How do I put Puppy on an Android Netbook?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
kooliepup

How do I put Puppy on an Android Netbook?

#1 Post by kooliepup »

My new Android netbook is only 5 hours old, and I thought I was going to like it. I hate it!
I WANT MY PUPPY!

How do I go about putting Puppy on one of these things.
I can't even get a term window up, so I can't do anything useful with it.

It's just an oversize mobile phone.
And I can't get the touch-screen to work.

michaellowe

#2 Post by michaellowe »

Hi KooliePup, there are many ways of going about it but it is not something for the light hearted and if you are a noob you could end up bricking your tablet, therefore proceed with caution unless experienced.
Personally I have found you need a lot of time to devote to such an endeavour, which I unfortunuately don't have much to spare. Hence no success yet in putting puppy on tablet. I too have a giant android phone which is really quite useless unless you have the patience to sit and wait for it to respond. I managed to get by with external keyboard and mouse hooked up to the OTG so didn't have to deal with the pathetic exuse for a touch screen at all for a little while, but it's still useless as the OS is android gingerbread the stupidist OS ever, probably even worse than dare I say, - Windoze, why? no flash support as in no adobe support and ridculously slow and no control whatsoever, very limited! I had another tablet shortly before my current one which I tried to root but I think I bricked it.

however just a few days ago I discovered this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80819

it shows you how to root your android device which is what you will have to do if you haven't done so already. again I have not had much success with it and I am currently awaiting a response from don570 on how to go about getting adb working. It might never work as in the problem is not puppy or adb but rather the cheap chinese tablet that may be unrootable?

once you manage to get your device rooted it's a case of formatting an SD card in Gparted and installing puppy to the SD card using the universal puppy installer

Just a few questions: does it have regular usb or micro usb ports?
Can you connect an external cdrom or dvdrom drive to it?
If you can get into the bios that would of course make things massively easier as you could gain control of the boot order and perhaps various other settings like for instance recognising ext. cdrom drive or the ability to boot from a usb stick, now that would solve all your problems and save many hours of your time if you find you are able to do these things on your netbook?

Will update you if I get the time but best of luck!
:wink:

kooliepup

#3 Post by kooliepup »

Hi michaellowe.
Thanks for your response.

I had seen that post you refer to, and was working up to trying it (rounding-up the necessary), when I discovered UniversalAndroot-1.6.2-beta5.apk somewhere, and tried that.
It is supposed to work on most devices, and if it doesn't it won't screwup anything, and can be uninstalled.
It didn't work on mine, which is a
10" LCD Android 2.2 VIA8650 CPU Wi-Fi UMPC Netbook w/ Camera/WiFi (ARM 349.79MHz/2GB/SD/LAN).
For $100 it was cheaper than a regular size phone.

It has 3 standard USB ports, and most likely would handle external CDrom, but I don't have one ATM.
I have external HDD 'tho.
I have been using an external mouse in an attempt to remain sane (relative term).

I havent found a way of getting into the BIOS yet.
It has no manual. Can't find one anywhere online.
I have told it to get rooted, but that didn't achieve the desired result.

If all else fails, I can use it as a wireless remote TV, or eBook reader or something.
It actually cost less than my eReader, and it plays video nicely. Great graphics capability for such a low powered device.

I had some spare time today, and decided to see if I could belt this thing into shape without changing the OS.
I got Opera installed, and deleted the 2 pathetic 'browsers' that came with it, found MidnightCommander, and that inspired me a bit more, and tried 2 latest Firefox but neither would install.

So far it has become a good Recipe Book, and I am now looking to see if I can turn it into a TV, and also get it to open PDFs and ODF docs.

I may just connect some cams to it and use it for security monitoring.

So many possibilities.

Having fun.
There's no place like 127.0.0.1