Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

#271 Post by Geoffrey »

Uploaded these java apps to the repo

• drawswf - swf creator

• pixelitor - image editor

• charmap - Display Characters and Copy to System Clipboard, see sample below.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

linux

#272 Post by linux »

Just looked on the news page. The Xdelta utility sounds like a great idea.

Thanks again to everyone involved with Carolina

gcmartin

Problems saving session via PupSaveConfig to DVD

#273 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks for your replies. The 2 of you have made an excellent contribution to this community.

muCommander
thanks for adding that JAVA app, muCommander. I'm sure that some of us welcome this tool for file-folder manipulation, comparisons, balancing and corrections.

Patch
I started tests of Carolina at the 002 level. I noticed a "lina Patcher" on my desktop and was wondering on its timing and use. And, I had noticed on the Smokey01 site the folder for patches, as well. This is what prompted my questions.

FirstRUN
I want to THANK YOU for Shinobar's FirstRUN utility you use. This does everything, all in a single scree!n, for my startup needs in the local desktop and initial LAN needs. Simple,quick, and to the point. Thanks

PupSaveConfig
As a Live media user, I did run into usability issues with PupSaveConfig in 002. The screen info is misleading, and my efforts to save the session is having some difficulty on reboot in finding the saved session.

I wasn't sure if this should be addressed in this thread or if it should be directed to the PupSaveConfig thread. My intent simply surrounds booting the multi-session Live media, tailoring desktop needs, use and test, and finally saving all work back onto the Live media for subsequent reboot and use. Nothing fancy..But, as mentioned, the save to DVD is not generating expected results to support reboot with last session changes.

PLEASE PM me with what you recommend about PupSaveConfig.

Here to help
Attachments
FirstRUN_PersonlaizeSettings.png
This does everything that my system startup needs in a single screen. Thanks
(34.66 KiB) Downloaded 1158 times
PupSaveConfig.png
The screen's info does NOT match the OPTIONS FOR USE.
(21.36 KiB) Downloaded 1195 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 20:18, edited 2 times in total.

KJ

PupSaveConfig 2.2.2

#274 Post by KJ »

I seldom have tried Puppy live multisession and have had mixed results. However, PupSaveConfig 2.2.2 has a problem when running frugal install from a flash drive and the save interval is set to "0" (should save only manually and when prompted at shutdown). It still saves auto saves every 30 minutes unless line 9 of pup_event_frontend_d is also set to:

Code: Select all

[ "$RAMSAVEINTERVAL" = "" ] && RAMSAVEINTERVAL=0 #412
There is some discussion about this issue starting on page 219 of the Saluki Forum. PupSaveConfig 2.2.4 may have corrected this problem. Interestingly, this autosave problem has only appeared in Saluki and now Carolina002 .... I have ran several other Puppy Derivatives without autosave problems ..... Thanks for your continued work on Carolina .... I like the modular approach offered with Adrive. Thanks again .. KJ
Last edited by KJ on Wed 24 Oct 2012, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

KJ

Frisbee issue

#275 Post by KJ »

I also have not been able to get Frisbee tray epplet to show any network activity. I run eth0 just find but there is no indication of connection or activity from Fresbee on the tray. Thanks ..KJ

elroy

Re: Problems saving session via PupSaveConfig to DVD

#276 Post by elroy »

gcmartin wrote:I want to THANK YOU for Shinobar's FirstRUN utility you use. This does everything, all in a single scree!n, for my startup needs in the local desktop and initial LAN needs. Simple,quick, and to the point.
Carolina 003 will have an added button to configure the firewall from the FirstRUN utility.
gcmartin wrote:As a Live media user, I did run into usability issues with PupSaveConfig in 002. The screen info is misleading, and my efforts to save the session is having some difficulty on reboot in finding the saved session.
I'm currently testing version 2.2.4 of the PupSaveConfig. Hopefully that will help with what you're experiencing. As far as the screen info being misleading, you're correct. It should read 'Control Panel > System > PupSaveConfig personal storage setup'.

elroy

Re: Frisbee issue

#277 Post by elroy »

KJ wrote:I also have not been able to get Frisbee tray epplet to show any network activity. I run eth0 just find but there is no indication of connection or activity from Fresbee on the tray.
Does this happen even after rebooting?
Have you been using the Internet Connection Wizard, also? Or just Frisbee?

cthisbear

#278 Post by cthisbear »

" Sometimes....very infrequently in Frisbee you have to

>> delete your profiles

Restart

>> Hit Connect

Frisbee starts...

Select >> Wireless Diagnostics

Select Ap_scan

Change the >> Ap_scan Parameter

from 1 to >> 2
for a better connection to a hidden network

Exit Frisbee

Hit Connect >> Frisbee starts...>>

Hit Wireless Network refresh

A few moments later...networks reappear

Fill in your details...and Frisbee connects.

Chris.

mavrothal

Re: Frisbee issue

#279 Post by mavrothal »

KJ wrote:I also have not been able to get Frisbee tray epplet to show any network activity. I run eth0 just find but there is no indication of connection or activity from Fresbee on the tray. Thanks ..KJ
I have a similar problem but that's because frisbee_tray runs before the connection is established. Decreasing the sleep time in /etc/init.d/Frisbee or increasing sleep time in /root/Startup/frisbee_tray fixes that.
Does just running frisbee at a later point fixes the tray icon?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

okokoook

#280 Post by okokoook »

hi i am currently using the carolina 002, everything looks fine. i see the default action of opening the folder in thunar is by single click with underlining the folder name in shadow. i was just wondering could anyone tell me how to config the action back to double click opening the folder with no shadow and underline.

thank you in advance.

michael

Geoffrey

#281 Post by Geoffrey »

okokoook wrote:hi i am currently using the carolina 002, everything looks fine. i see the default action of opening the folder in thunar is by single click with underlining the folder name in shadow. i was just wondering could anyone tell me how to config the action back to double click opening the folder with no shadow and underline.

thank you in advance.

michael
Thunar Edit > Preferences > Behavior
Attachments
single_double_click.jpg
(43.13 KiB) Downloaded 1028 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

okokoook

#282 Post by okokoook »

Geoffrey wrote:
okokoook wrote:hi i am currently using the carolina 002, everything looks fine. i see the default action of opening the folder in thunar is by single click with underlining the folder name in shadow. i was just wondering could anyone tell me how to config the action back to double click opening the folder with no shadow and underline.

thank you in advance.

michael
Thunar Edit > Preferences > Behavior
thank you Geoffrey, carolina is an excellent work, i am looking forward to Carolina 003. :P

Wognath

boots to black screen

#283 Post by Wognath »

elroy, Geoffrey and all,
A frugal install of Carolina on my Lenovo netbook gets to "loading kernel modules", then the screen goes black. No response to blind typing "xorgwizard", "reboot" etc. I have tried 002 full and both lite versions with the same result. This is probably a peculiarity of my processor (VIA Nano U2250 - PAE) since I had almost the same problem with some versions of Fatdog (500 and 600 don't work, 520 does!?!) If you have any ideas, I'll give them a try, but this is mostly fyi--it's an oddball processor and maybe a later version will magically work!

Carolina runs on my daughter's computer, which has an Atom processor, so I'll be able to try it out there. So far, it looks great. Thanks.

KJ

Frisbee-tray

#284 Post by KJ »

elroy and all .... Thanks for the responses. I run frugal installs from USB/SD flashdrives and eth0 networking on this box. Carolina002 found eth0 OOTB. connected and runs great in the auto-DHCP mode. Frisbee-tray shows two white monitor that do not blink nor do stats show in the mouse over tool-tip box. Increasing the sleep time in startup/frisbee-tray has no effect. Saves and reboots have no effect.

If I pull the eth0 cable and set up the wifi ... Frisbee works great with correct white/green antenna icon and stats with a mouse over.

If I set up eth0 networking with the wizard ... the tray icon changes to a globe-monitor icon and displays properly. Looks like it's strictly a Frisbee issue so I'll post to that forum page. Thanks to all .... KJ

elroy

ene sdcard

#285 Post by elroy »

yerc1 wrote:Is there a chance to have Carolina support for the ENE sdcard reader?
It appears a solution has been found for this issue thanks to yerc1's help with testing. If you have this hardware on your system it would be most helpful if you could test this pet and report your results - ene_lina-0.1.pet. Thanks.

Marv

xfce4-panel-plugin-mount

#286 Post by Marv »

Does anyone else not see inserted USB drives in the panel-plugin-mount unless they are mounted? The show up both on the desktop and in thunar and mount and unmount fine. As soon as unmounted, even if from the plugin itself they disappear from the plugin before being removed! sda1 and sda2 (ide) are fine. Vfat and Ext2 USB drives behave the same. Starting USB modeswitch or not makes no difference.

I know Geoffrey had a post on this in the Saluki forum but it wasn't resolved there so far as I know. I've tried several versions, currently running 5.5 and googled to no avail. This is true in Saluki 023 and in Carolina 002 non-PAE lite. Seems to me it did work in Saluki 021 but I'll have to boot that to check. Is it logical to assume this is a 4.8 to 4.10 growing pain? If so, I can certainly wait it out.

Of course pmount works from the panel just fine but the interface of the xfce4 plugin is just enough better to make me wish it worked.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Geoffrey

Re: xfce4-panel-plugin-mount

#287 Post by Geoffrey »

Marv wrote:Does anyone else not see inserted USB drives in the panel-plugin-mount unless they are mounted? The show up both on the desktop and in thunar and mount and unmount fine. As soon as unmounted, even if from the plugin itself they disappear from the plugin before being removed! sda1 and sda2 (ide) are fine. Vfat and Ext2 USB drives behave the same. Starting USB modeswitch or not makes no difference.

I know Geoffrey had a post on this in the Saluki forum but it wasn't resolved there so far as I know. I've tried several versions, currently running 5.5 and googled to no avail. This is true in Saluki 023 and in Carolina 002 non-PAE lite. Seems to me it did work in Saluki 021 but I'll have to boot that to check. Is it logical to assume this is a 4.8 to 4.10 growing pain? If so, I can certainly wait it out.

Of course pmount works from the panel just fine but the interface of the xfce4 plugin is just enough better to make me wish it worked.
Yeah that seems to be the case with the 4.10 upgrade, a number of 4.8 plugins no longer function correctly, the mounter plugin was handy, I also tried to get it working with USB , but no joy.

I have also tried to get the weather plugin to work here in Australia, but have had no luck, it works for elroy in the US though, has anyone been able to get it to function outside of the US?

okokoook

#288 Post by okokoook »

yeah, i also found a little weird thing about carolina 002. in carolina 001, when i view files in sfs using sfs-loader, there will be a icon like "loop4" shown in the thunar sidebar after the sfs has been opened, but in carolina 002, there is no such thing to happen. i was just curious about it.

michael

mufeed2012

#289 Post by mufeed2012 »

I hate this.
Last edited by mufeed2012 on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#290 Post by Geoffrey »

@mufeed2012

Thank you, but there is no reason to be nasty, there is a thing called etiquette, which is the norm,
you are quite welcome to make comment, contribute ideas and make request, we don't hold grudges.

Geoffrey
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sat 27 Oct 2012, 20:35, edited 2 times in total.