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:The pupradio in Precise is old. Some of the channels fail now too. If 0.16 was in it would have worked. I am up to 0.17 now to fix the opera bug, Posted here.
Thanks, I have upgraded.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Firewall Docs

#240 Post by BarryK »

L18L wrote:ALL PUPPIES! Firewall Docs gone?
confirm
ALL PUPPIES! Firewall Docs gone :!:
Thanks, I have upgraded the Linux Firewall PET with a link to 'http://puppylinux.us/firewall/' in it's docs section.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Puppy-Universal-Installer crashes

#241 Post by BarryK »

julakali wrote:This is an answer to a bug posted on Page 4 of this Thread...
boon wrote:Hi, I already posted this in the beginners section.

I got following problem. Trying to do a full install of Precise on my hard drive, Puppy-Universal-Installer crashes after selecting the partition to install to. When I start puppyinstaller from console, I get:
** (gtkdialog4:4524): ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 5, near token '</label>': syntax error

Any idea what is going on?
Thank you for the great work, boon
There seems to be an error, which is actually in line ~750 of /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller.
The error is in the line that contains the label "You have choosen to install Puppy to partition [...]".
I just removed that label from the script to continue...

edit: happens with german language pack
You will need to contact Forum member L18L about this, he is the 'de' langpack maintainer -- there is also a thread in this Forum.

L18L

regular expression evaluation and learning tool

#242 Post by L18L »

file:///usr/share/doc/HOWTO-regexps.htm wrote:[Note: Puppy has a regular expression evaluation and learning tool in the Utilities menu]
Once upon a time (version 1.04) I have used it much.
But now it seems to have disappeared :cry:

-------------------------------------------
edited
I am going to have a look on puppy installer now

------------

edit
fixed, thank you
Attachments
puppyinstaller.mo.gz
save as
/usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/puppyinstaller.mo
(45.85 KiB) Downloaded 919 times
Last edited by L18L on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 18:26, edited 2 times in total.

otropogo

Re: adding wallpapers - how

#243 Post by otropogo »

666philb wrote:
otropogo wrote:
put your new background in /usr/share/backgrounds

or you could use don570's pet, which gives you an option to send a picture to the backgrounds folder by right clicking http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67013
Thanks, I'm in lupuplus right now, but will try your suggestion next time I boot with Puppy 5.4

Ok, /usr/share/backgrounds works for me. Thanks. The right choice of background makes the wrong resolution more palatable.
Last edited by otropogo on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#244 Post by bigpup »

Barry,

A lot of the programs:

Help selections do nothing when clicked on.
You get a help menu, but none of the selections do anything if they point to a web site or URL

Also the about screen web links will do nothing when clicked on.

This got fixed in Lucid Puppy.
Works also in Slacko.

Not sure what needs to be done, but 01micko should be able to provide info to you.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

otropogo

#245 Post by otropogo »

James C wrote:Another quick test of Precise 5.40 with a different Nvidia card. Sound,internet and display all correct on boot.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Precise Puppy, version 5.4

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: nv44 Board - p382h1 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

Interesting. In my installation of 5.4 all report-video displays is the name of the video chip : ATI ATOM RV515 1:00,

and the colour depth (24),

I haven't found a way to copy and paste the display from urxvt.

In lupuplus 528, the same command provides the full name of the card (Radeon X1300/X1550 Series), and the resolution of the display (1280x768), as well as the depth.

There's also a Lighthouse 0.6 popup with the same information and NO mention of "vesa" in either the terminal (ROX) or Lighthouse:
sh-4.1# report-video
Lucid , version 528 on Mon 5 Nov 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
ATI Technologies Inc RV515 PRO [Radeon X1300/X1550 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RV515 01.00

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: radeon

X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

Last edited by otropogo on Tue 06 Nov 2012, 05:02, edited 1 time in total.