Carolina - 1.3

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Geoffrey

#1126 Post by Geoffrey »

Added SpaceFM-0.9.2 to the repo as requested
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

ac2011

Re: Grey/empty desktop with external monitor

#1127 Post by ac2011 »

Geoffrey wrote:
ac2011 wrote: When connecting an external monitor via D-sub VGA cable, the desktop is wiped, no background shows and it's not possible to right-click on it.
I tried this connecting to my TV via D-sub VGA, yes I get this also, I did try connecting the cable after the laptop had loaded Carolina and I had a desktop, I then used xrandr to select the TV, this gave me a screen but as you have described it then maxed out the CPU activity, this as me baffled, I wouldn't even know where to start.
Bah! ;-)

Guess I'll use Carolina on my other laptop and something else Puppy-ish on the 'pseudo-desktop' with the monitor plugged into it. If you do ever track down the cause, I'd love to know.

inoxidabile

#1128 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi everybody ! :)
I would just need a little suggestion.
I would like to know if it's available "something" for anonymous browsing.
My need is to be able to see some web sites and related streamings that have been banned or anything similar.
I saw some suggestion on web, such as change dns but it seems not functioning.
At the time being the only two good tricks have been:
- to use Comodo Browser, but unfortunately it's available only fir Windows and it doesn't run well on wine; :(
- to use Tor Browser (bundle or similar) but it isn't available for Puppy. :(
To the aim of a complete description: I also tried to use some "strange" website acting as a "bridge" and having their own DNS, nodes and so on.
Unfortunately, they are slow (unless of pay some money...).
There is any suggestion about, for a simple solution?
Thanks in advance to everybody :)

OscarTalks

#1129 Post by OscarTalks »

inoxidabile wrote:I would like to know if it's available "something" for anonymous browsing.
My need is to be able to see some web sites and related streamings that have been banned or anything similar....
- to use Tor Browser (bundle or similar) but it isn't available for Puppy.
Several websites have recently been blocked by most of the large ISP's here in the UK even though they only publish information and do not host any illegal material.

I was experimenting with the new Tor Browser Bundle 3.5 in various Puppies yesterday (Wheezy, Slacko and Lucid) and it was working reasonably well including accessing those blocked websites.

It stores profile data inside itself so (for running as root) I installed it into a "tor-browser" sub-folder in /root/my-applications rather than having that data going down the /usr/* path.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=748044

I did try it in Racy but it didn't work because it needs glibc 2.11 so I think that for Carolina you would have to experiment with the glibc upgrade as with SlimBoat. Someone may wish to investigate that or I may take a look myself later.
Oscar in England

inoxidabile

#1130 Post by inoxidabile »

Hi OscarTalks !
Many thanks for Your reply :)
It's sad to hear that also in UK there are some silly blocks by ISP :(
Now I have two pc, both with Carolina, one has 0.7 and the other 1.0 release.
Tor has been one of the options I considered but I must say that I haven't great skills.
I don't know how to update glibc , moreover I would like to avoid "to destroy" two pc systems that are running fine, after all.
And again, it's not clear for me how Comodo browser obtain similar results...
Someone says that it uses its own dns, but if I change it manually (e.g. with the ones from OpenDNS) and then I run Firefox, it isn't enough...
Even if I'm not skilled, my feel is that (maybe) it could be a "simple something else"... anyway, thanks again, I'll keep You updated in case of any news about :)

can8v

Simple File Sharing (SFS)

#1131 Post by can8v »

I have noticed a couple of problems. The first problem is that using the set up tool from the Network menu I was unable to set the server name to anything. When I tried, then clicked apply, the window closed and the change was not saved. I decided to make the change in /usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf directly. After that the server name was finally saved. The rest of the tool seemed to work fine until I tried connecting from another machine. My daughters Win 7 machine doesn't find the share at all and neither does my android tablet or phone. I was able to find the share (albeit inconsistently) from my other laptop using Pnethood running Saluki 0.23. The problem was i could never get authenticated; each attempt resulted in the same login failed message. I tried changing the password from the SFS setup tool which appeared to make the change. Still no luck connecting though. I then tried to use the sample smb.conf1 file by renaming it to smb.conf and naming the original smb.conf3. I edited the file to include my correct share directory and still nothing, despite login not being required in this configuration. Then I switched the smb.conf files back tried a few more times before giving up. I am including the smb.conf text below. If anybody sees what I am doing wrong here I would greatly appreciate some enlightenment, as this "Simple" File Sharing tool seems to be anything, but simple for me right now.

Code: Select all

[global]
dns proxy = no
max log size = 50
domain master = no
domain logons = no
workgroup = Workgroup
netbios name = Carolina
server string = Puppy Samba-TNG Server
security = user
;map to guest = Bad Password
;printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes
guest ok = yes

[Videos]
path = /mnt/sda1/Videos
writable = no
hide dot files = yes
guest ok = no
;force user = root
enabled = yes

[MyDocuments]
path = /root/my-documents
writable = yes
hide dot files = no
guest ok = no
;force user = root
enabled = yes
[/code]

can8v

Carolite 1.1 Trouble with Frisbee

#1132 Post by can8v »

I just tried out Carolite for the first time last night and had quite a strange issue with Frisbee. My WiFi adapter was recognized and networks in the area were scanned. When I tried to connect to my network the dialogs went through the usual pattern and then just before connecting I got the wlan0 down dialog. I tried this several times with the same result. Since I didn't spy any other network connection tools, I used link, iwlist, wpa_passphrase, wpa_supplicant, and dhclient to get myself connected via the command line. Just when I thought I was in the clear, Frisbee turned down wlan0. I opened a terminal, but before I would get myself connected Frisbee reconnected and I saw the dialogue for the ip address roll by. At this point I opened ppm, but before I could even search for any packages Frisbee turned down wlan0 again. This went on for a couple of minutes, so I rebooted only to experience the same thing. I then tried Lina1.1 and I think I am going to stick with it if I can get my issue with the Simple File Sharing worked out, but if anybody has any clues as to why Frisbee would behave that way, I would be interested. It sure has me stumped.

rg66

Re: Simple File Sharing (SFS)

#1133 Post by rg66 »

@ can8v

I just booted without a savefile (pfix=ram) and set up simple file sharing. Booted my win7 box, opened network places and as happens sometimes "Carolina" didn't show. Typed \\carolina in the address bar and it showed up and was working no probs.

Here's my smb.conf

[global]
dns proxy = no
max log size = 50
domain master = no
domain logons = no
workgroup = Workgroup
netbios name = Carolina
server string = Puppy Samba-TNG Server
security = user
map to guest = Bad Password
;printcap name = cups
load printers = yes

[printers]
path = /tmp
printable = yes
guest ok = yes

[Docs]
path = /root/my-documents
writable = no
hide dot files = yes
guest ok = yes
;force user = root
enabled = yes
Not sure what's going on with your machine but sfs has been tested extensively and always seems to work. Maybe it has something to do with your wlan0 dropping. Carolite and Carolina main sfs are basically the same and should work the same, maybe check your Carolite md5sum.

Frisbee doesn't always work on every machine so open app menu > Control Panel > Network > Internet Connection Wizard > yes to disable frisbee > Wired or wireless LAN > Simple Network Setup > wlan0 (it's eth0 for me) > ok to set as default.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

OscarTalks

#1134 Post by OscarTalks »

inoxidabile wrote:Tor has been one of the options I considered
I made an experimental package of Tor Browser with a self-contained glibc upgrade using the method used by poster ac2011 for SlimBoat.

I have named it as "*-racy5.5" because I tested it in Racy 5.5 and it works. For Wary it would need dbus and dbus-glib from PPM.

Carolina users may wish to test it. If it turns out to be any good I guess the Carolina devs would want to repackage/rename it.

It is a browser with some practical operational advantages over the others.

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

Geoffrey

#1135 Post by Geoffrey »

OscarTalks wrote:
I made an experimental package of Tor Browser with a self-contained glibc upgrade using the method used by poster ac2011 for SlimBoat.

I have named it as "*-racy5.5" because I tested it in Racy 5.5 and it works. For Wary it would need dbus and dbus-glib from PPM.

Carolina users may wish to test it. If it turns out to be any good I guess the Carolina devs would want to repackage/rename it.

It is a browser with some practical operational advantages over the others.

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar, it works fine, I will need to edit the menu entry so that it shows, I'll also make it so it is installed to /opt and I'll rename it " tor-browser-3.5-lina ", thanks very much for this.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]

Colonel Panic

#1136 Post by Colonel Panic »

More problems I'm afraid. X Windows crashed for some reason, which wasn't the main problem - what was, was that I was unable to revive it by using xorgwizard and had to wipe the installation.

Sadly, it's a problem I've had with earlier Puppies and I thought it had been overcome but it still seems to persist with current ones.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Geoffrey

#1137 Post by Geoffrey »

@ can8v

I just tried connecting from a window7 machine and it worked fine, I had no problems setting up a shared directory, my Android tablet also finds the share.

Geoffrey

#1138 Post by Geoffrey »

Uploaded tor-browser-3.5-lina.sfs, from the PPM select SFS Downloader or go to the repo http://smokey01.com/carolina/sfs/

Be sure that your clock is set correctly otherwise it won't load tor.
Attachments
tor-browser.jpg
(55.71 KiB) Downloaded 336 times

can8v

#1139 Post by can8v »

@ Geoffry
Thanks for the information, I had a feeling this was an isolated incident worth my time to pursue.
@rg66
Thanks for posting your smb.conf. I will try to boot without the save file and use a different method to connect to the AP. I think you are right Frisbee, may not be a good solution for me in this distro (which is a little sad as I have used it for a couple years successfully in Saluki 021 and 023.

BTW I am really loving all the packages available in Carolina. There is a very smart selection.

can8v

#1140 Post by can8v »

@Geoffry
Thanks for the confirmation that SFS does in fact work and that I was not wasting my time.

@rg66
Typically in a network when one computer is isolated from all the others I start troubleshooting at that computer, it just rational. Well this was not a rational case.

After looking over your smb.conf file I was reassured that I had not made any mistakes there, thanks for posting. I did like you suggested I booted with puppy pfix=ram then used simple network setup instead of Frisbee to connect to the AP. Then setup simple file sharing per the very simple instructions and tried to connect to the share from my other laptop using pnethood running in Saluki 023, NO DICE! At this point I think steam was starting to come out of my ears. I checked from my Android devices and no love there either.

I went back to the laptop and took a look at the options (which I have never had to even look at when connecting to a Windoze share). One second seemed like quite a short time to scan the network, so I increased that setting to 10 seconds and gave it another go. Well about 3 seconds into the scan Bingo! Pnethood finds my newly created shares on the Carolina laptop. I then tried in Android and again ES File Explorer reports a successful scan that found NO shares (seems strange to call that a successful scan). Anyway ES File Explorer allows you to enter the IP address manually and I recalled you stating that sometimes you have to enter the server name in the form of a netbios address,so i manually entered the IP address and still couldn't connect. Finally I decided to hit up the Google Play store and try another client. After quickly reading some reviews and ratings I decided on the X-Plore file Manager. X-plore scanned and almost immediately found the Carolina shares and connected without issue (at least on my tablet). On phone I had to manually enter the IP address, but X-plore did come through for me on this device as well.

I then rebooted using my pupsave file and was still able to connect from all three devices. That rules out anything to do with Frisbee. As strange as it may seem all three other devices were the issue here and once those issues were corrected everything worked fine. Though I cannot comment on why ES File Explorer was unable to connect from either Android device. It was performing about a 20 second scan surely long enough to find the shares and it allowed me to enter the IP address manually, so I doubt it was the same issue Pnethood was having. Whatever the issue it is resolved by using X-plore instead.

Just for grins I rebooted Carolite 1.1 pfix=ram, disabled Frisbee, and used Simple Network Setup instead, and voila I had a reliable connection to the AP. Then a I checked the MD5 which failed. Your instincts were correct on that one, but I don't think I will be downloading Carolite again. With the exception of Firefox I am quite pleased with the selection of apps in the full PAE version. Since this computer is going to be a media server for my home, once it is fully setup the web browser will get very little use anyway.. I am still undecided for my work laptop, which will soon be migrating from Saluki 023 to either Carolina, Carolite, or LXpup. Leaning toward full Carolina at the moment though.

Thank you for all of your contributions and your assistance in this matter. I hope this follow up message proves useful to somebody.
can8v

Geoffrey

#1141 Post by Geoffrey »

@ can8v

I'm glad it's all working for you :wink:

I've uploaded a talking clock I've been working on, it might be handy for those with a vision impairment, it's activated using the mouse, either the screen edges or corners can be set to trigger it, sneeky_talking_clock-1.0.pet, search for sneeky in the PPM.

Let me know if anything is wrong with it, though it should be fine, I've tested it for some time now with no ill effects.
Attachments
sneeky.jpg
(24.04 KiB) Downloaded 775 times

can8v

miniDLNA

#1142 Post by can8v »

Does anyone have miniDLNA working in Carolina 1.1? It installed without a hitch and I edited the minidlna.conf file (same as I did in Saluki 023) just the media location, as follows.

media_dir=/mnt/sda1/Videos
Then I started the server by simply typing "minidlna" into the terminal. This is all that was required on my last puppy.. MiniDLNA made no complaints at all and Carolina already has the libav* libraries that are required by this gem of an application, nevertheless "Puppy DLNA Server" is not showing up on any of my devices (ie. Playstation 3, Smart Blueray Player, Smart TV, Android Tablets and Phones, etc.)
Now that I have XMBC, Handbrake, Thoggen, Simple File Sharing, Clementine, SMPlayer, and VLC all working, MiniDLNA and MakeMKV are my final steps to finishing my new media server. I use this old laptop to rip my DVDs and Bluerays, add them to my server and manage the content, Serve that content to my family of seven using a wide range of devices on several different operating systems. This may be the first time I manage to get everything working without any annoying workarounds like booting into one operating system for ripping encrypted DVDs, another for regular DVDs another to serve the content, etc.

Geoffrey

#1143 Post by Geoffrey »

@ can8v

I installed miniDLNA and configured /etc/minidlna.conf with the path to the video files I have, it works ok using windows media player on Windows 7, also works on my Android tablet.

Geoffrey

#1144 Post by Geoffrey »

Added smplayer-skins-20130605-i486.pet and smplayer-themes-20120919-i486.pet to the repo.
Attachments
smplayer-black.jpg
(23.93 KiB) Downloaded 620 times

don570

#1145 Post by don570 »

I made some changes to Compression 1.8
so it will run on Carolina and many other Puppies.
It has 7z library inside as well as SFR's UExtract 2.7.

It's a complete package to compress and decompress.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78902