Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Bligh

#526 Post by Bligh »

I downloaded and burned 004 on another computer and it seems to be working properly.
Cheers

Bligh

#527 Post by Bligh »

Can someone show me where to learn more about adrive and zdrive?
Cheers

smokey01

#528 Post by smokey01 »

Bligh wrote:Can someone show me where to learn more about adrive and zdrive?
Cheers
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SalukiTips?show_comments=1

Bligh

#529 Post by Bligh »

Thanks, I saved that page.
Cheers

mikeslr

How to Change Kernels with Custom Builder?

#530 Post by mikeslr »

Hi All,
Its not my intention to start a war over the PAE kernel issue. Perhaps, as gcmartin says, the hardware to support it has been around since 1997. But I have a Thinkpad T42 manufactured in 2004 which will not boot kernels that are PAE enabled. I doubt that earlier Thinkpads will, and Thinkpads were fairly popular in part because they were robustly made and so still may be around in large numbers. And if IBM wasn't producing Laptops which didn't need and could not use more than 3.5gbs of RAM, why would IBM's competors incur the expense? So I suspect that any owners of such Thinkpads, and perhaps comparable laptops, looking to replace ancient XP OSes with a state of the art OS will discover Puppies and be disappointed that they just won't run: worse, sufficiently turned off by having wasted time and effort to download and burn a disk to never look at Puppy again.
Of course, there are other Puppies, and Carolina --like Precise-- is targeted to "newer" machines. I'm just suggesting that "newer" may be "newer" than Barry K and the Devs think.
Carolina 002, if I remember correctly, used a non-PAE-enabled kernel. But it's no longer available for download. And, I think Elroy or Geoffrey indicated an intention to someday publish another non-PAE version. But in the meantime I figured --having read somewhere that it's easy to change kernels using Custom Builder-- why not do so on my Quod-core and port it over to my Thinkpad.
By the way, Elroy and Geoffrey, Custom Builder works great in creating one's own adrive. I really appreciate that. But this was the first time I tried to change kernels. Got to the part which requires you to browse to your "kernel package." What's a kernel package? Something different than a Kernel Source? Where do you get an alternate kernel package?
I know there's a thread on how to switch kernels --I think started by jrb. But that involves de-constructing two Puppies in order to build a new one. Not easy, and certainly not something I'd expect to have to do in the middle of a running "wizard." Finally, thought of searching various repos for "kernel packages" and discovered "kernel_sources-3.2.13-ski.sfs" here:http://www.smokey01.com/menu/. I downloaded it and intend to run Custom Builder and point it to the download.
Am I on the right track? If not, how does one acquire a "kernel package?" And if so, does anyone know of similar packages?

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

elroy

Re: How to Change Kernels with Custom Builder?

#531 Post by elroy »

mikeslr wrote:Hi All,
Its not my intention to start a war over the PAE kernel issue. Perhaps, as gcmartin says, the hardware to support it has been around since 1997. But I have a Thinkpad T42 manufactured in 2004 which will not boot kernels that are PAE enabled. I doubt that earlier Thinkpads will, and Thinkpads were fairly popular in part because they were robustly made and so still may be around in large numbers. And if IBM wasn't producing Laptops which didn't need and could not use more than 3.5gbs of RAM, why would IBM's competors incur the expense? So I suspect that any owners of such Thinkpads, and perhaps comparable laptops, looking to replace ancient XP OSes with a state of the art OS will discover Puppies and be disappointed that they just won't run: worse, sufficiently turned off by having wasted time and effort to download and burn a disk to never look at Puppy again.
Of course, there are other Puppies, and Carolina --like Precise-- is targeted to "newer" machines. I'm just suggesting that "newer" may be "newer" than Barry K and the Devs think.
Carolina 002, if I remember correctly, used a non-PAE-enabled kernel. But it's no longer available for download. And, I think Elroy or Geoffrey indicated an intention to someday publish another non-PAE version. But in the meantime I figured --having read somewhere that it's easy to change kernels using Custom Builder-- why not do so on my Quod-core and port it over to my Thinkpad.
By the way, Elroy and Geoffrey, Custom Builder works great in creating one's own adrive. I really appreciate that. But this was the first time I tried to change kernels. Got to the part which requires you to browse to your "kernel package." What's a kernel package? Something different than a Kernel Source? Where do you get an alternate kernel package?
I know there's a thread on how to switch kernels --I think started by jrb. But that involves de-constructing two Puppies in order to build a new one. Not easy, and certainly not something I'd expect to have to do in the middle of a running "wizard." Finally, thought of searching various repos for "kernel packages" and discovered "kernel_sources-3.2.13-ski.sfs" here:http://www.smokey01.com/menu/. I downloaded it and intend to run Custom Builder and point it to the download.
Am I on the right track? If not, how does one acquire a "kernel package?" And if so, does anyone know of similar packages?

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr
Long time no-hear, mikesir! I'm glad to hear of that your taking the first steps in discovering the custom-builder. There is a non-PAE kernel that you can use located here - http://smokey01.com/carolina/elroy/kern ... 2.13-c.pet. This is the sister-version of the PAE kernel offered in the standard Carolina. Another option would be to try lina-lite, although lite isn't as user friendly as Carolina is. That said, lite doesn't contain 'extra-baggage'. Essentially, with lite you create a new adrive containing the packages that you desire, because lite doesn't contain any packages (outside of leafpad).

James C

#532 Post by James C »

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

I'm not really using Carolina but I assume you'll actually need the kernel pet. After compiling a kernel I make a kernel pet, a kernel headers pet and a kernel sources sfs ........you need the kernel pet.
See screenie for examples.
HTH.
Attachments
kernel stuff.JPG
(45.49 KiB) Downloaded 648 times

Marv

#533 Post by Marv »

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr
Give 'lina-lite a spin. I run a stable of Pentium M laptops ( Dell D610, Fujitsu 6120 and 6210 lifebooks) as well as a slightly newer IBM T60. 'lina-lite-004 runs extremely well on all of these machines and adding apps, whether be by adrive, sfs or manual remastering to a stable lean base is much easier than winnowing out bloat IMHO.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

Carolina - 0.0.5 is available

#534 Post by elroy »

Carolina-005 is now available. Please visit the News page for info and download link.

peebee

Re: Carolina - 0.0.5 is available

#535 Post by peebee »

elroy wrote:Carolina-005 is now available. Please visit the News page for info and download link.
Hi elroy

I got a red md5 error message from running the 004-005 delta but the 005 iso was created and appears to be uncorrupted....so I'm not sure if it has been created correctly or not.

It's only 256MB so I guess its not correct.

I've downloaded the delta twice....the md5 checks out.

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

smokey01

#536 Post by smokey01 »

peebee

#537 Post by peebee »

smokey01 wrote:peebee try this one.
http://smokey01.com/software/iso/lina-0 ... .iso.delta
Hmmmmmmm

My lina-004.iso has a different md5 to the one on the download site.....
mine: b1318cd0b25c401c798ba7ffed1d878a lina-004.iso
378MB 28Nov

repository: cfbfca0adb506abd2842cdea836e6d20 lina-004.iso
378MB 28Nov

004 was created using the 003-004 delta....

Looks like I need to download the full 005 iso

Do repeated applications of delta files not produce identical isos??

I must admit that I don't check the new iso's md5 if I've downloaded a delta and it successfully creates the new iso.

Cheers
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rg66

#538 Post by rg66 »

peebee wrote: Hmmmmmmm

My lina-004.iso has a different md5 to the one on the download site.....
mine: b1318cd0b25c401c798ba7ffed1d878a lina-004.iso
378MB 28Nov

repository: cfbfca0adb506abd2842cdea836e6d20 lina-004.iso
378MB 28Nov

004 was created using the 003-004 delta....

Looks like I need to download the full 005 iso

I must admit that I don't check the new iso's md5 if I've downloaded a delta and it successfully creates the new iso.

Cheers
peebee
I've been using the delta's for lina and lite since 001 and all the md5 sums match for me. Maybe check them all and see if one was corrupted.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

elroy

#539 Post by elroy »

peebee wrote:Looks like I need to download the full 005 iso

I had to re-upload 004 right after release due to a missing file-permission for the probepart script. It's possible that you got the 1st download. But it's more likely that I didn't update the delta file (003 to 004) after fixing that. I don't know that for fact, but from what you're describing that would be my guess. My apologies.

peebee

#540 Post by peebee »

elroy wrote:
peebee wrote:Looks like I need to download the full 005 iso

I had to re-upload 004 right after release due to a missing file-permission for the probepart script. It's possible that you got the 1st download. But it's more likely that I didn't update the delta file (003 to 004) after fixing that. I don't know that for fact, but from what you're describing that would be my guess. My apologies.
No probs - these things happen - we're all grateful that you produce deltas - best regards - peebee

jpup

Carolina 005 MERRY CHRISTMAS

#541 Post by jpup »

Wow! Carolina 005 is out :)

Thanks Elroy and Geoffrey... merry christmas to you guys, and merry christmas to Jemimah too, and to everyone :)

I packaged virtualbox version 4.2.4 r81684 for the 3.2.13 kernel
It doesn't require you to load the kernel sources/devx
It includes the guest additions ISO and preloaded extension pack.

virtualbox_4.2.4_r81684_Carolina_3.2.13-ski.sfs

virtualbox_4.2.4_r81684_Carolina_3.2.13-ski.sfs-md5.text

I also updated my AMD catalyst drivers for the AMD E series APU

AMD_Catalyst_12_10_AMD_E_Series_APU_carolina_3_2_13_ski.jpup.pet

AMD_Catalyst_12_10_AMD_E_Series_APU_carolina_3_2_13_ski.jpup.pet-md5.text

Thanks and Happy Holidays :)

here's a carolina christmas wallpaper for anyone who wants it
it has a transparent background so it will follow your desktop color

Pete22

Lina 005 md5

#542 Post by Pete22 »

A new version. Wonderful.

I've downloaded lina 005 twice and the md5 does not match the text.

I get b28313637de62319e6f35bc004aa11da,

Do I still have a problem?

Pete

Pete22

lina 005

#543 Post by Pete22 »

My lina 005 is not loading the zdrive. That's why the md5 does not match.

Elroy: would you check the download to see if it uploaded correctly?
If so, I will try downloading it again.

Thanks for the Christmas present!

Pete

elroy

#544 Post by elroy »

Notice:

The ISO and .delta files for Carolina-005 have been re-uploaded as of
Thursday, December 20, 2012 @ 6:27 PM (UTC/GMT). If you've downloaded an ISO or .delta file prior to that time, please re-download at the very least the new .delta file and create a fresh ISO from it to ensure that your initial download was not corrupt.

mikeslr

Explanation and more change kernel questions

#545 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Elroy & JamesC,

I wasn't really MIA. Just lurking in the shadows with nothing significant to add. And mostly playing with the precises. But I was trying to put together a minimal (for internet cafe only) OS for a Thinkpad R51 –basically the same specs as my T42-- and so naturally thought of lina-lite. Unfortunately –despite my urging against it-- the person wanted to use google-chrome (from Saluki), and it wouldn't run complaining of missing libs. So I figured I'd start with Carolina –in which google-chrome12 ran fine-- and build an adrive containing only those apps whose functions I wasn't sure could be eliminated and those I wanted to include. It was built on my Quad-core, run superbly, but transporting it to my T42 reminded me that Carolina used a PAE-enabled kernel. After your response reminding me that lina-lite didn't use a PAE-enabled kernel, it was a simple job just to substitute the adrive I built in Carolina for lina-lite's default adrive.

But now that I'm again interested in how to change kernels, your responses still have me confused. You've both referred me to either kernel pets or a kernel sfs. How do the relate to Custom Builder? or Don't they? How are they employed? That is, what steps does one take using them to change kernel?

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr