Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Colonel Panic

#406 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just tried Carolina 001 and I was impressed; it looks good and works well. I look forward to testing 003 soon.

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

rg66

#407 Post by rg66 »

After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.

I've made a pet to add it or just dl the tar.gz and add it manually.
Attachments
tumbler-cache-plugin.pet
(388 Bytes) Downloaded 542 times
tumbler-cache-plugin.tar.gz
(142 Bytes) Downloaded 515 times
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Tuxified

#408 Post by Tuxified »

rg66 wrote:After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.

I've made a pet to add it or just dl the tar.gz and add it manually.

Used your .pet and it worked just fine.
Thank you!

yr1945

#409 Post by yr1945 »

Elroy & Geoffrey......

THANK YOU for the feedback... as you suggested, I am now using "lina-lite"...

Because I use very few apps... I always go for the smallest puppy OS... and, for some reason... keep trying to make them even smaller (LOL)...

Anyway, Carolina and lina-lite are excellent distros... keep up the great work...

linux

#410 Post by linux »

Please can anyone advise me how to to get VLC player or UMplayer to work on Carolina 003. It seems to be missing some files that were included in 002. I have tried installing all the gst-plugins but it is still not working.

Thanks again for the great work on this project

Wognath

Can Thunar highlight new files?

#411 Post by Wognath »

Rox file manager highlights new files, and even folders containing new files (it bolds the name). This was very useful. Is there any option in Thunar to do this? I can't find it; if someone can confirm that I'm not missing something obvious, I'll submit a feature request to Thunar. Thanks.

Geoffrey

Re: Can Thunar highlight new files?

#412 Post by Geoffrey »

Wognath wrote:Rox file manager highlights new files, and even folders containing new files (it bolds the name). This was very useful. Is there any option in Thunar to do this? I can't find it; if someone can confirm that I'm not missing something obvious, I'll submit a feature request to Thunar. Thanks.
Yes that is handy, but thunar doesn't appear to have a similar feature.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

elroy

#413 Post by elroy »

linux wrote:Please can anyone advise me how to to get VLC player or UMplayer to work on Carolina 003. It seems to be missing some files that were included in 002. I have tried installing all the gst-plugins but it is still not working.
The Carolina 003 adrive includes all of the gst-plugins and UMplayer by default. If it isn't working it may be that you somehow polluted your savefile, or perhaps are using a savefile that you created from 001.

If you're experiencing this behavior after using the custom-builder to rebuild the adrive you'll need to include the mplayer2.pet.

To use VLC you'll need to use the tutorial link and install a compatible graphics driver for your system.

linux

#414 Post by linux »

elroy wrote:
linux wrote:Please can anyone advise me how to to get VLC player or UMplayer to work on Carolina 003. It seems to be missing some files that were included in 002. I have tried installing all the gst-plugins but it is still not working.
The Carolina 003 adrive includes all of the gst-plugins and UMplayer by default. If it isn't working it may be that you somehow polluted your savefile, or perhaps are using a savefile that you created from 001.

If you're experiencing this behavior after using the custom-builder to rebuild the adrive you'll need to include the mplayer2.pet.

To use VLC you'll need to use the tutorial link and install a compatible graphics driver for your system.
Thanks for your help

I will give it a try

umair

#415 Post by umair »

umair wrote:Hi Guys:
I have a question, I want to force Carolina to ask for user name and password at bootup. I did this on lucid and couple of other puppies by deleting the word"--autologin" from the inittab file located in etc directory. I also did this in carolina, but not worked for me as I restarted my system, its hangs in bootup. I was using FRUGAL Installation.
Any Idea?
UMAIR
The issue has been solved. I was deleting "--autologin" instead of "--autologin root". :-). Tried on fresh installation, works fine.
UMAIR

smokey01

#416 Post by smokey01 »

umair wrote:
umair wrote:Hi Guys:
I have a question, I want to force Carolina to ask for user name and password at bootup. I did this on lucid and couple of other puppies by deleting the word"--autologin" from the inittab file located in etc directory. I also did this in carolina, but not worked for me as I restarted my system, its hangs in bootup. I was using FRUGAL Installation.
Any Idea?
UMAIR
The issue has been solved. I was deleting "--autologin" instead of "--autologin root". :-). Tried on fresh installation, works fine.
UMAIR
umair have you tried this on fatdog as there doesn't seem to be a line with "--autologin root" in it.

Bligh

#417 Post by Bligh »

Interesting. Just booted Carolina 3. Got to the desktop on two laptops.
Everything tried so far appears to work. Could not get 1024x768 on a Samsung rv510. It displayed, but was not widescreen. On a Dell 486 laptop the sda1 and sda2 were reversed. sda1 displayed the contents of sda2 and vice versa. Dell has 1gb ram.
Cheers

linux

#418 Post by linux »

Elroy

Thank you for your help

I reformatted my USB stick and Installed the Carolina 3 ISO again. It is now working great with VLC etc all running fine.

umair

#419 Post by umair »

smokey01 wrote:umair have you tried this on fatdog as there doesn't seem to be a line with "--autologin root" in it.
smokey01:
I never used fatdog yet, so not sure about that. Any how I will check and post the results soon.
UMAIR

jpup

#420 Post by jpup »

here is a rundown of my CAROLINA experiences so far on my ASUS 1215B AMD E450

BOOTING (unmodified iso/system files/no ATI drivers)

lina-002 boots to desktop - OK
If Irestart xwindows - sometimes panels get messed up
If I exit to prompt - black/blank screen, can't see the cursor but if you input startx or xwin you go back to desktop and desktop seems OK.

lina-003 boots to desktop - OK
If I restart xwindows - desktop gets misaligned (it sort of moves to the right hand side, the left edge of the desktop moves to the center, and when you move the mouse pointer all the way to the right, it comes out on the left hand side).
If I exit to prompt - black/blank screen, can't see the cursor but if you input startx or xwin you go back to desktop, but desktop is misaligned. So the desktop misalignment can happen to me as soon as I restart xwindows when finishing the personal settings wizard. It's actually difficult to navigate when this happens.

SHUTDOWN - Sometimes hangs during shutdown... it's better to just exit to prompt, input "poweroff" on command prompt... then shutdown is successful. Only problem is, I need to install ATI drivers before I can exit to prompt properly... and it's not easy to do so on carolina 003 due to screen/display issues... as well as extraction errors during the attempt to install.

SLEEP - ASUS 1215B fails to recover from sleep... The 1215B is a bit different from other notebooks, if you fail to recover from sleep, it's difficult to boot up again... sometimes you have to wait for a long time and even remove the battery, before you can successfully boot up again. I'm not sure if this is related to UEFI.

BOOTING part 2 - I first noticed this with carolina 002... I boot from SD card while my external (USB) DVD writer is connected... and the carolina live CD is in the CD tray. Carolina on SD boots... but copies the system files... not from SD... it copies from the CD. This is probably because SD and CD system files have the same names. This also happens with carolina 003... I boot 003 from SD card (SDB1)... but carolina copies files from the HARD DISK (SDA1). This can be troublesome if you are not aware, especially if you are remastering or configuring your system. Your project could get tainted due to a mix-up of your system components. How did I confirm this? Well, I have made many ISO files while I was experimenting. And most of the time I boot a different carolina configuration from SD card while I have another configuration that is also bootable from the HARD DRIVE... And they have the same filenames. Like when I was rebuilding the standard lina 003, it has missing desktop notifications by default... I booted from SD (non modified lina 003 )... when the desktop loaded, I was surprised that the notifications popped up. It turns out that lina 003 copied the files from the HARD DRIVE (the modified one so there are notifications), instead of completely booting from SD. And when I renamed all the system files on the HARD DISK to a ".bak" and booted from SD again, everything became as expected... no notifications again.

PUPSAVECONFIG and SAVING - IF I save my savefile on SD card, I get pupmode 13 which gives me interval options and a save shortcut in the menu, works in pupmode 13 whether I boot from SD, CD, or Hard Drive. If I copy/move the savefile to HARD DRIVE, I lose interval options but I still have save shortcut in the menu.

If I save my savefile on HARD DRIVE, I get pupmode 12, no interval options, no save shortcut.

Sometimes, pupsave seems to fail to catch up with saving events and when I reboot, some changes were not retained.

PERSONAL STORAGE - It gets filled up easily just by changing settings, uninstalling built-in packages by PPM ain't such a good idea since it also adds data to personal storage file, and removing packages via remastering seems to be a more practical strategy.
When you suddenly run out of space, your only option is to increase savefile size, which only happens only after the reboot, and you end up losing whatever that didn't fit.

GRAPHICS CARD DRIVERS - Both lina 002 and lina 003 definitely performed better after installing proprietary drivers. The system also runs a bit cooler. Video playback definitely improved, it also fixed the black/blank prompt issue, as well as the display problems. It was quite easy installing the graphics drivers on lina 002... but it was difficult with lina 003 due to the reasons I have previously mentioned.

FRISBEE and NETWORKING - I actually like frisbee, it has a better interface, easier/faster to scan with. But when it misbehaves... I don't know if it's an issue with WPA supplicant (like in ubuntu and backtrack), an issue with DHCP/DNS, or just plain packet routing errors. Or is it due to changing access points/encryption/etc. My experience with frisbee got better with lina 003 though. It works quite well, but I had to unload/blacklist my internal wifi card first (a very nice option in the networking wizard), so that I'll be able to use my USB wifi card. The change wireless interface in frisbee doesn't seem to function yet(atleast not in my case), so it's not useable when you have more than one wireless interface, all you'll get is "failed to set ssid" error when you try to connect. And regarding DCHP and DNS in frisbee or in Networking... why is it that we can't set specific DNS and have DHCP on at the same time? The auto connect function is quite convenient, but I think there should be an easy/quick option to disable it, since auto connecting or scanning all the time can be bad for battery life. It also makes your machine a potential target for wifi sniffers or hackers, since it's fairly easy to trick a roaming/scanning client into connecting to a fake Access Point. Maybe something similar to the wireless networking in windows 7 would be nice, you save a profile, choose whether it auto scans/connects, or manually connect without the need to enter your passkey since the profile has already been saved. Also, why is it a "RIGHT CLICK" on the frisbee tray icon? Can't it be just a normal LEFT CLICK? I also noticed that frisbee sometimes shows the wrong encryption type in the scan list.

THE CUSTOM BUILDER - Since I moved on to 003, I had better results with the custom builder. But here are somethings I observed.
When lina 003 just came out, and I tried the custom builder, it couldn't find lina-xfce4.

With my recent build sessions, it found and downloaded lina_xfce-4.10.pet with no trouble (more on lina_xfce-4.10.pet later)
I tried rebuilding the standard lina ISO, following the default packages, and not doing any modifications. It says "the latest versions of these packages will be downloaded from the repo" during the packages checklist.

It couldn't find LibraOffice and thunderbird. (Is it really Libr'A'Office or just a typo?)
I'm guessing, it couldn't find these two packages, either because:
1> they were removed from the pets directory in the repo, or
2> they are actually sfs packages, which will be converted to pets during the build, and so the custom builder couldn't locate them in the pets directory because its searching for pets and it doesn't search for sfs packages in the sfs directory.
(but PPM can actually list sfs packages in the sfs directory).
Anyway, it's not a big issue, and I can just put the sfs packages manually, but for other users... this maybe troublesome, if they don't know what to do.
And so, the process continues and it downloads the packages according to the buit-in list. It's supposed to get the updated versions... but it still downloaded firefox 15.0.1 though there's a firefox 16.0.1 in the repo, pup volume monitor 0.1.7 though there's already 0.1.10.
I did this several times, I even added the updated versions and restarted the builder, and it still downloaded the old versions, so I ended up with two different versions of the same apps in the adrive_packages folder :D
And by the way, I always update the PPM package lists before I start building.

Now, there is the missing shared libs stage of the process.
Following the default package list, I got a lot of missing shared libs, though the only modification I did, was replace some packages with newer versions.

libavcodec/libavformat 52/53 were missing. ffmpeg-0.8.12-1-w5.pet has libavformat.so.53 & libavcodec.so.53 but libavformat.so.52 & libavcodec.so.52 are still missing, its probably in the older versions, just a guess.
How could this be? I was just following the default build, and many libs are missing?

File rootfs-complete/usr/lib/thunderbird-16.0.1/components/libmozgnome.so has these missing library files:
libORBit-2.so.0 libgnomevfs-2.so.0
File rootfs-complete/usr/lib/firefox/components/libnkgnomevfs.so has these missing library files:
File rootfs-complete/usr/lib/firefox/components/libmozgnome.so has these missing library files:
File rootfs-complete/usr/libexec/xfce4/panel-plugins/xfce4-orageclock-plugin has these missing library files:
libxfce4panel-1.0.so.3
File rootfs-complete/usr/java/lib/i386/fxavcodecplugin-52.so has these missing library files:
libavformat.so.52 libavcodec.so.52
File rootfs-complete/usr/java/lib/i386/fxavcodecplugin-53.so has these missing library files:
libavformat.so.53 libavcodec.so.53
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/kdebe1.uno.so has these missing library files:
libqt-mt.so.3 libkdecore.so.4 libkdeui.so.4 libkio.so.4
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/gconfbe1.uno.so has these missing library files:
libORBit-2.so.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/postgresql-sdbc-impl.uno.so has these missing library files:
libkrb5.so.3 libgssapi_krb5.so.2
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/libvclplug_kdelo.so has these missing library files:
libqt-mt.so.3 libkdecore.so.4 libkdeui.so.4
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/ucpgvfs1.uno.so has these missing library files:
libORBit-2.so.0 libbonobo-activation.so.4 libgnomevfs-2.so.0
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/kdefilepicker has these missing library files:
libkio.so.4 libqt-mt.so.3 libkdecore.so.4 libkdeui.so.4
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/python-core-2.6.1/lib/lib-dynload/gdbm.so has these missing library files:
libgdbm.so.2
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/python-core-2.6.1/lib/lib-dynload/readline.so has these missing library files:
libreadline.so.4
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/python-core-2.6.1/lib/lib-dynload/dbm.so has these missing library files:
libgdbm.so.2
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/python-core-2.6.1/lib/lib-dynload/_bsddb.so has these missing library files:
libdb-4.2.so
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/libkab1lo.so has these missing library files:
libqt-mt.so.3 libkdecore.so.4 libkdeui.so.4
File rootfs-complete/opt/libreoffice3.6/program/libkabdrv1lo.so has these missing library files:
libkabc.so.1 libqt-mt.so.3 libkdecore.so.4 libkdeui.so.4

Anyway, I still managed to build :D

Back to lina_xfce-4.10
I think it was last week, based on the conversations in the lina lite thread, Elroy made revisions/updates to the lina_xfce-4.10.pet.
I tried installing that pet on my standard lina 003 system, it fixed the missing desktop notifications, and the sensors plugin was working again. But there were some side effects:
1> the notifications settings entry in the control panel gives error when launched, so you still need to install xfce4-notifyd-0.2.2-i486.pet
2> in panel preferences, items had missing icons
3> the shutdown entry in the menus disappeared.

But when including this lina_xfce-4.10.pet in my ISO build, and it seems to work, and I didn't lose my shutdown shortcut, but still, the notifications settings entry in control panel gives an error. So xfce4-notifyd-0.2.2-i486.pet still needs to be installed.

Elroy made another recent revision to the lina_xfce-4.10.pet, dated nov. 21, and if I'm not mistaken, it supposedly includes xfce4-notifyd.

I tested it out, and included it in the ISO build, it worked, notifications were back, no missing shutdown shortcut, sensors plugin working, but still, notifications settings in control panel had errors.

I examined the lina_xfce-4.10.pet and compared it to the standalone xfce4-notifyd pet, and I found missing files.

root/.config/xfce4/xfconf/xfce-perchannel-xml/xfce4-notifyd.xml

usr/bin/xfce4-notifyd-config

usr/share/themes = Black Blue Brown Default Green Orange Pink Purple Red Smoke White Yellow folders (gtkc color themes)

and these differences:
xfce-notifyd -> usr/share/applications/xfce4-notifyd-config.desktop = Notification Settings

lina_xfce-4.10 -> usr/share/applications/xfce4-notifyd-config.desktop = Notifications

So, I modified the lina_xfce-4.10 and added the missing elements and included it in my ISO build. It worked. I also added the missing tumbler-cache-plugin.so (credits to rg66 for finding the problem and the solution) to the respective location in the lina_xfce-4.10 package, and it works :D It also works if manually installed as pet.

I also made a pet package for AMD Catalyst 12.10 drivers (AMD E Series APU) if anyone needs it.

AMD_Catalyst_12_10_AMD_E_Series_APU_carolina_3_2_13_ski.jpup.pet

AMD_Catalyst_12_10_AMD_E_Series_APU_carolina_3_2_13_ski.jpup.pet-md5.text

here's carolina 003 running virtualbox with another carolina 003 running inside virtualbox playing online video with midori :D
Last edited by jpup on Tue 18 Dec 2012, 13:49, edited 2 times in total.

Geoffrey

Java update

#421 Post by Geoffrey »

Java has been updated in the PPM to jre-1.7u9-i586, the Firefox java plugin no longer works since the Firefox 17.0 update.

To update refresh the PPM and install the latest jre-1.7u9-i586, or get it directly from HERE.

If you have Firefox 17.0, then you will then need to select from the Firefox menu, Tools > Add-ons > Plugins and enable the java plugin.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

elroy

#422 Post by elroy »

Just an update, fyi. Geoffrey and I are currently working on 004 and we feel that we're getting closer to releasing it. Much of the things that we're adding have been tested in lina-lite. So far the feedback has been positive (with the exception of jpups issues). What will be included will be the latest version of gtkdialog4 and the latest version of java. We're also planning on having Firefox auto-update.

Also included will be Marv's probepart, which eliminates the hanging upon shutdown that is experienced on many notebooks. Notifications work now, and the panel-mounter works better than before (although it isn't perfected yet). And thumbnails now work correctly in Thunar. Much of the user-feedback has been most helpful. Some of it has been downright wonderful. And then again, a bit of it makes you scratch your head and say, "really?...". Just so you know that changes are coming, but we want to test it a bit more before releasing it. We're still working on figuring out why dragging from the menu and dropping to the desktop removes the icon from the menu rather than copying it; if you happen to figure it out before we do, we'd certainly appreciate hearing from you.

jpup

#423 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:So far the feedback has been positive (with the exception of jpups issues).
HI Elroy, I'm sorry if ever my posts have negative things.
I'm a big fan of carolina...
and I have full respect and admiration to all who are involved in this project.

Thank you for all your work...
I wish all the best for this project

elroy

#424 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:
elroy wrote:So far the feedback has been positive (with the exception of jpups issues).

No, don't be sorry. If everything was all positive, then nothing would get accomplished. Perhaps being concise in the future would be helpful. Responding to a veritable book is time-consuming. I have a full-time job, and two-distros to look after (soon to be three). I'd love to "save the world", but time is precious. I know you mean well, and please don't take offense.

jpup

#425 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:
jpup wrote:

No, don't be sorry. If everything was all positive, then nothing would get accomplished. Perhaps being concise in the future would be helpful. Responding to a veritable book is time-consuming. I have a full-time job, and two-distros to look after (soon to be three). I'd love to "save the world", but time is precious. I know you mean well, and please don't take offense.

none taken :)

but I guess I need to take a break from all this...
I've been spending too much time with carolina... though it can't be helped because getting the best setup takes a lot of time.

december is coming... and so is christmas...
and things are getting busy where I'm at...

can't wait for the new releases... especially when carolina leaves beta

thanks for everything