Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Dromeno

Pfind 5.11 screenshots

#751 Post by Dromeno »

rg66, no I mean the options in the screenshots below. pfindstart= startup menu, pfindaction= results menu. These do not appear in Carolina yet.

Especially the actions menu is very useful (allows for bulk operations such as copy on large amounts of files in different directories.)

screenshots were taken in Lucid Puppx 528005
Attachments
pfindaction.jpg
(160.21 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
pfindstart.jpg
(133.08 KiB) Downloaded 461 times

bark_bark_bark

#752 Post by bark_bark_bark »

rg66 wrote:
bark_bark_bark wrote:yes wireless worked in rc, but NOT rc3.
Strange, rc3 is based on rc so if it worked in rc it should work in rc3. Are you using a savefile from rc in rc3? Have you tried it in ram? Did you check that the rc3 md5sum is correct?
I had no rc save, so yes I ran in ram. I used rc iso and delta to convert rc to rc3 nonpae, so no need for md5sum.

dennis-slacko531

Where's Elroy?

#753 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

May I ask where's Elroy? No biggie,just wanted to say hi. I've been telling people everywhere I go about Carolina. You know, it's easy and fast to download... As I recall, Elroy is some kind of boss of a gambling club in Nevada? Well, again I'm just saying thanks and I dig it very much. Thanks dudes.

lvds

#754 Post by lvds »

Hi :-)

I've built the RC3 with the delta non-pae and boot is ok. I had a savefile inside the directory, hope it won't hurt, I didn't kow if start from fresh is recommended... Seems very good. Did you do something with the fonts ? no change for me. See upup-precise from pemasu, it has very few fonts compared to yours but they all display very fine and the right font in the right place.
Great work ! 8)

Sorry for edit: do you follow this thread about the xdg menus ? could useful and very good in Carolina ;-)

Dromeno

update pfilesearch needed for Carolina

#755 Post by Dromeno »

Zigbert replied (pm) to my question about pfind:

the problem is an outdated 'pfilesearch' which pFind depends on. Carolina 0.7rc has pfilesearch-1.28 while the latest is 1.34

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=191378

pchan

#756 Post by pchan »

Can somebody help me? I am really illiterate when it comes to linux.

I loved saluki and lalso lina lite 005. Now i want to try lina 007 but I have really no idea how to use what is called "delta" and create a non pae lina 007 iso file.

In lina lite 005, after installing freeoffice, I can load the program by going to the folder found in "Home\freeoffice\" but when i try to send a shortcut to the desktop, the shortcut doesn't work. So, whenever i want to use freeoffice i have to use the thunar file manager to start the program. I wonder if in the latest lina 007 , creating shortcuts by right clicking on the executable icon and sending a link for the executable file to the desktop works better. Although linux, especially puppy linux is great in many ways but it is hard to deny that some of the innovative features found in windows pc made it easy and intuitive for normal non technical users.

I have tried the lina 007 with pae but I find that the non pae works better on my netbook.

Thanks always to the developers. Thanks also to others who are knowledgeable about puppy linux for giving their feedback that will help to improve Carolina. Hopefully, my struggles as someone who is new to the world of linux will also help to make Carolina better.

rg66

#757 Post by rg66 »

pchan wrote:I loved saluki and also lina lite 005. Now i want to try lina 007 but I have really no idea how to use what is called "delta" and create a non pae lina 007 iso file.
there is an easy to follow tutorial on making an iso from a delta file here

If you don't have the 007rc iso yet you will need to download it and the 007rc to 007rc3-non-pae delta file.

007rc iso http://smokey01.com/carolina/isos/lina-007rc.iso md5 09ea8e858ef5137e6faef146d5f47f3f
007rc-non-pae delta file http://smokey01.com/carolina/isos/lina- ... .iso.delta md5 d37ccfc54e8e7842e9b21e6d0663c4de
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

pchan

#758 Post by pchan »

Hi rg66 ,

Thanks! Thanks!

I will try to do that. I am glad i picked up the courage to ask what i was worried might be an irritating question of the unlearned. The technical word "delta" actually made me feel a bit intimidated and i imagined that there is going to be a lot of deep reading on the linux system to do.

Thanks also to the carolina developers Geoffrey/(elroy) for making a simple to follow tutorial.

rg66

#759 Post by rg66 »

pchan wrote:Hi rg66 ,

Thanks! Thanks!.
No problem, I was also intimidated with Linux at first. Glad I could help.

Dromeno

Video equalizer

#760 Post by Dromeno »

whoopy: I installed smplayer 0.8.5 and v4l2ucp and the video equalizer in smplayer finally works :) Not yet in UMPlayer but it is a start.

still, I would like a gxine for Carolina. It is the lightest play-nearly-everything player and it is especially great for playing large mkv files on low end computers

Geoffrey

#761 Post by Geoffrey »

Carolina 007rc4 is released, for details see the first post
Attachments
carolina-007rc4.jpg
(34.11 KiB) Downloaded 580 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Geoffrey

Re: Video equalizer

#762 Post by Geoffrey »

Dromeno wrote:I would like a gxine for Carolina. It is the lightest play-nearly-everything player and it is especially great for playing large mkv files on low end computers
If you want something that play's just about everything, right click on the file and select " Open with Slimp Player " this is in 007rc3 and 007rc4.
Attachments
slimp.jpg
(13.63 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

irishrm

#763 Post by irishrm »

Installed 007rc4.
Very nice-would like to give some time trying it out.

However failed to install BC-wl driver using Peebee-rerwin's packages.
Says kernel not supported.

Hopefully they might take a look.
irishrm.

rg66

#764 Post by rg66 »

irishrm wrote:However failed to install BC-wl driver using Peebee-rerwin's packages.
Says kernel not supported.
Sounds like you installed the non-pae package. The one you need is broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.13-ski.pet. Broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.13-c.pet is for non-pae.

yr1945

#765 Post by yr1945 »

Geoffrey, very, very nice OS....

Thanks for your continued work on Carolina... and, of course, all the the support that you (and rg66) provide to us!!

Grub4Dos is not in the menu under System, but can be accessed in Control Panel... maybe that was by design.

Anyway, Keep up the fantastic work.

irishrm

#766 Post by irishrm »

rg66:

Thanks for your help.

I failed to get the wl driver working in the pae iso.

So I ended up downloading and installing the non-pae iso and thanks to your explanation I got the wl driver installed and working.

Posting from it now and looking forward to exploring.

irishrm.

trhmusician

Grub4dos installation problem...

#767 Post by trhmusician »

I've been using this version of Puppy Linux and I absolutely love it. I've been telling my friends and family about it. My stepmom wanted to start using it, so I sent her Lina 007rc2 in the mail.

Everything installed right, until she got to Grub4dos, where she got an error message that read: somewhat error occurred. Then it tells her there is a problem with the grub4dosconfig.log file.

I'm pretty new to Linux, and am not sure what this means, except that she can't install her bootloader to start Linux.

Does anyone know what this might mean, and how to fix it, so she can start using this version? Thank you so much, and keep up the excellent work!

TRHMUSICIAN

rg66

#768 Post by rg66 »

irishrm wrote:I failed to get the wl driver working in the pae iso.
You didn't say if it was indeed the wrong driver that was the problem at first, installing both may have corrupted something. I don't have a Broadcom wireless card to test on, can you try pae again on a fresh savefile and see if it works using the correct files?
yr1945 wrote:Grub4Dos is not in the menu under System, but can be accessed in Control Panel... maybe that was by design.
Yes, some rarely used entries have been moved to Control Panel to clean up the System menu.
trmusician wrote:Everything installed right, until she got to Grub4dos, where she got an error message that read: somewhat error occurred. Then it tells her there is a problem with the grub4dosconfig.log file.
I reinstalled grub4dos and everything worked as it should. I could not find a grub4dosconfig.log file anywhere on my system. Can you find out exactly what the error message was?

I've had some problems with puppy universal installer before. Now I make a folder on sda1 named carolina as an example, and copy the iso/cd contents there. Then, I run grub4dos and it seems to find everything ok.

rg66

#769 Post by rg66 »

Geoffrey and I are trying to sort out this Broadcom wifi issue. The problem is, we don't have a card to test with. We are looking for people with Broadcom wifi cards that don't work in Carolina to test a few pets to see if it will work.

Please read this post carefully and install the pets in the proper order.

To install the Broadcom WL driver onto Carolina:

1. install rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3f.pet

2. install the delta file

3. install the multi-kernel pet

4. reboot

For number 2.
Carolina uses the broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.13-ski.pet
Carolina non-pae uses the broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.13-c.pet

You must have or create a savefile for this.

Thanks to everyone who helps test this.

Sage

#770 Post by Sage »

Very, very nice, guys, but...
- usual silly nonsense with Adobe Flash. Couldn't get any recent version to work, but 10.3.183.18 , for which a .pet already exists, worked just fine; overwrote the existing, no need to unload it. Haven't run Opera yet, but that usually works with series 10 Flash.
Seem to remember being promised HTML5 by last November!

Later: Opera - yes, works with series 10 Flash.