Precise Puppy 5.4 and 5.4.2

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#196 Post by 01micko »

The pupradio in Precise is old. Some of the channels fail now too. If 0.16 was in it would have worked. I am up to 0.17 now to fix the opera bug, Posted here.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Sage

#197 Post by Sage »

A kind and patient contributor showed how to attach a picture, repeated under. The final step to include it in text requires extra skill that I will work on when time permits. Hope folks like it. The wallpaper was kindly supplied a while back by another resident artist.

& see previous page.
Last edited by Sage on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

colorpurple21859

distorted display

#198 Post by colorpurple21859 »

Frugal install to usb key by copying files extracted from iso. Dispaly distorted like an analog tv with no signal in both X and console on laptop with amd a8 with ati 6700m hybride grapahics. Have tried the following with no success: nomodeset xdriver=vesa vga=normal video=800x600x60 noacpi pfix=ram pfix=nox.
Lucid worked on same laptop without any problems
Usb key works great on computer with phenom 9550 and geforce 9300 graphics card.

rcrsn51

#199 Post by rcrsn51 »

Woof-built Puppies continue to have the old cups_shell front end. A simpler, more nooby-friendly version is attached.
Attachments
cups_shell_rcrsn-1.0.pet
(507 Bytes) Downloaded 666 times

L18L

Firewall Docs

#200 Post by L18L »

ALL PUPPIES! Firewall Docs gone?
confirm
ALL PUPPIES! Firewall Docs gone :!:

L18L

nooby printing

#201 Post by L18L »

rcrsn51 wrote:Woof-built Puppies continue to have the old cups_shell front end. A simpler, more nooby-friendly version is attached.
friendlyness seems to be restricted to English reading noobies :roll:

we have also
file:///usr/share/doc/cups_shell.htm
localized

Just a link to the forum is not really nooby-friendly I think.

rcrsn51

Re: nooby printing

#202 Post by rcrsn51 »

L18L wrote:we have also
file:///usr/share/doc/cups_shell.htm
localized
With all due respect, translating out-of-date information helps no one.

bones01

Resolution settings

#203 Post by bones01 »

Hi all,
I'm using Precise on a live DVD and up until yesterday, it was all looking great. I am using a desktop with a 1440x900 monitor and Puppy Precise was working fine on this, unlike some other puppies I've tried.

However, last night I installed wbar, had the settings almost right at the top of the screen. I tweaked the wbar settings to be at the 10 points from the top instead of the default 15, and suddenly, the resolution jumped to 1024x768. The only other resolution offered to me is 800x600 or worse.

I didn't save the session in the hope that I could restart, but no luck with that. I'm stuck at 1024x768 on a monitor not built for it. Everything works, but it's big and ugly.

I don't know if this is bug on Precise, but wanted to post here. Any suggestions?

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

bones01

Resolution Problems Pt2

#204 Post by bones01 »

I burned a fresh copy to see if I could get off to a fresh start. Alas, I am still stuck with 1024x768.

Everything else seems to work really well, but the resolution is out of whack. :cry:

I've tried the Setup > xorg video wizard, but no matter what I choose, I end up wit the same thing.

bones01
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Precise 5.4 working fine, one exception

#205 Post by BarryK »

mikeslr wrote:The one exception is that I run gimp and expected to be able to use the gimp-2.8.-precise.sfs. When it would not start from the menu, I attempted to start it from the terminal. That reported that it was aborted because of a dbus problem: malformed or misplaced --sorry I don't recall exactly. I don't recall experiencing that in prior versions of precise. 5.4, however, was able to run gimp-2.7.2.sfs. Not sure where I got that from.
It works for me. See my blog post:
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00005
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

OscarTalks

#206 Post by OscarTalks »

Regarding BarryK's release notes for Retro-Precise Puppy

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... README.htm

A few days ago I acquired a Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop which has a Pentium-M processor in it. That one seems to be PAE-capable (maybe some are and some aren't?). Vintage is around 1994.

Standard PAE Precise Puppy 5.4 Live CD boots and runs OK.
Oscar in England

FeodorF

Re: Precise 5.4 working fine, one exception

#207 Post by FeodorF »

BarryK wrote:
mikeslr wrote:The one exception is that I run gimp and expected to be able to use the gimp-2.8.-precise.sfs. When it would not start from the menu, I attempted to start it from the terminal. That reported that it was aborted because of a dbus problem: malformed or misplaced --sorry I don't recall exactly. I don't recall experiencing that in prior versions of precise. 5.4, however, was able to run gimp-2.7.2.sfs. Not sure where I got that from.
It works for me. See my blog post:
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00005
It works for me too, as I reported on Barry's blog - but I'm getting a black screen regardless of doing a 'Reboot computer' or 'Power-off computer'.
I'll have to 'boot' a second time to get the proper screen. (Ref. Pentium III)

Can some of you try to install gimp on a Pentium M and above CPU for verification of this phenomena. (I just tested a SIS board with AMD Athlon 3000; no black screen after reboot with this one. I have noticed that this CPU runs with the PAT-flag enabled.)

Thanks to you, Feodor
------------------------------
O.k., I made some screen shots about the problem. This should provide some clues.

Hm, it makes no difference which sfs file I'm going to load - I always end up with a black screen after reboot.

Just looked at xerrs.log:

** (ROX-Filer:8444): WARNING **: Existing ROX-Filer process is not responding! Try with -n
/usr/bin/jwm

** (ROX-Filer:9944): WARNING **: Existing ROX-Filer process is not responding! Try with -n

EXIT="Exit on timeout"
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory (This line came up later)
Attachments
HowToPostOnABlackScreen.png
(81.21 KiB) Downloaded 792 times
process-3-.png
(60.38 KiB) Downloaded 1487 times
process-2-.png
(71.48 KiB) Downloaded 1778 times
process-1-.png
(48.43 KiB) Downloaded 1463 times
Last edited by FeodorF on Mon 05 Nov 2012, 23:39, edited 6 times in total.

julakali

Re: Puppy-Universal-Installer crashes

#208 Post by julakali »

This is an answer to a bug posted on Page 4 of this Thread...
boon wrote:Hi, I already posted this in the beginners section.

I got following problem. Trying to do a full install of Precise on my hard drive, Puppy-Universal-Installer crashes after selecting the partition to install to. When I start puppyinstaller from console, I get:
** (gtkdialog4:4524): ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 5, near token '</label>': syntax error

Any idea what is going on?
Thank you for the great work, boon
There seems to be an error, which is actually in line ~750 of /usr/sbin/puppyinstaller.
The error is in the line that contains the label "You have choosen to install Puppy to partition [...]".
I just removed that label from the script to continue...

edit: happens with german language pack

don570

Wacom Bamboo tablet

#209 Post by don570 »

I tested my wacom driver with the Wacom Bamboo tablet
and it worked in Precise 5.4

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 953#647953

Snail

SFS

#210 Post by Snail »

Testing Precise 540.

There are very few sfs files in the Precise repo. Coming from Lucid 529, I tried loading LibreOfc-3.3.1_en_US_sfs4.sfs from that distro, using SFS-Load-on-the-fly. The SFS loaded and updated the menu correctly and then offered the option of starting a program immediately. I selected Impress, which sent the system into a HDD-thrashing loop and froze the system. I had to power-off to recover. On rebooting, impress seems to work just fine.

skype_static-2.1.0.81.sfs, which I got from the forum Lucid 529 thread seems to work well.

I tried loading skype-4_sfs4.sfs, which I got from, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 706#642706, thanks to 666philb. It also works, but the sound quality seems to be quite a bit worse. This is based on very limiited testing, as I am off to Jakarta shortly.

Can any existing sfs files which are known to work on 5.4 be referenced from the Precise repo? This would save people an awful lot of searching.

So far precise seems to be working without major issues on my Compaq C700 and Thinkpad TF400 laptops, using USB's prepared using BootFlash installer. On my Compaq desktop, both manual frugal and USB flash work fine.

Desktop details below:
-Computer-
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Memory : 1025MB (176MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Sun 04 Nov 2012 17:42:08 NZDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945G x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Audio Adapter : USB-Audio - USB 2.0 Camera
-Input Devices-
LiteON HP Basic USB Keyboard
Logitech USB Optical Mouse
Power Button
Power Button
HP WMI hotkeys
PC Speaker
HDA Digital PCBeep
USB 2.0 Camera
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21L
ATA ST3808110AS

gerry

#211 Post by gerry »

This is not really a bug, just something different from previous puppies. My printer is a Canon i965 connected to an XP computer, which always gives me some fun and games to get working. I've got a Canon driver for it, which has been installed on Puppies ever since cups came as a dotpup. And it has always worked. This time.... a filter named pstocanonbj crashes with error 22, "incorrect argument".

I really can't see any prospect of finding what that is- so I'm afraid Precise Puppy is not for me. Pity really- apart from that it is superb. Running frugal on Thinkpad T60p, it automatically gets the right wifi setup and ATI Radeon video driver. Boohoo!

(Also, I found that Gutenprint has, at last, a driver for my printer. B/W ok, colour screwed up.)

rcrsn51

#212 Post by rcrsn51 »

gerry wrote:I've got a Canon driver for it, which has been installed on Puppies ever since cups came as a dotpup. And it has always worked. This time.... a filter named pstocanonbj crashes with error 22, "incorrect argument".
I'm not surprised. The Linux printing system has changed considerably since that driver was created.

Is the file "pstocanonbj" a script or a binary? ie. can you open it in a text editor?

BTW, I found a link where someone got this printer working as a Gutenprint ip8500.

[Edit] Precise has Gutenprint 5.2.8pre1, which only lists an i960. However Slacko 5.4 [beta2] has Gutenprint 5.2.9, which also lists an i965.

Try your printer in the new Slacko. If it works there, you could look at upgrading Gutenprint in Precise.

gerry

#213 Post by gerry »

@rcrsn51- yes, I have used BJC8500, but black comes out dark grey rather than black.

EDIT: pstocanonbj is a binary.

EDIT: saves ink, I 'spose.

puppyluvr

#214 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
ERROR **: gtkdialog: Error in line 5, near token '</label>': syntax error
I`ve gotten this with the precise woofs I`ve been building, regarding networking, and think it is gtkdialog related, rather than an error in the executing script... The same scripts run fine in other pups.. Tried relinking gtkdialog to 3/2/etc to no avail..
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Saving to SDcard

#215 Post by BarryK »

mavrothal wrote:
bigpup wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Before we get to an all out relegion, freedom of speech/choice etc debate :roll: ...
Did anyone tried to boot from an SDcard and then save to the entire SDcard partition?
I can see the files there after reboot but puppy keeps booting to pupmode 5, as for the first time.
It would appear that the issue is with the rc.shutdown but before I start digging would be good to know if is not something specific to my card/hardware.
Besides is getting late tonight
Did you format the SDcard in a Linux format?
I think that is required when saving to entire partition.
Yes of course!
I did try another card and is the same thing. So is not the card
Actually one card had Luci saved to the entire partition before and still failed with precise (and yes I also removed the whiteouts). Putted back Luci and works fine.
Saving to a file in Precise-5.4 on the same SDcards, works fine.
So looks like a bug.

Luci was the last puppy I installed saving to an entire SDcard partition and since then many things changed in puppy's init/rc.sysinit/rc.shutdown that could cause this
So again,
Did anybody booted Precise (or any recent woof-based puppy) from an (ext2/3/4 formatted) SDcard and saved to the entire SDcard partition succesfully?
Thx

Latter: This IS a bug! I replaced the precise initrd/init with the one from Lucid 5.1 (last entry: "#100520 pkeys boot param wasn't working for 'uk', 'dvorak'."). Sure enough the saved partitione was recognized the layered file system set and everything was OK.!!!
Putting back the original precise initrd/init in the already set and working (with the luci init) system, fails again and boots to pupmode 5.
From the little that I checked with the failing init the SDcard partitions are detected and logged OK in initrd, so it probably has to do with the logic of determining that the entire mmcblk[0-9]p[0-9], sd[a-z][1-9] is used.
Unfortunately there is a 1700 lines of code difference between the two init files and a massive "find files" rewrite. So I guess is up to Barry.

Latter Later: Turns out that precise also fails to find the files when saving to an entire USB stick partition, not just an SDcard.!

Com'n guys and gals ... Did anybody booted Precise (or any recent woof-based puppy) from an (ext2/3/4 formatted) SDcard or USB stick and "saved to the entire partition" succesfully? ie on reboot the and saved data was recognized and used by puppy.
Fixed, see:
http://bkhome.org/blog2/?viewDetailed=00006
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]