Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
rg66

#496 Post by rg66 »

Sage wrote:No kids machine is complete without Tuxpuck and Tuxracer (also been re-named several times.). Sometimes the oldest are the best.
Puzzled as to why you are running frugal with that spec and deployment? Would've thought FULL would be more suitable when the purpose is fixed? Adding .sfs s and later calls to increase savefiles, load alternative ditto, etc just makes life too complicated and potentially hazardous? Old 20Gb HDs are two-a-penny, so swapping them over in a caddy is quicker and trouble-free. What say you?
Tried Tuxracer but It wouldn't run. Can't remember the error but I'll play with it another time. Will check out Tuxpuck, thanks.

These 2 monsters will destroy a full install in no time, GCompris caused too many issue installed, wrecked the desktop and icons. The SFS works without problems.

The point is to have a complete OS without a save file and it should be indestructible.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

jpup

Re: puppy4kids

#497 Post by jpup »

rg66 wrote:
Also if someone knows how to get SFS's to load without a save file I would really appreciate it. Then it would be bullet proof!
Hi rg66, I run my system without savefiles and I can load sfs apps with no problem... I have the devx and kernel sources built-in to my iso though.

to Elroy: I had just built a new custom ISO about an hour ago... It seems that the lina_xfce-4.10 has been updated (dated dec. 02 in the repo). I don't know if it's related to that new lina_xfce, but it seems that the netmonitor, cpufrequency, and sensor plugins are missing? If that's the case, I just wanna ask where could I find the previous version (the one built-in to carolina 004). If not, then it's probably an error on my part and I will just build another one.

Thanks.

Sage

#498 Post by Sage »

These 2 monsters will destroy a full install in no time
Got to stay (at least) one jump ahead with kids! Make the HD read-only; probably able to unhook it for mods & additions simply with a CLI - someone here will tell how.
Tux racer has had a checkered history. It was copyrighted at one stage (a decade ago?), name changed (several), updated, all the usual guff, but why do you think it's received so much attention! Probable there's a version that's compatible? Do a Forum Search?

smokey01

#499 Post by smokey01 »

rg66, why not put all of your additional software in the adrv_lina_004.sfs then you shouldn't need to create a savefile.

You could also manually put all of the additional software in the main puppy_lina_004.sfs file.

Either way you wouldn't need a save file and could run live from a DVD.

elroy

Re: puppy4kids

#500 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:I don't know if it's related to that new lina_xfce, but it seems that the netmonitor, cpufrequency, and sensor plugins are missing?
I've corrected the missing plugins in the pet. I updated the pet because the directory structure had a couple errors, and neglected to move a few of the plugins by accident. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for finding that.

Bligh

#501 Post by Bligh »

@Smokey01, Good suggestions, I don't know how to do that yet, and I really like the save file but I will continue to watch this thread.
Cheers

rg66

#502 Post by rg66 »

smokey01 wrote:rg66, why not put all of your additional software in the adrv_lina_004.sfs then you shouldn't need to create a savefile.

You could also manually put all of the additional software in the main puppy_lina_004.sfs file.

Either way you wouldn't need a save file and could run live from a DVD.
Thanks smokey. but as per my previous post GCompris was causing too many desktop issues unless an sfs. Plus, adding to a small sfs is fast and easy.

Anyways, it's sorted. Did a remaster and it saved the sfs_load list. Added PRECHOICE=no to pupsave.conf and it doesn't ask to save at shutdown. Except for them destroying the boot partition it should be fairly bullet proof.

Thanks to everyone for suggestions.
Last edited by rg66 on Sun 09 Dec 2012, 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

jpup

carolina 004

#503 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:
jpup wrote:I don't know if it's related to that new lina_xfce, but it seems that the netmonitor, cpufrequency, and sensor plugins are missing?
I've corrected the missing plugins in the pet. I updated the pet because the directory structure had a couple errors, and neglected to move a few of the plugins by accident. Sorry for any inconvenience, and thanks for finding that.
Thanks Elroy :) I'll be building again later :)
I'm the one who should say sorry for all the inconveniences I have brought upon you. Earlier, I tried extracting the xfce pet using gnewpet but it seems that gnewpet failed to include some files or libs in the package it made, or I just don't know how to use it properly.

Carolina has improved a lot, compared to the previous versions, I can now clearly see when a savefile is being created during shutdown/reboot, where previously it was just a blank screen and you don't even know whether the system has already frozen. Sleep is also working now and I can resume, but after that, rebooting is still difficult, and I still need to remove power source and wait, probably an asus 1215B issue.

my adrv has grown to 262.7 mb, though I have already removed office, jre, flash, and some other stuff which I can just load as sfs when I need to.
I guess I can't really do anything about the file size since I need to preload my ATI driver pet so that I can use carolina peacefully on this notebook, as well as the kernel sources, devx, qtwebkit, and my configurations for convenience.

Now I'm trying to learn how to move things to the main sfs. But I'm still not familiar with the directory structures, and I still don't understand how a lot of things work and the purpose of many other components.

I also want to redo my ATI driver pet as I feel it needs some inspection and cleaning up, and I packaged it using an old version of carolina, although it seems to work with no issues.

Overall, carolina 004 seems to be stable enough on my system and I could probably afford to skip upgrading for a while.

Thanks for everything. :)

by the way, is there an antivirus available for carolina? I just don't want to unknowingly retransmit viruses to windows systems

slenkar

#504 Post by slenkar »

r u gonna build it against puppy 5.4?

jpup

#505 Post by jpup »

slenkar wrote:r u gonna build it against puppy 5.4?
Hi slenkar

please try to make your statement/query clearer so that whoever is concerned can give you a proper reply

Thanks

jpup

custom carolina 004

#506 Post by jpup »

the build was a success, I think :)
I managed to move lina_xfce to the main sfs, as well as my configs and some other packages.
The system seems to work OK.
I just need to clean up the adrv as some things seem to override some of the configs I had included in the main sfs.

slenkar

#507 Post by slenkar »

jpup wrote:
Hi slenkar

please try to make your statement/query clearer so that whoever is concerned can give you a proper reply

Thanks
Precise and Slacko 5.4 work with my graphics card, is carolina based on puppy 5.4 yet?

elroy

#508 Post by elroy »

slenkar wrote:
jpup wrote:
Hi slenkar

Thanks
Precise and Slacko 5.4 work with my graphics card, is carolina based on puppy 5.4 yet?
We're based on wary/racy, which are almost to 5.4. However we're still discussing whether or not we'll be doing so. There are other issues to consider, such as library upgrades that may have been/may not have been included in the latest wary/racy which will determine whether or not such an upgrade is worth it.

EDIT: When referring to "we", I'm referring to Geoffrey and myself. If petitioning me doesn't work, it may work by asking Geoffrey. I tend to deffer to his experience.
Last edited by elroy on Fri 07 Dec 2012, 04:45, edited 1 time in total.

elroy

#509 Post by elroy »

I wrote a basic tutorial for creating a custom adrive using the custom-builder. It's located in the Help section.

EDIT: This tutorial has been long overdue, and IMHO much needed. There's been much confusion about the adrive and the usage of the custom-builder. I've aspired to complete this a few months ago, but unfortunately it took until now to realize it. I'm not good at doing tutorials, and motivating myself to work on them is like pulling teeth.

elroy

Re: custom carolina 004

#510 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:the build was a success, I think :)
I managed to move lina_xfce to the main sfs, as well as my configs and some other packages.
The system seems to work OK.
I just need to clean up the adrv as some things seem to override some of the configs I had included in the main sfs.
Yes, the adrv config override is by design. It allows the end-user to modify the default configurations to their choosing with the custom-builder. If you're moving things to the main sfs, then it would be necessary to remove them from the adrive. You'll want to leave the things on the adrive in /root/.packages alone, though, else the custom-builder won't operate as expected (nor will Gnewpet).

jpup

#511 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote: Yes, the adrv config override is by design. It allows the end-user to modify the default configurations to their choosing with the custom-builder. If you're moving things to the main sfs, then it would be necessary to remove them from the adrive. You'll want to leave the things on the adrive in /root/.packages alone, though, else the custom-builder won't operate as expected (nor will Gnewpet).
Hi Elroy :) I'll be checking the tutorials, thanks.

I only use gnewpet with an unmodified adrv/puppy sfs. I also try to preserve and not mess with things I don't understand. There are so many files and components, and I am not yet familiar with many things. I use a combination of the custom builder and manual extraction/editing of the sfs. I try to compare the sfs from the standard/unmodified carolina with the custom ones I had built so I will have some sort of guide, and progress step by step. I also try to inspect the packages and see what I need to change and what I know how to. I also keep a buildnote of everything. Scanning all those directories and files can get confusing sometimes, not to mention the fact that you are working with Identical directories. I also try to keep the integrity of the built-in packages list, I remove the pet/sfs packages from the adrive using the custom builder to reflect the ones I've moved to the main sfs.

My main sfs now loads most of my personal configs, like my panel setups, themes, application preferences, etc.
I've managed to move

lina_xfce-4.10
vattery-0.1
gtk-engines-1.0
gtkglext-1.2.0-i486
gnutls-2.8.5-i486
orage-4.8.3-i486
ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5 (modified)
geany-0.19.1-2-carolina
glib-networking-2.30.1-i486

to the main sfs directory. Things seem to work well so far.
I still need to learn a lot of things, and I'm not really good with scripts.

Here are some of the things I am trying to figure out now:
Which file/files/folders/scripts are responsible for the
timezone setup
desktop icons placement/text colors/sizes, etc.
cpu frequency/governor setup
and startup services
and how to prevent the personalize settings wizard from popping up.

I've managed to save all these configs with the custom builder during my older builds, but I just let the builder include my settings and just copied my root to the adrv during those builds, Now I want to learn the more specific things and be able to do a clean build.

elroy

#512 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:
elroy wrote: Yes, the adrv config override is by design. It allows the end-user to modify the default configurations to their choosing with the custom-builder. If you're moving things to the main sfs, then it would be necessary to remove them from the adrive. You'll want to leave the things on the adrive in /root/.packages alone, though, else the custom-builder won't operate as expected (nor will Gnewpet).
Hi Elroy :) I'll be checking the tutorials, thanks.

I only use gnewpet with an unmodified adrv/puppy sfs. I also try to preserve and not mess with things I don't understand. There are so many files and components, and I am not yet familiar with many things. I use a combination of the custom builder and manual extraction/editing of the sfs. I try to compare the sfs from the standard/unmodified carolina with the custom ones I had built so I will have some sort of guide, and progress step by step. I also try to inspect the packages and see what I need to change and what I know how to. I also keep a buildnote of everything. Scanning all those directories and files can get confusing sometimes, not to mention the fact that you are working with Identical directories. I also try to keep the integrity of the built-in packages list, I remove the pet/sfs packages from the adrive using the custom builder to reflect the ones I've moved to the main sfs.

My main sfs now loads most of my personal configs, like my panel setups, themes, application preferences, etc.
I've managed to move

lina_xfce-4.10
vattery-0.1
gtk-engines-1.0
gtkglext-1.2.0-i486
gnutls-2.8.5-i486
orage-4.8.3-i486
ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5 (modified)
geany-0.19.1-2-carolina
glib-networking-2.30.1-i486

to the main sfs directory. Things seem to work well so far.
I still need to learn a lot of things, and I'm not really good with scripts.

Here are some of the things I am trying to figure out now:
Which file/files/folders/scripts are responsible for the
timezone setup
desktop icons placement/text colors/sizes, etc.
cpu frequency/governor setup
and startup services
and how to prevent the personalize settings wizard from popping up.

I've managed to save all these configs with the custom builder during my older builds, but I just let the builder include my settings and just copied my root to the adrv during those builds, Now I want to learn the more specific things and be able to do a clean build.

Hi jpup,

Just for future reference, this type of post is more applicable to the lina-lite forum. Carolina is intended for new users/windows refugees. But for the record, your questions may have value on this forum also, so I will do my best to answer your queries (that, and I probably would have asked the same type of questions myself if the roles were reversed).

Time-zone setup: after running the 1st run dialog, in /etc there will be two files that you'll need to move to the adrive or main sfs - /etc/localtime (a symlink that won't work unless you've already run the 1st run dialog), and /etc/clock.

desktop icons placement/text colors/sizes, etc.: these can be configured via the control panel using the ControlPanel --> Desktop --> XfcePowerTools application. I wrote this application, so if you have any further questions regarding it, I'd be more than qualified to answer them. Essentially, when finished editing, it'll create a hidden file in the root directory in the path as /root/.gtkrc-2.0. Copy this to your adrive (or main sfs). If you want to know how it works, open the script in a text editor; there are abundant comments that describe its' inner workings.

cpu frequency/governor setup: Once you've set up the acpid from the control panel, the files needed to use for subsequent usage is /etc/wcpufreqdriver.

"and how to prevent the personalize settings wizard from popping up" if you mean by this the dialog that appears on a clean boot, then all you need to include on the adrive/main sfs is a blank file in /etc, called firstrun. This file need not be executable, just a plain file. If you'd like to know how to avoid having the save upon exit appear (no save-file, and not wanting a save-file query) let me know and I can help you with that, also.

jpup

#513 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote: Just for future reference, this type of post is more applicable to the lina-lite forum. Carolina is intended for new users/windows refugees. But for the record, your questions may have value on this forum also, so I will do my best to answer your queries (that, and I probably would have asked the same type of questions myself if the roles were reversed).
Thanks Elroy, and sorry. But I honestly think that these things are considerably basic, and would be embarassing to post on an advanced forum like the lite thread.

I also think that anyone could probably accomplish this, if we give them some useable guide or reference. As these modifications/changes will likely be the first things a user would want to figure out. Nice pdf tutorial by the way. It seems you already have the carolina 005 :)

So, you created xfce powertools :) I actually didn't know how to use that until carolina 003 came out. I was able to include those settings in my previous builds, but I've noticed my icons changes alignment if the configs were preloaded in the sfs, compared to loading from a save file, which seems to keep my preferred icon arrangement/positions.

Regarding the firstrun file, I thought I needed to delete that :) so it wouldn't detect first run? :D

Anyway, carolina is proving to be very flexible. And once a user learns/acquires his building technique, there are many possibilities :D

And yes I would be happy to learn the save/not save modifications, as well as a lot of other things :)

pchan

#514 Post by pchan »

I installed carolina 04.

I was and still am a fan of saluki023. Therefore, I am happy to see "carolina puppy."

I discovered 1 problem so far.

After installing "wine" from pakage manager, I cannot find wine in the menu. Also, usually the installation of wine will automatically download and install something called "wine-gecko." But this did not happen for some reasons.

I hope this caan be solved because i really need to install some windows program via "wine."

Thanks!

jpup

wine

#515 Post by jpup »

pchan wrote:I installed carolina 04.

I was and still am a fan of saluki023. Therefore, I am happy to see "carolina puppy."

I discovered 1 problem so far.

After installing "wine" from pakage manager, I cannot find wine in the menu. Also, usually the installation of wine will automatically download and install something called "wine-gecko." But this did not happen for some reasons.

I hope this caan be solved because i really need to install some windows program via "wine."

Thanks!
Hi pchan, I checked wine regarding your post... and it seems to work fine, you can find the "wine windows program loader" in the UTILITY category of the applications menu.

thanks