Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

#46 Post by Geoffrey »

smokey01 wrote:Is there a default PDF reader?
Evince, but it appears defaultpdf is missing from /usr/local/bin
Extract and copy defaultpdf to /usr/local/bin, there is a how to default_pdf.txt included.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mikeslr

Frisbee does not see RaLink RT2561/RT61 wireless

#47 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Carolina & All;

My system:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

Manual frugal install of Carolina 1. Booted to desktop at correct resolution, although I don't know if the Radeon driver is being used. Seemed a little slow, but that may be the result of all that's included in adrive. Did not explore much such as testing sound as the first thing I do is attempt to establish wireless connection. Unfortunately, Frisbee does not see my wireless adapter, RaLink RT2561/RT61. So I created a small SaveFile and rebooted into Precise to report that. Without a wireless connection, carolina will not be of any use to me, nor I to its development. If I remember correctly, wireless drivers are kernel dependent.
Saluki thru 23, all versions of Precise, Slacko & Exprimo recognized the driver.
I also would appreciate a non-PAE version. My second most often used computer is a Thinkpad T42 that will not boot PAE enabled kernels. I generally don't even test PAE Puplets, but as Carolina is a fork of Saluki and Saluki runs well on about 5 other computers I've somehow accumulated I figured I'd start exploring/customizing at Carolina's beginning on my Quad-Core and port to the other computers when a non-pae version became available.

mikesLr

yr1945

#48 Post by yr1945 »

@Geoffrey and All Others Testing Carolina...

thanks for your response on "Carolina Custom Builder"... i added the patch... the builder went through all the required steps and seemed to work quite well... i replaced the your Adrive with my customized one and rebooted my pc... the menu listed just the apps that i wanted... however, when i clicked on them they did not start... nothing happened...

what do i need to do differently? i'm pretty sure it may be something that i did wrong... please advise...???

perhaps, someone else can try "Carolina Custom Builder" and see what results they get... if anyone does... please let me know...??? Thanks!!!

ps: i just went back to saluki023 and used it's Custom Builder... basically, it went through the same process and worked quite well... all apps started up when i clicked on them

starhawk

#49 Post by starhawk »

@elroy: opened alsamixer in a terminal and set everything with a volume indicator to 100%. It's a little louder now... but only a little. Guess I need good speakers to use Carolina :lol: actually, I'm about to install that volume-button tarball in a minute or two.

Two more points...

(1) Using frisbee is really unintuitive in Carolina -- there's no button to launch it, you have to right click on the tray icon. Having a "Launch Frisbee" entry in the control panel would be a good start here.

(2) Unlike literally every other Puppy/Puplet I've used, there is no mechanism for automatically running the firewall wizard upon first run of the network wizards. Users are expected --apparently-- to know that it's needed and where to find it. This is definitely not a good idea!

Lastly, there were a few points I made in my last post, and I'd be quite interested to your response to all IIRC five points I've made so far that don't have to do with the sound issue. That's three of the four points in the last post, and the two in this post.

EDIT: the volume icon tarball does not work for me. A pity it's not a shell script, so I can't tweak it. Also: kudos for making the DEL key work (instead of CTRL+X) but the pcbeep coming out of my speakers when I use it is not appreciated nearly as much ;)

elroy

#50 Post by elroy »

starhawk wrote:I suspect your compilation of the ath5k driver is a little bit funky. I haven't had connectivity this bad in quite some time either that, or it goes to sleep almost instantly. At least it keeps trying to reconnect! (Persistence is a virtue here.) FWIW, it might be a failing card. I pulled this one from spares.
Thanks for the heads up; we'll have to keep an eye on that going forward.
starhawk wrote:pmount takes an awful long time to pull up and does not recognize the media card reader (FATSlacko is much better here -- it is quite snappy and does recognize the reader).
Yes, pmount is a bit slow. It's much faster to open the file manager and mount/unmount drives from within Thunar, or with the drive icons located on the desktop. If pmount becomes an issue because it isn't recognizing drives, or it's performance is lacking, we may just have to remove it.
starhawk wrote:the menu is completely different from nearly every other Puppy I've used. Menu changes = much user frustration.
Actually, the menus are quite similar to what Saluki's were, which is what this project is a fork of. We're not trying to be an “official
Last edited by elroy on Sat 06 Oct 2012, 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#51 Post by starhawk »

@elroy: Sorry for the lack of patience. That's a virtue I need to get more of! No hard feelings.

To address each of your (counter?) points:

The wireless bug is an issue with the network wizards. Frisbee (not my favorite utility) worked pretty well once it got going, and it kept the connection up without problem. I think it's something to do with the Simple & Classic Network wizards, rather than the driver itself.

I'd say go ahead and remove pmount if you've got something to replace it. One nail doesn't need two hammers, if you get my drift ;)

Fair point about the menus... although there are a few other Puplets that try to do this. It's great for newcomers IF they stick to the one Puplet. If they're coming from a Puppy with a 'conventional' menu (for lack of a better term) then there's going to be confusion. Also for Windows users -- there's a LOT more intuitiveness in eg the WinXP start menu than in the Carolina pupmenu. I'll be glad to make furthur suggestions here, if they're welcome... unfortunately I am not a coder so I can't do more than make suggestions.

Chrome SFS is nice, but again, I didn't know about it. That's very unintuitive because it makes me go exploring or ask someone -- and the questions for newbies are liable to be both "how do I install Chrome?" and "what the #@!! is an SFS?!". Browser-Installer (isn't that one of sc0ttman's inventions?) is a simple solution to the problem -- at least, for anyone with a better-than-dialup connection. (Mine is, but only barely.)

In Windows XP it's a left-click to open/launch the wireless config, and a right-click to display status. The fact that an unconnected Frisbee does nothing when you left-click it is very unintuitive as well.

Running the firewall by default on firstboot would be a very good thing. (Can the 'installed' files be copied over from one computer to the next? i.e. have it preinstalled like other programs that come on the ISO?) I do commend you guys for updating the installer to something a lot less CLIish. Staring at something that looks like DOS is not going to impress new users at all. It just reminds them of what computing looked like in the 80s.

As for the sound icon... copied the file to /root/Startup, then went to Menu>Shutdown and selected "Restart X". Screen flickered and went black for a second, came back up, no icon. Hmm.

Minnesota

wireless

#52 Post by Minnesota »

Sorry to report there is something very different in the handling of wireless.

Boot Carolina, Frisbee screen is blank.

Boot Saluki - Luki-023 7-6-12 Frisbee screen for selecting networks available, is populated.

Using very common Dongle, in fact two with same driver of zd1211rw.

elroy

Re: Frisbee does not see RaLink RT2561/RT61 wireless

#53 Post by elroy »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Carolina & All;

My system:
Processor: 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor
Memory: 3375MB
ATI Radeon 3100 Graphics supporting 1600x900 pixels
RaLink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI

Manual frugal install of Carolina 1. Booted to desktop at correct resolution, although I don't know if the Radeon driver is being used. Seemed a little slow, but that may be the result of all that's included in adrive. Did not explore much such as testing sound as the first thing I do is attempt to establish wireless connection. Unfortunately, Frisbee does not see my wireless adapter, RaLink RT2561/RT61. So I created a small SaveFile and rebooted into Precise to report that. Without a wireless connection, carolina will not be of any use to me, nor I to its development. If I remember correctly, wireless drivers are kernel dependent.
Saluki thru 23, all versions of Precise, Slacko & Exprimo recognized the driver.
I also would appreciate a non-PAE version. My second most often used computer is a Thinkpad T42 that will not boot PAE enabled kernels. I generally don't even test PAE Puplets, but as Carolina is a fork of Saluki and Saluki runs well on about 5 other computers I've somehow accumulated I figured I'd start exploring/customizing at Carolina's beginning on my Quad-Core and port to the other computers when a non-pae version became available.

mikesLr
Hi midesLr,

Your particular chipset is not loaded by default, but it does appear to be available. You should be able to get the wi-fi working from the menu by choosing Control Panel-->System-->Configure Kernel Modules. Select the "click here to add new modules" option (it takes awhile to load, so be patient). When the list of available modules becomes visible, scroll down and choose "rt61pci". Follow the directions at the top of the dialog box. Hopefully that will solve your wi-fi problems.

I may release a non-official, non-PAE version of Carolina down the road, but that probably won't be until Carolina has most of the bugs worked out and is at or near its release cycle. Currently I don't have the time to maintain two separate builds. But once most of the kinks are worked out, that would be much easier to do.

elroy

Re: wireless

#54 Post by elroy »

Minnesota wrote:Sorry to report there is something very different in the handling of wireless.

Boot Carolina, Frisbee screen is blank.

Boot Saluki - Luki-023 7-6-12 Frisbee screen for selecting networks available, is populated.

Using very common Dongle, in fact two with same driver of zd1211rw.
When that happens in frisbee, click the Reset Wireless Network button, and give it some time to refresh the list.

Pete22

No Wifi for me either

#55 Post by Pete22 »

Carolina Folks:

Wow she's a beauty! Even with her Beta bugs.

I tried Frisbee, Simple Network Setup and Network Wizard. None of them worked.

In both SNS and NW I loaded the drivers that worked in the past but no go.

Will try doing what you suggested midesLr, do; though i am not too hopeful
that it will work at this point. If it does, I will let you know.

Love having the panel from the old version back. Now I can use the temp for my laptop.

Pete

elroy

#56 Post by elroy »

yr1945 wrote:@Geoffrey and All Others Testing Carolina...

thanks for your response on "Carolina Custom Builder"... i added the patch... the builder went through all the required steps and seemed to work quite well... i replaced the your Adrive with my customized one and rebooted my pc... the menu listed just the apps that i wanted... however, when i clicked on them they did not start... nothing happened...

what do i need to do differently? i'm pretty sure it may be something that i did wrong... please advise...???

perhaps, someone else can try "Carolina Custom Builder" and see what results they get... if anyone does... please let me know...??? Thanks!!!

ps: i just went back to saluki023 and used it's Custom Builder... basically, it went through the same process and worked quite well... all apps started up when i clicked on them
Hi yr1945,

I did a couple tests. First, I made a default adrive downloading the given packages, and found an error in the package list on the server. That's now fixed, but that would've only kept the panel-applets from working correctly. I tested this adrive out, and everything in the menu worked.

I then created an empty folder named adrv_lina_001, right-clicked and converted it to a sfs package, and booted using this as a totally empty adrive. Aside from a failed to mount pup_2 error on the terminal screen during login (because the adrive is empty, there's nothing to mount to), the default Carolina with an empty adrive loaded just fine. I then went into the menu and clicked the various default applications (these applications are located on the puppy_lina_001.sfs and cannot be modified with the custom-builder). Every thing worked.

I don't know exactly what you did, and can not replicate it without knowing what you put into your custom adrive, and the exact steps you took. If you would like to pm me that information, I may be able to help you out.

elroy

Re: No Wifi for me either

#57 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:Carolina Folks:

Wow she's a beauty! Even with her Beta bugs.

I tried Frisbee, Simple Network Setup and Network Wizard. None of them worked.

In both SNS and NW I loaded the drivers that worked in the past but no go.

Will try doing what you suggested midesLr, do; though i am not too hopeful
that it will work at this point. If it does, I will let you know.

Love having the panel from the old version back. Now I can use the temp for my laptop.

Pete
Glad you like Carolina, Pete22. And I sincerely hope you can get your connection issues sorted out.

elroy

#58 Post by elroy »

starhawk wrote:As for the sound icon... copied the file to /root/Startup, then went to Menu>Shutdown and selected "Restart X". Screen flickered and went black for a second, came back up, no icon. Hmm.
It's not an icon. There should have been a speaker icon on the panel even before the patch is put into place. What the patch does is gives a graphic on the upper right of the screen when the volume is adjusted either from the mixer, within a media player, or from a volume slider that most computers have.

And no offense taken. Suggestions are always welcome.

starhawk

#59 Post by starhawk »

Oh. OK. There is a speaker icon there -- it opens xfcemixer when I click on it; this appears to be the only action it has. I actually expected a second icon to show up where, like on conventional puppies, you click it for a quick master-volume adjust. Like left-clicking on the speaker icon in XP. (FWIW, double-clicking the XP version is what brings up the complicated mixer.)

elroy

Patches

#60 Post by elroy »

Check the first post on this thread often, as it contains the patches that are available for Carolina. Due to the size of Carolina's ISO, this is a more efficient method of making corrections instead of releasing a new ISO version every few days. I know I don't want to have to upload a new ISO every few days, and I'm sure you wouldn't want to have to download it frequently, either.

All patches will be accumulative - the latest will also contain the earlier patches - so you only need to install the latest to keep up to date. This will make things simpler for those that build custom adrives, as they only have to apply the latest patch instead of a bunch of patches.

When new versions of the ISO are released, they will include any bug fixes that were made available by patches.

Pete22

Installing a patch as a pet or not

#61 Post by Pete22 »

To use a patch, download and extract, enter extracted
folder, open terminal from within folder, and enter
./install.sh to install the patch.

Unquote

I usually install tar.gz files as a pet. Is that wrong?

I can install the update your way if i need to. I am just
Just wondering if I have been making a mistake by
installing them as pets.

Pete22.

elroy

Re: Installing a patch as a pet or not

#62 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:Quote

To use a patch, download and extract, enter extracted
folder, open terminal from within folder, and enter
./install.sh to install the patch.

Unquote

I usually install tar.gz files as a pet. Is that wrong?

I can install the update your way if i need to. I am just
Just wondering if I have been making a mistake by
installing them as pets.

Pete22.
No, do not install it as a pet. It must be done in the way described. Sorry, Pete22.

Minnesota

wireless

#63 Post by Minnesota »

Elroy:
"When that happens in frisbee, click the Reset Wireless Network button, and give it some time to refresh the list."...........

.is five minutes wait from boot long enough? Is another five minutes after reset?

I next went to menu, programs, control panel, networks, wizard -launch, it asked if OK to unload Frisbee.... OK-yes

Failed to raise interface. Cleared, old full network wizard replies with no networks are detected. I have the suspicion Frisbee did not unload.

I can not find the menu item to look at what modules are loaded in memory. to tell if Frisbee is still active. All I know is I can not run network wizard and get any networks found.

Thanks,

One more question, I have not tried Luki, but module for ODBC in LebraOffice - Libodc.so.1, seems to be missing.

Minnesota

update on wirless

#64 Post by Minnesota »

Found the task manger, yes frisbee module is unloaded.

Icon on taskbar changes. However wizard fails to find any networks, as with my previous post. Says correct drive is loaded, zd1211rw. It scans as it does find a active interface.

Interesting - physically remove the USB cable to the dongle...and get exactly the same messages.

Pete22

What's not working

#65 Post by Pete22 »

Elroy:

I tried to install the patch just as you directed.
However, when I put ./install.sh in the terminal,
nothing happens. I tried going to the extraction folder
and pressing ~+esc to open a terminal but nothing
happened. So I put a terminal icon into the folder to
make sure it opened from there. I then tried
installing the patch three times but nothing happened.
I checked to see if the fixes are there, but they are not.

Wifi: Still is a no go, even with installing the most likely
kernels during startup. Wifi works on this computer in
Sakuki. I have installed and reinstalled the kernels but
nothing works. frisbee, sns, nw none of them work. I
installed and uninstalled numerous times.

I can not mount the sr0 drive by clicking on the
desktop icon nor by using pmount either. I can not
get the volume monitor to do anything, even though
the terminal says it is running.

Pete