mtpaint 3.49.12- April 2016

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
technosaurus

#226 Post by technosaurus »

Does anyone know of a standard way that a program can edit or just view a specific Mime-type. I looked all through http://standards.freedesktop.org but nothing seemed to handle this distinction.

AFAICT there is no way to specify one over another in a .desktop file.
mtpaint is one of those programs that can open X different types and write Y different types.

The reason I ask is that I would like to integrate this info into the package manager and even Rox-Filer's Mime handling such that if you try to open any recognized mime type it will select the user's default OR give the user a selection of apps that support it (with not-installed ones grayed out and will auto-install if clicked). Also if the user right clicks for edit there would be a similar menu except I would also add an asterisk to apps that supported reading but not writing a MIME (as with some of the image formats supported by mtpaint)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

don570

#227 Post by don570 »

I've posted the mypaint backgrounds on the first post so users can use them.

Instructions:

Load a background in a mtpaint layer, then do a 'Resize'
Select 'Tile' and enter the dimensions of image desired.

Here I have taken a background and resize with the 'Tile' feature then a 45 degree rotate.

don570

mtpaint 3.44.91

#228 Post by don570 »

New developments in mtpaint 3.44.91
* Scripting added - "Image->Script" to enter or run a script : See handbook section A.9 for details
* Commandline mode added - use "mtpaint --cmd" to run a script without GUI
* Lasso tool can be configured to shrink selection based on the selection channel - right click the tool icon
* Background layer position now can be changed via Ctrl+arrows or layers window spinbuttons, like any other layer
* Ctrl+Right click now deletes last point when making polygonal selection (from a closed polygon, deletes the point nearest to cursor)
* Shift and Shift+Ctrl now constrain selection box width/height when resizing it by clicking and dragging
* Zooming now can use mouse cursor position as its fixed point (Preferences->Interface->Zoom on cursor position)
* Scroll wheel zoom now works for view window too
* "Hide image" and "View alpha as an overlay" can now be toggled separately for each layer (Preferences->General->Enable overlays by layer)
* New keyboard shortcut Ctrl+H added for Channels->Hide image
* New image format PMM (Portable MultiMap) added for interoperable storage and exchange of images : See handbook section A.2 for details
* XPM files with 65-92 colours are now saved with smaller size
* Raw RGB palette files (6-bit PAL and 8-bit ACT) can now be loaded/saved via the Palette menu
* Animation cycles can now specify sequence steps as containing several layers, or none : See handbook section 9.3.3 for details
* Committing paste when changing tool is now enabled by default
* Saving an image now commits paste if auto commit mode is enabled
* "Scale canvas" and "Resize canvas" now remember their aspect ratio toggle setting
* The Free Rotate window now remembers the previous rotation angle in that mtPaint session
* Dock area state is now remembered across sessions (unless opened automatically, for multiple files on command line)
* Alpha values for colours A & B are now displayed on settings toolbar when editing image with alpha in coupled alpha mode
* Undo system now uses a bit less memory
* Support for compiling with giflib 5, libpng 1.6, libjpeg 9, OpenJPEG 2 added
* BUGFIX - Compilation without JPEG and TIFF support now works again
* BUGFIX - FreeType text tool now skips directory loops when scanning font directories
* BUGFIX - Geometry info on the status bar now correctly updates after arrow keys or Escape key
* BUGFIX - Gradient button no longer fails to show current gradient mode after showing settings toolbar
* BUGFIX - Ctrl+left/right/double click now set both colour and alpha from canvas in coupled alpha mode, as they should
* BUGFIX - New image creation from system clipboard now respects "Undoable" toggle
* BUGFIX - Problem with layers list in inactive dock tab sometimes not updating is now eliminated
* BUGFIX - All keyboard shortcuts now work in Image View mode, as they should
* BUGFIX - PAM files with type BLACKANDWHITE are no longer loaded as grayscale (except if written as grayscale - ImageMagick does that)
* BUGFIX - Animation cycling now doesn't skip over the last frame of a GIF loaded into layers
* BUGFIX - Background layer is now made large enough to accommodate all frames when loading animation into layers
* BUGFIX - Animation cycles are now properly updated when layers are reordered, duplicated or deleted
* BUGFIX - Command line switches beyond the first one are now parsed properly
* BUGFIX - Listing a directory containing files with broken date/time in builtin file selector on Windows doesn't cause crash
* BUGFIX - Rare problem of undo system ignoring a changed pixel is now eliminated
* BUGFIX - Polygonal selections no longer skip some contour pixels in certain situations
* BUGFIX - Canvas window now doesn't lose mouse button press event if dock window has focus
* BUGFIX - Problem with command line window wrongly reacting to mouse in some cases is now eliminated
* BUGFIX - Escape and Enter keys now work properly in all dialogs in GTK+1
* BUGFIX - Dropping colours to palette in builtin colour selector now works properly in GTK+1

technosaurus

#229 Post by technosaurus »

Anyone know where the development version of the handbook is?
Lots of new and awesome stuff since the last release.

I'd like to add the PMM format to my MIME-Type detection library.
even though its not at IANA yet because it does seem to be useful.
I assume the extension is .pmm???
I'm using magic@offset based detection as well so if there is a solid spec, I would prefer to use that rather than reverse engineering it from code or images (my automagic finder code is hit/miss).
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

wjaguar

#230 Post by wjaguar »

technosaurus wrote:Anyone know where the development version of the handbook is?
Partly still in my to-do list. :-) Other parts, on my flash drive.
Should have put it on Github too, I know - but the source format is somewhat idiosyncratic (txt2tags), and I have not yet investigated how best to stuff image files into git.
I'd like to add the PMM format to my MIME-Type detection library.
Then do the same thing mtPaint does in do_detect_format(): compare first 12 bytes to "P7\n#MTPAINT#".
I assume the extension is .pmm???
By default, yes. But not necessarily.
if there is a solid spec, I would prefer to use that rather than reverse engineering it from code or images
That part has actually been written, yes. And I'll finally put it on Github before long.
But PMM itself is nothing esoteric - it extends NetPBM's PAM in a compatible way, so that all NetPBM tools work with PMM files as with regular PAM.

technosaurus

#231 Post by technosaurus »

wjaguar wrote:Then do the same thing mtPaint does in do_detect_format(): compare first 12 bytes to "P7\n#MTPAINT#".
Done
That part has actually been written, yes. And I'll finally put it on Github before long.
I'll keep an eye out. Any thoughts on making the next "release" a major version bump [/quote]

wjaguar

#232 Post by wjaguar »

technosaurus wrote:Any thoughts on making the next "release" a major version bump
Version 4.00 was destined to be when frameset support were to be added - for handling animation strips as single layers. Version 2.00 happened when mtPaint got layers, 3.00 when it got channels, no reason to break the sequence.
But that development got stalled. :-( First, by futility of it all in the face of the project becoming history after GTK+2 goes to unmaintained - and then, by the transition to V-code, with the intent to cheat said fate. :-)
As the result, the present version just barely deserves a "3.50" designation; and if not for scripting, it would have to be a "3.45".

don570

#233 Post by don570 »

I made the pet package for 3.44.91. Posted it on first post.
(note that it won't work for April or April64)

I tested it for a day and the only complaint is
the overprinting of font characters at the bottom of the document window
when the selection tool is selected and the document window isn't wide enough.

If I widen the document window then the font characters will space themselves properly.

wjaguar

#234 Post by wjaguar »

don570 wrote:the overprinting of font characters at the bottom of the document window when the selection tool is selected and the document window isn't wide enough.
Cannot be helped. If the window is not wide enough for everything, the only recourse is to display less than everything; "Preferences->Status Bar" is for that.

don570

#235 Post by don570 »

For the emboss effect on a color picture here is the script command.
Note that strong quotes are used when you write out the entire menu item.

Otherwise , just the first name will do the trick.

Code: Select all

-effect/gaussian=10 -effect/'Greyscale (Gamma corrected)'  -effect/emboss    -effect/transform contrast=99

esmourguit

#236 Post by esmourguit »

Bonjour à toutes et tous,

@ wjaguar

Thank you for this new update.

It does not matter, but would it be possible to improve the ability to translate some functions in menu :
In menu File, sub menu Actions :
View EXIF data (leafpad)
View filesystem data (xterm)
Edit in Gimp
View in
Print image
Email image
Send image to Firefox
Send image to OpenOffice
Edit Clipboards
Time delayed screenshot
View image information

In menu File, sub menu Configure : all actions ...

In menu View
Show Dock
Tracing Image
Snap To Tile Grid
Move lines's Up

In menu View, sub menu Configure Grid
Smart grid

In menu Image, sub menu Preferences, in tab général
Max threads (0 to autodetect)

In menu Image, sub menu Preferences, in tab Interface
Zoom on cursor position

In menu Image, sub menu Preferences, in tab Files
Write TGAs in bottom-up row corner
Apply color profile

In menu Image, sub menu Preferences, in tab Paths
Default theme
In menu Image, Sub menu Segment ...

In menu Image, in sub menu Segment ...
Threshold
Minimum Size

In menu Palette
Dither A
Pick Gradient ...

In menu Effets
Difference of Gaussians ...

and i don't remember where : Move lines's Up

Many thanks:

Cordialement ;)
[url=http://moulinier.net/][color=blue][b]Toutou Linux[/b][/color][/url] - [url=http://toutoulinux.free.fr/pet.php][color=blue][b]Paquets français[/b][/color][/url]

wjaguar

#237 Post by wjaguar »

esmourguit wrote:would it be possible to improve the ability to translate some functions in menu :
It would, if somebody had done the translating. ;-)
https://translations.launchpad.net/mtpa ... translated

charlie6

mtpaint fr translation

#238 Post by charlie6 »

Hi esmourguit
hi wjaguar,

maye this could help

Cheers, Charlie
Attachments
mtpaint.mo.tar.gz
(24.54 KiB) Downloaded 244 times

wjaguar

Re: mtpaint fr translation

#239 Post by wjaguar »

charlie6 wrote:maye this could help
OK, now I remembered you posting this, and the .po source to it, to this forum nearly an year ago. So it nearly got lost to the waters of Lethe. :-(
But as the things stand, the translation needs some corrections. Particularly as to the "Explode frames"; here "explode" being just a fancy word for "unpack", it is better be translated as such. Also, "tracing" in "Tracing image" is translated as a verb when it is an adjective there.
Also some terminology clashes. "Mirror" and "Invert" in the help text do not match to same things elsewhere; verb choice for "Snap to grid" is different from the same in GIMP. Something needs be done about that.

And all the above is precisely why new translations should not just be dropped into the forum and promptly forgotten about. I do check them for correctness, and when there is no one to fix, or explain away, apparent problems... what am I to do with such a halfbaked update?

don570

#240 Post by don570 »

version 3.44.92 available in first post
Note : it doesn't work for April or April64

When saving multiple layers as composite image
the transparency number of the bottom layer is shown in the save dialog.
You can change this if you wish , but it shouldn't be necessary.

The transparency color of the higher layers can be different than the
lowest layer (called the background layer). This gives the user the flexibility
of having a different transparency color for each layer and the composite
image that is saved will be accurate.

To see an accurate representation of the final composite image,
you should tick the box that shows all layers
and then click on the background layer's name in the dock.
The transparent area will be grey.

If you aren't in the background layer , it is easy to become confused
about what area is transparent in the final composite image.

You should practise with a multi-layer document that has a different
transparency color for each layer.

vicmz

#241 Post by vicmz »

wjaguar wrote:
charlie6 wrote:maye this could help
OK, now I remembered you posting this, and the .po source to it, to this forum nearly an year ago. So it nearly got lost to the waters of Lethe. :-(
But as the things stand, the translation needs some corrections. Particularly as to the "Explode frames"; here "explode" being just a fancy word for "unpack", it is better be translated as such. Also, "tracing" in "Tracing image" is translated as a verb when it is an adjective there.
Also some terminology clashes. "Mirror" and "Invert" in the help text do not match to same things elsewhere; verb choice for "Snap to grid" is different from the same in GIMP. Something needs be done about that.

And all the above is precisely why new translations should not just be dropped into the forum and promptly forgotten about. I do check them for correctness, and when there is no one to fix, or explain away, apparent problems... what am I to do with such a halfbaked update?
Poedit (and Launchpad, I think) enables side comments in .po files to guide translators. Maybe you could tell us how to interpret the texts by this method.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

wjaguar

#242 Post by wjaguar »

vicmz wrote:Poedit (and Launchpad, I think) enables side comments in .po files to guide translators. Maybe you could tell us how to interpret the texts by this method.
And a fat lot of good would that do for the parts that are already misinterpreted.
Anyhow, this being flatly ignored for most part of a month is a plain signal to me that nobody really cares.

don570

#243 Post by don570 »

New version 3.44.93

-allows font to be scripted - see next post

don570

#244 Post by don570 »

Note the fonts colour is determined by the colour a
Note that British spelling of colour is used
Check which freetype fonts are available by pressing T

The following command will set colour a to yellow and colour b to light greyish

-palette/edit=a colour=yellow =b colour=#EEEEEE

Now to paste a text box into an image layer, here are some examples...
('Background colour'=222 is optional)

# Text example
-edit/freetype  'Background colour'=222  font='DejaVu Sans'   style=bold size=15  text="Here is some
text"

# Text example
-edit/freetype   'Background colour'=222  font='URW Chancery L' size=15   text="Here is some
text"

# Text example
-edit/freetype   'Background colour'=222  font='Bitstream Vera Serif' size=22 text="Here is some
text"

# Text example
-palette/edit=a colour=red
-edit/freetype  font='DejaVu Sans'   size=15  text="Here is some
text"

You should always mention the font family!!!

Here's an explanation why.

If the font family isn't mentioned the current font is used as default.
In puppy linux this is usually dejavu sans which has a bold bitmap available.

This should work in most cases, however it WON'T work if the
un-named font doesn't have a bold bitmap available, such as symbols or
Liberation Mono (see as well the examples at end of this post)

# Text example will work most of time
-palette/edit=a colour=yellow
-edit/freetype   style=bold size=15  text="Here is some
text"

The following will work because there is no style mentioned.
The text will be converted to symbols.

size=1 refers to the normal size of this font

# Text example
-palette/edit=a colour=yellow
-edit/freetype    size=1  font='B Symbol'     text="Here is some
text"

The following script won't work because there is no bold bitmap in Liberation Mono .
Remove style=bold and it should work.

# Text example won't work because no bold available
-edit/freetype  'Background colour'=222 style=bold font='Liberation Mono'     text="Here is some
text"
Last edited by don570 on Thu 14 May 2015, 22:50, edited 5 times in total.

don570

#245 Post by don570 »

I discovered that font='B Symbol'
does require a size be given

size=1 will give the normal size
and size=2 will give double size etc.

font='URW Chancery L' doesn't have any bold bitmaps
so don't use style=bold with that font

Also it's not wise to use this command unless you specify the font.