Fixing My PUP001 File--Need Pointers

Booting, installing, newbie
Weeble

Fixing My PUP001 File--Need Pointers

#1 Post by Weeble »

I'm having problems with my PUP001 file and am thinking I need to set up a fresh one and move over the important stuff, unless there's a way to fix my present one. Either way, I don't know what to do, and need some pointers. I am presently using the Puppy 1.0.8r1 LiveCD (I previously used at least 1.0.7, 1.0.8 Beta(where some of my problems started) on an old generic AMD-K6-2/300, 256MB RAM. My hard drives are set up as FAT32 (originally under Windows 95B). I'm not new to personal computing (I started in 1987 with a TRS-80 Model III) but I am new to Linux and am at the stage of "I know how to do it, but I don't know how to do it in Linux." Any and all help will be appreciated.

Here are my problems:
1) I have to set up ALSA on each boot. Apparently some files are missing. The technical details are in a post I made to the Users forum under "Can't save ALSA config".

2) After I used 1.0.8 beta, I couldn't go back to 1.0.7 without the desktop coming up funny--particularly, the Start menu icon, the taskbar elements and the window headers come up in small letters on red background. It doesn't do that with 1.0.8x.

3) I'm having problems with Sylpheed. I have multiple accounts under Hotpop.com (they don't have webmail access, so POP3 is the only way to get at the mail) and I can only access the first one I set up. With the rest, I get connection errors, even though the setup is identical. I would especially appreciate help that I can apply to my Gmail accounts as well. I'm having to access them via webmail.

I'd like to save some of what's in my present PUP001 such as my email and Sylpheed settings, Mozilla settings (particularly my bookmarks), GAIM settings and desktop setup. I presume that there is a way to mount another PUP001 file, copy those files and then nuke the old PUP001 file. What I need to know is what parameters I would use with mount to mount another PUP001 file.

Would it be comparable to the commend to mount an iso, such as: "mount -o loop -t ext2fs /mnt/home/PUP002 /mnt/pupxxx" (presuming that either the new PUP file would be 002 or the old one would be 002)? Or would the command be different?

Once mounted, what directories/files should be moved to the new PUP file? I'm suspecting that after I got the new PUP file working properly I would move these from /root in the old one; Mail, my-applications, my-documents, my-roxapps, Grokweeble-Hotpop (the one Hotpop.com account that works), .gaim, mozilla, .nedit, and .usr (plus some special directories I've created for my own use). Did I leave anything out? Did I include something I shouldn't? Except for my settings of preference (like the desktop arrangements) and data, I'd just let Puppy regenerate the settings from scratch.

While I'm talking about invisible directories, is there a way to burn them to CD-R? I've tried loading the /root directory into Graveman for burning, but I end up with a lot of unnamed directories and files (presumably invisible ones?) I guess I could burn the whole PUP001 file to CD and then mount it, but I'd like to burn 'em straight to the CD for direct reference. Anyone have experience with bkup2cd or cdtar (listed in the Utilities section of the Start menu) for this purpose?

While I'm asking, is there a document sketching out "the anatomy of PUP001" or "the anatomy of the Puppy Linux filesystem?" That could be helpful for the future.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. If you choose to IM me, I am most easily reached at Yahoo! and AIM after that. When you IM me, please let me know you're part of the Puppy Linux group--I generally don't accept "friend list" requests and am quick to block people who don't let me know why they're connecting to me up-front. Thanks again!
I'm "Weeble" from Groklaw. Hi, y'all!

MU

#2 Post by MU »

.usr

no, at least it is risky.
This overrides files in /usr, but does not update your menu-entries.
The cleaner way is to re-install the corresponding dotpups.
But if you have luck, it works.

The other folders you mentioned should be ok.

Mounting is simple

mkdir /root/mount
cd /mnt/home
mount -o loop pup001-old /root/mount

Then you have everything in /root/mount
When you copied everything you need, unmount it:
umount /root/mount

Mark