01micko

Re: Chromium 49.0.2623.112 Pepperflash 21.0.0.213

#241 Post by 01micko »

peebee wrote:Chromium update to 49.0.2623.112
Pepperflash update to 21.0.0.213

- see above

---------

Slight OT.

I always have trouble with download breakage using sourceforge through a browser.

The link to the 64 bit version is https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... s/download which works fine in a browser and I believe there is a oneliner that curl can handle too, but I do it differently.

You can use this to grab it with wget. (same applies to any sourceforge link - like many of the petbuilds.)

Code: Select all

CHR_URL=`curl  https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/Other/chromium64/chromium64_49.0.2623.112%2Bpepper_21.0.0.213_lx.sfs/download|grep -o 'http.*'|sed 's/\?.*//'`

wget -c $CHR_URL
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

chromium_50.0.2661.94+pepper_21.0.0.213 / 242

#242 Post by peebee »

UPDATED 13-may-2016

THIS VERSION WILL ONLY WORK ON "MODERN" PUPPIES - e.g. LxPup, LxPupTahr, Slacko6, TahrPup6, X-tahr, X-Slacko
and then only on versions with kernels newer than 3.14 unless you apply the patch here which does affect sandboxing

32bit sfs:
chromium_50.0.2661.94+pepper_21.0.0.213_lx.sfs
n.b. 21.0.0.213 is the last version of 32-bit Pepperflash as Google and Adobe are no long supporting 32-bit systems

64bit sfs:
chromium64_50.0.2661.94+pepper_21.0.0.242_lx.sfs

Some older .pet versions are available or use the converter.

Caveats and constraints as detailed above

If you need a .pet instead of a .sfs or you want the 64-bit .sfs to run on tahrpup64 then use this converter.

To use services, such as Netflix, with protected content, you probably need to add the widevine plugin to Chromium (see testing thread). Links to the versions compatible with the above versions of Chromium are below. Just download the .txz file and then click on the downloaded file to install it.

32-bit widevine plugin
64-bit widevine plugin
Last edited by peebee on Sat 28 May 2016, 08:48, edited 4 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

01micko

#243 Post by 01micko »

Thanks again Peter. My little curl/wget routine worked a treat. :)

Working great.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

peebee

chromium_50.0.2661.94+pepper_21.0.0.213 / 242

#244 Post by peebee »

13-may-2016

Update to chromium_50.0.2661.94+pepper_21.0.0.213 / 242
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

tano70

#245 Post by tano70 »

version .242 for 32 bit please? i use LxPuppy

gcmartin

#246 Post by gcmartin »

Hello @Tano70. Correct me if I'm wrong: Didn't Google make an announcement about 32bit and future Chromes?

Hope that helps

peebee

#247 Post by peebee »

tano70 wrote:version .242 for 32 bit please? i use LxPuppy
Sorry - no can do - Google and Adobe have stopped updating the 32-bit Pepperflash player so 213 will be the last 32-bit version. :( :?

Options you have are - keep using 213, change to 64-bit, install the older Flashplayer......

sszindian

#248 Post by sszindian »

Chromium 50.0.266.94 (64 bit) giving problems in LxPup64-15.05.01

I use this pup on a regular basis and have it finely tuned for my particular needs. I have always took the new Chromium browsers as you made them available (thanks for that!) however, after installing the 50.0.366.94 the first thing later that evening was to watch the primaries on CNN live-stream.

Upon connecting to CNN site, I was greeted with a white-screen and a 'voice' telling me not to shut down the computer the normal way or my HDD would be destroyed and to immediately get my computer to a service center because it was now infected with the 'zesus virus'. Of course I immediately hit the off-switch and did a dead shutdown. I watched the primary with a different puppy and browser (on CNN with no problem.) If I were using Windows it might have been serious?

I used Chromium 50.0.266.94 (64 bit) on LxPup64 since then and everything seemed to be OK except it was a little slow responding to certain sites. Today it refused to load the main search-engine (Google) screen.

I switched back to Chromium 50.0.266.75 (64 bit) and all appears to be OK and working well now.

Just thought I'd pass this on to you in case problems develop for others somewhere!

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

peebee

chromium_50.0.2661.102+pepper_21.0.0.213 / 242

#249 Post by peebee »

THIS VERSION WILL ONLY WORK ON "MODERN" PUPPIES - e.g. LxPup, LxPupTahr, Slacko6, TahrPup6, X-tahr, X-Slacko
and then only on versions with kernels newer than 3.14 unless you apply the patch here which does affect sandboxing

32bit sfs:
chromium_50.0.2661.102+pepper_21.0.0.213_lx.sfs
n.b. 21.0.0.213 is the last version of 32-bit Pepperflash as Google and Adobe are no long supporting 32-bit systems

64bit sfs:
chromium64_50.0.2661.102+pepper_21.0.0.242_lx.sfs

Some older .pet versions are available or use the converter.

If you need a .pet instead of a .sfs or you want the 64-bit .sfs to run on tahrpup64 then use this converter.

To use services, such as Netflix, with protected content, you probably need to add the widevine plugin to Chromium (see testing thread). Links to the versions compatible with the above versions of Chromium are below. Just download the .txz file and then click on the downloaded file to install it.

32-bit widevine plugin
64-bit widevine plugin

peebee

chromium_51.0.2704.103+pepper_21.0.0.213/22.0.0.192(64bit)

#250 Post by peebee »

Updated 18-jun-2016

Courtesy of AlienBob

32bit sfs:
chromium_51.0.2704.103+pepper_21.0.0.213_lx.sfs

64bit sfs:
chromium64_51.0.2704.103+pepper_22.0.0.192_lx.sfs

older .pet versions are available or use the converter.

32-bit widevine plugin
64-bit widevine plugin
Attachments
version.png
(117.24 KiB) Downloaded 1717 times
Last edited by peebee on Sat 18 Jun 2016, 16:38, edited 9 times in total.

TwoPuppies

#251 Post by TwoPuppies »

Is there any version of Chromium or Google Chrome with pepper-flash installed that is compatible with lupu-5.2.8.7?
[color=#006699]What you really need is two puppies:
Puppy Linux, and the sort with four legs and a tail.[/color]

peebee

#252 Post by peebee »

TwoPuppies wrote:Is there any version of Chromium or Google Chrome with pepper-flash installed that is compatible with lupu-5.2.8.7?
An old version may work - no guarantees....

Oldest with pepperflash is chromium-34
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... s/download

Mike Walsh

#253 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, TwoPuppies.

I've been having a play around with this, trying to get something to work for you. I d/l'd Lupu-5.2.8.7 to my 'test' USB, and had a go at installing Chromium 36.0.1985.143; it's one I use quite a bit in Precise 5.7.1, despite being horrendously out of date, simply because it doesn't have all the heavy-duty 'sandboxing' that's now become the norm for Chromium-based browsers.....and it's still quite snappy.

For some reason, it won't load as an SFS, so I converted it to a .pet.....which installed without issue.

Starting from the terminal brings up a list of dependencies, most of which will transfer over from Precise. Unfortunately, one of the requirements is a newer version of the 'glibc'; when you try to install this in Lupu, it seems to overwrite the existing, older glibc, and the system completely grinds to a halt.

However, there are alternatives, if you don't mind a Chromium-based browser, rather than Chromium itself. I'm going to investigate SlimJet for you; I'd recommend this to anybody, as I use it myself in all my Pups.

Give me a while, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Mike. :wink:

peebee

#254 Post by peebee »

Mike Walsh wrote:For some reason, it won't load as an SFS, so I converted it to a .pet.....which installed without issue.
Hi Mike

That will probably be because the sfs will be xz compressed and lupu is too old to understand xz compression.....

Mike Walsh

#255 Post by Mike Walsh »

peebee wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:For some reason, it won't load as an SFS, so I converted it to a .pet.....which installed without issue.
Hi Mike

That will probably be because the sfs will be xz compressed and lupu is too old to understand xz compression.....
Ah! That would explain it. Thanks for clearing that up...

TwoPuppies

#256 Post by TwoPuppies »

Mike Walsh wrote:However, there are alternatives, if you don't mind a Chromium-based browser, rather than Chromium itself. I'm going to investigate SlimJet for you; I'd recommend this to anybody, as I use it myself in all my Pups.

Give me a while, and I'll see what I can come up with.
Thanks Mike.

I don’t really mind what it is, just as long as it works.

Since my last post I have had some success with:
google-chrome-26.0.1410.63.pet
plus...
libgconf2-4_3.1.6.pet
then...
updating the PepperFlash files using your excellent method.

Testing the result with
http://www.adobe.com/uk/software/flash/about/
as you recommended, reports that the files have been updated, but if I then go to a webpage that demands a fairly up-to-date version of PepperFlash (such as ABC iview here in Australia), it insists that the plugin is either obsolete or missing. Very strange. Fortunately the workaround for that is to use OneDrive’s script from your thread here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 877#867877. This not only fixes the information in the Google-Chrome plugins manager, but also seems to allow websites to recognise that the PepperFlash files have been updated. Not sure what's going on there.

I have also had success with a much later 64 bit version in Slacko64_6.3.0
(tried Tahr64_6.0.5 but it lacked a compatible WiFi driver for my hardware).

We all appreciate the great work you have been doing with PepperFlash.

Mike Walsh

#257 Post by Mike Walsh »

Morning, TwoPuppies.

Gosh. Thanks for the vote of appreciation! I had no idea the PepperFlash stuff was being quite that well received..... :lol:

Just out of curiosity, are you still doing this by the old method:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101275

.....or have you discovered the 'click-to-install' .pets I've made up?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 288#898288

TBH, the entire reason I made these up was all tied in with what you're discovering about Lucid. There are a lot of people out there, who, like me, are still running perfectly functional, older 32-bit hardware. Which of necessity means that just sometimes, depending on the age of the hardware, it won't run the newest OSes (even with Puppy), so it's a case of using older versions.

Which often means an older 'C' library (the glibc).

Which in turn means the newer versions of the popular browsers won't run (and Chromium-based browsers are a pain in the **** in this respect). So you have to use older versions of these.

I can't do anything about the way they're actually put together (coded, etc).....but I can try to do something with PepperFlash, at least (which, considering how large an attack vector 'Flash' has always been, does attempt to make things a wee bit more secure). And even with elderly browsers, a lot depends on your personal browsing habits; you keep away from the 'dodgy' sites, you're relatively safe even with an old browser.....

Re; OverDrive's method; yes, it's very useful.....because quite a number of sites seem to get their Flash info from the plug-in manager ( and that gets its info from the 'wrapper-script', of course). So if it's not up-to-date, then you gotta do that yourself. And it's only a case of changing a few numbers with Geany, and remembering to hit the 'Save' button when you're done..! It probably takes longer to locate the script than it does to modify it..... :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm running Slacko64 630 myself. Not using Chromium, but I am running the newest versions of Chrome & SlimJet. In both cases, I just d/l'ed from the appropriate sites, then modified the tail end of the wrapper-script by substituting the last few lines of that script from OscarTalk's final 32-bit version of Chrome in his repo (version 48 ). It works very well, because it fixes the 'Chrome cannot run as root' problem we tend to get with Puppy.....and that, of course, is all tied in with the 'out-of-process' sand-boxing model that Chrome now employs.

BTW; nearly forgot. The current version of SlimJet is 10.0.5.0 (based on Chromium 50 or 51, I forget which). I tried Lucid with version 7.0.3.0 from a while back (which I think was based on 43? 45?), and again the problem is the 'C' library, I'm afraid. And you can't update that with out re-compiling most of the components in Lucid itself; quite a major undertaking, I suspect. So about all you can do with it in Lucid is to use as new a version as possible, keep Pepper up-to-date ( or Linux Flash in the older ones; Geoffrey's auto-updater works brilliantly for this).....and watch your browsing habits.

I keep wondering whether it wouldn't be possible to set up a self-contained newer version of the glibc for use in older Pups, simply so they can run a more up-to-date Chromium-based browser. It needs a few more items, but most of those can be pillaged from other Pup's libraries. 'Twill take some investigation, methinks.

Sorry I haven't got any better news for you than that....

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 16:13, edited 2 times in total.

TwoPuppies

#258 Post by TwoPuppies »

Hi Mike.

Thanks for the time and effort you have spent to looking into this for me. And don't worry about the lack of results. I'm actually quite satisfied with the setup I reported in my previous post. It's providing full functionality for both lupu-5.2.8.7 (32 bit) and Slacko64_6.3.0 (64 bit).
Mike Walsh wrote:Just out of curiosity, are you still doing this by the old method:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=101275

.....or have you discovered the 'click-to-install' .pets I've made up?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 288#898288
I tried both methods. I spent quite a bit of time over the past couple of days trying to get this sorted, and in the process moved back and forth several times between your "old", manual method and the PET packages. Initially I had no success with either method. I would install or update PepperFlash (using one method or the other; it made no difference), restart the Browser, go to ABC iview (there was a particular TV program that I had missed), and it would complain the I needed to have FlashPlayer installed. Nothing I did seemed to work. The breakthrough came when I discovered by chance that OverDrive's script not only updated the information on the Plugins page but, more importantly, got the updated PepperFlash files working.

It might actually be worth mentioning this on your PepperFlash threads, just in case there are others floundering along the same path that I followed. It is reasonable to assume that just updating the PepperFlash files and restarting the Browser should make everything work, but this seems not always to be the case.
Last edited by TwoPuppies on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 13:14, edited 2 times in total.

TwoPuppies

#259 Post by TwoPuppies »

peebee wrote:Oldest with pepperflash is chromium-34
https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/ ... s/download
Thanks for the information. Although I have now discovered that PepperFlash is also in google-chrome-26.0.1410.63.pet. No idea where I got this PET from. I've had it for ages.
peebee also wrote:That will probably be because the sfs will be xz compressed and lupu is too old to understand xz compression.....
lupu-5.2.8.7 has been very substantially upgraded since Lucid-528.005, with added or enhanced support for many formats that were introduced after the earlier Lucid series, including xz compression.

Mike Walsh

#260 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, TwoPuppies.

Curious. I've only ever had success with updating PepperFlash. You do realise that once you've changed it, you need to shut the browser down, and then re-start, before Chrome/Chromium/whatever can actually use the new files, yes?

(Don't want to sound like I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but you'd be amazed at the number of people who seem to be unaware of a simple step like this..!) :lol: :roll:

EDIT: Sorry, just now read the above post.....yes, you are aware of that step!

Talking of Chrome 26; hmmm. You wouldn't consider sharing the .pet, would you? I wouldn't mind giving it a test run on my own 14-yr old Dell Inspiron, actually; more so if it uses PepperFlash. It should be updateable, if that's the case...

It'll give me a chance to try out Lucid myself on the old girl. I've got a 'half-set up' Lucid already on a multi-Pup flash drive I use for 'test runs'; if I can get a version of Chrome working on it, it'll almost be a viable Pup for the Inspiron's hardware. (That'll be in addition to Precise 5.7.1, and rg66's X-Slacko 2.3.2, which are on there already.....) :)

If you wouldn't mind doing that, this would be the best way to do it. Bill (rcrsn51) uses DataFileHost quite a bit if he's sharing out utilities for test purposes. Simply upload, note (or 'copy') the URL link you'll be given, and let me have the link. Then you can delete it. Simple as that. It's very useful for short-term 'sharing'. PM me the link if you'd rather.....it's entirely up to you.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 16:15, edited 2 times in total.