Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tlchost

#76 Post by tlchost »

elroy wrote: You may need to do some research and find out which kernel module is needed for that particular intel device, and load it using Control Panel-->System-->Configure Kernel Modules. I believe it's i915, but you may want to research that further to be sure.
FWIW, In Slacko 533 the card is detected as hda-intel device 1e20 (rev04) and that's with alsa 1.0.24.2

most puppies detect that card correctly.

Thom

Geoffrey

Re: Easing the transistion to Carolina Puppy

#77 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:Geoffrey and elroy: I suggest making PupControl available for Carolina,
I use it all the time when I am tweaking my system. It gives me easy access to most
of the items I need without having to dig into the guts of Carolina.

For others who might not know about pupcontrol; take a look at what it can do:
|http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61961

I think that pupshutdown would also be a great asset for Carolina.
It would give the shutdown routine a very polished look.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56077

Pete
pete,

I had a look at pupcontrol and pupshutdown, I see radky has added xmenumaker as an option in lieu of menumaker, though the shutdown gui still isn't fully compatible, I wouldn't think it would be something that will be added to Carolina at this time, without full compatibility.

We are sorting out the problems with wireless firmware at the moment and should have a fix very soon, I've managed to to get b43 and rt2800 working as they are the only devices I have to test, I've passed on the information to elroy, he will be able to update you on any progress.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

peebee

Broadcom wl driver for Carolina

#78 Post by peebee »

I have uploaded the delta file to allow the Broadcom wl wifi driver to be installed onto Carolina here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 95&start=8

Note - like Saluki (but unlike most other puppies) Carolina does not have xdelta3 included. Can I request that this is made part of the base system otherwise delta files are not supported?

I also direct your attention to this blog post by BarryK regarding the future of driver support:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02995

I would recommend that you include both
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3f.pet and
broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.13-ski.pet

in your base system to allow the multi-kernel Broadcom wl driver pet to be easily installed for anybody wanting this driver.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Carolina testing

#79 Post by peebee »

Hi Both

Just a few comments from trying Carolina:

- the b43 firmware has definitely gone walk-about and is missing (I know you are on the case here)

- it's a big download (by Puppy standards) - but it is already modular with the a and z drives - have you thought of providing separate downloads for each module? I know this doesn't work for burning a cd but will many people be doing this during testing?? I never burn cd's - always do manual frugal installs from the iso to test.

- your bespoke update mechanism seems to be causing some problems - any reason why you can't use the tried and tested pet or delta file routes to provide updates (delta files would need xdelta3 included in the base system).

- I installed the kernel-source and devx sfs's onto a pfix=ram frugal install (no savefile) to compile and got 2 strange loop4 and loop5 devices on the desktop....

Keep up the good work ;-)
Cheers!
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

elroy

missing firmware

#80 Post by elroy »

Many of you have posted internet connectivity issues with Carolina. There is definitely some missing firmware. We hope to have addressed much of that by making the firmware available as a pet for now. It's located on the first post of this thread above the 'Patches' section. This firmware will be added to the next release, but this will allow some of you to sort out your connection issues at present.

When installing this pet, you will get file overwrite errors; ignore them, and choose to install anyway. The files that are overwritten are the firmware files already included with the beta release.

elroy

Re: Broadcom wl driver for Carolina

#81 Post by elroy »

peebee wrote:I have uploaded the delta file to allow the Broadcom wl wifi driver to be installed onto Carolina...Note - like Saluki (but unlike most other puppies) Carolina does not have xdelta3 included. Can I request that this is made part of the base system otherwise delta files are not supported?

I would recommend that you include both
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3f.pet and
broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.13-ski.pet

in your base system to allow the multi-kernel Broadcom wl driver pet to be easily installed for anybody wanting this driver.
Thanks, peebee. This will be added to the next release of Carolina.

elroy

Re: Carolina testing

#82 Post by elroy »

peebee wrote:- the b43 firmware has definitely gone walk-about and is missing (I know you are on the case here)
We just released a firmware.pet that does include this (although you’re right, it was missing at the time of your post). It’s on the first post of this thread near the “Patches

a0damasco

xarchiver

#83 Post by a0damasco »

Sorry for my English ... I'm using an online translator.
xarchiver not give me the option to enter the password to extract. Not if I'm doing something wrong.
I love Carolina. I want to contribute what I can.
A hug.

Saulo.

Minnesota

wireless

#84 Post by Minnesota »

elroy:

" Many of you have posted internet connectivity issues with Carolina. There is definitely some missing firmware. We hope to have addressed much of that by making the firmware available as a pet for now. It's located on the first post of this thread above the 'Patches' section. This firmware will be added to the next release, but this will allow some of you to sort out your connection issues at present."

Clean system, no hard drive hooked up, boot from CD, ran pet, now what? (verified check sum of CD yesterday)

Right click network icon on taskbar, started Frisbee, same blank screen. From Control panel tried network wizard. Same messages as before.

Forgot, even did a restart x.

I am happy to test.

Does anyone have success with wireless?

peebee

Re: wireless

#85 Post by peebee »

Minnesota wrote:Does anyone have success with wireless?
A pristine frugal install, install the firmware pet, reboot with savefile creation - b43 firmware found and b43 driver working correctly - wifi established thru Frisbee.

So the firmware pet works for me....

If you didn't create a savefile on reboot then the pet will not be loaded after reboot.

Cheers
peebee

pemasu

#86 Post by pemasu »

I downloaded the Carolina iso and I noticed that the /etc/modules/firmware.dep.3.2.13-ski file was missing in zdrv sfs. It is crucial file which steers the driver to find the corresponding firmware from the Puppy firmware location in /lib/modules/all-firmware/*

Also the b43 firmware folder content was empty, due to it has been replaced in Saluki to the /lib/firmware. It was because there was initial failure in one woof installed script. I suppose nowadays it can be as well in /lib/modules/all-firmware location.

Lets make a test. I created the firmware fix pet....which has that missing firmware.dep file and that missing b43 firmware content located to the /lib/modules/all-firmware.
Reboot is needed ( I suppose ) after installing this pet. Not sure if the firmware.dep file is absolutely correct, I copied it from dpup and just renamed it. But it gives you possibiity to test.

peebee

#87 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:Lets make a test.
Hi pemasu - tested - your pet works fine with my b43....
Cheers
peebee

Pete22

Internet connection working!

#88 Post by Pete22 »

WhooWho.....

I used the pet on page 1. I was able to get frisbee to scan and see my network.
I selected it, and it even said it connected, but would *not* assign an address.

Still I was very encouraged that we were on the right track.

I removed frisbee and used Network Wizard instead. It worked flawlessly.

Wonderful

Many thanks.

Pete

elroy

#89 Post by elroy »

pemasu wrote:I downloaded the Carolina iso and I noticed that the /etc/modules/firmware.dep.3.2.13-ski file was missing in zdrv sfs. It is crucial file which steers the driver to find the corresponding firmware from the Puppy firmware location in /lib/modules/all-firmware/* ...
Thank you for your efforts, pemasu! I've added the above missing file to the firmware.pet on the 1st post of this thread.

elroy

Re: Internet connection working!

#90 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:WhooWho.....

I used the pet on page 1. I was able to get frisbee to scan and see my network.
I selected it, and it even said it connected, but would *not* assign an address.

Still I was very encouraged that we were on the right track.

I removed frisbee and used Network Wizard instead. It worked flawlessly.

Wonderful

Many thanks.

Pete
Try re-downloading and re-installing the pet, Pete. I've since added the /etc/modules/firmware.dep.3.2.13-ski file from pemasu's pet to it. See if that does the trick.

Minnesota

wireless

#91 Post by Minnesota »

YES!
carolina-firmware-fix-0.0.1-pemasu.pet
seems to solve the issue, Frisbee now populated.

Normal network wizard also working, and populating.

Default of ext4 on and old stick caused weird reboot errors of the save file. Redid with ext2 and reboot went well.

By the way, first time you reboot, and save file does not exits, the procedure runs, I think creates the directory, but does not actually reboot. It took a second reboot command to cause the save file to be created and rebooted. This might be normal for this puppy? I usually do not create savefiles as I run off the CD.

pemasu

#92 Post by pemasu »

If the firmware.dep is not inside the iso, the live cd usage with firmware loading need will suffer. It will need the savefile creation which is not habit for those livecd users.

elroy

#93 Post by elroy »

pemasu wrote:If the firmware.dep is not inside the iso, the live cd usage with firmware loading need will suffer. It will need the savefile creation which is not habit for those livecd users.
It will be included in the next ISO. Thanks pemasu.

Pete22

Frisbee

#94 Post by Pete22 »

Frisbee connected very quickly. Very Good.

Thanks to all the Carolina folks, it worked!

Now I can check out some other stuff. :)

Pete

P.S. My sound is working fine.

GoneSouth

defaultspreadsheet bug

#95 Post by GoneSouth »

Hi Guys
The /usr/local/bin/defaultspreadsheet file links to sdcalc should be scalc

defaultwordprocessor has the same problem