Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

Updated XFCE 4.12 and other updates and fixes

#1741 Post by Geoffrey »

Updates and fixes for Carolina 1.3
lina_1.3_xfce_4.12_updates_and_fixes-03082015.pet
This should be ok to upgrade an existing save file, the changes can not be uninstalled, backup your save file first.
  • Upgrade to XFCE 4.12
  • Fixed, edited pac-tools to use "ar" archiver to extract deb's in place of "dpkg-deb" now extracts deb's that use tar.xz compression.
  • Added box_splash, updated gtkdialog-splash, now uses notify-send for notifications.
  • Fixed a resulting problem of notification looping in PPM when checking for dependencies.
  • Updated Whisker Menu, now has a user image, clicking image shows gui to change image and change computer name.
  • Updated "bash" to version 4.3.39
  • Updated "ln" to ln (GNU coreutils) 8.23
  • Added create-sym, create Relative and Absolute links in the Thunar right-click menu
  • Added gtkrc-reload
  • Added "refreshall" to Thunar right-click menu, this reloads xfdesktop, xfce-panel and gtkrc
  • Updated Simple File Sharing
  • Added xclip version 0.12
  • Added Copy Path to Thunar right-click menu
  • Updated gvfs mounts, now thunar can be used as a ftp client eg. ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux
  • Removed thunar wallpaper plugin, doesn't work with xfce 4.12 .
Attachments
xfcedesktop-settings.png
(145.94 KiB) Downloaded 952 times
createsymlink.png
(11.04 KiB) Downloaded 950 times
thunar_ftp.png
(50.25 KiB) Downloaded 954 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

Moat

#1742 Post by Moat »

Nice pack of updates (just applied to a fresh frugal install). 8) The new, integrated notification splashes are especially classy!

Carolina 1.3 is gorgeous - so solid, smooth, responsive, full-featured and polished. Simply outstanding work! I'm reminded of that every time I fire it up...

Bob

p310don

#1743 Post by p310don »

I installed VG on my wife's computer this morning.

Will this update work on VG?

battleshooter

#1744 Post by battleshooter »

Is this the same one you sent me a little while ago Geoff?

If so p310don, I think it works ok in Vanguard, except I get a weird glitch with the screensaver at times, haven't looked into it properly yet, it might just be my computer, it's been playing up terribly lately.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

Geoffrey

#1745 Post by Geoffrey »

battleshooter wrote:Is this the same one you sent me a little while ago Geoff?

If so p310don, I think it works ok in Vanguard, except I get a weird glitch with the screensaver at times, haven't looked into it properly yet, it might just be my computer, it's been playing up terribly lately.
Na, It's different to the Vanguard one, only a few things though, the pac-tools is as standard in Vanguard,
I only replaced the /usr/bin/dpkg-deb with the one from precise as it extracts tar.zx deb's.

box_splash, and gtkdialog-splash haven't been done in Vanguard, xclip is the older version, I think the gvfs ftp mount is in the wrong location.

The icon cache files are different too, I had to add those for the new appearance menu

I need to redo it, I'll have a look tomorrow.

Nice to see this version is working ok, hope everyone likes it.

What glitch with the screen saver do you have?, I think the screen saver is on by default, I've had it activate when I first installed,
I think sage had that problem, rg66 disabled it, I've also had it mixed with open windows, weird, I don't know what happened to cause that.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Mike7

#1746 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, all.

My memory's not so great, maybe I asked this before, but here goes:

Can anyone tell me where I can find a .pet of openssl-1.0.1p that will work with Carolite-1.2?

I can't find one in the Carolite PPM, nor in the Carolina repos at smokey01.com and archive.org.

Does it exist?

Thanks.

Mike7
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

Geoffrey

#1747 Post by Geoffrey »

Mike7 wrote:Hi, all.

My memory's not so great, maybe I asked this before, but here goes:

Can anyone tell me where I can find a .pet of openssl-1.0.1p that will work with Carolite-1.2?

I can't find one in the Carolite PPM, nor in the Carolina repos at smokey01.com and archive.org.

Does it exist?

Thanks.

Mike7
There is only openssl-1.0.1j-i486, I haven't done anymore with it, as it seemed to be updated often,
other apps that use openssl will need to be recompiled else there is a version conflict, I'm in no hurry,
I was hoping that battleshooter was going to continue with vanguard as Carolina is getting harder to keep updated, it's not just a matter of updating a single binary,
in most cases there are a number of different libraries that need to be updated to make it possible to compile newer versions of some applications.

I'll look at what can be updated at some point, as long as no major changes are required to do so.

Mike7

#1748 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Geoffrey.

Okay, I'll keep a lookout.

I haven't noticed any security leaks with openssl-1.0.1j-i486 lately, but the hackers are still exploiting Firefox weaknesses and there are websites that sometimes won't resolve properly even with FF38.

I've sorted out most of my issues with Carolite-1.2 and am very happy with it, even if it is a little slow. It has so many great features, like the intelligently thought-out right-click context menus, the way it keeps track of where you've been and where to save changed files, the good control apps (like Sensors), and of course the super-looking desktop.

End of advert :-)

M.
Carolite-1.2 w/FF38 on bootable 16G flash drive; Asus eeePC 1000HA, Atom CPU, 2G RAM, 160G HDD.

0xdawg

#1749 Post by 0xdawg »

Hello, I'm new to posting on here though I've read-only for the past ~14 months.

My workaround for having OpenSSL up-to-date is getting them at so much better maintained slackware repos.
h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶p̶a̶c̶k̶a̶g̶e̶s̶.̶s̶l̶a̶c̶k̶w̶a̶r̶e̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶?̶r̶=̶s̶l̶a̶c̶k̶w̶a̶r̶e̶-̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶&̶p̶=̶o̶p̶e̶n̶s̶s̶l̶-̶1̶.̶0̶.̶1̶p̶-̶i̶5̶8̶6̶-̶1̶.̶t̶x̶
&&
h̶t̶t̶p̶:̶/̶/̶p̶a̶c̶k̶a̶g̶e̶s̶.̶s̶l̶a̶c̶k̶w̶a̶r̶e̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶?̶r̶=̶s̶l̶a̶c̶k̶w̶a̶r̶e̶-̶c̶u̶r̶r̶e̶n̶t̶&̶p̶=̶o̶p̶e̶n̶s̶s̶l̶-̶s̶o̶l̶i̶b̶s̶-̶1̶.̶0̶.̶1̶p̶-̶i̶5̶8̶6̶-̶1̶.̶t̶x̶z̶ ̶
I've downloaded those packages.
Next step right click Open with "pupzip" and answer that upcoming dialogbox [Yes] (runs pacman).

Code: Select all

# openssl
OpenSSL> engine dynamic
(dynamic) Dynamic engine loading support
OpenSSL> speed rsa1024
Doing 1024 bit private rsa's for 10s: 761 1024 bit private RSA's in 8.16s
Doing 1024 bit public rsa's for 10s: 13737 1024 bit public RSA's in 8.02s
OpenSSL 1.0.1p 9 Jul 2015
built on: Thu Jul  9 13:13:17 2015
options:bn(64,32) rc4(8x,mmx) des(ptr,risc1,16,long) aes(partial) blowfish(idx) 
compiler: gcc -I. -I.. -I../include  -fPIC -DOPENSSL_PIC -DOPENSSL_THREADS -D_REENTRANT -DDSO_DLFCN -DHAVE_DLFCN_H -Wa,--noexecstack -DL_ENDIAN -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=i586 -mtune=i686 -Wall -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_PART_WORDS -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_MONT -DOPENSSL_BN_ASM_GF2m -DSHA1_ASM -DSHA256_ASM -DSHA512_ASM -DMD5_ASM -DRMD160_ASM -DAES_ASM -DWHIRLPOOL_ASM -DGHASH_ASM
                  sign    verify    sign/s verify/s
rsa 1024 bits 0.010723s 0.000584s     93.3   1712.8
Up'n'running on my laptop-style Wyse thin client which because of its VIA-chipset is kinda crude OS-wise. Happily Carolina is working on it, after a Debian full-install on USB vivisected itself after a couple of months.

Hopefully this works for you as well.
Greetings =]

/EDITED 25072018: obsolete links -- find slackware packages in general -> https://packages.slackware.com/
Last edited by 0xdawg on Wed 25 Jul 2018, 12:03, edited 2 times in total.

starhawk

#1750 Post by starhawk »

I'd be interested in hearing more about this thin client laptop -- is it an X-class? (ie, Xx0L or Xx0LE model numbers, where lowercase 'x' is a digit between 0 and 9.)

I've had an Sx0 (don't bother, they're horrible) and a Cx0 (only works with some Pups, due to an issue with the 'openchrome' video driver, which I'm working with the devs over there to fix). I have a couple other thin clients as well... and have had more in the past. I love those things :lol:

0xdawg

#1751 Post by 0xdawg »

starhawk wrote:I'd be interested in hearing more about this thin client laptop -- is it an X-class? (ie, Xx0L or Xx0LE model numbers, where lowercase 'x' is a digit between 0 and 9.)
Yep, I've gotten a good condition used X90LE (http://www.parkytowers.me.uk/thin/wyse/Xn0L/index.shtml) for 50 € on German ebay delivered ready-to-go with SlackoPuppy 5.6 which I didn't like too much at 1st sight (screen resolution wasn't easy to fix (have to admit I'm still pretty much a noob when it comes to Linux)).
So my buddy helped me setting up Debian and did Xorg.conf and screen resolution fixing for me.
Coming back to Puppy happened on Saluki when I've watched this video -> https://youtu.be/hOrQ5iYdAn4 - few steps later I've found these forums here after my 1st tryouts on Saluki which ob course impressed me working so very smooth OOTB ..
Edit: Upgraded the empty 2nd RAM-slot from 1 to 2 GB - not gonna upgrade that 2 GB CF-card as USB is really easy to set-up as 1st-boot-device in the BIOS.

starhawk

#1752 Post by starhawk »

CF cards are expensive, anyways, especially compared to SD cards.

Kinda crazy when you figure CF is larger... I guess size really isn't everything :P

The Cx0 I'm arguing with right now (I'll refer you to the same site as your link, just a few entries up in the sidebar) has a different VIA chipset and it does NOT want to do graphics (text is fine, somehow) with anything newer than Precise Puppy 57x... kinda annoying.

Mike7

#1753 Post by Mike7 »

Oxdawg-

What's all the code?

You think this slackware openssl-1.0.1p-i586 and its solibs will work in Carolite-1.2?

M.

0xdawg

#1754 Post by 0xdawg »

Mike7 wrote:Oxdawg-

What's all the code? Just to proof it is working on Carolina 1.3 properly

engine dynamic

speed rsa1024
are commands to test functionality of OpenSSL. All of the other code is the output in terminal. An easier command to see which version of OpenSSL is running is ->

# openssl
OpenSSL> version
OpenSSL 1.0.1p 9 Jul 2015
You think this slackware openssl-1.0.1p-i586 and its solibs will work in Carolite-1.2? Yes, I figure it will. Give it a try.

M.
starhawk wrote: The Cx0 I'm arguing with right now (I'll refer you to the same site as your link, just a few entries up in the sidebar) has a different VIA chipset and it does NOT want to do graphics (text is fine, somehow) with anything newer than Precise Puppy 57x... kinda annoying.
Same for me.
But that doesn't bother me at all.
I only use my Wyse thin client on those things I wouldn't do with M$ win7 - like banking, e-commerce, etc

Mike7

#1755 Post by Mike7 »

Oxdawg-

What's the difference between openssl-1.0.1p-i586 and openssl-1.0.1p-i486?

Is anything besides openssl dependent on the openssl solibs? (I really don't understand how openssl works and am just trying to make my system as secure as possible. I especially don't want to do anything that's going to screw up my OS or that isn't easily reversible.)

M.

0xdawg

#1756 Post by 0xdawg »

Mike7 wrote:Oxdawg-

What's the difference between openssl-1.0.1p-i586 and openssl-1.0.1p-i486? -x86 suffixes describe the chipset architecture the software was compiled upon. In your case an -i586 does match for your Atom N270.

Is anything besides openssl dependent on the openssl solibs? No. Dependency checker didn't report of missing dependencies.

(I really don't understand how openssl works and am just trying to make my system as secure as possible. I especially don't want to do anything that's going to screw up my OS or that isn't easily reversible.)

From my understanding the latest OpenSSL-version is rather a little more important when running a server. Clientwise it's also important but an up-to-date browser prevents from compromising your system.
Besides I have my PupSaveConfig set to +0 (ask at shutdown), this way I can test whatever I've installed on-the-fly before saving it. If anything doesn't work properly (last time it was OscarTalks Tor-browser package) I just don't save it.

M.
In your initial post you've asked for OpenSSL-1.0.1p

Mebbe you're waiting to be on the safe side and let Geoffrey or any other dev deliver

Could be I'm wrong with any-/everything I've posted so I am not gonna answer on this specific topic anymore .. 'cause I'm a novice user nor hacker // guru
./kthxbai

Geoffrey

#1757 Post by Geoffrey »

I've compiled openssl-1.0.2d and openssh-7.1p1 packages, you will need to install the both for ssh to work.

Please try these and report if this fixes any problems you have and I will then add them to the PPM, would pay to test this in a new savefile.

Thanks,

Geoff

Mike7

#1758 Post by Mike7 »

Thanks, Oxdawg.

I haven't decided what to do about opensssl yet. I'm at a disadvantage because I don't understand these systems and because I'm using Carolite-1.2 rather than Carolina-1.3.

Every bit of info (like i586 being good on Atom N270) helps, though.

Cheers.

Mike

Mike7

#1759 Post by Mike7 »

Hi, Geoffrey.
I've compiled openssl-1.0.2d and openssh-7.1p1 packages, you will need to install the both for ssh to work.
-- Can I assume, then, that if all I want is openssl I can ignore openssh-7.1p1-i486?

-- Oxdawg said the i586 versions are compatible with my Atom N270 processor. Will this i486 version work also?
Please try these and report if this fixes any problems you have and I will then add them to the PPM, would pay to test this in a new savefile.
My security problems have so far all been browser-related, and they are intermittent. That makes testing difficult. What I would ideally need for testing would be openssl that I could load and run on-the-fly, when the problems arise. Any suggestions?

M.

0xdawg

#1760 Post by 0xdawg »

Mike7 wrote: -- Oxdawg said the i586 versions are compatible with my Atom N270 processor. Will this i486 version work also?
Never mind, but that compatibility is given on any not too old x86 machine.
-> http://mindspill.net/computing/cross-pl ... i586-i686/