SlimBoat browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
OscarTalks

#76 Post by OscarTalks »

@ slavvo67

The cache is located in /root/.cache/FlashPeak/SlimBoat so you can look there. There is a setting in Tools>Options to delete the cache whenever you close the browser so the data does not need to build up if you don't want it to.

@ Marv and anyone else interested,

I have come up with another cunning plan which does not duplicate the libs and does not increase the size of the package. I have modified the wrapper script thingy so that Slimboat will now find libraries in the subfolders of /usr/lib so it should find the needed libs in either Firefox or Seamonkey in the conventional Puppy configuration.

Tested and Flash Player works in Slacko 5.6 and 5.5 and 5.3.3 but not sure about 5.4 (haven't got that one to hand) which I recall had Opera but those libs were probably included somewhere. Also still works in Wheezy, will check Ubuntu derivs later but probably OK. There are a few whinges in console and a few minor rendering glitches, but for the most part it runs quite well.

For Wary, Racy and derivatives:-
A reminder that it won't run in Wary or Racy unless you do a glibc upgrade which there are a couple of threads about if anyone wants to give that a try (a .pet in my Yandex Disk includes watchdog's fix for locales). You may also need to upgrade libxml2 if you want to remove a whinge in console, but it runs without doing this step.

Any other comments or suggestions welcome. Version 1.1.43 now re-uploaded to my Yandex Disk here:-
http://yadi.sk/d/zTshLczR4wHj8

md5sums
slimboat-1.1.43.pet = 066daf4628984183fb0b2a66be830353
slimboat-1.1.43.sfs = 1f4b1bfd0df5da3817271f1d0fcc0679
Last edited by OscarTalks on Wed 20 Nov 2013, 03:03, edited 3 times in total.
Oscar in England

chapchap70

#77 Post by chapchap70 »

I tried slimboat for the first time the other day with the old 1.1.43 SFS and flash didn't work. The new one enabled flash to work so I was watching youtube videos, etc in Slacko 5.6 and LuPu 5.2.8 version 6.

Nice little browser.

I got a weird error when I tried it in Fatdog. I expected a wrong Elfclass error but I got:

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/slimboat: line 2: /usr/lib/slimboat/slimboat.sh: No such file or directory
# 
I mounted the SFS and manually copied the /usr/lib/slimboat (sfs) to my /usr/lib

Slimboat now works in my Fatdog 621 but with no flash so no videos.

I also had to load the slacko 32 bit sfs.
Last edited by chapchap70 on Mon 02 Jun 2014, 15:06, edited 3 times in total.

slavvo67

Slimboat Cache Files

#78 Post by slavvo67 »

Oscar, thanks for your help but I guess my quesiton was more pertaining to the http: or https: directory under the .cache/Flashpeak/Slimboat directory. The http and https directories fill up with a bunch of cache files making Slimboat no so slim after all.

My question was how can I actually view these .cache files before deleting them to see what's in them? The Flashpeak / Slimboat site avoids that topic. Most other browsers you can see and scrape the files from the cache directory.

Tnanks everyone for reading...

Marv

#79 Post by Marv »

Oscar Talks said:
A reminder that it won't run in Wary or Racy unless you do a glibc upgrade which there are a couple of threads about if anyone wants to give that a try. You may also need to upgrade libxml2.
I have it running in Carolina 1.0 non-PAE (originally had glibc 2.10.x ) using what seems like the latest 2.11 deb from this thread http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 391#437391. Haven't flogged everything but opera,thunar,editors etc all seem ok after the upgrade. SlimBoat just fine with flash.

Posted this earlier in a hurry but it showed up as empty, somehow I whinged the url bars (Thanks Semme). Sorry.

Edit: Now running in lina-lite 005 with the glibc update as above. I submitted a request to SlimBoat re the console font sizes, got a prompt reply and am optimistic a fix will happen.
Last edited by Marv on Wed 20 Nov 2013, 23:41, edited 1 time in total.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

OscarTalks

#80 Post by OscarTalks »

If you find that SlimBoat crashes (segmentation fault) when surfing to certain websites, try removing the tick from the checkbox:-

Tools>Options>New Tab>Auto create new tab when a URL is entered.

I have had no crashes since doing this step.

I believe I now have a better understanding of what is going on with Flash Player and the paths to the mozilla libraries. I have tidied up the code a bit and removed a few duplicate libs so it should work in a greater range of eventualities. The packages are now re-uploaded.

Update:- I have now added an initial config file and re-uploaded so at least the setting above is unticked out of the box. Users should avoid ticking it.
Oscar in England

Marv

fonts fix

#81 Post by Marv »

Version 1.1.44 is out. In tools>options>appearance there is now an option to define the application font. Works nicely for me on my higher resolution screens Only checked under LxPup so far. Nice response from the SlimBoat folks to a request :D

Edit: Also fine in my installs of lina-lite 005, Carolite 1.1, x-precise 2.2 and alphaOS 12.1. The Slimboat fonts now also do seem to track the system fonts better than they did in V1.1.43.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

OscarTalks

#82 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 1.1.44 packages uploaded.

md5sums
.pet = 7070e38bbe8556f7bec9cb479a0c0b63
.sfs = a3fee8988bd3d1edcfa5cf0115292070
Oscar in England

Dewbie

#83 Post by Dewbie »

OscarTalks wrote:
@ Dewbie
Have you managed to get Flash Player working in SlimBoat in Wary?

Now it's my turn to ask you...:lol:

OscarTalks

#84 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Dewbie,

Only if you do the glibc upgrade. I am assured that this does not cause any other issues besides a locale problem which is easily fixed. I have uploaded a .pet which includes that fix to my Yandex Disk, but install at your own risk. Flash Player does now work if do this upgrade, which it didn't before.
Oscar in England

Dewbie

#85 Post by Dewbie »

OscarTalks wrote:
Flash Player does now work if do this upgrade, which it didn't before.
Exactly what did they fix with Flash?
There's no mention of this in the update log.

Previously, it gave me libxml2 errors when launching Flash.
But the Wary version I tested with (5.2.2) has the same libxml2 version as other Puppies that Flash supposedly worked with.

OscarTalks

#86 Post by OscarTalks »

Dewbie wrote: Exactly what did they fix with Flash?
Previously, it gave me libxml2 errors.
Dewbie,

I'm posting from my Slimboat 1.1.44 in Wary 5.5 pfix=ram now
Installed my glibc-2.11.3-4wary5.pet
Flash Player is working
"They" didn't fix anything with Flash

I made some modifications to the launcher / wrapper script in Slimboat to make sure the cluster of 7 libs in the seamonkey directory get found in LD_LIBRARY_PATH. That is why Flash Player works now.

In console I do still get a message:-

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/slimboat/slimboat: /usr/lib/libxml2.so.2: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/slimboat/libs/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0)
...as I always did, but this does not appear to be a fatal error as Slimboat still runs.

If you want to get rid of this warning you can just install my libxml2-2.9.0-w5.pet which I compiled from source and is in my Yandex Disk along with all the other packages here:-
Oscar in England

Dewbie

#87 Post by Dewbie »

OscarTalks wrote:
Installed my glibc-2.11.3-4wary5.pet

After installing glibc-2.11.3-4wary5.pet, first-run dialog boxes reappear in the first boot after save-file setup. Subsequent boots require "xwin" command to access desktop.
Last edited by Dewbie on Wed 25 Dec 2013, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

OscarTalks

#88 Post by OscarTalks »

Hmm, don't really know what to say about that then. I didn't test extensively but the tests I did all seemed OK at the time. What about if you create the save-file first and then do the glibc upgrade? To be honest I have always had my doubts about the idea of a glibc upgrade done in this way and would be reluctant to do such a thing in an everyday pup. I did include a modified /etc/profile in an attempt to resolve the locale issue so maybe that is what is causing the problem. Perhaps that needs to be approached in a different way. Really though we may have to accept that SlimBoat is not guaranteed to run in Puppies with glibc version earlier than 2.11 since that is what it is compiled against. Anyway, I've taken that package down for now and will do more tests when I get time. Cheers.

Later:- I think the issue with the first run dialog is a bug in Wary and not connected to glibc upgrades you know. I do recall it being mentioned before. The dialog box does not appear when you boot the live CD, only on the first boot after a save-file is created.

I have removed the /etc/profile and done some quick tests. It does subsequently boot to desktop without needing "xwin" but you do get the locale warnings in console. Those can be removed by manually editing /etc/profile afterwards.

I do notice that I get fewer errors and warnings in console if I install Flash Player 11 rather than using the native version 10 in Wary.
Oscar in England

Dewbie

#89 Post by Dewbie »

OscarTalks wrote:
I did include a modified /etc/profile in an attempt to resolve the locale issue so maybe that is what is causing the problem...Later:- I think the issue with the first run dialog is a bug in Wary and not connected to glibc upgrades you know. I do recall it being mentioned before. The dialog box does not appear when you boot the live CD, only on the first boot after a save-file is created.

I just tried the official libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb on the same box (under the same conditions) and--besides the broken Pmount--didn't encounter any of these problems.

However, during the same session I found other surprises...:lol:

Oops, almost forgot...:mrgreen: :
Testing results with SlimBoat 1.1.44 / Flash 11.1.102:
Wary 5.1.1: segfaults / crashes with Flash-embedded web pages.
Wary 5.1.4.1: OK, no problems.
Wary 5.2.2: OK, no problems.

On the other hand, Flash 11.1.102 is OK with SeaMonkey.
So that particular version isn't the problem.
(Flash 11.2.202 is a crash-prone mess with any browser. :evil: )

Geoffrey

#90 Post by Geoffrey »

I have made a sfs that includes everything that's needed to run Slimboat in Wary 5.5, it's basically the same as the Carolina one I made but is gzip'ed so Wary will load it, the other difference is that I added libnssutil3.so from SeaMonkey to /usr/lib/slimboat/libs, this gets flash working.

Only try this on in Wary 5.5 if you haven't already done the libc mod, it's a fully self contained install that loads the libc only for Slimboat thus doesn't pollute Wary's existing files.

I have made a pet package also, they can be downloaded from my dropbox.

md5 e2833cca53a536ee57c4685c95ab869d slimboat-1.1.44-wary.sfs

md5 403f6ca0eab7ad3044736ffa5dc482f2 slimboat-1.1.44-wary.pet
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

OscarTalks

#91 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Geoffrey,

Excellent work, cheers for posting those. Certainly the idea of loading the glibc upgrade within the environment for the application is much better than installing it into the entire system. I haven't seen it done that way before (with the ld-linux.so.2) so always happy to learn new methods. It certainly does all work in Wary and Racy for me as you have packaged it.

I was having a bit of a play around with it though. I added a libxml2.so.2 compiled from source to /usr/lib/slimboat/libs which gets rid of the "no version information" whinges in console.

In fact there is no need to duplicate the libnssutil3.so in /usr/lib/slimboat/libs so long as slimboat can find the one in the seamonkey folder. There is a cluster of 7 libs in that folder which browsers need in order to find FlashPlayer. Wary and Racy have 6 of those 7 libs symlinked into /usr/lib but that one symlink for that lib is missing. This does not matter though because /etc/profile has been written to place /usr/lib/seamonkey into the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

So long as Slimboat can find the entire LD_LIBRARY_PATH it can find all those libs and load FlashPlayer. I removed that libnssutil3.so and edited the 2 lines in the slimboat.sh into 1 line which sets up the library path so that all needed libraries can be found. I believe that list of library paths is in order of preference from left to right. I guess you could just list all the needed paths as opposed to using $LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the end. FlashPlayer still loads and works anyway.

I am wondering if the /etc and /usr sub-folders (and contents) in the glibc2113 folder can be removed. I suspect they may be surplus to requirements and would not be found in that location anyway. I think only the libs in the /lib sub-folder are needed. As a test I removed the other sub-folders and it all still appears to work just the same.

I am just learning by experimenting here so let me know if you reckon any of my thinking is flawed.
Oscar in England

Geoffrey

#92 Post by Geoffrey »

OscarTalks wrote:Hello Geoffrey,

Excellent work, cheers for posting those. Certainly the idea of loading the glibc upgrade within the environment for the application is much better than installing it into the entire system. I haven't seen it done that way before (with the ld-linux.so.2) so always happy to learn new methods. It certainly does all work in Wary and Racy for me as you have packaged it.

I was having a bit of a play around with it though. I added a libxml2.so.2 compiled from source to /usr/lib/slimboat/libs which gets rid of the "no version information" whinges in console.

In fact there is no need to duplicate the libnssutil3.so in /usr/lib/slimboat/libs so long as slimboat can find the one in the seamonkey folder. There is a cluster of 7 libs in that folder which browsers need in order to find FlashPlayer. Wary and Racy have 6 of those 7 libs symlinked into /usr/lib but that one symlink for that lib is missing. This does not matter though because /etc/profile has been written to place /usr/lib/seamonkey into the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

So long as Slimboat can find the entire LD_LIBRARY_PATH it can find all those libs and load FlashPlayer. I removed that libnssutil3.so and edited the 2 lines in the slimboat.sh into 1 line which sets up the library path so that all needed libraries can be found. I believe that list of library paths is in order of preference from left to right. I guess you could just list all the needed paths as opposed to using $LD_LIBRARY_PATH on the end. FlashPlayer still loads and works anyway.

I am wondering if the /etc and /usr sub-folders (and contents) in the glibc2113 folder can be removed. I suspect they may be surplus to requirements and would not be found in that location anyway. I think only the libs in the /lib sub-folder are needed. As a test I removed the other sub-folders and it all still appears to work just the same.

I am just learning by experimenting here so let me know if you reckon any of my thinking is flawed.
Hi OscarTalks,

Most of that which I did was the work of ac2011 that started HERE, when it was first tried the glibc files were extracted from the deb to a tmp directory and that was loaded, I just thought it would be better combined with Slimboat in a single package, I think it's better this way so as not to pollute the system,

I guess your right, I wondered the same thing about the extra files whether or not they were needed, but I just left it as is, it worked ok in Carolina, I only found that the flash player didn't work in Wary.

It would be good to sort it out and optimize it by removing superfluous files, I'm sure that you are a lot better than I in working out the paths and files needed, rg66 asked me the other day if the same thing could be done with Chrome browser, I'm guessing there maybe a lot more to that though, but it's worth looking at, but I don't think I would be the best person to investigate the possibility due to my lack of knowledge, it does overwhelm me sometimes.
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

OscarTalks

#93 Post by OscarTalks »

Version 1.1.45 is out.
This fixes the YouTube video downloader button which went missing.
http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks
Oscar in England

gcmartin

#94 Post by gcmartin »

The YOUTUBE video download button is NOT present on my v1.1.45.

My distro is Slacko 5.6.5.6. Built-in has FF ESR which works without any issues. And has Flash subsystem installed from its Menu>Internet>GETFLASH Install ...

And, on webpages some items dont work. For example:
  • drag a URL link from a webpage window to the tab bar; results in drag arrow showing not allowed. To open a tab one must manually right-click and select ...tab to have a tab to open to the new URL
  • On YouTube page, I cannot type in search window. Corrected: Restart of desktop cause this problem to disappear.
  • Clicking on a YouTube URL does NOT run the video.To name a few. Corrected: Restart of desktop cause this problem to disappear.
Please advise

Edited: added "corrected" info after desktop restart

OscarTalks

#95 Post by OscarTalks »

Confirmed the downloader button has gone again. I think this is changes made by YouTube to the website, not sure if it is intended to block downloaders.

The opening of links in a new tab may be the option in the preferences. You can try ticking it but I unset it because it was causing crashes on some websites if activated.
Oscar in England