Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
ragaman

Firefox on Carolina

#1801 Post by ragaman »

Thank you, mikeslr and p310don. 8Geee's worked well. No more "Not Updated" prompts popping up.

Pete22

Moving to x64

#1802 Post by Pete22 »

Dear Carolina guys:

I love Carolina, and have used it since it was created.. Thank you for all your work.

I am looking for a good Puppy x64 with Xfce manager. I am hoping to find one that is as
user friendly as Carolina. I used to use Lighthouse x64 but it is no longer being updated.
I also checked Just lighthouse but it looks like it is not being updated either.

What do you guys suggest?

belham2

Re: Moving to x64

#1803 Post by belham2 »

Pete22 wrote:Dear Carolina guys:

I love Carolina, and have used it since it was created.. Thank you for all your work.

I am looking for a good Puppy x64 with Xfce manager. I am hoping to find one that is as
user friendly as Carolina. I used to use Lighthouse x64 but it is no longer being updated.
I also checked Just lighthouse but it looks like it is not being updated either.

What do you guys suggest?

Hey, Pete22,

You sure JL64 isn't being updated anymore? I thought it was.

Anyhow, if you're looking for these things:

1) 64-bit
2) XFCE
3) has to be puppy-based

Then, far as I can see, your only route at present is to download XenialPup64, get it all set up, then download Battleshooter's XFCE pet (look in desktop thread) and install XFCE. There's a few issues with desktop files right now using Battelshooter's pet, otherwise it seems pretty good.

If you're willing to look at something that is not quite puppy-based, but is close in principle and talked about (and actively supported) here on murga (and you want XFCE and 64-bit) then look on the dedicated thread's here for Fred181's DebianDogs. Fred has even got a script now that is so simple my wife does builds, and that is the most massive praise this script can ever get. She's completely given up pup-based OSes because of it. You can download Fred's script to a blank ~6-8GB partition, run it, click on a few answers in the script, choose XFCE as your desktop, and it will build a complete Debian-based XFCE DebianDog that comes in right at 400MB (I know, I've built more than a few of them and different DEs, and it is just wonderful). Then, from that point on, you never have to worry about updating again, as all DebianDogs use "apt-get update && apt-get upgrade" from the terminal, and you're system will always have the most up-to-date critical stuff released by Debian itself. It seriously makes puppy look pedestrian and immature when placed side-by-side. But, that said, most of us here are doing our best to also keep puppy alive & thriving, and support it. This seems true even if some of the giant developers of pup yore seem to have gone missing or are, possibly, just permanently MIA on this forum forever. So for XFCE and 64bit, try the xenialpup64 route with Battelshooter's pet. Also, know that Peebee also has some nice 64-bit stuff too--- take a look there too at his threads for LxPup, not sure if the XFCE pet will work in those though, haven't tried it like I have with Xenialpup64.

Best of luck!

Pete22

Moving to x64

#1804 Post by Pete22 »

Thank you belham2 for your response.

I thought that Just-Lighthouse x64 was not being updated because the thread I found did not have any action since 2015.
I will check and see if I find a later thread;. I absolutely loved Lighthouse and used it for years, so I hope you are right.

Thank you for telling me about XenialPup64 and Battleshooter's XFCE pet. I will try it.
I like having more than one puppy loaded. Sometime one does stuff another one doesn't.

The information about Fred181's DebianDogs sounds very interesting. i DO have a few geek genes, but not too many. I will look into this.
Wow making my own system do what I want, without being too geeky, It sounds like a miracle.

I must admit my heart is with Puppy. Windoze hosed my entire system for a third time in one year,
So I went online and asked what was the easiest linux that I could use. I was directed to Puppy Linux 4.31.
I downloaded it and was up on the Internet in 10 minutes. I have never looked back.

I tried LxPup a long time ago. It was beautiful. Only thing I didn't like was no Xfce.
With Battleshooter's XFCE pet; would be willing to give it another try.

Thanks for you wonderful advice.

Pete22

ally

#1805 Post by ally »

Pete22

Carolina and firefox

#1806 Post by Pete22 »

Hello Carolina gurus:

One of my friends wants to keep using Carolina 1.3, :)
However, she is having trouble using some websites because Firefox can not be updated.

Is there something I could do, to help her work around this problem, or is she out of luck?

Robert123

#1807 Post by Robert123 »

Pete there is an update that should work with Carolina here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=96316

To be honest Palemoon maybe a better option.
Devuan Linux, Stardust 013 (4.31) updated [url]https://archive.org/details/Stardustpup013glibc2.10[/url]
s57(2018)barebone[url]https://sourceforge.net/projects/puppy-linux-minimal-builds/files/s57%282018%29barebones.iso/download[/url]

Pete22

Virtual Box

#1808 Post by Pete22 »

Thank you all for helping me with my friend's computer. I finally convinced her to use Palemoon.

Now she wants virtual box to work. I installed the carolina virtualbox 4.3.2.sfs
However, I also need the extras package to make it work. I went and downloaded the 4.3.2 version
from the virtualbox website, but Carolina virtual box will not use it.

Any ideas.

Pete