pAVrecord Video/webcam recorder (mpeg4, Theora, x264)

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
Pelo

We run included apps to keep speedy our puppy

#91 Post by Pelo »

We run included apps to keep speedy our puppy. Try what is offered before searching elsewhere. The only missing tool in pAVrecord was to draw the zone to screencast with your mouse, as xVidcap.
I agree that Slacko can now include SSR in its menu. SSR works perfectly

Pelo

Newest versions of pAVrecord have been improved.

#92 Post by Pelo »

Sailor Enceladus wrote:
mcewanw wrote:But I don't understand why you are still using pAVrecord when weX will work fine in XenialPup or XenialDog (and recent FatDog) for screencasts and with area/window selection, follow mouse capability all with SSR quality.
Robert123 wrote:Why run out of old ones from Noah's Ark - filling old threads with useless rantings.
Slacko comes with pavRecord, even the newest Slacko 6.9.5.
Newest versions of pAVrecord have been improved. Does this one fit your needs ?

mcewanw

Much improved X11 record quality addon attached

#93 Post by mcewanw »

@Pelo (or anyone really...):

If you are using a newish Puppy (which may have a newer ffmpeg installed) you could try out the following 'hijack plugin' for X11screencast. If it works for your system ffmpeg then you will get far better X11 screencast video quality. Just remove the dummy tar and put the attached file in your /root/.pavrecord folder. Then start pavrecord and try making a screencast. Let me know if it worked for you...

EDIT: If the ffmpeg on your system won't work with X11GRAB.hijack.tar, it may means it is an older ffmpeg which doesn't understand the -thread_queue_size option in there. If so, try the alternative X11GRAB.hijack.olderffmpeg.tar instead, which I have also now uploaded to this post. Note you must place this in /root/.pavrecord AND remove the dummy .olderffmpeg.tar end part of the name (the filename should always end up as X11GRAB.hijack for it to be recognised by pavrecord.

pAVrecord will then recognise the file and use the command inside it instead of that inside its own internal code for screencast encoding. If it works on your system it will give same screencast encoding quality as SSR, though you would be advised to later use the newer weX program instead since that also includes mouse selection of capture area or window, plus the option to embed webcam video in your screencast.

William
Attachments
X11GRAB.hijack.olderffmpeg.tar
For older ffmpeg use: just remove the dummy .olderffmpeg.tar
(364 Bytes) Downloaded 232 times
X11GRAB.hijack.tar
Just remove dummy .tar and put file in /root/.pavrecord
(386 Bytes) Downloaded 221 times
Last edited by mcewanw on Thu 01 Sep 2016, 23:00, edited 3 times in total.
github mcewanw

Pelo

Bookmarked.

#94 Post by Pelo »

Bookmarked.

Aparte :
Puprescue Puppy (Lucid) tries to repair my Pendrive, right now.
This morning my video about Ptheme was good quality (technically),

mcewanw

improving X11 screencast encoding quality in pavrecord

#95 Post by mcewanw »

I've uploaded a second possible X11GRAB.hijack, to my post immediately above, should you find the first one doesn't work with the ffmpeg on your system.

This alternative, X11GRAB.hijack.olderffmpeg.tar, is for systems with older ffmpeg. For such older systems you again need to place this in /root/.pavrecord and remove the dummy .olderffmpeg.tar from the filename such that it is named only X11GRAB.hijack.

pAVrecord will then recognise the file and use the command inside it instead of that inside its own internal code for screencast encoding. If it works on your system it will give same screencast encoding quality as SSR, though you would be advised to later use the newer weX program instead since that also includes mouse selection of capture area or window.

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

Test with Fluxbox 160 Oldyellers OldFFMPEG successfull

#96 Post by Pelo »

Test with Fluxbox 160 Oldyellers (Kernel 3.9.11) released july 2013.
OldFFMPEG successfull
This alternative, X11GRAB.hijack.olderffmpeg.tar, is for systems with older ffmpeg. For such older systems you again need to place this in /root/.pavrecord and remove the dummy .olderffmpeg.tar from the filename such that it is named only X11GRAB.hijack.
I will do a short video loaded Youtube. I will give you Link.
How to judge Quality ? I only make screencasts to remember process how to do some Linux settings. Generally quality is very high because pixels are not moving a lot on the screen.
it's a very long time to do. Not yet tested tools.

mcewanw

#97 Post by mcewanw »

Thanks for your report Pelo. Good to hear the addon worked with the ffmpeg on Fluxbox 160.

I feel that Puppy app development will cease or end up not being shared if sharing doesn't even result in any feedback. You are currently the only person giving any feedback of any sort, on any of my apps anyway, so much appreciated.

William
github mcewanw

greengeek

Re: Much improved X11 record quality addon attached

#98 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:... you could try out the following 'hijack plugin' for X11screencast. If it works for your system ffmpeg then you will get far better X11 screencast video quality.
Hi William - how do I use pavrecord for screencast? It seems to record only the webcam.
cheers

mcewanw

#99 Post by mcewanw »

First of all greengeek, I strongly suggest you try one of the addons to pavrecord I uploaded a few post above - you have to choose the one to suit your ffmpeg (if it works it works...). These addons should help give you good screencast quality (prior to them results weren't so good with pavrecord, but, if lucky, quality could prove to be very good now).

Then open config GUI of pavrecord and you simply need to fill in the SCREENCAST details starting with clicking checkbox 'select' (which means select screencast rather than video recording). Only real disadvantage of pavrecord for screencasting is that you can't select capture area with mouse, you have to enter the coordinates (X and Y offset from top left screen corner, and Width x Height manually). Try say, WxH = 1200 x 760 (or whatever your full screen resolution is) - best to make both W and H divisible by 16, but doesn't really matter. And Display 0.0: and Xoffset=0 and Yoffset=0. I'd go for mkv or avi container and maybe audio mp3 (whatever bitrate for that you want - or use default selection for that). The above 'hijack plugin addon' forces use of libx264, but that is normally the best choice anyway cos gives great quality (chosen to be same as Simple Screen Recorder default).

Then just press Record button and it should work... Good thing about pavrecord on older systems is that it has setting to allow you to adjust audio sync until the seconds delay suits your particular system.

Hope that helps,

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

pAVrecord version 0.9.0.6 is available in PPM

#100 Post by Pelo »

:!: pAVrecord version 0.9.0.6 is available in PPM
français, voir ici.
About no return from people making videos screen casts, don't worry.
I hope our puppy users shall began to show how to do, better than writing it. It's so easier, even for foreigners, to understand with a video.
Many people write here to ask help to install their Puppy Linux. That is true that we don't know what they do with it later.
Non registered passengers, join us ! (no need to be a programmer, just be user !)
Of course devs can use pAVrecord too, always in their multimedia menu.
Argolance provides an improved version of drec for ToOpPy, his baby Puppy (Precise 5.7.1).
One tool is not better than another, they have differences that get them powerful for a situation, or for user knowledge
:!: Don't forget to toggle grab, as i did just now
Attachments
mandibule.jpg
PPM
(40.46 KiB) Downloaded 228 times

Pelo

mcewanw you should do a tutorial video

#101 Post by Pelo »

mcewanw you should do a tutorial video to show how-to-do, with pAVrecord of course :!:

Robert123

Re: mcewanw you should do a tutorial video

#102 Post by Robert123 »

Pelo wrote:mcewanw you should do a tutorial video to show how-to-do, with pAVrecord of course :!:

Or you could have politely asked:
Mcewanw would you mind doing a tutorial video to show how-to-do, with PAVrecord of course please.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Pelo

Robert123, you have been working together a long time

#103 Post by Pelo »

robert123, we have been working together a long time, Mcewanw and me, we know how to welcome each other. Isn'it Mcewanw ?
Version 9.0.6 is ok for you, robert123, or is there anything to improve ?
Explain it in French, here,... if you have some difficulties with English, as me !
Last edited by Pelo on Mon 05 Sep 2016, 06:29, edited 2 times in total.

greengeek

#104 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:First of all greengeek, I strongly suggest you try one of the addons to pavrecord I uploaded a few post above
Yep - did that. I downloaded the version for older ffmpeg.
Then open config GUI of pavrecord and you simply need to fill in the SCREENCAST details starting with clicking checkbox 'select' (which means select screencast rather than video recording).
This is where I am coming unstuck. I am not seeing a screencast option. Am I in the right config gui?:
Attachments
pav_gui.jpg
(122.6 KiB) Downloaded 174 times

mcewanw

#105 Post by mcewanw »

Hi greengeek,

That's a very old pavrecord. Seems I hadn't added screencast at that point. Simply remove your old /root/.pavrecord directory, then download pavrecord version 9.0.5 dotpet from the first post of this thread, and install it. Then also copy the new X11GRAB.hijack...file addon to /root/.pavrecord and all should be good...

EDIT: Oh, I see it did include screencast - you would have to activate the checkbox x11grab for that to work. However, it is an old pavrecord version - I doubt the new X11GRAB.hijack file will work with it since I don't think I had put in the extra code for addons at that stage. Please instead install version 9.0.5, which should be much better (especially with that addon).

William
github mcewanw

Pelo

thousands of people using editing tools like pAVrecord

#106 Post by Pelo »

About ScreenCast tools, excepted SSR, but only for Puppies Precise and later, people need tool easy to use. Lot of hand made apps exist, but one thing is not to forget, most of people don't speak english. Furthermore Linux or photography technical terms.
English speaking devs must be aware that behind s-kami, Nilson morales, MU there are thousands of people using Puppy and editing tools like pAVrecord. . It's nice. But devs must take that in account. A visual tool will be always better. And no need to translate the GUIs.
Attachments
Choice.jpg
You Tube Promote pAVrecord
(62.22 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Last edited by Pelo on Tue 06 Sep 2016, 01:43, edited 1 time in total.

mcewanw

#107 Post by mcewanw »

pAVrecord continues to work fine (particularly with the new X11GRAB.hijack plugins I've uploaded - good for older Puppies also with older ffmpeg) albeit it has the limitation you cannot select capture area with mouse. For that and same excellent quality and lots of flexibility (records audio alone, or video or screencast) remember to try weX, which is very full featured plus integrates well with many other puppy audio/video processing tools:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107905

As for the simplest screencast app going, which uses much the same basic ffmpeg commandline as weX (so equally good quality), which I recommended to its author, try this yad script by smokey01 - nothing to learn about it - just press record button to start, stop button to end. You really don't need QT and SSR for screencast in Puppy... :-)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 954#912954

But also see the multipurpose app called 'weav', which offers more simple, flexible but powerful screencast and general AV processing power in its simple interface than you may imagine. It is also a good learning tool (and my personal favourite creation). It works well with weX (which has a button to call it up). Download for weav same post as for weX.

Actually, I'd like to see/make a tiny Puppy-like Audio/Video distribution with tools like these at the centre. And like Slitaz using a modern html5-capable browser to handle multimedia playback (in Slitaz, they use neither VLC nor Mplayer, simply Midori and a home-brewed webkit app, which Slitaz uses as video player - very clever and resource friendly. Maybe we don't really NEED tiny OS distributions any more? But I love them.

William
github mcewanw

greengeek

#108 Post by greengeek »

mcewanw wrote:Hi greengeek,

That's a very old pavrecord. Seems I hadn't added screencast at that point. Simply remove your old /root/.pavrecord directory, then download pavrecord version 9.0.5 dotpet from the first post of this thread, and install it. Then also copy the new X11GRAB.hijack...file addon to /root/.pavrecord and all should be good...
Thanks - just downloaded the newer pavrecord and it is handy to be able to select the screencast option with a checkbox now.

Also tried the hijack file (older version) but it did not seem to change the quality of the recording. Pretty sure I followed your instructions correctly. At this stage it appears that the new pavrecord creates a larger file than SSR and has lower image quality. Trouble is a quick test is not really comparing apples with apples. I plan to do some more indepth testing and will report back if I can get some meaningful results to post.
cheers

(ps this is a Slacko 5.6 personal derivative so my results may not correlate with other puppy's results)

mcewanw

#109 Post by mcewanw »

Are you certain you have renamed the X11GRAB.hijack file? You had to copy it into /root/.pavrecord folder and remove the .olderffmpeg.tar part of the extension. It sounds like it is not being seen by the main pavrecord program - if it was, quality would be same as SSR since same ffmpeg command would be being used. Otherwise, I can only imagine the ffmpeg you have doesn't accept all the quality options, so you'd need newer ffmpeg. I presume you are using Slacko 5.6? I'll try downloading that myself later if you continue to get inferior results.

William

EDIT: Okay, I note you are using SLacko 5.6. I'll give it a try if you are sure the X11GRAB.hijack file was put in correct folder (without it, results would be poor and larger file).
github mcewanw

mcewanw

#110 Post by mcewanw »

I'll download Slacko 5.6 shortly greengeek. Don't know where to get an SSR dotpet for it though - maybe you could let me know? I'm sorry, I got a bit mixed up anyway - thought we were discussing weX compared to SSR, not pAVrecord, so not sure what pAVrecord results really likely to be especially if using older ffmpeg. SSR almost certainly comes with newer ffmpeg libs as part of the package so comparison is indeed like oranges to apples unless you install newer ffmpeg for pAVrecord to use (and in that case why not use the more advanced weX program anyway?...).

I know you don't want to have to upgrade the Slacko 5.6 supplied ffmpeg, but when you think about it, you are upgrading in the sense of installing SSR... You could instead try installing newer ffmpeg instead of new SSR along with most recent pAVrecord (or better, probably, weX).

It would be more useful for me if you could also let me know what your computer specs are (processor type and speed and RAM) since of course that effects results a lot. If SSR file is smaller could simply be that you are using a lower frame rate with SSR or it is dropping lots of frames in order to keep up. Try also reducing pAVrecord frame rate before recording, if not already low (say 10 fps). Most likely you just need to upgrade to recent ffmpeg since how can an old ffmpeg possibly compare with newer ffmpeg libs?

Anyway, let me know if you find out more. I'll make my own tests on my own machine using default Slacko 5.6 though there is probably a limit to what is worth testing (would like try SSR on Slacko 5.6 too of course to see if there is major difference on my machine prior to any ffmpeg tuning for pAVrecord).

EDIT: Whatever the end results, I'm very happy to get your report though greengeek. There is a limit to what I can test myself and its good to know what results are likely on perhaps older hardware with older ffmpeg. Thanks!

William
github mcewanw