mtpaint 3.49.12- April 2016

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
wjaguar

Testing version 3.44.69

#106 Post by wjaguar »

And if someone is feeling adventurous :-) he can compile version 3.44.69 from Github and test whether I broke something in there again.

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-

don570

#107 Post by don570 »

I just downloaded version 3.44.71.
I will post it in a few days.

don570

#108 Post by don570 »

Blender 2.71 is close to release. New features ....
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:R ... Notes/2.71

don570

#109 Post by don570 »

Version 3.44.71 available on first post

Updated v-code

don570

#110 Post by don570 »

version 3.44.72 available on first post

I added Charlie's French translation in NLS package.
_________________________________________-

don570

#111 Post by don570 »

version 3.44.74 available in first post

- French translation is now builtin to NLS after compiling

greengeek

#112 Post by greengeek »

I have just been using version 3.44.74 to alter an icon that uses transparency and I have been using the ctrl-Lclick to pick pixels of a suitable colour/intensity from one area in order to paste them over other pixels that need changing.

The problem I am having is that I can't be sure if the pixel I am using as the 'donor' has transparency or not - and I seem to be transferring transparency onto places i don't want it. I can't see this when I am working in mtpaint as the chequerboard background partially alters the hue of the pixels that have transparency.

However, I can see it when I eventually use the icon on my desktop and have a solid background colour that shows through.

This is mostly an issue because my icon colours are so similar to the chequerboard colours. Is there any way to change the chequerboard colours to a solid background temporarily so I can immediately see how my icon will look against different background colours?

Alternatively, is there any way I can select a single pixel and see a realtime display of the hue/intensity and transparency of that one pixel before I use it as a donor and ctrl/Lclick it?

(And should I be posting such a question in a different thread?)
Attachments
transparency_grid_confusion.jpg
(80.96 KiB) Downloaded 217 times

wjaguar

#113 Post by wjaguar »

greengeek wrote:Is there any way to change the chequerboard colours to a solid background temporarily so I can immediately see how my icon will look against different background colours?
Open the view window. ;-) It exists for precisely that.
Alternatively, enable "Show all layers in main window", put your desired background image into background layer, and edit your icon in a layer above that.
Alternatively, is there any way I can select a single pixel and see a realtime display of the hue/intensity and transparency of that one pixel before I use it as a donor and ctrl/Lclick it?
"Preferences->Status Bar->Pixel (RGB)"

greengeek

#114 Post by greengeek »

wjaguar wrote:Open the view window. ;-) It exists for precisely that.
thank you, that is very handy. Once I switch on the view window the background is mid grey, and I see that I can change the background tone of the view window by altering the "Greyscale backdrop" setting in the "interface" tab of the image preferences - if I change it from the default of '180' and set it to '255' the background becomes fully white and that does help me see the transparency much better - but if there is some way to change the view background to something other than greyscale that will be even better for some of the icons i hope to modify. Is that possible? Would it be possible to add a way to pick the background from a colourwheel maybe?

"Preferences->Status Bar->Pixel (RGB)"
I always wondered what those numbers meant... :-)
many thanks!

greengeek

#115 Post by greengeek »

...and on a similar note - is there a way to highlight (select) a single pixel and key in the actual RGB + A value you want that pixel to have?

EDIT - ignore this. I applied my brain cell (only the size of a pixel) and realised I need to manually set the colour and transparency using the colour editor (clicking on the red block that shows the A and B colour) and then use the pencil icon to drop one pixel of that colour in the required spot.

I shall practice this a bit.

wjaguar

#116 Post by wjaguar »

greengeek wrote:if there is some way to change the view background to something other than greyscale that will be even better for some of the icons i hope to modify. Is that possible? Would it be possible to add a way to pick the background from a colourwheel maybe?
Not at the moment. Having it as greyscale allows clearing background with memset() function, instead of an RGB copying loop - maybe not a noticeable speedup on todays' hardware, but I'm too lazy to measure it and make sure of that. :-)
Besides, no real need for that, for the same can be done with layers. A background layer can be cleared to any color - and placed under image layer, it'll show in view window, covering the default background.

don570

#117 Post by don570 »

New version 3.44.77

I checked the installation of wacom driver and mtpaint handbook
using precise puppy 5.7.1.
Both are fine.

wjaguar

Version 3.44.78

#118 Post by wjaguar »

Now with version 3.44.78, transition to V-code is effectively done.
There will be cosmetic changes, and then documenting the V-code itself - but the actual rewrite is finished. 99% of GTK+ calls eradicated from the code outside of V-code interpreter.

Now the question is - which toolkit to use for V-code's second backend?
Because the more I see of GTK+3, the less I like what I see. And now that I can keep any C++ toolkit tamely isolated behind a nice, pure C, wall of V-code APIs - my dislike of C++ doesn't matter that much anymore.

-= With best regards, Dmitry Groshev, maintainer of mtPaint =-

gjuhasz

Visible dock at startup?

#119 Post by gjuhasz »

Hi,

I compiled version 3.44.77 for Puli, works fine.

Just one question: How should I configure mtPaint to open with dock visible?

Thanks.

Regards,

gjuhasz

wjaguar

Re: Visible dock at startup?

#120 Post by wjaguar »

gjuhasz wrote:How should I configure mtPaint to open with dock visible?
No such option for now, but can be done with a trivial patch. Is pressing "F12" too much work, or what? ;-)

don570

#121 Post by don570 »

Warning : If you compile the current version of mtpaint 3.44.78
the app will show the wrong version at top of window.
However this is not a serious bug.

Dimitri has finished the conversion to vcode 8)

technosaurus

Re: Visible dock at startup?

#122 Post by technosaurus »

wjaguar wrote:
gjuhasz wrote:How should I configure mtPaint to open with dock visible?
No such option for now, but can be done with a trivial patch. Is pressing "F12" too much work, or what? ;-)
In some versions of puppy, jwm captures f12 to display the start menu.
I would prefer that as the default too instead of the extra floating window that I always close and then use the menus to set the dock... it just looks cleaner and is more usable (no constant dragging crap around to get it out of the way as more windows get opened).
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Dingo

Re: Version 3.44.78

#123 Post by Dingo »

wjaguar wrote:Now with version 3.44.78, transition to V-code is effectively done.
so, now has libmtpixel any chance to be improved? It was a powerful piece of command line application, despite its limitations, for same tasks I use libmtpixel daily since is able to perform manipulations that I cannot to do with imagemagick or graphicsmagick
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

technosaurus

#124 Post by technosaurus »

Dingo wrote:
wjaguar wrote:Now with version 3.44.78, transition to V-code is effectively done.
so, now has libmtpixel any chance to be improved? It was a powerful piece of command line application, despite its limitations, for same tasks I use libmtpixel daily since is able to perform manipulations that I cannot to do with imagemagick or graphicsmagick
Mark Tyler is still maintaining that as part of mtcelledit
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtcelle ... tCellEdit/
see also http://www.exactcode.com/site/open_source/exactimage/
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Dingo

#125 Post by Dingo »

I tried countless times to build exactimage companion in Puppy 3.01, 4.3.1. 5.2.5

but every time I ended with a binary that was apparently rightly build, but that was unable to process or open/read any image
exactimage:successful built - binaries not properly working
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux