Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 00:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Carolina - 1.3
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 29 of 110 [1643 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sun 25 Nov 2012, 00:25    Post subject: Java update  

Java has been updated in the PPM to jre-1.7u9-i586, the Firefox java plugin no longer works since the Firefox 17.0 update.

To update refresh the PPM and install the latest jre-1.7u9-i586, or get it directly from HERE.

If you have Firefox 17.0, then you will then need to select from the Firefox menu, Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and enable the java plugin.

elroy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 02:59    Post subject:  

Just an update, fyi. Geoffrey and I are currently working on 004 and we feel that we're getting closer to releasing it. Much of the things that we're adding have been tested in lina-lite. So far the feedback has been positive (with the exception of jpups issues). What will be included will be the latest version of gtkdialog4 and the latest version of java. We're also planning on having Firefox auto-update.

Also included will be Marv's probepart, which eliminates the hanging upon shutdown that is experienced on many notebooks. Notifications work now, and the panel-mounter works better than before (although it isn't perfected yet). And thumbnails now work correctly in Thunar. Much of the user-feedback has been most helpful. Some of it has been downright wonderful. And then again, a bit of it makes you scratch your head and say, "really?...". Just so you know that changes are coming, but we want to test it a bit more before releasing it. We're still working on figuring out why dragging from the menu and dropping to the desktop removes the icon from the menu rather than copying it; if you happen to figure it out before we do, we'd certainly appreciate hearing from you.
jpup

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 03:31    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:
So far the feedback has been positive (with the exception of jpups issues).

HI Elroy, I'm sorry if ever my posts have negative things.
I'm a big fan of carolina...
and I have full respect and admiration to all who are involved in this project.

Thank you for all your work...
I wish all the best for this project
elroy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 03:55    Post subject:  

jpup wrote:
elroy wrote:

No, don't be sorry. If everything was all positive, then nothing would get accomplished. Perhaps being concise in the future would be helpful. Responding to a veritable book is time-consuming. I have a full-time job, and two-distros to look after (soon to be three). I'd love to "save the world", but time is precious. I know you mean well, and please don't take offense.
jpup

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 04:07    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:
jpup wrote:
elroy wrote:

No, don't be sorry. If everything was all positive, then nothing would get accomplished. Perhaps being concise in the future would be helpful. Responding to a veritable book is time-consuming. I have a full-time job, and two-distros to look after (soon to be three). I'd love to "save the world", but time is precious. I know you mean well, and please don't take offense.

none taken Smile

but I guess I need to take a break from all this...
I've been spending too much time with carolina... though it can't be helped because getting the best setup takes a lot of time.

december is coming... and so is christmas...
and things are getting busy where I'm at...

can't wait for the new releases... especially when carolina leaves beta

thanks for everything
elroy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 04:21    Post subject:  

Have a great Christmas, jpup.

And jemimah, too!

Don't feel like you need to be a stranger. 004 will be out soon enough.
jpup

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 04:36    Post subject:  

thanks elroy Wink merry christmas to you too, and the rest of the gang

Jemimah is the one who created saluki, right?

She also created puppeee for the eee pc, if I'm not mistaken...

I wish I had the coding talent you guys have.

by the way, could you check out orage calendar, it seems to have the time zone set to UTC even after setting up the personalize settings wizard. Or is that how it works and you still need to set it up separately?
elroy

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 04:50    Post subject:  

jpup wrote:
Jemimah is the one who created saluki, right?

She also created puppeee for the eee pc, if I'm not mistaken...

That would be correct. I miss jemimah's vision and input. She was my mentor, and I certainly hope that she is doing well. My wish is that she's having a wonderful holiday season. Without jemimah, Carolina would not be possible. Take care, J!
rg66

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 05:49    Post subject:  

Replacing xfdesktop in /usr/bin with the one from saluki xfce-4.10.pet fixes the "dragging from the menu and dropping to the desktop removes the icon from the menu rather than copying it" problem.

Whether it changes anything else I'm not sure. I've only been using it for 10 min. so time will tell.

Edit: after 4 or 5 hours, no problems that I've noticed.

I've made a .pet to replace it and keep the old one as xfdesktop.bak just in case. Or dl the tar.gz and replace it manually.

Restart X after!
xfdesktop-4.10.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  xfdesktop-4.10.pet 
Filesize  195.98 KB 
Downloaded  266 Time(s) 
xfdesktop.tar.gz
Description 
gz

Download 
Filename  xfdesktop.tar.gz 
Filesize  96.78 KB 
Downloaded  256 Time(s) 

Last edited by rg66 on Tue 27 Nov 2012, 00:03; edited 2 times in total
Pete22

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 20:46    Post subject: Glad for the update  

Glad to hear 004 is coming.

Just FYI, not your problem, but the current version of libreoffice, is having trouble. My spell check stopped today. I checked their site and this and several other problems have been reported. And being dyslexic I can't work without spelling, so installing old version to finish my work for today.

I appreciate your fine work. Without my computer i could not work. It makes me very grateful that I can forget my handicaps most or the time.

I have notice a few glitches, but I will wait for version 4 to see if they disappear. Lots of the time my problems are user error or a lack of understanding of the big picture. Other times its my old hardware, that I am trying to make run faster than it ever thought possible.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. My two sisters are way less geeky than I am. They can understand Carolina, well enough to go on the internet or write a document and save it. Both are completely lost in Uxxxxxu. There are some sneeky geeky family members who keep putting Uxxxxu on their computers. Both call me to put Carolina back on instead. Low tech people don't like messing under the hood. They just want it to work without lots of bells and whistles. And Carolina does that so well. And its easy enough most the time for me to be their tech support. Now that Which is a miracle all by itself.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Pete
Puppyt

PostPosted: Mon 26 Nov 2012, 21:14    Post subject:  

004? Licensed to thrill... Smile
elroy

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov 2012, 01:16    Post subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
004? Licensed to thrill... Smile

Semi accurate Very Happy Using some of rg66's and jpup's ideas, I think that our issues concerning Xfce-4.10 are now resolved. We're certainly moving towards stability at a rapid pace.
elroy

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov 2012, 01:18    Post subject: Re: Glad for the update  

Pete22 wrote:
Glad to hear 004 is coming.

Just FYI, not your problem, but the current version of libreoffice, is having trouble. My spell check stopped today. I checked their site and this and several other problems have been reported. And being dyslexic I can't work without spelling, so installing old version to finish my work for today.

I appreciate your fine work. Without my computer i could not work. It makes me very grateful that I can forget my handicaps most or the time.

I have notice a few glitches, but I will wait for version 4 to see if they disappear. Lots of the time my problems are user error or a lack of understanding of the big picture. Other times its my old hardware, that I am trying to make run faster than it ever thought possible.

Give yourselves a pat on the back. My two sisters are way less geeky than I am. They can understand Carolina, well enough to go on the internet or write a document and save it. Both are completely lost in Uxxxxxu. There are some sneeky geeky family members who keep putting Uxxxxu on their computers. Both call me to put Carolina back on instead. Low tech people don't like messing under the hood. They just want it to work without lots of bells and whistles. And Carolina does that so well. And its easy enough most the time for me to be their tech support. Now that Which is a miracle all by itself.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Pete

Hopefully 004 will resolve your glitches, but if not be sure to keep us informed.
elroy

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov 2012, 01:35    Post subject:  

jpup wrote:
by the way, could you check out orage calendar, it seems to have the time zone set to UTC even after setting up the personalize settings wizard. Or is that how it works and you still need to set it up separately?

I'd be the wrong person to ask about this since I've never had to change this setting in orage. It's just a guess on my part, but I would thing that you would need to set it up in the orage preferences separately.
jpup

PostPosted: Tue 27 Nov 2012, 03:49    Post subject:  

elroy wrote:
jpup wrote:

I'd be the wrong person to ask about this since I've never had to change this setting in orage. It's just a guess on my part, but I would thing that you would need to set it up in the orage preferences separately.

thanks elroy, that's probably the case with orage.
anyway I've managed to embed all my settings in the custom ISO I had built so it's not really a big deal. I've also converted my apps to sfs and my settings load along with them, and I don't use savefiles anymore. Updating settings is quite easy with the delta file utility Very Happy.
The only things I'm missing now are... Internet Download Manager, xunlei, and silverlight/moonlight.

About time zones, I wonder how people deal with different time zones like for example... If you work or study in a neighboring state or city with an earlier time. while living in a city with a later time. Do they always end up being late? Smile
Page 29 of 110 [1643 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, ..., 108, 109, 110 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: