Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
elroy

Re: Different laptop now has internet

#151 Post by elroy »

Pete22 wrote:The new Carolina updater and a new install solved my network problems.

Just wondering. I don't see those nifty Xfce tweaks that we got as a pet in
saluki a short time ago. Are they here some where? Or are they coming
before the final release?
Check out the Control Panel under the Desktop heading and you'll find the XfcePowerTools.

elroy

#152 Post by elroy »

linux wrote:We did have a problem with the touch-pad playing around I assume it needs a specific driver.
You can adjust touch-pad settings from the Control Panel in the Hardware section. There two tiers of tabs. On the second tier you'll see Touchpad. Try this first before trying the next suggestion.

If you can't get it to work from there, try going to Control Panel-->System-->Configure Kernel Modules and choose "click here to add new module". Be patient as it takes quite a while to gather all of the module information. Once it finishes initializing, you'll see two columns. The left will be populated, the right empty. Scroll down the left until you see rt8187, click on it to highlight it, and then click the "Add" button. Click "OK". "EXIT" the Configuration dialog, and then reboot. You'll have to be sure to be using a savefile, as a RAM boot won't save the settings.

yr1945

#153 Post by yr1945 »

@Geoffrey & Elroy...

Just a brief note to THANK YOU again for Carolina...

As you may know, I am a big Saluki fan... it has been my primary OS from Tman's first build, ie, luki-001... ((ps, I realize that after the first few builds, Jemimah took over))... Saluki is a fantastic OS... but, since it will not be maintained... I finally realized that I must move on...

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I am now using Carolina-001 as my primary OS... with a customized Adrive... and, I wanted to say that Patch updates/fixes was very creative...

Also, I wanted to let you know that I really like the Midori Browser... even with all the bugs...

It would be great if someone could take over Jemimah's efforts and make Midori more desirable for the PuppyLinux Community... it is easily configured, it is simple, it is fast... and, it is only 4MB... or thereabouts...

I wanted to let you know that when using Saluki... Midori would crash 4 or 5 times per day... however, with Carolina... Midori seldom crashes... I wonder why???

Anyway, keep up the good work... and, THANKS again...

elroy

#154 Post by elroy »

yr1945 wrote:...I just wanted to let you know that I am now using Carolina-001 as my primary OS... with a customized Adrive... and, I wanted to say that Patch updates/fixes was very creative....
Thanks for the kind words of support, yr1945. Both Geoffrey and I are also big Saluki fans; that's the main reason we decided to do this. Also, speaking for myself, this has been an invaluable learning experience.

With the size of the Carolina ISO, we thought it best to come up with some method of fixing bugs in a simple manner rather than requiring Carolina users to download a large ISO every time we fixed a few bugs. While it certainly isn't a one-to-one correlation of what Carolina-002 will be, at least it helps make it more usable without having to force people to spend most of their time downloading large ISO's every few days. It's also a great way to test if a fix works correctly.

I'm glad that you're enjoying Carolina, and I hope your enjoyment continues.

Pete22

I am hoping for a couple of tweaks

#155 Post by Pete22 »

You inherited this one from from Saluki.

Problem: I always go in and set my default programs before I get started
doing much. And you guys have set evince as the default pdf opener, which is great.
However, when I first open a pdf in Carolina or saluki it always tries to
to open it with epdfview. I go in to set run action. It says open with:
epdfview "$1"

As near as I can tell epdfview is not installed. Maybe it is, but I can not get it to run.

The Open With menu always includes epdfview instead of evince,
as does Send To. But they have the caution sign to warn you that it
is a broken link.

[By the way: You will notice that there are at least three programs that
always show up in Open with and Send to with caution signs.]

If wishes were fishes I would like both Open with and Send to to include Evince.
And while your at it, I would like to add petget too.

Now for an added feature request that relates to this same problem.:
Firefox can not open any file or folder even though it looks like it could.
See the example below:

Why doesn't the Send to listing come up so a user can at least
choose an application to open a file, or exo-open to open a folder?

Or better yet: is there a way that Firefox can be configured so it uses the
correct program to open files and folders? Could this open with or
send to command be linked to the default applications somehow, so
that the files and folders would open when they are clicked on? .

If this could be done, it would make Carolina stand out in the crowd of
Puppies as even more friendly to nongeeks, and/or folks new to linux.

Pete
Attachments
Currently firefox will not open files or folders.png
(25.74 KiB) Downloaded 1236 times

Geoffrey

Re: I am hoping for a couple of tweaks

#156 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete

Your wish is our command, this is being dealt with, it took me a while to work out you are using Roxfiler, I'll remove the non existent apps, add evince and petget.

As for Firefox that will be seen to also, in the mean time in the popup that say's choose, navigate to /usr/bin/xdg-open and tick the checkbox to use it every time,
this is linked to exo-open, then the Thunar filemanager will open the containing folder or use Open to run the appropriate application.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

a0damasco

wallpaper

#157 Post by a0damasco »

Attachments
VistaPrevia.png
(41.3 KiB) Downloaded 1093 times

Geoffrey

Re: wallpaper

#158 Post by Geoffrey »

I'm unable to view or download this image, it appears an account is needed.

To keep the file size to a minimum, the images for backgrounds should be in the jpg format and from a location that is easily accessible.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

a0damasco

Re: wallpaper

#159 Post by a0damasco »

Geoffrey wrote:
I'm unable to view or download this image, it appears an account is needed.

To keep the file size to a minimum, the images for backgrounds should be in the jpg format and from a location that is easily accessible.
photo upload

rg66

#160 Post by rg66 »

Here's a wallpaper for Carolina. The original image is from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net so there should be no problem.

Edit: Updated with the better logo and added another wallpaper with the "howling carolina".
Last edited by rg66 on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 11:57, edited 2 times in total.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Geoffrey

#161 Post by Geoffrey »

rg66 wrote:Here's a wallpaper for Carolina. The original image is from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net so there should be no problem.
Thanks, looks good, here is a better image of the stamp it's transparent and blends in better without the sharp edges.

a0damasco

transmission

#162 Post by a0damasco »

Sorry for my bad English. I use a translator.
I can not use transmission. It just closes. Someone has got it?
Thank you.

elroy

#163 Post by elroy »

rg66 wrote:Here's a wallpaper for Carolina. The original image is from http://www.publicdomainpictures.net so there should be no problem.

Edit: Updated with the better logo and added another wallpaper with the "howling carolina".
Very nice!

EDIT: I want to use these with Carolina-002, perhaps one of them as the default. The only thing I'd suggest is moving the logo up 5 to 10 pixels so that it doesn't interfere with the task-bar. Other than that, I find it very tasteful. Well done!
Last edited by elroy on Sun 14 Oct 2012, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.

linux

#164 Post by linux »

elroy wrote:
linux wrote:We did have a problem with the touch-pad playing around I assume it needs a specific driver.
You can adjust touch-pad settings from the Control Panel in the Hardware section. There two tiers of tabs. On the second tier you'll see Touchpad. Try this first before trying the next suggestion.

If you can't get it to work from there, try going to Control Panel-->System-->Configure Kernel Modules and choose "click here to add new module". Be patient as it takes quite a while to gather all of the module information. Once it finishes initializing, you'll see two columns. The left will be populated, the right empty. Scroll down the left until you see rt8187, click on it to highlight it, and then click the "Add" button. Click "OK". "EXIT" the Configuration dialog, and then reboot. You'll have to be sure to be using a savefile, as a RAM boot won't save the settings.
Thanks very much for your help with this. I will try these settings hopefully tomorrow. Sorry for the newbie style questions, I am Windows savvy but just getting to get grips with the puppy Linux. Carolina is very impressive and fast becoming my operating system of choice.

Keep up the great work

elroy

#165 Post by elroy »

linux wrote:Thanks very much for your help with this. I will try these settings hopefully tomorrow. Sorry for the newbie style questions, I am Windows savvy but just getting to get grips with the puppy Linux. Carolina is very impressive and fast becoming my operating system of choice.
No problem, linux. And there's no need to apologize. You're precisely the type of user we're developing Carolina for. If you need further assistance, don't hesitate to post or pm Geoffrey or myself.

elroy

#166 Post by elroy »

Just as a heads up for everyone that is following this thread. Within the next couple days we will be changing the main post of this thread (the 1st post) into a table of contents. We feel that this will make it easier for users to find what they're looking for. Also, I'm about 2/3'rds of the way finished with creating a newb friendly tutorial on how to install the AMD/ATI graphic driver on Carolina. We're also getting closer to the release of Carolina-002. Included in 002 will be all of the firmware that was missing in 001, all of the patches that were offered for 001, with the latest versions of Firefox/Thunderbird, the latest version of flash offered for linux, and the latest release of the pup-volume-monitor, along with a few other minor enhancements.

Unfortunately, peebee's additions will have to wait until 003. I wanted to add them to 002, but I ran out of time to test them thoroughly.

If you've created wallpaper for Carolina, or are creating wallpaper, please submit your final versions by the 17th of October.

linux

#167 Post by linux »

Not sure if this is your style but feel free to use this high res 1920 x 1200 wallpaper if you like it. Royalty free my own image...

Thanks again for your time

yerc1

[SOLVED] Suspend and Hibernate

#168 Post by yerc1 »

I have just now checked Carolina's suspend and hibernate options on my Aspire One netbook.
Both options don't work.

I have not tested on other machines as Saluki 023 can bring the netbook on suspend/ hibernate
Last edited by yerc1 on Mon 15 Oct 2012, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

PenPen

Wallpaper

#169 Post by PenPen »

In tribute to jemimah for all the effort she put into Saluki.
Attachments
SalukiCarolina.JPG
From the old to the new
(128.48 KiB) Downloaded 707 times

rg66

#170 Post by rg66 »

elroy wrote:

Very nice!

EDIT: I want to use these with Carolina-002, perhaps one of them as the default. The only thing I'd suggest is moving the logo up 5 to 10 pixels so that it doesn't interfere with the task-bar. Other than that, I find it very tasteful. Well done!
Thanks Elroy, it would be an honour to see these in the next release.

I noticed on both my comps, one being a wide screen, that I had to set the style to "stretch" for it to display properly on Saluki or Windows. The logo was either partially under the taskbar or off the side of the screen.

Anyway, I did redo them in the original size and the logo higher up. See my original post for the edited wallpapers.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]