Is there a FAST mozilla based browser for old PC ?

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
totolanio

Is there a FAST mozilla based browser for old PC ?

#1 Post by totolanio »

Hi,

I'd like to use my previous mozilla profiles into puppy linux on a faster browser if possible, on my 2006 computer (1go ram for example).
That's why I'd like to find a lightweight version of mozilla firefox, there is one called "Light" (light firefox) but it looks like it's only on Windows.

Other alternatives are specially built for modern hardware (palemoon is know for that apparently).

Do you know some ? are they usable on puppy tahr ?

Colonel Panic

#2 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi,

The fastest recent mozilla-based browser I know of is one called Swiftfox. Here are some threads about it;

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 15&t=48126

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 15&t=93584

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 15&t=93945
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#3 Post by Colonel Panic »

Update: I think you need the Swiftfox pet file because the links on Swiftfox's own page seem to have been taken down,. Here's the link to the pet;

http://ulozto.net/xdTfLDt7/swiftfox-3-6-13-pet
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

totolanio

#4 Post by totolanio »

But it's last updated in 2011, right ? :(
It also means all my addons won't work ? (like colorzilla/firebug/all in one gesture etc)

Colonel Panic

#5 Post by Colonel Panic »

I'm afraid you're most likely right, but it's the fastest Mozilla-based browser I know of. Maybe someone else will be along with a better solution for you.

totolanio

#6 Post by totolanio »

:'(
In top of that, on the official mozilla firefox, if you have 2 profiles with similar addons/extensions, you possess them twice ! twice their size so :'(

666philb

#7 Post by 666philb »

what about seamonkey
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

bark_bark_bark

#8 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Seamonkey works well on a potato like yours.

wboz

#9 Post by wboz »

What about Slimboat / Slimbrowser?

bark_bark_bark

#10 Post by bark_bark_bark »

wboz wrote:What about Slimboat / Slimbrowser?
I never used those 2 web browsers, but the OP wants something that is based on Mozilla code (like Firefox or Seamonkey).

And I get that, because Mozilla-based browsers have a very nice selection of addons that really do a good job of increasing privacy and security.

If your 2006 computer has a "Prescott" P4, you should be able to run pale moon really well.

wboz

#11 Post by wboz »

Sorry. I thought they were. I now think I was wrong about that.

However one of the intended features of those is that they include many features as stock that Firefox needs an extension for. So if you just want adblocking and some other stuff, they may still work great (but if you want a SPECIFIC firefox extension then I agree).

bark_bark_bark

#12 Post by bark_bark_bark »

wboz wrote:Sorry. I thought they were. I now think I was wrong about that.

However one of the intended features of those is that they include many features as stock that Firefox needs an extension for. So if you just want adblocking and some other stuff, they may still work great (but if you want a SPECIFIC firefox extension then I agree).
I would go insane without noscript and requestpolicy.

totolanio

#13 Post by totolanio »

Well noscript is very annoying so I don't use it anymore lol
Otherwise I mainly use All In one gesture (very useful), colorzilla, firebug, keylogger beater (yeye ), httpseverywhere and adblock +
Dunno if I can find these in slimboat

I'll have a look at seamonkey but the way it handles tabs is not logical to me (it sux ! xD).

mikeb

#14 Post by mikeb »

I'll have a look at seamonkey but the way it handles tabs is not logical to me (it sux ! xD).
you can change it to the sucky firefox way or better still to the way firefox 1.5 did it...the most logical of them all (fast close multiple tabs safely)... get used to about:config and make browsers BEHAVE in a way you like.

There are tweaks in there that can help speed...eg gif animation disable.... flashblock is worth it too. Css is a big hog nowadays...but dealing with that one gets tricky.

Mike

bark_bark_bark

#15 Post by bark_bark_bark »

mikeb wrote:get used to about:config and make browsers BEHAVE in a way you like.
there is also an options window.

mikeb

#16 Post by mikeb »

not for everything and especially the stuff mozilla have deemed unfashionable or whatever reasons they have for removing functionality :D

mike

Moat

#17 Post by Moat »

mikeb wrote:
not for everything and especially the stuff mozilla have deemed unfashionable or whatever reasons they have for removing functionality :D

mike
Agreed - and I've found, oddly, that some of the menu's options settings don't appear to "stick" through multiple sessions. Assuring those settings (and many others!) via about:config cures it.

Also agree with mikeb about getting dirty with about:config - I've found that a few minutes of tweaking there after a fresh install allows even the latest, bloated Firefoxes to run plenty fast and smooth on even my 10-ish year old hardware. Everybody's MMV, though...

Bob

mikeb

#18 Post by mikeb »

Yes settings that don't work...I managed to get form filling working again via about:config in ff 3.5/6 after they broke it...the config gui simply did not do what it said it would do. As for form history totally messed up in later versions since its now tied to history of pages which I really don't want. ...not worth the 100MB+ profile and are not bookmarks for saving pages you WANT to save? Not to mention those 100+ sqlite data bases contribute to slowdowns... what the hell were their devs snorting when they come up with that stuff? Its like tractors are great...so lets fill up the house with them darling :D

mike

8Geee

#19 Post by 8Geee »

Any ideas as to what sql-db's can get tossed Using AdBlock Plus, Redirect Cleaner, Better Privacy, YouTube HTML5, and FireFTP here. libxul is ginormous at 41Mb/91Mb.
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gcmartin

#20 Post by gcmartin »

A 2006 PC with 1GB RAM is potentially a 64bit PC. If so, you may be slow because of RAM speed, drive speed, or USB controller speed.

Your ceiling in NOT the PUP browser, but the speed of the internet as the CPU and the other items mentioned is ions faster than your internet.

There is one BIG difference in some PUPs versus others...latency.

If your system is 64bit consider FATDOG. It has shortened pathlengths even with its larger complex programs and excellent performance while not being ISO "download heavy". Also, I did have a Simplicity ISO somewhere that, though a much larger ISO, it exhibited the best I had seen in low latency for internet use, as I remember.

Hope this outlook helps