Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elroy

#166 Post by elroy »

Just as a heads up for everyone that is following this thread. Within the next couple days we will be changing the main post of this thread (the 1st post) into a table of contents. We feel that this will make it easier for users to find what they're looking for. Also, I'm about 2/3'rds of the way finished with creating a newb friendly tutorial on how to install the AMD/ATI graphic driver on Carolina. We're also getting closer to the release of Carolina-002. Included in 002 will be all of the firmware that was missing in 001, all of the patches that were offered for 001, with the latest versions of Firefox/Thunderbird, the latest version of flash offered for linux, and the latest release of the pup-volume-monitor, along with a few other minor enhancements.

Unfortunately, peebee's additions will have to wait until 003. I wanted to add them to 002, but I ran out of time to test them thoroughly.

If you've created wallpaper for Carolina, or are creating wallpaper, please submit your final versions by the 17th of October.

linux

#167 Post by linux »

Not sure if this is your style but feel free to use this high res 1920 x 1200 wallpaper if you like it. Royalty free my own image...

Thanks again for your time

yerc1

[SOLVED] Suspend and Hibernate

#168 Post by yerc1 »

I have just now checked Carolina's suspend and hibernate options on my Aspire One netbook.
Both options don't work.

I have not tested on other machines as Saluki 023 can bring the netbook on suspend/ hibernate
Last edited by yerc1 on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

PenPen

Wallpaper

#169 Post by PenPen »

In tribute to jemimah for all the effort she put into Saluki.
Attachments
SalukiCarolina.JPG
From the old to the new
(128.48 KiB) Downloaded 707 times

rg66

#170 Post by rg66 »

elroy wrote:
rg66 wrote:Here's a wallpaper for Carolina. The original image is from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net so there should be no problem.

Edit: Updated with the better logo and added another wallpaper with the "howling carolina".
Very nice!

EDIT: I want to use these with Carolina-002, perhaps one of them as the default. The only thing I'd suggest is moving the logo up 5 to 10 pixels so that it doesn't interfere with the task-bar. Other than that, I find it very tasteful. Well done!
Thanks Elroy, it would be an honour to see these in the next release.

I noticed on both my comps, one being a wide screen, that I had to set the style to "stretch" for it to display properly on Saluki or Windows. The logo was either partially under the taskbar or off the side of the screen.

Anyway, I did redo them in the original size and the logo higher up. See my original post for the edited wallpapers.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

elroy

Re: Suspend and Hibernate

#171 Post by elroy »

yerc1 wrote:I have just now checked Carolina's suspend and hibernate options on my Aspire One netbook.
Both options don't work.

I have not tested on other machines as Saluki 023 can bring the netbook on suspend/ hibernate
Hi yerc1,

Fortunately I have one of those. Suspend worked for me on both my Aspire and my Toshiba Satellite laptop. Both of my machines have frugal installs on the hard-drive.

On the Toshiba, hibernate caused the system to shut-down without saving to the savefile. On my Aspire, I get a message that states - "You must create a swap space large enough to hold the contents of your RAM before you can hibernate". It appears that a very large swap space would be required for this to work correctly. That would be something that is created when the medium is formatted. If you're using a pen-drive, this could also cause the pen-drive to have a much shorter life-span. If you're using a hard-drive, reformatting may not be an option if you have Windows or other things installed you don't wish to lose or have to re-install.

EDIT: I booted up Saluki-023 without a savefile on my Aspire one. Suspend did nothing, and hibernate gave me the same warning about needing a larger swap space.

shelezyaka

#172 Post by shelezyaka »

LSHW - utility shows the characteristics of the equipment is installed on your computer,and also connected to it.
Large database.
Link to download the package - http://yadi.sk/d/O4iQSOM40D2Qj

elroy

#173 Post by elroy »

shelezyaka wrote:LSHW - utility shows the characteristics of the equipment is installed on your computer,and also connected to it.
Thanks. Added to the repo.

elroy

#174 Post by elroy »

broadcom_wl_delta-k3.2.13-ski.pet and xdelta3-30p-carolina.pet have been added to the repo. They will also be included in carolina-002.

yerc1

Re: Suspend and Hibernate

#175 Post by yerc1 »

elroy wrote:
yerc1 wrote:I have just now checked Carolina's suspend and hibernate options on my Aspire One netbook.
Both options don't work.

Hi yerc1,

Fortunately I have one of those. Suspend worked for me on both my Aspire and my Toshiba Satellite laptop. Both of my machines have frugal installs on the hard-drive.
It could be something I was doing prior to testing as just now, giving both options another go prove they ARE working on Carolina. I don't usually use these options but it's nice to know they work for when the need arises.

I multiboot Carolina and Saluki off the same pendrive and using Swap on the hard drive.

By the way, I like seeing Table of Contents in the main post. It makes finding information so much easier.

Keep up the good work.
Once again thanks for Carolina!

gcmartin

updating service fixes to Caroline

#176 Post by gcmartin »

I have noticed on the download site that some of the files are presented as .001, .002, etc.

Question
  • Are these files "iterative" or are they "cumulative"?
  • Is there any thought to including a tool such as the "Update" desktop tool that TaZoC has been including in Lighthouse for some time which makes addressing system issues ?
Thanks in advance

elroy

Re: updating service fixes to Caroline

#177 Post by elroy »

gcmartin wrote:I have noticed on the download site that some of the files are presented as .001, .002, etc.

Question
  • Are these files "iterative" or are they "cumulative"?
  • Is there any thought to including a tool such as the "Update" desktop tool that TaZoC has been including in Lighthouse for some time which makes addressing system issues ?
Thanks in advance
I can only assume that you're referring to the patch files. Yes, they're cumulative. There's already a tool that you can download (it will be included in carolina-002) that will automatically download and install the necessary patch file. Look at the first post on this thread, under the "Patches" link.

rg66

#178 Post by rg66 »

Wanted to uninstall some stuff but almost all of the apps in the applications menu are not listed in the remove builtin packages list, same with gnewpet. The builtin_files folder is missing them.

Also, Bulk Rename is not in the app menu. I changed Categories=Filesystem to FileSystem (capitol S) in the desktop file and it appeared.

elroy

#179 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Wanted to uninstall some stuff but almost all of the apps in the applications menu are not listed in the remove builtin packages list, same with gnewpet. The builtin_files folder is missing them.

Also, Bulk Rename is not in the app menu. I changed Categories=Filesystem to FileSystem (capitol S) in the desktop file and it appeared.
Those are issues that have been fixed for 002. Both Geoffrey and I were aware of the builtin packages list errors, and those have been corrected for the new release. I noticed the Bulk Rename missing icon earlier today and fixed it for 002. The new release will be available within the next couple days. I apologize for the inconvenience, but the adrive for 001 was highly customized, and it introduced the package list errors. For 002, we went back to using the custom builder to create the adrive, and this provides the necessary files for gnewpet to work correctly.

rg66

#180 Post by rg66 »

No prob, can manually uninstall if need be, but will probably wait for 002.

If I could make a suggestion to make Carolina look a bit nicer (in my opinion anyway), the soothe theme from the repo gives a transparent look to the windows buttons which looks much better than the usual grey.
Attachments
soothe-1.jpg
(7.77 KiB) Downloaded 745 times
soothe.jpg
(11.14 KiB) Downloaded 777 times

elroy

Carolina Linux beta version 0.0.2 released

#181 Post by elroy »

Beta version 0.0.2 has been released. You can download it from the first post on this thread in the 'Links'.

peebee

Re: Carolina Linux beta version 0.0.2 released

#182 Post by peebee »

elroy wrote:Beta version 0.0.2 has been released. You can download it from the first post on this thread in the 'Links'.
Any chance of some delta files from 001??

Many thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

elroy

Re: Carolina Linux beta version 0.0.2 released

#183 Post by elroy »

peebee wrote:
elroy wrote:Beta version 0.0.2 has been released. You can download it from the first post on this thread in the 'Links'.
Any chance of some delta files from 001??

Many thanks
peebee
Geoffrey just finished uploading it to the repo. It's in the iso folder along with the md5sum.txt

einar

#184 Post by einar »

I have no time yet, but can anyone test the uploaded file from mr Stifiling on the last page on the Saluki tread ? its makes the network tab work in saluki. it is named : gvfs-smb.pet

regards Einar

elroy

#185 Post by elroy »

einar wrote:I have no time yet, but can anyone test the uploaded file from mr Stifiling on the last page on the Saluki tread ? its makes the network tab work in saluki. it is named : gvfs-smb.pet
There's already a gvfs pet in the repo, but this one does seem to get the Thunar network tab working.

I've uploaded this to the carolina repo. I removed some of the library files because they're already on carolina by default.

It seems to work. I don't have windows, but my wife does, and I can see her computer when I click the Network tab from within Thunar. If I click on her computer's icon I get a login/password dialog. Clicking the Windows network icon crashes Thunar, but that may be because I'm not logged in as a network user, or some other reason.

The following files were removed because they're already on carolina by default:

/usr/lib/libgconf-2.so.4
/usr/lib/libgconf-2.s0.4.1.5
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11
/usr/lib/libgcrypt.so.11.5.3
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0
/usr/lib/libgpg-error.so.0.8.0
Last edited by elroy on Tue 16 Oct 2012, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.