Icon Finder v1.4

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
SFR

#16 Post by SFR »

Hey RSH
RSH wrote:LazY Puppy has installed gtkdialog4 (0.8.0) ---> which version of gtkdialog4 do you use?
The very same version.
RSH wrote:Everything works fine if using 12 columns instead of 8 columns!
Confirmed. It seems that the "bug" reveals itself when the list is too long (too height).

but then again...

When IconFinder is launched directly through:
- .desktop symlink (/usr/share/applications)
- .dekstop file (/usr/share/applications-desktop-files/applications)
- shortcut created on the pinboard
- "LazYPuppy" menu in the bottom left corner (!)
it runs without any problems again (5076 icons, 5 columns).

So, the problem pops up when IconFinder is launched via (right click menu entry OR urxvt) AND the list is too long (height).
BTW, it happens also in regular Lupu-528, so it's not LazY specific issue.

But it's still weird and beyond my understanding, so honestly I've no idea how to fix it. :?

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

SFR

#17 Post by SFR »

v1.0 uploaded (see the first post).

Not much has changed really, just a few internal mods to handle errors and to display appropriate messages in such cases.
I just wanted to finish with those beta versions at last. :wink:

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

SFR

#19 Post by SFR »

Thank you Barry, I must have overlooked this when I (briefly) tested the app in Precise.
I've done it like this:

Code: Select all

Categories=Graphics;Viewer
because in Slacko (and probably in other Pups too) if there's just "Viewer", the menu entry appears in "Utility" submenu only.

Thanks again!

Also, there's a problem in Lupu (again) with checking if the app is already running (to prevent multiple instances), so I've removed this until I find more reliable way.

Looks like I was too hasty in ending betas, lol. :wink:

First post updated.

Greetings!

SFR

#20 Post by SFR »

From Precise thread:
drblock2 wrote:[...]iconfinder had left my local machine and had started to download the addresses of all the jpg's on my server. This is why the program appeared to hang.

This unexpected behavior was caused by an unintended interaction with YASSM. iconfinder is configured to search /root among other directories and YASSM mounts the network shares in /root/YASSM - hence the entire network is included in the search rather than just a few local directories where icons are likely to be found.[...]
Whoa, that wasn't planned! :lol:
But it can be useful actually, because IconFinder is flexible enough to search for...wallpapers or photos, for instance.

Fixes & additions in version 1.1:
- from the above issue - added appropriate checkbox in settings; user can choose if any encountered mount point should be included or not (default = not).
- deleted '/etc' path in default settings - icons were never there anyway...
- ".desktop" file rectified again, this time to "Category=X-Graphic-Viewer;Graphics"; the menu entry will be only in Graphic submenu (no longer in Utility) and it's still compatible with Precise (in fact, from there I took the first part of that category name).
- "multiple instances prevention" fixed at last (hopefully).
- Added few checkboxes in settings to get control on filetypes of searched pictures.

First post updated.

Greetings!
Attachments
settings.png
screenshot
(31.38 KiB) Downloaded 972 times

vovchik

#21 Post by vovchik »

Dear SFR,

Very nice little app. Thanks for the update.

With kind regards,
vovchik

SFR

#22 Post by SFR »

Thanks Vovchik!

And here's another update.

I was playing with Fatdog for a while and noticed that IconFinder doesn't work there due to different yaf-splash syntax.
It was a good excuse to replace it entirely with Xdialog and do some other fixes.

Version 1.2 changelog:
- yaf-splash replaced with Xdialog
- progress bar while filtering images (at last one can see "are we there yet?")
- scanning of .svg files is much faster now
- Akita has no 'exiv2', but has 'feh', so .JPGs and .TIFs will be recognized using 'feh' in this Puppy
- added .pnm format
- some internal improvements

First post updated.

Greetings!

SFR

#23 Post by SFR »

I switched to Slacko-5.4 and using Gtkdialog-0.8.2 I was able to display max. ~6000 icons, not ~9000 as it was with Gtkdialog-0.8.0...

I decided to resolve this issue once and for all. I followed RSH's advice and I applied "Tabs".
Number of icons per one tab is set to 1024 (can be amended in Settings; min. 256).
Switching between tabs, with this amount of icons/tab, takes 2-3 seconds, what is quite acceptable IMHO.

Note: There can be problems with menu entry in latest Puppies due to recent changes in petget/woof.
For now I'm not going to do anything with this until the whole situation will be stabilized.
If menu entry won't appear, one can try:
- fixmenus
- launch IconFinder from the terminal (via iconfinder)
- or make a shortcut on the pinboard

Version 1.3 was tested only on Slacko-5.4.
First post updated.

EDIT: I changed the default number of icons/tab from 1024 to 1000...I'm thinking too much in binary. ;)

Greetings!
Attachments
screenshot.png
(176.08 KiB) Downloaded 950 times

tytower

#24 Post by tytower »

I gave this a run -seemed to work great .

However I could not drag the icon to another filer or window to use that icon . I had to reach for paper to write down its location as I was not able to copy its location any way I could find

Writing it down is slow laborious and inaccurate I find

Any way to copy its location? or better be able to drag it as a link?
Last edited by tytower on Sun 20 Jan 2013, 03:34, edited 1 time in total.

SFR

#25 Post by SFR »

What happens when you click an icon?
Such an action should open ROX-Filer window and the icon (its file, actually) you've chosen should blink several times to reveal its exact location.

BTW, if you have thumbnails preview enabled, it may takes some time to refresh all icons in newly opened Filer window (and therefore it's hard to notice that blinking), but it always acts better on the second try, when thumbnails are already cached.

Thanks & Greetings!

tytower

#26 Post by tytower »

Aha click on the icon and i can then drag from the location -Thanks
Would still be nice to be able to copy the path to clipboard or save

SFR

#27 Post by SFR »

Hey Tytower

I doubt if it'd be possible to, eg. drag'n'drop anything from Gtkdialog window to Filer window, but now (in version 1.3.1):
- left-click = locate an icon via ROX-Filer
- right-click = copy icon path to the clipboard (the main clipboard, IOW: CTRL+V to paste, not mouse middle-click)
- middle-click = open dialog window to save an icon in selected dir.

In addition I've added checking if clicked icon still exists and appropriate message if not.

First post updated!

Greetings!

tytower

#28 Post by tytower »

Hi again - I'll stop pestering you after this.
I just went looking for an icon in a file /arduino-1.0.3/ that I knew was there because I could not see it on the prepared list. So I changed the directory that it searched in and it found some but not the one I wanted which was an Arduino .png and tried pointing directly at it but it still did not find it

I attach a screen shot here
Is there a particular reason it did not find it or is it something I have not done properly?

SFR

#29 Post by SFR »

Did you check dimensions of that icon?
By default IconFinder shows images that have max. 64x64 px (you can adjust it in settings).

Another cause could be fake extension - see my first post, "Known issues" paragraph.

This should show is it really .png or sth else:

Code: Select all

file icon_name.png
Greetings!

tytower

#30 Post by tytower »

Yep - changed size to 200 x 200 and down she came

SFR

#31 Post by SFR »

Version 1.4:

- ~250% faster image filtering;
- i18n (gettext) [note: if country settings has been changed it's also necessary to rebuild icon list to see the changes];
- some minor rearrangements;

First post updated!

Greetings!