Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

#1141 Post by Geoffrey »

@ can8v

I'm glad it's all working for you :wink:

I've uploaded a talking clock I've been working on, it might be handy for those with a vision impairment, it's activated using the mouse, either the screen edges or corners can be set to trigger it, sneeky_talking_clock-1.0.pet, search for sneeky in the PPM.

Let me know if anything is wrong with it, though it should be fine, I've tested it for some time now with no ill effects.
Attachments
sneeky.jpg
(24.04 KiB) Downloaded 775 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

can8v

miniDLNA

#1142 Post by can8v »

Does anyone have miniDLNA working in Carolina 1.1? It installed without a hitch and I edited the minidlna.conf file (same as I did in Saluki 023) just the media location, as follows.

Code: Select all

media_dir=/mnt/sda1/Videos
Then I started the server by simply typing "minidlna" into the terminal. This is all that was required on my last puppy.. MiniDLNA made no complaints at all and Carolina already has the libav* libraries that are required by this gem of an application, nevertheless "Puppy DLNA Server" is not showing up on any of my devices (ie. Playstation 3, Smart Blueray Player, Smart TV, Android Tablets and Phones, etc.)
Now that I have XMBC, Handbrake, Thoggen, Simple File Sharing, Clementine, SMPlayer, and VLC all working, MiniDLNA and MakeMKV are my final steps to finishing my new media server. I use this old laptop to rip my DVDs and Bluerays, add them to my server and manage the content, Serve that content to my family of seven using a wide range of devices on several different operating systems. This may be the first time I manage to get everything working without any annoying workarounds like booting into one operating system for ripping encrypted DVDs, another for regular DVDs another to serve the content, etc.

Geoffrey

#1143 Post by Geoffrey »

@ can8v

I installed miniDLNA and configured /etc/minidlna.conf with the path to the video files I have, it works ok using windows media player on Windows 7, also works on my Android tablet.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Geoffrey

#1144 Post by Geoffrey »

Added smplayer-skins-20130605-i486.pet and smplayer-themes-20120919-i486.pet to the repo.
Attachments
smplayer-black.jpg
(23.93 KiB) Downloaded 620 times

don570

#1145 Post by don570 »

I made some changes to Compression 1.8
so it will run on Carolina and many other Puppies.
It has 7z library inside as well as SFR's UExtract 2.7.

It's a complete package to compress and decompress.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78902

slenkar

#1146 Post by slenkar »

I only see devx for 1.0 not 1.1
can I use the old one?

Geoffrey

#1147 Post by Geoffrey »

slenkar wrote:I only see devx for 1.0 not 1.1
can I use the old one?
Yes just load the old one, it hasn't been updated.

Dromeno

XBMC update for Carolina?

#1148 Post by Dromeno »

In my experience Carolina is the best x86 linux distro for running the xbmc media center. But the 11 (eden) version is outdated and installing the 12.3 frodo version as .deb doesn't work in Carolina.

Many xbmc repos no longer work in version 11, so is it possible to make a 12.3 version, or give instructions on how to install the .deb version?

nmlkngdm

Re: XBMC update for Carolina?

#1149 Post by nmlkngdm »

Dromeno wrote:Many xbmc repos no longer work in version 11, so is it possible to make a 12.3 version, or give instructions on how to install the .deb version?
I have XBMC 12.3 working under Wine 1.7.9, Carolina 1.1 PAE

My laptop specs
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5850 @ 2.16GHz
Memory : 4145MB (373MB used - Posting from Carolina 1.1 PAE,Firefox)
Resolution,OpenGL Renderer : 1280x800 pixels,GeForce 8400M GS/PCIe/SSE2

Image Image Image

nmlkngdm

#1150 Post by nmlkngdm »

My attempt at compiling Wine 1.7.10 in Carolina 1.1 PAE (very basic, no menu entries, command to run windows apps is /usr/local/bin/wine)

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/kiygrqeqfgtym/nmlkngdm

Wine 1.7.10 in Carolina 1.1 PAE
Screens from left to right
(1)XBMC 12.3, (2)VLC 2.1.2, (3)VLC streaming youtube video/paused
Image Image Image
Last edited by nmlkngdm on Mon 06 Jan 2014, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.

Dromeno

#1151 Post by Dromeno »

nmlkngdm, first: thanks!

but... I am not sure if running xbmc via wine is exactly the same thing as running the linux version of it. Often it is faster/lighter to run the version of a program which is designed for linux right?. And with high definition movies it is especially important to use the lightest software you can find.

Nevertheless, I am certainly going to try the wine route for xbmc in Carolina!

can8v

#1152 Post by can8v »

@Geoffry
Thanks for looking into MiniDLNA for me. I have spent several hours on this issue with no resolution as of yet. I verified the required libraries from Shinobar's original thread were present and tried installing each of the various version that were available from PPM and this forum. No luck. I tried installing the various versions after booting pfix=ram, to eliminate anything I may have messed up since creating my pup_save file; still I had no luck. It doesn't matter what version I install or if I install it on a prestine Carolina or my modified version of Carolina, the bottom line is the same. The install goes off without a hitch. The Server starts without complaint, but none of the 14 DLNA clients that I have access to can see the MiniDLNA server when it is running in Carolina. I tested further by opening a browser and navigating to 192.168.1.71:8200 (the IP and port for MiniDLNA), which produced a 404 error (see screenshot). I get the same error if regardless if I use a browser on the network or even on the server machine running Carolina. If I reboot this same computer using Saluki 023 and start the MiniDLNA server, all of the devices can see the DLNA server and access the video files. Further I can open a browser on the host or any of the computers/tablets/phones on the network and navigate to 192.168.1.71:8200 and I get the message from MiniDLNA with statistics regarding the content in the media directory (see other screenshot).
I can only speculate two issues at this point. Potentially I need to install another package to make this work that I am unaware of (Something that either came with Saluki or I had already installed it for some other reason) or there is a flaw in the iso image of Carolina that i downloaded, despite the MD5 checking out (is this possible)?
Attachments
Screenshot-WorkingMiniDLNA.png
Screenshot of what should be displayed when navigating directly to a fully functioning MiniDLNA server (running on Saluki 023 in this example.)
(81.71 KiB) Downloaded 422 times
Screenshot-NotWorkingMiniDLNA.png
Screenshot of error when browsing directly to the MiniDLNA server from Carolina. Includes terminal window to show MiniDLNA is running and now error messages were reported.
(52.2 KiB) Downloaded 412 times

can8v

#1153 Post by can8v »

Dromeno wrote:nmlkngdm, first: thanks!

but... I am not sure if running xbmc via wine is exactly the same thing as running the linux version of it. Often it is faster/lighter to run the version of a program which is designed for linux right?. And with high definition movies it is especially important to use the lightest software you can find.

I am also running XBMC 11 in Carolina, I was pleased that it worked without issue, but was unable to figure out if the UPnP features were removed or if they just don't work or if I was just too lame to figure it out. I am pretty happy with version 11, but of course I don't know what I am missing in version 12.3. Are there significant improvements that I should be aware of? I would be very interested to find out if you get this working natively or not.

Geoffrey

#1154 Post by Geoffrey »

can8v wrote:
Dromeno wrote:nmlkngdm, first: thanks!

I am also running XBMC 11 in Carolina, I was pleased that it worked without issue, but was unable to figure out if the UPnP features were removed or if they just don't work or if I was just too lame to figure it out. I am pretty happy with version 11, but of course I don't know what I am missing in version 12.3. Are there significant improvements that I should be aware of? I would be very interested to find out if you get this working natively or not.
I tried the xbmc windows version with wine, it seems to run smoothly but there is no network access, I did manage to get it to play files on the lan by creating a symlink to /root/.gvfs and place that where you like, but rename the link so as it's visible,then use Thunar to browse the network, the files will be list in the link, not the best option as there is still no internet connection.

I still use xbmc 11, it does all that I need, when time permit's I'll have a go at compiling the latest xbmc, it looks complex though, Jemimah compiled the last version, so when she left so did the developments.

Geoffrey

#1155 Post by Geoffrey »

@ can8v

I see you have MiniDLNA server control in /etc/init.d, could you please post your script, the one I found online didn't work, I'll look at making a configuration GUI for MiniDLNA that should make things a little easier for noobs.

I still have it working ok, it's very strange that you are having so much trouble with it, then I have loads of pets installed so as you say it maybe missing something, I'll have to try from a fresh install, can anyone else confirm whether or not it has a problem.

can8v

#1156 Post by can8v »

@Geoffry
Last night I installed XBMC 12.3 Frodo on my Nexus 7 tablet 2013 edition. That very well may be the the highest performing 7 inch tablet and outperforms 99% of 10 inch tablets (according to many reviews and benchmark test results I read prior to making my choice). The performance was still lack luster and not as good as XBMC on my Core Duo Dell Inspiron with 4GB RAM from 2008 running on Carolina. I used the Android APK file available from XBMC.org website, as it is not available in the Google Play Store. The installation was super easy, as is all Android app installs. Everything appears to work. I was able to use the built in Samba client when setting up the media library, to load the library with content from my Carolina media server. In about 15 minutes using my 802.11N WiFi network and 3/Mbs broadband XBMC 12.3 on my Android table was able to catalog and scrape data and images from TVdb and TMdb for my 340 movies and almost 200 TV episodes. That is only a little slower than it took on my laptop running Carolina. Not bad for a handheld device. Then came the slow part. One of the truly impressive aspects of XBMC IMO is the display of the library, constantly changing the background and foreground images to match the current selection being hovered over. IMO that is spectacular and beats the text based menus of DLNA renderers hands down. On the Nexus 7 however, this was a bit lackluster. Problem one was that with a touch screen instead of a mouse there is no hover effect, as soon as you touch the screen you get the result of a click event. It just doesn't work as well, but still far superior to something like Media House or DK DLNA (popular DLNA renderers on Android and the only other option for viewing the media on my Carolina media server that I am aware of.) I do have access to my wifes RK802ii Android device and a wireless Logitech keyboard with glide pad. I decided to give it a go even though I thought this device would be a little under powered for this type of app. The install went fine and creating the library only too marginally more time than the Nexus 7, but I had the wonderful hover effects back. Unfortunately I was right this device can barely play full screen video with mx Player, which uses far less resources. When I play videos using XBMC they are choppy and the audio gets significantly out of sync with the video. I only played around with it for about 45 minutes between the two devices, but I saw nothing in version 12.3 that made me go "Oh my Word we have to get this running on Carolina". With version 13, so close to release, maybe we should just skip the 12 series altogether. Does anybody have any experience with version 12.3 that would indicate that it is a gem of an app that we shouldn't miss out on or that it has some amazing feature that version 11 did not? I certainly saw some differences, but nothing mind blowing. Maybe after I spend some more time in XMBC on my Nexus 7 I will change my mind.

Geoffrey

#1157 Post by Geoffrey »

@can8v

I left a PM for you with a link to minidlna-1.1.0_static, that works for me on a clean boot, where the old version shows in the browser but the file count is 0

can8v

#1158 Post by can8v »

Geoffrey wrote:@ can8v

I see you have MiniDLNA server control in /etc/init.d, could you please post your script, the one I found online didn't work, I'll look at making a configuration GUI for MiniDLNA that should make things a little easier for noobs.

I still have it working ok, it's very strange that you are having so much trouble with it, then I have loads of pets installed so as you say it maybe missing something, I'll have to try from a fresh install, can anyone else confirm whether or not it has a problem.
Geoffry,
Happy to provide that script, it was created by the pet package "minidlna-1.0.22-1.pet" which shinobar posted to the forum Jun 5, 2012.

#!/bin/sh
#
# minildna       minidlna starter
#
# chkconfig: - 88 12
# description: MiniDLNA (aka ReadyDLNA) is server software\
# with the aim of being fully compliant with DLNA/UPnP-AV clients.
# processname: minidlna
# config: /etc/$PROGBASE.conf
#
# minildna starter for puppy linux
# 10 Oct 2010 by shinobar <shino@pos.to>
#  4 Jan 2012 shinobar: auto mount

PROGBASE=minidlna
PROG="/usr/sbin/$PROGBASE"
CONF="/etc/$PROGBASE.conf"
DBDIR="/tmp/$PROGBASE"
MYPID=$$

# Check conf exists.
[ -s "$CONF" ] || exit 0

reset_db() {
	rm -fr "$DBDIR"
}
mount_shared() {
	SHARED=$(grep '^[^#]*media_dir[ ]*=[ ]*/mnt/' $CONF | tail -n 1 | cut -d'=' -f2)
	[ "$SHARED" ] || return
	PART=$(echo $SHARED | cut -d'/' -f3)
	mount| grep -q "^/dev/$PART[ ]" && return
	FS=$(probepart|grep "^/dev/$PART|"| cut -d'|' -f2)
	[ "$FS" ] || return
	MOUNTOPT=""
	case $FS in
		ntfs)	MOUNTOPT="-o $IDOPT"
		;;
		vfat)	NLS_PARAM=""
		if [ -f /etc/codepage ]; then #100127...
			grep -q -i '850' /etc/codepage && [ "$(echo $LANG|cut -d'.' -f1)" != "en_US" ] && NLS_PARAM=",codepage=850"
			grep -q -i '852' /etc/codepage && NLS_PARAM=",codepage=852,iocharset=iso8859-2"
		fi
		MOUNTOPT="-o shortname=mixed,quiet$NLS_PARAM,utf8,$IDOPT"
		;;
	esac
	mkdir -p  /mnt/$PART
	echo "mount $MOUNTOPT -t $FS /dev/$PART /mnt/$PART" >&2
	mount $MOUNTOPT -t $FS /dev/$PART /mnt/$PART
}

start() {
	[ -x $PROG ] || exit 0
	[ -f $CONF ] || exit 0
	mount_shared
	#wait until IP up
	CONNECTED=""
	for I in $(seq 6); do
	  IFES=$(ifconfig | grep HWaddr | cut -d' ' -f1)
	  if [ "$IFES" != "" ]; then
	    for IF in $IFES; do
	     ifconfig $IF | grep -q inet && CONNECTED="yes" && break
	    done
	  fi
	  [ "$CONNECTED" != "" ] && break
	  [ $I -eq 1 ] && echo "Waiting IP ready..."
	  sleep 10
	done
	$PROG "$@"
}
stop() {
  for T in $(seq 6); do
	PIDS=$(pidof -o %PPID $PROGBASE) || break
	for I in $PIDS; do
	 kill $I
	done
	sleep 5
  done
  reset_db
  return 0
}
status() {
	FLAG=0
	PIDS=$(pidof -o %PPID $PROGBASE)
	if [ "$PIDS" ]; then
		echo "$PROGBASE is running ... (PID= "$(echo $PIDS|tr ' ' ',')")."
	else
		FLAG=1
		echo "$PROGBASE is not running."
	fi
	if [ ! -x $PROG ]; then
		FLAG=1
		echo "The excutable $PROG not found."
	fi
	if [ ! -f $CONF ]; then
		FLAG=1
		echo "The configuration file $CONF not found."
	fi
	return $FLAG
}

case $1 in
start)
	start
	;;
stop)
	stop
	;;
restart|reload)
	stop && echo "$PROGBASE stopped."
	#sleep 8
	start -R && echo "$PROGBASE restarted."
	sleep 1
	status
	;;
condrestart)
	[ "$(pidof $PROGBASE)" ] || exit 0
	#status
	#[ $? != 0 ] || exit 1
	stop
	sleep 1
	start -R && echo "$PROGBASE restarted."
	;;
status)
	status
	exit $?
	;;
 *)
	echo $"Usage: $0 {start|stop|restart|reload|status|condrestart}"
	exit 1
esac
I have tried this package, as well as each of the others I could find and none of them have worked in Carolina, but all of them have worked in my Saluki frugal install, both with and without my save file. I have now tried this on two different Dell laptops with completely different hardware and got the same results. I am completely dumbfounded by this.

Geoffrey

#1159 Post by Geoffrey »

@can8v
I have minidlna working totally in ram no save file, I installed http://smokey01.com/carolina/pet_packag ... static.pet the server is having problems, just right click save Link as.

It's not in the repo as a download yet, I would like to edit the pet and add a few things, this is just to test with if anyone would like to.

I made a the path in /etc/minidlna.conf to my windows partition

media_dir=/mnt/sda1/Documents and Settings/User/My Documents
then run minidlna in a terminal, to stop the server use LXTask in the menu under system.

If you have a windows pc then windows media player will find the media server.

On a Android device I installed VPlayer uPnP and Vplayer, run VPlayer UPnP it will scan for the server, it uses VPlayer for play back.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(18.18 KiB) Downloaded 726 times

Geoffrey

#1160 Post by Geoffrey »

@can8v
Well I've tested the old minidlna-1.0.24-i486.pet again on a clean boot in ram and it is working fine, I really have no idea why it's not working for you, maybe your version of Carolina is at fault, I'll be retaining this version in the repo, so disregard the other that I posted.