Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation Device 1082 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: GF110 Board - 12630002 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nvidia: vendor=NVIDIA Corporation

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.64
Direct Rendering Yes

I installed carolina 03 on a desktop pc, installed the proprietary
nvidia driver, and connected a second monitor to it.
Each can have it's own panel,wallpaper,and items on the panel.

It's working well.
Attachments
2monitors.JPG
(79.95 KiB) Downloaded 1517 times

elroy

Re: Carolina

#392 Post by elroy »

Billtoo wrote:I installed carolina 03 on a desktop pc, installed the proprietary
nvidia driver, and connected a second monitor to it.
Each can have it's own panel,wallpaper,and items on the panel.

It's working well.
That's too cool, Billtoo.

charlie6

python: import gtk error

#393 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
got a try using the python2.7.2-i486.pet from Carolina pets repo on dpup exprimo 3.6.2:
even wxPython is running fine.
Got this
# python
Python 2.7.2 (default, Feb 12 2012, 18:36:30)
[GCC 4.3.4] on linux3
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import cairo
>>> import glib
>>> import gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_gtk.so: undefined symbol: gtk_combo_box_set_entry_text_column
>>>
how to fix the import gtk error ? any idea?
thanks for any reply
Charlie

linux

Re: Carolina

#394 Post by linux »

einar wrote:
linux wrote:
einar wrote:How did you get to test / install Carolina ? USB or CD ? The macbook pros CD/DVD rom is defective and i need to use usb flash. and for that to work i needs a folder and som files named EFI on the flash drive. I managed to install ubuntu once. but lost the flash drive and i cant find the how to. And anyways i will mutch rather install Carolina than Ubuntu.
I used rEFIt to run Carolina on a MacBook. I hopes this helps with your problem.
Ive got reeit installed, and now i am confused. I get it up, but how can i boot a linux disto on it. could you pm me ? ive tink im on to somthing useing elilo but im very green on this subjekt.

thanks

Einar
It might be worth trying a program called rufus (Windows) to transfer your Carolina iso to USB stick. It works well and fast. Then when you boot the Mac with rEFIt Carolina will boot from the Penguin (Linux) Icon.

I know nothing about Macs & and I am only just getting into Linux but this method works fine every time on my brothers MacBookPro.

I hope this helps

cthisbear

#395 Post by cthisbear »

loyal

Thanks

#396 Post by loyal »

Just saw carolina project yesterday. Today I tried it. Wow all the things i try to get toe work in puppy are there already except inkscape and gimp. I was amazed to see a gui for grub4dos. (That may be my newbie level of knowledge) I started using puppy about 4 months ago using manna puppy. Been waiting to see the precise version so I can try to input Thai and KOREAN LANGUAGES. Sorry my 6 yr old wants daddy. But I am very impressed and pleased - now lets see if I can get asian languages supported.

Will any precise pet work as wel? do precise built pets only work with percise puppy? I figured out slacko does not or I am doing somethign wrong.

ok MY LITTLE ONE CANT WAIT
wONT TRADE IN BEING A DADDY jUST ONCE IN A WHILE WANT TO ESCAPE.

Sorry about capitls no time to fix

Loyal

smokey01

#397 Post by smokey01 »

cthisbear wrote:Rufus

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Chris.
I wonder how it compares with grub4dos?

Geoffrey

Re: Thanks

#398 Post by Geoffrey »

loyal wrote:Just saw carolina project yesterday. Today I tried it. Wow all the things i try to get toe work in puppy are there already except inkscape and gimp. I was amazed to see a gui for grub4dos. (That may be my newbie level of knowledge) I started using puppy about 4 months ago using manna puppy. Been waiting to see the precise version so I can try to input Thai and KOREAN LANGUAGES. Sorry my 6 yr old wants daddy. But I am very impressed and pleased - now lets see if I can get asian languages supported.

Will any precise pet work as wel? do precise built pets only work with percise puppy? I figured out slacko does not or I am doing somethign wrong.

ok MY LITTLE ONE CANT WAIT
wONT TRADE IN BEING A DADDY jUST ONCE IN A WHILE WANT TO ESCAPE.

Sorry about capitls no time to fix

Loyal
There is inkscape-0.48.0-w5, inkscapelite-0.36.3-w5 and gimp-2.7.1-w5 in the PPM, just type them in the search bar of the PPM and click Find Pets, gimp-2.7.1-1-w5.sfs is in the sfs downloads.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Geoffrey

Re: python: import gtk error

#399 Post by Geoffrey »

charlie6 wrote:Hi,
got a try using the python2.7.2-i486.pet from Carolina pets repo on dpup exprimo 3.6.2:
even wxPython is running fine.
Got this
# python
Python 2.7.2 (default, Feb 12 2012, 18:36:30)
[GCC 4.3.4] on linux3
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> import cairo
>>> import glib
>>> import gtk
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 40, in <module>
from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/_gtk.so: undefined symbol: gtk_combo_box_set_entry_text_column
>>>
how to fix the import gtk error ? any idea?
thanks for any reply
Charlie
Out of curiosity I tried python2.7.2-i486.pet, numpy-1.6.1.pet and mypaint-1.0.0.pet in gray's Precise NOP 5.4.1, it worked.

It's not really a good idea to mix these packages, what works for one may break another.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

rg66

#400 Post by rg66 »

Downloaded 002 and 003 delta files, upgraded 001 to 002 then 002 to 003. Md5 checks out, ready to go!

No issues so far except the same problem as Linalite, no thumbnails. Hope you can sort this out for 004.

Nice job though, thanks!
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

umair

#401 Post by umair »

Hi Guys:
I have a question, I want to force Carolina to ask for user name and password at bootup. I did this on lucid and couple of other puppies by deleting the word"--autologin" from the inittab file located in etc directory. I also did this in carolina, but not worked for me as I restarted my system, its hangs in bootup. I was using FRUGAL Installation.
Any Idea?
UMAIR

yr1945

#402 Post by yr1945 »

just a quick question... how can i get Carolina to boot to GUI without an Adrive? THANKS...

Geoffrey

#403 Post by Geoffrey »

yr1945 wrote:just a quick question... how can i get Carolina to boot to GUI without an Adrive? THANKS...
Create a empty adrv_lina_003.sfs using dir2sfs, it will give an error but should boot.

elroy

#404 Post by elroy »

Geoffrey wrote:
yr1945 wrote:just a quick question... how can i get Carolina to boot to GUI without an Adrive? THANKS...
Create a empty adrv_lina_003.sfs using dir2sfs, it will give an error but should boot.
Actually, with Carolina-002 doing this will work as Geoffrey has suggested (ignore the error messages), but not with 003, as Xfce-4.10 is part of the adrive. What will more than likely happen in 003 is that you get X to display and then lock-up. If you're looking for a minimal adrive I would have to suggest using 'lina-lite, as the adrive in that release only uses the minimal things necessary to get the Xfce desktop running.

jpup

carolina oo3 fix

#405 Post by jpup »

I've been playing with the carolina builder again... I had some successful builds :D

I also rebuilt the carolina 003 iso so that the missing desktop notifications are working by default, it also fixed the sensors plugin issue I had, and the missing notification settings on the control panel. working again all out of the box :D

I also managed to enable thumbnails in thunar :D but I did this with my personal ISO build... I can't remember what I did to get back the thumbnails... I have weak wifi signal right now... I'll try to figure out things... and maybe upload my ISO later :D

I'll be back :D

Colonel Panic

#406 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just tried Carolina 001 and I was impressed; it looks good and works well. I look forward to testing 003 soon.

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

rg66

#407 Post by rg66 »

After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.

I've made a pet to add it or just dl the tar.gz and add it manually.
Attachments
tumbler-cache-plugin.pet
(388 Bytes) Downloaded 542 times
tumbler-cache-plugin.tar.gz
(142 Bytes) Downloaded 515 times
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Tuxified

#408 Post by Tuxified »

rg66 wrote:After some messing around I figured out why thumbnails weren't shown in Thunar. There was a missing cache plugin symlink in /usr/lib/tumbler-1/plugins/cache.

I've made a pet to add it or just dl the tar.gz and add it manually.

Used your .pet and it worked just fine.
Thank you!

yr1945

#409 Post by yr1945 »

Elroy & Geoffrey......

THANK YOU for the feedback... as you suggested, I am now using "lina-lite"...

Because I use very few apps... I always go for the smallest puppy OS... and, for some reason... keep trying to make them even smaller (LOL)...

Anyway, Carolina and lina-lite are excellent distros... keep up the great work...

linux

#410 Post by linux »

Please can anyone advise me how to to get VLC player or UMplayer to work on Carolina 003. It seems to be missing some files that were included in 002. I have tried installing all the gst-plugins but it is still not working.

Thanks again for the great work on this project