Java won't work with AMD K6-2 machine

Using applications, configuring, problems
Dewbie

#1 Post by Dewbie »

I initially thought this was a Java-dependent dialup software problem, but further testing confirms that Java itself is the problem.

If Java is enabled in browser and I check about:plugins, Java is there.

However, if I go to Menu / System / Java Control Center, the desktop won't launch, and an error report is generated. Same applies when I attempt to launch Juno desktop.
(Please see attached.)

This only affects my AMD K6-2 machine with Acer v70ma motherboard.
There are no such problems with my Pentiums (2 and 4).

Juno dial-up software is here.
(Scroll down to my first post for updated link.)

Thanks.
Attachments
JavaControlPanel-error-log.tar.gz
Java error report
(3.01 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
Juno-Java-error-log.tar.gz
Juno error report
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 753 times
Last edited by Dewbie on Mon 04 Mar 2013, 10:22, edited 4 times in total.

Monsie

#2 Post by Monsie »

Hi Dewbie,

I had a look at your log files.
The problem seems to be with your version of Java here:
Internal Error (assembler_x86.cpp:1071), pid=16935, tid=3075304304
guarantee(VM_Version::supports_cmov()) failed: illegal instruction
My understanding is that your cpu does not support the conditional move instruction set (cmov). This instruction set is handled by the 6th generation of cpu or 686 architecture (example: Pentium 3). This situation is compounded by the fact that many of the Java downloads are labeled as 586 so one would think that these versions of Java are compatible with older systems, but this is not always the case. I also looked at OpenJDK, but it (version 1.6) seems to coded for i686 only.

Somewhere on a bulletin board site, I read that the earliest versions of Java 1.6 are compatible with the 586 class of cpu. So, try to find an earlier version of Java and test those, or possibly TheAsterisk could try to compile an old version for you.

Beyond that, I don't know whether one could custom compile a fairly current version of Java for older systems. It seems to me that one would have to strip all references to cmov in the bytecode and use an older JIT compiler to complete the process.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Dewbie

#3 Post by Dewbie »

Thanks, Monsie...that's exactly what I needed! :)
Found a Java .pet here (early 2010) that not only works with K6-2, but also with 2.14x / 4.x / Wary.

Monsie wrote:
I don't know whether one could custom compile a fairly current version of Java for older systems. It seems to me that one would have to strip all references to cmov in the bytecode and use an older JIT compiler to complete the process.

For now, the only apparent solution is finding the latest version that still works.
Last edited by Dewbie on Sat 20 Oct 2012, 10:17, edited 4 times in total.

Monsie

#4 Post by Monsie »

Dewbie,

I found Java runtime version 1.6-17 in sfs4 package over here so it will work with Puppy 4.3.1 and Wary Puppy... If you are running either a frugal installation, or pupmode 13 then it should be a breeze to set up.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Dewbie

#5 Post by Dewbie »

Thanks, Monsie. :)
The 1.6-18 Java .pet I linked to above is slightly newer.
Upon installation, it indicates that there is a desktop menu entry.
But it's nowhere to be found.
So I made one.
Be sure to install Java first, before the menu entry.
Attachments
java-control-desktop-6u18.pet
Java 6u18 desktop menu entry
(7.36 KiB) Downloaded 685 times

Dewbie

#6 Post by Dewbie »

For now, the only apparent solution is finding the latest version that still works.
-----> jre6u22