Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jpup

carolina custom builder

#316 Post by jpup »

I tried my custom ISO...

Aw! I failed again! :(

Don't actually know what went wrong...

It boots... but I get a blank/black?/empty desktop after the boot menu.

During the build process I opted to include my configurations and settings...

I also opted to boot straight to desktop.

I guess I have to try again... If I get this right, and if I understood the concept correctly, then I'll have my own custom express gate with all my settings preloaded :D

By the way, I remember, the broadcom wl delta package was also one of the things it couldn't find when I was doing my previous build.

good thing I'm not burning things to disk right away, otherwise, what a waste :D

Thanks

I'll just keep on trying :D

excited about carolina 003

p.s. How do I unmount an ISO with Thunar? I get write errors when copying the files from the finished ISO because it's mounted, and I have to reboot so I could do my thing...

Thanks again

peebee

Re: carolina custom builder

#317 Post by peebee »

jpup wrote:By the way, I remember, the broadcom wl delta package was also one of the things it couldn't find when I was doing my previous build
Hi jpup

I don't much about the Carolina custom builder having never tried to use it :?

but I am wondering whether my Broadcom wl delta mechanism is compatible with it following your post.....

The delta pet is only used once - when the Broadcom-STA wl multi-kernel driver pet is loaded. It can actually be removed once the driver pet has been loaded and the pinstall.sh has run to dynamically create the driver for the particular kernel.

So I guess the question I don't know the answer to is - when is the pinstall.sh in a pet run in the custom builder? and how are things sequenced if one pet has a dependency on another being loaded first?

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jpup

Re: carolina custom builder

#318 Post by jpup »

peebee wrote:
jpup wrote:By the way, I remember, the broadcom wl delta package was also one of the things it couldn't find when I was doing my previous build
Hi jpup

I don't much about the Carolina custom builder having never tried to use it :?

but I am wondering whether my Broadcom wl delta mechanism is compatible with it following your post.....

The delta pet is only used once - when the Broadcom-STA wl multi-kernel driver pet is loaded. It can actually be removed once the driver pet has been loaded and the pinstall.sh has run to dynamically create the driver for the particular kernel.

So I guess the question I don't know the answer to is - when is the pinstall.sh in a pet run in the custom builder? and how are things sequenced if one pet has a dependency on another being loaded first?

Cheers
peebee
Hi! there peebee

I tried building one again, just now... And the only thing it couldn't locate was the carolina-updater...

It seems that what it looks for depends on what you still have on your existing setup, well that's what I think it does. I remember in my previous builds when I didn't remove anything... It looks for everything.

Actually, a lot of things are unclear right now, especially after my series of failed attempts to build a custom ISO.

Based on the sequence of the process, it first tries to download the packages that it sees on your running system that came originally with the ISO. Meaning, packages you haven't removed yet.

After all packages have been downloaded, then it checks for dependencies, libs etc. And I don't really know if it will actually look for the missing elements (and how), but I remember in the past that it did detect something missing, and it attempted to search for it, and even prompted me for a retry...
But once a failure happens... I guess you cannot revert.

If you compare that to puppy precise's way of handling packages, precise really tries to find what's missing, and you can always retry on a failed attempt to download a package.

The process can actually be confusing, especially with the lack of options, and some parts of the process dont even give a clear visual clue of what its actually doing, like when the gtk dialogs would suddenly disappear, would pop up again after a minute or two.

I failed again, same issue, got past the boot process but my desktop was all black. And I was hoping to hear the dog bark.

I guess in reality, I don't actually know what I'm doing.
Like in the part where you could add packages to the a_drive folder... It is unclear to me whether you still need to add the package of an app you've installed already in your system. Like in my case... I installed midori... but it didn'nt seem to have downloaded the midori package during the process, and so I thought I should add It myself.

Anyway, I really hope I can manage this, and successfully create my custom buid.

My goal is to have my settings and customizations preloaded so I will have someting I can boot or shutdown without having to deal with save files, and other drives. something that's like read only but already has my setup by default.

I'll just try again :D

Thanks

Montchalin

Re: xfce4-panel-plugin-mount

#319 Post by Montchalin »

Thanks Elroy! I've got my desktop icons back. I had minimized them.

jpup

desktop screenshot

#320 Post by jpup »

here's a screenshot of my carolina setup :D

xfce transparency effects, no compiz

what do you guys think? :D

merry christmas :D

okokoook

Re: desktop screenshot

#321 Post by okokoook »

jpup wrote:here's a screenshot of my carolina setup :D

nice looking desktop.

since carolina version is so excellent, i am trying to localize it in Chinese to let more people get familiar with puppy linux and enjoy the joy of it. here is some tip i have used when using locale with utf8 and non-en-us lang

i found that if i modified the locale to zh_CN.utf8, there would be a error message when using mplayer to watch video. my solution to that is to go to /root/.mplayer(if you do not have this folder, then just create one) and type

Code: Select all

fontconfig=no
into the config file, that will solve the

mplayer interrupted by signal 6: unknown
error, and mplayer will be back to work.

or you can simply type in the following command in terminal

mplayer -nofontconfig nameofyourvideo
the reason why i put this information here is just in case that some other carolina users whose locale is also with uft8 and other than en_US are experiencing the same issue over mplayer, i hope this would help.

by the way, this also applies to saluki puppy linux version

regards

michael

jpup

#322 Post by jpup »

okokoook wrote:
jpup wrote:here's a screenshot of my carolina setup :D

nice looking desktop.

since carolina version is so excellent, i am trying to localize it in Chinese to let more people get familiar with puppy linux and enjoy the joy of it. here is some tip i have used when using locale with utf8 and non-en-us lang

i found that if i modified the locale to zh_CN.utf8, there would be a error message when using mplayer to watch video. my solution to that is to go to /root/.mplayer(if you do not have this folder, then just create one) and type

fontconfig=no
into the config file, that will solve the

mplayer interrupted by signal 6: unknown
error, and mplayer will be back to work.

or you can simply type in the following command in terminal

mplayer -nofontconfig nameofyourvideo
the reason why i put this information here is just in case that some other carolina users whose locale is also with uft8 and other than en_US are experiencing the same issue over mplayer, i hope this would help.

by the way, this also applies to saluki puppy linux version

regards

michael
wow! thanks :D

any chance to get xunlei working?

I tried the portable xunlei 5 mod with wine but it didn't work...

I guess kankan player won't work as well

okokoook

#323 Post by okokoook »

yeah, i also have trouble with it. no clue for that so far. i also found that when using audacious, i often could not resume the play after pausing the music. does anyone else have this similar situation with audacious?

michael

jpup

#324 Post by jpup »

okokoook wrote:

yeah, i also have trouble with it. no clue for that so far. i also found that when using audacious, i often could not resume the play after pausing the music. does anyone else have this similar situation with audacious?

michael
well, I haven't tried audacious... I just use umplayer, a bit buggy at times... and quite slow for video on my system... but works well with online radio.

I also got AIMP working on wine... AIMP was my favorite music and streaming radio player while I was on MS Win...
I wish umplayer had the OSD info bar like on AIMP

elroy

new PAE 3.6.5 kernel for carolina

#325 Post by elroy »

I've compiled a 3.6.5 PAE kernel for carolina that needs testing. If you're handy with the custom-builder and can swap out kernels, your feedback would be most appreciated. You can get it from here - linux_kernel-3.6.5-lina-pae.pet.

The source.sfs and header.pet is in the repo if you need it.

This may delay the release of 003 for a bit as we'd like to include it in 003 if it proves stable. And if it does, a non-PAE version will follow for the lina-lite-003.
Last edited by elroy on Fri 09 Nov 2012, 14:44, edited 1 time in total.

jpup

Re: new PAE 3.6.5 kernel for carolina

#326 Post by jpup »

elroy wrote:I've compiled a 3.6.5 PAE kernel for carolina that needs testing. If you're handy with the custom-builder and can swap out kernels, your feedback would be most appreciated. You can get it from here - linux_kernel-3.6.5-lina-pae.pet.

The source.sfs and header.pet is in the repo if you need it.

This may delay the release of 003 for a bit as we'd like to include it in 003 if it proves stable. And if it does, a non-PAE version will follow for the lina-lite-003.

hi elroy

got your kernel loaded

built an iso from the default carolina 002 live cd...

just changed the kernel... didn't do any changes to the adrive.

It produced a 398.2 MB ISO

loaded it up from an SD card with grub4dos on my asus 1215B (AMD E450)

It was a clean boot... I didn't load any savefiles from other sessions.

Looks ok, audio works...

Fired up network wizard....

it detected LAN but I don't have a chance to test.

it couldn't detect my internal broadcom wifi card...

it detected my rtl8187 though, but it's not working...

tried reloading the modules but no luck :D

simple network setup shows an "X" on the interface BUS and DESCRIPTION

I've attached a screenshot from sys info

Later
Attachments
365kernel_sysinfo.png
kernel 3.6.5 sys info
(126.27 KiB) Downloaded 412 times

jpup

carolina 3.6.5 pae kernel

#327 Post by jpup »

still trying out the new 3.6.5 pae kernel

CPU scaling/ACPI tool seems to work

Still no luck with the network wizard

But my rtl8187 seems to work fine with frisbee, probably because it didn't detect my internal broadcom wireless card.

With the standard carolina 002, both my internal and usb cards get detected but, I can only use the internal one. And the only option is to switch to the network wizard.

I am also getting the black screen whenever I try to exit to prompt/ctrl+alt+backspace. Its the same situation with the standard carolina 002. Just a black screen, but it seems that you can actually input commands although you can't see it, because if you enter xwin it goes back to the desktop.So I just boot with the "nox" parameter when I need to go to prompt, like when I install my ATI drivers.

By the way, after installing the ATI drivers on the standard carolina 002, exit to prompt works properly. But I haven't tried it with this kernel yet.

And for those who have the same notebook as mine (asus 1215B)...
I know the linux community usually recommends us to go with the open source drivers... but you should really try and install the ATI drivers... such a big difference in performance with carolina after installing... 1080p now works smoothly with umplayer. I'm using the latest from AMD.

Does sleep work with this kernel? I think I dont want to try :D

Thanks

Later

Geoffrey

TransferMe and KontrolPack

#328 Post by Geoffrey »

Compiled TransferMe-1.0.2beta
TransferMe 1.0.2 beta 2011 Sep 15 //-------------------------------------------------- OVERVIEW: This program helps you to share files over the network. It can send or receive either files and folders(including sub-folders and files), and also has a nice looking and user-friendly interface.
and KontrolPack-3.0.0,
KontrolPack is a cross-platform network controller. The objective is to improve system interoperability by connecting computers, regardless of their operating system. Remote access, remote shell, file transfer, etc...
Edit: I've added these to the repo, they appear to be working as expected, nice, will be extremely handy for moving files between PC's.
Attachments
TransferMe.jpg
(48.89 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
TransferMe-1.0.2beta.pet
(113.94 KiB) Downloaded 387 times
kontrolpack.jpg
(37.54 KiB) Downloaded 776 times
Last edited by Geoffrey on Tue 06 Nov 2012, 08:24, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

wsamh

#329 Post by wsamh »

@elroy

Sorry for the long delay. I just tried mumble 1.2.4 that you gave to me earlier and I get this:

mumble: error while loading shared libraries: libQtDBus.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

jpup

3.6.5 pae kernel

#330 Post by jpup »

something weird just happened...

I had control panel opened in the background...

suddenly the icon style changed... also some entries suddenly disappeared... like pupsaveconfig...

then I closed the panel and opened it up again... and things were back to how they were

3.6.5 pae kernel

wsamh

#331 Post by wsamh »

never mind. I found out that I had to install qt. So it works, but I am not getting sound.

elroy

#332 Post by elroy »

wsamh wrote:never mind. I found out that I had to install qt. So it works, but I am not getting sound.
Must've tried it in a lina-lite or Saluki? Yeah, Carolina has qt built-in, so I didn't put it in as a dependency. If you're not getting sound, I guess it's back to the drawing board. Making mumble is a bugger 'n a half. Thanks for the update.

elroy

Re: carolina 3.6.5 pae kernel

#333 Post by elroy »

jpup wrote:still trying out the new 3.6.5 pae kernel

CPU scaling/ACPI tool seems to work

Still no luck with the network wizard

But my rtl8187 seems to work fine with frisbee, probably because it didn't detect my internal broadcom wireless card.

With the standard carolina 002, both my internal and usb cards get detected but, I can only use the internal one. And the only option is to switch to the network wizard...Does sleep work with this kernel? I think I dont want to try :D
Hi jpup, thanks for the feedback. Yes, sleep should work with this kernel.

wsamh

#334 Post by wsamh »

I am using saluki. I am not able to get my nvidia driver to work on carolina. That is the reason for the delay. I follwed the directions on the forum. I even tried to install an older version, but did not work. This is what I got when I did it through the terminal. Hope this will help.

# mumble
socket(): Address family not supported by protocol
PulseAudio: Connection failure: Connection refused
G15LCDEngineUnix: Unable to connect to G15Daemon.
Locale is en_US
TextToSpeech: Failed to contact speech dispatcher.
Database SQLite: "3.7.7.1"
Overlay: Listening on "/root/.MumbleOverlayPipe"
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event0: AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event1: PixArt USB Optical Mouse
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event2: Power Button
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event3: Sleep Button
GlobalShortcutX: /dev/input/event4: Power Button
AudioInput: 40000 bits/s, 48000 hz, 480 sample CELT
OSSInput: Starting audio capture from /dev/dsp
AudioInput: Initialized mixer for 1 channel 48000 hz mic and 0 channel 48000 hz echo
OSSOutput: Initialized
AudioOutput: Initialized 2 channel 48000 hz mixer
OSSOutput: Starting audio playback to /dev/dsp
OSInfo: Failed to execute lsb_release
warning: The VAD has been replaced by a hack pending a complete rewrite
OSSInput: Releasing.
OSSOutput: Releasing device
OSSOutput: Destroyed
AudioInput: Initialized mixer for 1 channel 48000 hz mic and 0 channel 48000 hz echo
ALSAAudioInput: Initing audiocapture default.
ALSAAudioInput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 1 channel 4096 samples [1024 per period]
ALSAAudioOutput: Initialized
ALSAAudioOutput: ALSA reports 10000 output channels. Clamping to 2.
ALSAAudioOutput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 2 channel 2886 samples [481 per period]
ALSAAudioOutput: Initializing 2 channel, 48000 hz mixer
File "skin:wb_male.oga" failed to open
File "skin:wb_male.oga" failed to open
ALSAAudioInput: Releasing ALSA Mic.
ALSAAudioOutput: Destroyed
ALSAAudioOutput: Initialized
ALSAAudioInput: Initing audiocapture default.
ALSAAudioInput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 1 channel 4096 samples [1024 per period]
ALSAAudioOutput: ALSA reports 10000 output channels. Clamping to 2.
ALSAAudioOutput: Actual buffer 48000 hz, 2 channel 2886 samples [481 per period]
ALSAAudioOutput: Initializing 2 channel, 48000 hz mixer

[/code]

jpup

Re: carolina 3.6.5 pae kernel

#335 Post by jpup »

Actually, I accidentally tried it last night...

It was permanent :D couldn't recover from sleep

though I had C6 mode off in the bios