Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
wsamh

#331 Post by wsamh »

never mind. I found out that I had to install qt. So it works, but I am not getting sound.

elroy

#332 Post by elroy »

wsamh wrote:never mind. I found out that I had to install qt. So it works, but I am not getting sound.
Must've tried it in a lina-lite or Saluki? Yeah, Carolina has qt built-in, so I didn't put it in as a dependency. If you're not getting sound, I guess it's back to the drawing board. Making mumble is a bugger 'n a half. Thanks for the update.

elroy

Re: carolina 3.6.5 pae kernel

#333 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:still trying out the new 3.6.5 pae kernel

CPU scaling/ACPI tool seems to work

Still no luck with the network wizard

But my rtl8187 seems to work fine with frisbee, probably because it didn't detect my internal broadcom wireless card.

With the standard carolina 002, both my internal and usb cards get detected but, I can only use the internal one. And the only option is to switch to the network wizard...Does sleep work with this kernel? I think I dont want to try :D
Hi jpup, thanks for the feedback. Yes, sleep should work with this kernel.

wsamh

#334 Post by wsamh »

I am using saluki. I am not able to get my nvidia driver to work on carolina. That is the reason for the delay. I follwed the directions on the forum. I even tried to install an older version, but did not work. This is what I got when I did it through the terminal. Hope this will help.

# mumble
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
PulseAudio: Connection failure: Connection refused
G15LCDEngineUnix: Unable to connect to G15Daemon.
Locale is en_US
TextToSpeech: Failed to contact speech dispatcher.
Database SQLite: "3.7.7.1"
Overlay: Listening on "/root/.MumbleOverlayPipe"
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event0: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event1: PixArt USB Optical Mouse
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event2: Power Button
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event3: Sleep Button
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event4: Power Button
AudioInput: 40000 bits/s, 48000 hz, 480 sample CELT
OSSInput: Starting audio capture from /dev/dsp
AudioInput: Initialized mixer for 1 channel 48000 hz mic and 0 channel 48000 hz echo
OSSOutput: Initialized
AudioOutput: Initialized 2 channel 48000 hz mixer
OSSOutput: Starting audio playback to /dev/dsp
OSInfo: Failed to execute lsb_release
warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
OSSInput: Releasing.
OSSOutput: Releasing device
OSSOutput: Destroyed
AudioInput: Initialized mixer for 1 channel 48000 hz mic and 0 channel 48000 hz echo
ALSAAudioInput: Initing audiocapture default.
ALSAAudioInput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 1 channel 4096 samples [1024 per period]
ALSAAudioOutput: Initialized
ALSAAudioOutput: ALSA reports 10000 output channels. Clamping to 2.
ALSAAudioOutput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 2 channel 2886 samples [481 per period]
ALSAAudioOutput: Initializing 2 channel, 48000 hz mixer
File "skin:wb_male.oga" failed to open
File "skin:wb_male.oga" failed to open
ALSAAudioInput: Releasing ALSA Mic.
ALSAAudioOutput: Destroyed
ALSAAudioOutput: Initialized
ALSAAudioInput: Initing audiocapture default.
ALSAAudioInput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 1 channel 4096 samples [1024 per period]
ALSAAudioOutput: ALSA reports 10000 output channels. Clamping to 2.
ALSAAudioOutput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 2 channel 2886 samples [481 per period]
ALSAAudioOutput: Initializing 2 channel, 48000 hz mixer

[/code]

jpup

Re: carolina 3.6.5 pae kernel

#335 Post by jpup »

Actually, I accidentally tried it last night...

It was permanent :D couldn't recover from sleep

though I had C6 mode off in the bios

elroy

#336 Post by elroy »

Just a FYI here...make sure to check the news, recent repo additions, and how-to's links on the first post of this thread. There you'll find a new tutorial, some recent additions to the repo, and the news page has been updated.

I've recompiled the 3.6.5 kernel to include a few more modules along with support for the math co-processor. If your computer supports it it'll use it; if not, it'll emulate it.

We've also decided that in the near future, probably within the next couple releases, that we'll be forking Carolina into two branches, One branch will be the full-blown Carolina that is currently offered. The other will be a non-PAE 3.6.5 kernel version with the more traditional apps offered by Saluki (with a few possible variations). If this is of interest to you, we'd certainly like to hear your feedback on what applications you think are worthy of inclusion (keep in mind that this version should be geared toward lighter applications, with stability/usability being a high-priority).

jpup

carolina 003

#337 Post by jpup »

Hi elroy...

that's good news

when can we expect the release of 003?

I hope its gonna happen soon :D

I also hope there will be improvements on the network managers...

as well as an application for sharing your internet connection like a soft AP or hotspot.

by the way, battery life ain't lookin too good on carolina :(

I barely get past the 3 hour mark even on power save mode :(

this notebook can last 5.5 hours on power save with win7

and atleast 4 hours on normal settings.

Thanks.

looking forward to 003 :D

Marv

non-PAE Carolina 003

#338 Post by Marv »

We've also decided that in the near future, probably within the next couple releases, that we'll be forking Carolina into two branches, One branch will be the full-blown Carolina that is currently offered. The other will be a non-PAE 3.6.5 kernel version with the more traditional apps offered by Saluki (with a few possible variations). If this is of interest to you, we'd certainly like to hear your feedback on what applications you think are worthy of inclusion (keep in mind that this version should be geared toward lighter applications, with stability/usability being a high-priority).
From my standpoint, you hit the applications pretty darn close with the Carolina 002 non-PAE version. The only apps I added that I'd consider 'basic' or 'essential' were leafpad, galculator, and hardinfo. Everything else is in the repo or strongly influenced by personal preferences. I have absolutely no problem with a no-browser pup, but if it seems to be a sticking point, Midori with a few well chosen bookmarks seems adequate for a bootstrap browser. Actually pretty serviceable at this point.

Been running a manual remaster of 002 non-PAE with Opera, Foxit, Abiword, Fotoxx, and my HP printing crap for a while now with no day-to-day problems on my Pentium M era laptops.

Looking forward to testing an all 4.10 pup. Thanks for the old curmudgeon support!
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

elroy

Re: non-PAE Carolina 003

#339 Post by elroy »

Marv wrote:
From my standpoint, you hit the applications pretty darn close with the Carolina 002 non-PAE version. The only apps I added that I'd consider 'basic' or 'essential' were leafpad, galculator, and hardinfo. Everything else is in the repo or strongly influenced by personal preferences. I have absolutely no problem with a no-browser pup, but if it seems to be a sticking point, Midori with a few well chosen bookmarks seems adequate for a bootstrap browser. Actually pretty serviceable at this point.

Been running a manual remaster of 002 non-PAE with Opera, Foxit, Abiword, Fotoxx, and my HP printing crap for a while now with no day-to-day problems on my Pentium M era laptops.

Looking forward to testing an all 4.10 pup. Thanks for the old curmudgeon support!
Well, that's one vote for the lite format that we already have in place - with a couple added apps.

You certainly have a good point, Marv. Most applications are a highly personal matter of choice. The only way this doesn't work is if someone doesn't have an internet connection and therefore can't access the repository. But I'd be willing to bet the chances of that being the case nowadays are slim to none.

rg66

#340 Post by rg66 »

I'm a big fan of the light version. I'd rather add what I want than try and remove stuff I don't. Also, I don't have to download a full ISO everytime a new version is out when I already have a copy of the apps dl'ed already.

As for people without an internet connection, how did they get the ISO in the first place? :wink:
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Sage

#341 Post by Sage »

I believe you could accurately guess my opinion re. lite, el ! Except, perhaps, lite-r...

If there's any access problem or difficulty with the PPM at any time for any reason, Dillo will always provide a basic link to acquire something more comprehensive. Or Links/e-links?
Last edited by Sage on Thu 08 Nov 2012, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.

yr1945

#342 Post by yr1945 »

yes... my opinion is to keep it really "lite"... i like to add only apps that i will be using... THANKS...

KJ

lite?

#343 Post by KJ »

I agree as I use only a few of the apps in most puppies. If you keep the main .sfs tiny and add the glitz in the Adrive almost everyone can be happy. Thanks for all the time and hard work everyone has put into Carolina. KJ

yerc1

#344 Post by yerc1 »

another vote here for lite especially non-pae.

as well as bringing my pentium m laptop back to life, carolina non-pae lite (npl) led to my discovery of the awesome gnewpet utility.

i created pet packages in saluki and installed them in carolina npl - galculator, geany, abiword, gnumeric, aiksaurus, gcolor, gstpw, hardinfo, lsalarm, mhwaveedit, mtpaint, orage, pupcamera, remmina, ristretto.
each one of the 'gnewpetted' packages had libgphoto2 as dependency, so i was of the impression (and i could be wrong here) carolina npl's builtin list should include libgphoto2.

thanks for carolina

elroy

#345 Post by elroy »

Due to firmware issues, the new kernel will not be included in v.003. It's taking too long to sort the issues out; 003 has already been delayed, and to put it on hold indefinitely isn't productive at this point. And to release it with the new kernel issues sorted out wouldn't be desirable, either. We certainly don't want a repeat of what happened with v.001.

It sounds like more than a few of you are interested in the lite version, so instead of forking carolina to create a version that has the saluki default apps, perhaps it may be a better idea to split carolina into two separate versions - one for the current carolina that provides a usable OOTB experience (and Puppy introductory distro) intended for new users, and the other that is the lite version. Any objections to doing it that way?

Sage

#346 Post by Sage »

You're the boss!
If you decide to go ahead with lite, non-pae, it would be worthwhile your effort to lighten it as far as possible, accompanied by an explanatory start-up page (text is an inconsequential resource requirement).

Minnesota

Full or light version

#347 Post by Minnesota »

....."... one for the current carolina that provides a usable OOTB experience (and Puppy introductory distro) intended for new users, and the other that is the lite version...."

Just a vote for a complete version, more complete the better! Yes, I know it is big. Many folks have high speed internet and do not want to download a lot of extra. Most newer machines have tons of memory so that is not an issue either. If it is not to difficult to have both Lite and Full versions. I think this is most desirable. Wide range of users of Puppy!

Thanks,

okwellthen

adjust backlight - is there any way

#348 Post by okwellthen »

...noob question: is there a utility for adjusting backlighting (dimming) like you can in heavy weight distros????

thanks in advance

elroy

Re: adjust backlight - is there any way

#349 Post by elroy »

okwellthen wrote:...is there a utility for adjusting backlighting (dimming)
like you can in heavy weight distros????
Right click on the power icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen (depending on your setting, it'll either be a red, yellow or blue lightning bolt). In the popup that displays choose 'Hardware Control'. A dialog will show, and one of the tabs is 'Backlight'. From there you can adjust the setting.

okwellthen

Re: adjust backlight - is there any way

#350 Post by okwellthen »

elroy wrote:Right click on the power icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen (depending on your setting, it'll either be a red, yellow or blue lightning bolt). In the popup that displays choose 'Hardware Control'. A dialog will show, and one of the tabs is 'Backlight'. From there you can adjust the setting.
! very kind of you to answer, and so soon ! VERY EXCITED about that...

ONE MORE: [looking for pup that is very stable, decently configurable, for full time use] What kind of memory consumption with PAE should I be looking forward to (with Wine and VBox in mind)????

THANKS VERY MUCH!